RemedySpot.com

GF restaurants in the Berkeley area

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm wondering what usual haunts in Berkeley people trust to eat at? Ironically I was never a big fan of Cafe Gratitiude even before I went GF... but my wife who is not GF loves it... hah, there's irony for ya. I was in there for a few minutes recently when my wife got take out and I asked them about GF -- they told me that can't actually guarantee that their kitchen in GF and one of the locations in SF is now doing sprouted wheat tortillas, but she thought most items on the menu would be fine.

In any case, I have been eating at Picante's (6th / Gilman) and Cactus (top of Solano) without any trouble as long as I avoid the jalapenos (I guess they used canned ones that are in white vinegar) and of course avoid the flour tortillas. I haven't tried tostadas at either (I am suspicious they might be deep fried in CC oil), but the corn tortillas and chips seem to be fine. I actually spoke woth someone at Cactus and they do not seem to use any gluten-containing ingredients except for the obvious.

I have also eaten at Ajanta -- the owner will tell you about all the ingredients and they have a separate tandoori oven for bread only. Most of the dishes are fine except some of the kofta (balls) and of course nothing deep fried (they don't have separate oil).

There is an Indian take out place on Solano also, I guess that is in Albany, across from Safeway where High Tech burrito used to be, and I have eaten there several times without any trouble.

For a special occasion we ate at Chez Panisse once and they were very accomodating.

So, I was wondering where else in Berkeley has safe options? I am getting sick of eating Mexican. I am especially interested in some french fries and maybe Thai food. I was in Portland over the holidays and we went to a GF fish & chips place -- that's the only time I've had good french fries in the last year! Oh, does anyone know if the dosas at Vik's Chaat or at Udupi Palace are ok? Also I have read that a pizza place in Rockridge will do rice crust pizzas, but its hard to imagine the kitchen and oven aren't full in wheat flour, so has anyone actually tried this?

-Luther