RemedySpot.com

Re: Newsweek article in Sept 17 issue

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Susi, I absolutely appreciate that you passed this along. I have sent it to some of my friends so that they can get a better understanding. Thanks, Taniatennissusi2004 <tennissusi2005@...> wrote: Hi all,In case you haven't read the article in the latest Newsweek edition (September 17, 2007) yet:"Waiter, Please Hold the Wheat"http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20643573/site/newsweek/Susi

My favorite was a couple of days ago, when I was hospitalized for tests for another autoimmune disorder. I specified GF meals. Instead, a liquid meal arrived. The nurses ordered a regular GF meal for me. It arrived, after two hours. Clearly, care had been taken with it, and everything was marked GF. On top was perched a whole-wheat roll! Fortunately, each item on the tray was separately wrapped, so, barring cross-contamination, I could eat the meal safely. Steamed carrots -- probably just fine!

Every time I travel, no matter how careful I am, I wind up spending a night of intense vomiting. Ten or twelve hours of this leaves me awfully tired. I've always been an adventurous traveller and assumed I would be so throughout my life. Now, the smallest trip is a source of dread, not delight. I eat food I've brought with me whenever I can, but that isn't always possible. A couple of weeks ago I was at a Shakespeare Festival, with tickets (not cheap) ordered months in advance. Instead of going "out" for lunch, I got a fruit smoothie at an ice cream parlor. I didn't watch them make the smoothie; I suspect now that it was made with some sort of a pre-mixed base. I missed four events -- which was the least of it, of course. This is happening more and more often for me, even though I learn more, am more careful all the time. And it seems to take me longer to recover each time. I'm not looking for an answer, a solution -- this is just the way it is. I continue to learn traps to avoid, so it may get better. People with other illnesses have far worse constraints on their lives.

H.

H.

In a message dated 9/13/07 8:52:18 AM, AWallace@... writes:

My favorite still is, when im out to dinner with an acquaintance or for a business lunch/dinner and need to get a new salad without the croutons (even though I asked for none in the beginning) and someone says, “why cant you just pick them off?†and gives the eye roll…grrrrr   J

************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com

Yes, thanks for this, I did the same and

fwd it along to friends…for some reason the facts and “way of life”

of a celiac that come from an article seem to be more believable than from me…anyone

else run into that problem? My favorite still is, when im out to dinner with

an acquaintance or for a business lunch/dinner and need to get a new salad

without the croutons (even though I asked for none in the beginning) and

someone says, “why cant you just pick them off?” and gives the eye

roll…grrrrr J

Sent: Wednesday, September 12,

2007 8:48 PM

Subject: Re: [ ]

Newsweek article in Sept 17 issue

Susi,

I absolutely appreciate that you passed this along. I have sent

it to some of my friends so that they can get a better understanding.

Thanks,

Tania

tennissusi2004

<tennissusi2005gmail> wrote:

Hi all,

In case you haven't read the article in the latest Newsweek edition (September

17, 2007)

yet:

" Waiter, Please Hold the Wheat "

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20643573/site/newsweek/

Susi