RemedySpot.com

Re: Sharing Resources

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sounds great to me! How wonderful you are doing this. Travel is a big bugaboo with celiac esp. given the problems associated with eating out in unfriendly or at least unknown territory. As is I am afraid to eat out thus far given extreme CC sensitivity. But maybe that too will pass?By the way I used to live in Eugene off and on for roughly 25 years and my older brother lives there too. I'll let him know to contact you--my whole family seems to have gluten problems one way or another -- although some are too disgruntled to really deal with it is at least trying. It might help him to get some advice and support. He has sore tendons that won't go away. Any local email address there that he can reach you at?I also plan to visit Eugene this summer. Maybe I can attend a group meeting?Beagypsyroadwriter <gluten.free42@...> wrote: I've been a member of this group for about a year, and am delighted to see all the new info being posted about restaurants, products, etc. It is getting easier to live with celiac and be GF. When I was diagnosed in Jan. 2002, my husband and I were less than halfway through what turned out to be ten years on the road as full-timers, living in our motor home, exploring the US and Canada. We're from the Bay Area, still have family, friends, and strong ties here. A few months ago, we rented a house in Eugene, OR. One of the founding

members of GIG (the Gluten Intolerance Group) when it started almost 30 years earlier was at the RV park I was staying in Palm Desert six years ago. Sue took me under her wing and was my GF Guru for two winters in the Desert. She taught me how and where to shop, how and where to eat out, and a million things it would have taken much longer to learn. What I learned, I passed along, as an informal resource in the Desert for the next several winters, as well as in the Bay Area, and in response to anyone who knew someone who needed information. We made several cross-country trips, and sleuthed places we stopped. Through the internet, I found formal groups, like chapters of GIG and the Celiac Sprue Association, like this and the DCCeliacs, online support groups, newsletters, blogs, product pages and more. I discovered places to shop,

restaurants to try, new foods to look for, people very willing to answer questions about their area. When we went to Washington DC last spring, through the DCCeliacs group I found out about GF hot pretzels in Virginia (Noah's Pretzels, now in land), all kinds of choices at the cafeteria in the American Indian Museum, had fresh bread on a scrumptuous sandwich at Lilit Cafe in Bethesda, leads for Baltimore, and much more. Last June we went to a Country Music Association Fest -- 10 a.m. to midnight, four solid days, plus another half day to kick it off. How to manage to stay GF in the midst of madness? A wonderful lady with the Nashville Celiac Support Group contacted CMA for me, and all worked out fine. We spent a couple of months in the Bay Area this summer, and used resources from this group, adding to those I'd collected previously, as I met with friends in

Petaluma, Vallejo, San , the Peninsula, Walnut Creek, San , etc. I've had ongoing correspondence with terrific people at companies and restaurants all over the country. Outback Restaurant now has over 236 locations that serve Redbridge GF beer. I just got the updated list. Last spring, I started a Gluten-Free Travel blog; since we stopped rolling down the road, I've been adding my finds. I've posted about GF Pizza in Phoenix and Greenwich Village, ribs in Austin and San , and more. My sidebar has eclectic links to great blogs, products, restaurants, tips, organizations, online newsletters, etc. I do believe that what goes around, comes around, and spend a lot of my time and energy freely sharing my expertise. I'm active with Eugene GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group), and will be a Resource Person for

their Restaurant Awareness Program, which provides guidance to restaurants to develop GF meals and menus. I'm very excited about this venture. I just started a "GF Foodies" group on www.MenuNetwork.com, which has an eclectic range of reviews from all over. They added a category of "Gluten Free" under "Cuisine Type". I'll be posting reviews from Washington DC to Austin TX to Palm Springs, the Bay Area and more, as I get them up first on my blog. I wanted to let you know about these things, in hopes that we can all continue to share and collectively be a stronger voice for awareness and progress. Recently I told a store manager, "You know there's a market for GF items when a national company like Anheuser Busch launches a product like Redbridge Beer. Make more shelf space, get the good

things in, and people will come." I hope I'm not out of line with this message and the link to my blog. I'm organizing material about the Bay Area I will post there soon. Please contact me either offlist or through this group if you have resources I can share. Thanks! Michele Gluten-Free Travel by Graf

Guest guest

Bea -

Thanks for the encouragement. The email I use with my blog is gluten.free@... ("NET" not "COM"!)

It does get easier, as you learn to trust your own radar. I've settled for broiled salmon and a plain baked potato at times, and on other occasions, I've walked out of restaurants when I realized they just didn't understand me. Feel free to email me off list, and have your brother do the same.

When are you coming? I'm going to present a program for GIG about GF Travel the second Thurs. in July. Don't know the date offhand. You are more than welcome to come to any of the meetings. Please stay in touch with me.

As I said, I was very, very fortunate to have someone help me through the maze, and I've tried to do the same for others. I will post some Bay Area-specific info with this group in the next week or so. After ten years on the road, I'm still getting my life, and my materials, organized now that I've got a place to work.

Michele

(who's got to get off the computer and back to theGF San-J Teriyaki sauced chicken baking in the other room.) > We made several cross-country trips, and sleuthed places we stopped. Through the internet, I found formal groups, like chapters of GIG and the Celiac Sprue Association, like this and the DCCeliacs, online support groups, newsletters, blogs, product pages and more.> Last spring, I started a Gluten-Free Travel blog; since we stopped rolling down the road, I've been adding my finds. . . .My sidebar has eclectic links to great blogs, products, restaurants, tips, organizations, online newsletters, etc.

> I do believe that what goes around, comes around, and spend a lot of my time and energy freely sharing my expertise. > I'm active with Eugene GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group), and will be a Resource Person for their Restaurant Awareness Program, which provides guidance to restaurants to develop GF meals and menus. I'm very excited about this venture.

> I just started a "GF Foodies" group on www.MenuNetwork.com, which has an eclectic range of reviews from all over. They added a category of "Gluten Free" under "Cuisine Type". . . .

> I wanted to let you know about these things, in hopes that we can all continue to share and collectively be a stronger voice for awareness and progress. > Recently I told a store manager, "You know there's a market for GF items when a national company like Anheuser Busch launches a product like Redbridge Beer. Make more shelf space, get the good things in, and people will come." > I hope I'm not out of line with this message and the link to my blog. I'm organizing material about the Bay Area I will post there soon. Please contact me either offlist or through this group if you have resources I can share. > Thanks!> Michele> Gluten-Free Travel by Graf>

Guest guest

Thank you! It will probably always be a work in progress. . . . Michele

>

> Thanks for the wonderful site, http://glutenfree-travel.blogspot.com/,

> Gluten-free Travel By Graf.

>

> Check it out, folks!

> H.

>

>

> **************

> Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL