RemedySpot.com

Re: newly diagnosed, questions questions, questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yes, you do need to avoid contact with all gluten. You can prepare non-GF food for your family, other than that involving loose flour, but you must avoid situations where gluten is left on food prep surfaces or gets into non-GF food.

For example, cutting boards and counter tops must be cleaned after someone uses them to make a non-GF sandwich.

Casual use of shared jam and butter can be a major gluten problem -- imagine the route from a child's non-GF toast to jam jar. Not good for you. With young children in the house, I'd consider keeping my own condiments. Butter tastes best when stored in a sealed box, anyway.

In short, crumbs matter. A lot. Keep a dust vac nearby, paper towels handy.

In our house, we have a separate area for gluten food. Non-GF pasta and bread is kept in plastic boxes.

Red tape is used to mark food (and OTC drugs) that I can't get into. For example, someone might buy a can of, say, tomato soup isn't GF but looks much like my can of GF tomato soup. On goes the red tape, against the day I look for a can of soup, forgetting to check the label, or for the day someone kindly decides to fix it for me.

We keep a separate red colander for non-GF pasta. Colanders are notoriously hard to clean of pasta starch.

When crumbly GF and non-GF items are stored in the same cabinet or refrigerator, put the non-GF things on the bottom shelf, so crumbs won't drop onto GFs.

Remember to keep your flatware drawer clear of crumbs. They do accumulate mysteriously and quickly.

Cast iron skillets, toasters, and breadmakers can't be used for both GF and non-GF items. I've heard this is true of Teflon, too. Keep your microwave clean. Wipe down handles on refrigerator, microwave, stove, cabinets.

After writing all this, I googled celiac kitchen and found many sites, much information.

Before long, all this will seem second nature. It does get easier.

In a message dated 3/25/08 4:11:40 PM, TrVerb@... writes:

Hello. I was recently diagnosed (as in, got the word yesterday) and have already acquired quite a bit of information toodling around the web. What I'm not seeing, however, is practical information for someone with celiac who shares a home with others. I live with my husband and two children (ages 4 & 7). One of my big questions is whether or not it's ok for me to prepare food containing gluten for my kids - pastas, toast, cereals, etc. I imagine having wheat flour flying around the kitchen is a big no; but do I need to avoid all contact with gluten? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, are there real live support groups in San Francisco that anyone could recommend? Any other advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated, as well!

Thanks so much,

T

**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home. (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

Guest guest

I strongly agree with all the points in Connie's message. She tends to hit the important things that I forget to mention.

Although I'm the only diagnosed CD in our households, we keep very, very little gluten on hand. If someone has a serious craving for a gluten item, he or she is responsible for keeping it isolated. Bit by bit, the non-CDs have moved away from eating gluten; new habits, new favorites, came into play.

H.

In a message dated 3/25/08 5:09:33 PM, connie@... writes:

Remember that celiac is a genetic disease even if it does sometimes remain hidden for many years.  So your kids are likely to have it as well unless you have adopted. 

It is soooo very much easier to keep a GF household – let the gluten eaters eat the gluten stuff outside the house.

**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home. (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

Guest guest

Remember that celiac is a genetic disease

even if it does sometimes remain hidden for many years. So your kids are

likely to have it as well unless you have adopted.

It is soooo very much easier to keep a GF

household – let the gluten eaters eat the gluten stuff outside the

house. If your little ones are not (yet) reacting or not yet diagnosed,

then you will not have to be as vigilant about their food (the snacks at

school, the cake at the party, the cookies at potlucks, etc.) but you WILL be

making memories of comfort foods that, should it happen that they too need to

be GF in the future, will not have to be left behind or corrected.

No human can digest gliadin/gluten.

Some just are able to let it pass through with no noticeable or long lasting

consequences. But many people, not celiac, feel much better without it.

Connie

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of flatcat9@...

Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:33

PM

Subject: Re: [ ] newly

diagnosed, questions questions, questions

Yes, you do need to

avoid contact with all gluten. You can prepare non-GF food for your family,

other than that involving loose flour, but you must avoid situations where

gluten is left on food prep surfaces or gets into non-GF food.

For example, cutting boards and counter tops must be cleaned after someone uses

them to make a non-GF sandwich.

Casual use of shared jam and butter can be a major gluten problem -- imagine

the route from a child's non-GF toast to jam jar. Not good for you. With

young children in the house, I'd consider keeping my own condiments. Butter

tastes best when stored in a sealed box, anyway.

In short, crumbs matter. A lot. Keep a dust vac nearby, paper towels handy.

In our house, we have a separate area for gluten food. Non-GF pasta and bread

is kept in plastic boxes.

Red tape is used to mark food (and OTC drugs) that I can't get into. For

example, someone might buy a can of, say, tomato soup isn't GF but looks much

like my can of GF tomato soup. On goes the red tape, against the day I look for

a can of soup, forgetting to check the label, or for the day someone kindly

decides to fix it for me.

We keep a separate red colander for non-GF pasta. Colanders are notoriously

hard to clean of pasta starch.

When crumbly GF and non-GF items are stored in the same cabinet or

refrigerator, put the non-GF things on the bottom shelf, so crumbs won't drop

onto GFs.

Remember to keep your flatware drawer clear of crumbs. They do accumulate

mysteriously and quickly.

Cast iron skillets, toasters, and breadmakers can't be used for both GF and

non-GF items. I've heard this is true of Teflon, too. Keep your microwave

clean. Wipe down handles on refrigerator, microwave, stove, cabinets.

After writing all this, I googled celiac kitchen and found many sites, much

information.

Before long, all this will seem second nature. It does get easier.

In a message dated 3/25/08 4:11:40 PM, TrVerb@... writes:

Hello. I was recently diagnosed (as in, got the word yesterday) and have

already acquired quite a bit of information toodling around the web. What I'm

not seeing, however, is practical information for someone with celiac who

shares a home with others. I live with my husband and two children (ages 4

& 7). One of my big questions is whether or not it's ok for me to prepare

food containing gluten for my kids - pastas, toast, cereals, etc. I imagine

having wheat flour flying around the kitchen is a big no; but do I need to

avoid all contact with gluten? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, are there real live support groups in San Francisco that anyone could recommend?

Any other advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated, as well!

Thanks so much,

T

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)

Guest guest

I agree. I learned very slowly. Tried to have gluten in house - stopped that but still let pple bring potlucks with gluten.I became more and more sensitive. Initially just cutting out most wheat helped me. Then symptoms returned and I have had to become more and more careful.My son didn't really show symptoms until we went gluten free. Now he is also very sensitive.----- Original Message -----From: < > < >Sent: Tue Mar 25 17:09:20 2008Subject: RE: [ ] newly diagnosed, questions questions, questionsRemember that celiac is a genetic disease even if it does sometimes remain hidden for many years. So your kids are likely to have it as well unless you have adopted. It is soooo very much easier to keep a GF household – let the gluten eaters eat the gluten stuff outside the house. If your little ones are not (yet) reacting or not yet diagnosed, then you will not have to be as vigilant about their food (the snacks at school, the cake at the party, the cookies at potlucks, etc.) but you WILL be making memories of comfort foods that, should it happen that they too need to be GF in the future, will not have to be left behind or corrected. No human can digest gliadin/gluten. Some just are able to let it pass through with no noticeable or long lasting consequences. But many people, not celiac, feel much better without it.Connie________________________________From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of flatcat9@...Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:33 PM Subject: Re: [ ] newly diagnosed, questions questions, questionsYes, you do need to avoid contact with all gluten. You can prepare non-GF food for your family, other than that involving loose flour, but you must avoid situations where gluten is left on food prep surfaces or gets into non-GF food.For example, cutting boards and counter tops must be cleaned after someone uses them to make a non-GF sandwich.Casual use of shared jam and butter can be a major gluten problem -- imagine the route from a child's non-GF toast to jam jar. Not good for you. With young children in the house, I'd consider keeping my own condiments. Butter tastes best when stored in a sealed box, anyway.In short, crumbs matter. A lot. Keep a dust vac nearby, paper towels handy.In our house, we have a separate area for gluten food. Non-GF pasta and bread is kept in plastic boxes.Red tape is used to mark food (and OTC drugs) that I can't get into. For example, someone might buy a can of, say, tomato soup isn't GF but looks much like my can of GF tomato soup. On goes the red tape, against the day I look for a can of soup, forgetting to check the label, or for the day someone kindly decides to fix it for me.We keep a separate red colander for non-GF pasta. Colanders are notoriously hard to clean of pasta starch.When crumbly GF and non-GF items are stored in the same cabinet or refrigerator, put the non-GF things on the bottom shelf, so crumbs won't drop onto GFs.Remember to keep your flatware drawer clear of crumbs. They do accumulate mysteriously and quickly.Cast iron skillets, toasters, and breadmakers can't be used for both GF and non-GF items. I've heard this is true of Teflon, too. Keep your microwave clean. Wipe down handles on refrigerator, microwave, stove, cabinets.After writing all this, I googled celiac kitchen and found many sites, much information.Before long, all this will seem second nature. It does get easier.In a message dated 3/25/08 4:11:40 PM, TrVerb@... writes:Hello. I was recently diagnosed (as in, got the word yesterday) and have already acquired quite a bit of information toodling around the web. What I'm not seeing, however, is practical information for someone with celiac who shares a home with others. I live with my husband and two children (ages 4 & 7). One of my big questions is whether or not it's ok for me to prepare food containing gluten for my kids - pastas, toast, cereals, etc. I imagine having wheat flour flying around the kitchen is a big no; but do I need to avoid all contact with gluten? Any advice would be much appreciated.Also, are there real live support groups in San Francisco that anyone could recommend? Any other advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated, as well!Thanks so much,T**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)