RemedySpot.com

Re: Article in newspaper about my family/celiac...modified corn starch

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

That was a great article!!! Now, I have to ask, because I thought it was safe. Modified corn starch is not gluten free? If so, this would explain why my son was having problems when I kept reintroducing dairy until this last time when I told him no yogurt. Thanks! Christian <scchris77@...> wrote: Definitely a great article. I was diagnosed about a year ago and still feel symptoms of brain fog and exhaustion. I was beginning to wonder if

this is just how it's going to be. I was slipping a little bit, but have recently realized there is no slipping. Gluten has to be 100% gone no questions asked. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms.Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: I remember coming home after three hours of class (while studying for my Real Estate license), and just bawling my eyes out because I was sooooooooo tired. I needed to sleep for at least six hours, but had to pick my son up at 3:30, and if I went to sleep, I couldn’t wake up. I wanted my license so bad, but I just didn’t understand how I would get up in the morning, go to work, pick up my son, cook dinner, put him to bed, then wake up the next day and do it all over again with only 8 hours of sleep. Then my husband & I fasted (juice fast) for 21 days. The first thing I had to eat after the fast was a piece of ravioli, only one – within 10 minutes, I had a reaction. Voila! We knew. I guess we should have figured it out when I had more energy NOT eating then when I did… From:

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Joe Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:14 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Article in newspaper about my family/celiac Great article. That pretty much describes how I felt, and I'm sure many of the rest of us here went through similar experiences. To this day it amazes me how much and for how long I didn't realize I was

sick until after changing my diet. -Joe-- Joe http://sanbeiji.com/ On 5/2/07, Amy Bhatnagar < amy.bhatnagarcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: Hi All, This article is in the local paper where my parents live.....it's a smaller town just outside of Madison, Wisconsin. The article is the 2nd one in the lifestyle section and the link is http://www.sunprairiestar.com/this_week/thisweek.html Enjoy! Amy in Sunnyvale, CA Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car"

smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Sorry about the confusion! She misquoted us in a few places, so my mom is planning on getting corrections printed. Modified corn starch is fine (she had said "modified food starch") and so are most burgers (without the bun of course!).

We were happy that they devoted such a large space to celiac disease, but it would have been nice if my mom could have proofed it first. The last thing we need is more mis-information! But overall, we were happy with the article and how in depth she went!

Amy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 10:46 PM

Subject: RE: [ ] Article in newspaper about my family/celiac...modified corn starch

That was a great article!!! Now, I have to ask, because I thought it was safe.

Modified corn starch is not gluten free? If so, this would explain why my son was having problems when I kept reintroducing dairy until this last time when I told him no yogurt.

Thanks!

Christian <scchris77 > wrote:

Definitely a great article. I was diagnosed about a year ago and still feel symptoms of brain fog and exhaustion. I was beginning to wonder if this is just how it's going to be. I was slipping a little bit, but have recently realized there is no slipping. Gluten has to be 100% gone no questions asked. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms.Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> wrote:

I remember coming home after three hours of class (while studying for my Real Estate license), and just bawling my eyes out because I was sooooooooo tired. I needed to sleep for at least six hours, but had to pick my son up at 3:30, and if I went to sleep, I couldn’t wake up.

I wanted my license so bad, but I just didn’t understand how I would get up in the morning, go to work, pick up my son, cook dinner, put him to bed, then wake up the next day and do it all over again with only 8 hours of sleep.

Then my husband & I fasted (juice fast) for 21 days. The first thing I had to eat after the fast was a piece of ravioli, only one – within 10 minutes, I had a reaction. Voila! We knew.

I guess we should have figured it out when I had more energy NOT eating then when I did…

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Joe Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:14 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Article in newspaper about my family/celiac

Great article. That pretty much describes how I felt, and I'm sure many of the rest of us here went through similar experiences. To this day it amazes me how much and for how long I didn't realize I was sick until after changing my diet. -Joe-- Joe http://sanbeiji.com/

On 5/2/07, Amy Bhatnagar < amy.bhatnagarcomcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi All,

This article is in the local paper where my parents live.....it's a smaller town just outside of Madison, Wisconsin. The article is the 2nd one in the lifestyle section and the link is http://www.sunprairiestar.com/this_week/thisweek.html

Enjoy!

Amy in Sunnyvale, CA

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Thanks! Back to the drawing board for me! :) Amy Bhatnagar <amy.bhatnagar@...> wrote: Sorry about the confusion! She misquoted us in a few places, so my mom is planning on getting corrections printed. Modified corn starch is fine (she had said "modified food starch") and so are most burgers (without the bun of course!). We were

happy that they devoted such a large space to celiac disease, but it would have been nice if my mom could have proofed it first. The last thing we need is more mis-information! But overall, we were happy with the article and how in depth she went! Amy ----- Original Message ----- From: Hagen Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 10:46 PM Subject: RE: [ ] Article in

newspaper about my family/celiac...modified corn starch That was a great article!!! Now, I have to ask, because I thought it was safe. Modified corn starch is not gluten free? If so, this would explain why my son was having problems when I kept reintroducing dairy until this last time when I told him no yogurt. Thanks! Christian <scchris77 > wrote: Definitely a great article. I was diagnosed about a year ago and still feel symptoms of brain fog and exhaustion. I was beginning to wonder if this is just how it's going to be. I was slipping a little bit, but have recently realized there is no slipping. Gluten has to be 100% gone no questions

asked. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing these symptoms.Lillyth Denaghy Keogh-Quillan <lillythdenaghykeoghcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: I remember coming home after three hours of class (while studying for my Real Estate license), and just bawling my eyes out because I was sooooooooo tired. I needed to sleep for at least six hours, but had to pick my son up at 3:30, and if I went to sleep, I couldn’t wake up. I wanted my license so bad, but I just didn’t understand how I would get up in the morning, go to work, pick up my son, cook dinner, put him to bed, then wake up the next day and do it all over again with only 8 hours of sleep. Then my husband & I fasted (juice fast) for 21 days. The first thing I had to eat after the fast was a piece of ravioli, only one – within 10 minutes, I had a reaction. Voila! We knew. I guess we should have figured it out when I had more energy NOT eating then when I did… From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Joe

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 5:14 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Article in newspaper about my family/celiac Great article. That pretty much describes how I felt, and I'm sure many of the rest of us here went through similar experiences. To this day it amazes me how much and for how long I didn't realize I was sick until after changing my diet. -Joe-- Joe http://sanbeiji.com/ On 5/2/07, Amy Bhatnagar < amy.bhatnagarcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: Hi All, This article is in the local paper where my parents live.....it's a smaller town just outside of Madison, Wisconsin. The article is the 2nd one in the lifestyle section and the link is http://www.sunprairiestar.com/this_week/thisweek.html

Enjoy! Amy in Sunnyvale, CA Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Modified corn starch AND modified food starch are fine. Modified food starch cannot be made with wheat in the US any longer - So within the US if you see " modified food starch " as an ingredient, it is not made with wheat. However, they are allowed to use modified wheat starch but it has to be labelled as such - A gluten-containing food starch would be written out like this:

Modified wheat starchorModified food starch (wheat)The words " modified food starch " unaccompanied by the word wheat mean a gluten-free product, usually derived from corn I believe. Of course there can always be issues with cross-contamination... But if someone is reacting to corn starch or food starch, it is probably a corn intolerance, not a gluten intolerance.

Isaiah-- Gluten-Free By The Bayhttp://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com