RemedySpot.com

Re: Gluten free on Kauai ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Nalani, Thanks for the link on Kona GF restaurants! I am going to Kauai in November and am gluten intolerant, was wondering if you know of any GF restaurants in Kauai? I will be staying in the Poipu area, thanks!!! lauraNalani Grace <nalanigrace@...> wrote: Hi Jackie, I'm the celiac contact for Hawaii. Below I've pasted an email from one of our members, who lives in Kona. I hope the information helps. Have a great trip, and don't

hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Take care, Nalani---------- Forwarded message ----------From: kathryn ogata <celdogs4us >Date: Nov 7, 2007 3:46 PMSubject: Re: [celiachawaii] helloceliachawaii Hi ...I'm Kathy from Kona. I have a list of restaurants where I eat. Here it is.I just read a recommendation from who returned to the eastcoast after her stay here. She ate successfully at Bubba Gump(Kailua-Kona) , Donatoni's, and Kamuela Provision Company. The lasttwo are part of the Waikoloa Hilton. She said Donatoni's has glutenfree pasta (call ahead to make sure they're not out of it), and theK. Provision Co. is a

steakhouse.KathyRestaurantsKailua-KonaBa'le (Vietnamese) in the Kona Coast ShoppingCenter---lemon grasschicken salad--non-spicy, summer roll (not the veggie--I didn't eatthe sauce, even tho they said it fit the criteria I had giventhem--might be ok)Pancho and Lefty's--shredded beef tacos, carne asada, house margaritaBig Island Grill--specials usually include fish--order it broiled(they use flour in sautéed dishes, although will leave off the flourif you ask--I think broiled is safer)--roast beef and roast pork(specify "no gravy")---garlic mashed potatoes (specify "no gravy").They have a couple of gf desserts. I've had their crème brulee (notalways on the menu--it's sometimes listed with their specials) andknow other celiacs who have enjoyed their flourless chocolate cake.Outback Steakhouse--ask for their gf menu (also available to you attheir website)Ocean Seafood and Royal Jade

Garden both have dishes I have eaten--Ipick a chicken/vegetable dish and say "I need white sauce--no flourand no shoyu (soy sauce), or oyster sauce, but cornstarch, salt andsugar are okay". I tried that with beef broccoli once--they made it myway, but it wasn't very tasty--so I stick to chicken. I just found anew favorite: shrimp with cashews.'s-Kailua-KonaL and L Drivein aka Hawaiian Barbecue is in the Lanihau Center andKeauhou Shopping Center. I order Kalua Pork with rice and tossedsalad as an option (instead of macaroni salad). I tried their garlicahi……..I believe it was gluten free, but I didn't like it. …salty andcovered with garlic.Also in Keauhou Center, there is Habanero's. I've eated nachos, softtacos (including beef, pork and chicken) there.HonaloTeshima's restaurant---They are accustomed to serving me "UpcountryChopped Steak" or "Chopped Chicken"---tell them "no oystersauce"--using my

shoyu (San J Tamari which I provide). I eat theirrice, cucumber salad (namasu)….but do not drink their tea--it appearsto have barley in it. You would have to take in your own San J tamarior whatever you prefer, for them to use in the preparation.Kainaliu/KealakekuaKeei Café at Hokukano--Open for lunch and dinner--closed Monday. Ihave eaten the pork chop entrée, with pineapple salsa and also thesteak cooked in red wine sauce. Delicious and gluten free.I've also eaten the flan they serve for dessert.StoresKailua-KonaKona Natural Foods---Crossroads Shopping Center….Kailua-Kona..Pamela'scookies, Food For Life Bread (not much selection--they are often outof the gf breads), Bob's Mill Mighty Good GF Hot Cereal, dry cereals,Amy's frozen entrees, San J Tamari, gf pasta, Glutino cookies, bagels,breadSafeway---San J Tamari, Amy's frozen entreesKTA (supermarket)-Keauhou Shopping Center---Pamela's

Cookies, Amy'sfrozen entreesAnother KTA location is in Kailua-Kona--next to Bal'e…..haven'tchecked out their gf stock-probably the same as the Keauhou locationKona Natural Foods II/Keauhou--also located in the Keauhou ShoppingCenter. Same gf stock at listed at the Kailua-Kona-location. Food forLife breads, Thai Kitchen noodle bowls. Also have a few GlutinocookiesKainaliu/KealakekuaEvie's Organic Foods, Bakery, Café---in the Mango Plaza….Kainaliu(driving south from Kailua-Kona--maybe 8 miles south of CrossroadsCenter/Borders) a few Food for Life Breads, Pamela's cookies. Theymake/sell wheat-free cookies, desserts--which are made with spelt(which some consider gf)…my choice is not to eat spelt, so I can'tgive any feedback on those.Captain CookChoice Mart --about 3 miles south of Evie's , in Captain Cook. ThaiKitchen noodle bowls, Gluten Free Pantry mixes, Glutino cookies

(lemonsandwich, chocolate sandwich varieties), Pamela's, Bob's Red Millproducts, Glutino Fiber Bread (in the freezer section) On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Jackie <jackiecorleysbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: We are going to Hawaii (the Big Island) the week of April 4 with my 10-year old with celiac. We will have a kitchen, but would love suggestions on restaurants that speak gluten free and stores where we can buy gluten free foods. We will be spending two nights in Volcano and five just south of Kona. Thank you.

Guest guest

Hi ,We just came back from Kuaui, and althoughwe were in Hanalei, I found the restaurantsvery accommodating and many gf choicesat the market. There is a natural foods store in Hanalei that had a ton of gf things I can't find hereat home! Also the food there is so fresh that you'llfind plenty of healthy choices. Have fun! Kuaui is one of the most beautiful places in the world!On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:11 AM, <lmurphyfoster@...> wrote:

Hi Nalani, Thanks for the link on Kona GF restaurants! I am going to Kauai in November and am gluten intolerant, was wondering if you know of any GF restaurants in Kauai? I will be staying in the Poipu area, thanks!!! lauraNalani Grace <nalanigracegmail> wrote: Hi Jackie, I'm the celiac contact for Hawaii. Below I've pasted an email from one of our members, who lives in Kona. I hope the information helps. Have a great trip, and don't

hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Take care, Nalani---------- Forwarded message ----------From: kathryn ogata <celdogs4us >Date: Nov 7, 2007 3:46 PMSubject: Re: [celiachawaii] helloceliachawaii Hi ...I'm Kathy from Kona. I have a list of restaurants where I eat. Here it is.I just read a recommendation from who returned to the eastcoast after her stay here. She ate successfully at Bubba Gump(Kailua-Kona) , Donatoni's, and Kamuela Provision Company. The lasttwo are part of the Waikoloa Hilton. She said Donatoni's has glutenfree pasta (call ahead to make sure they're not out of it), and theK. Provision Co. is a

steakhouse.KathyRestaurantsKailua-KonaBa'le (Vietnamese) in the Kona Coast ShoppingCenter---lemon grasschicken salad--non-spicy, summer roll (not the veggie--I didn't eatthe sauce, even tho they said it fit the criteria I had giventhem--might be ok)Pancho and Lefty's--shredded beef tacos, carne asada, house margaritaBig Island Grill--specials usually include fish--order it broiled(they use flour in sautéed dishes, although will leave off the flourif you ask--I think broiled is safer)--roast beef and roast pork(specify "no gravy")---garlic mashed potatoes (specify "no gravy").They have a couple of gf desserts. I've had their crème brulee (notalways on the menu--it's sometimes listed with their specials) andknow other celiacs who have enjoyed their flourless chocolate cake.Outback Steakhouse--ask for their gf menu (also available to you attheir website)Ocean Seafood and Royal Jade

Garden both have dishes I have eaten--Ipick a chicken/vegetable dish and say "I need white sauce--no flourand no shoyu (soy sauce), or oyster sauce, but cornstarch, salt andsugar are okay". I tried that with beef broccoli once--they made it myway, but it wasn't very tasty--so I stick to chicken. I just found anew favorite: shrimp with cashews.'s-Kailua-KonaL and L Drivein aka Hawaiian Barbecue is in the Lanihau Center andKeauhou Shopping Center. I order Kalua Pork with rice and tossedsalad as an option (instead of macaroni salad). I tried their garlicahi……..I believe it was gluten free, but I didn't like it. …salty andcovered with garlic.Also in Keauhou Center, there is Habanero's. I've eated nachos, softtacos (including beef, pork and chicken) there.HonaloTeshima's restaurant---They are accustomed to serving me "UpcountryChopped Steak" or "Chopped Chicken"---tell them "no oystersauce"--using my

shoyu (San J Tamari which I provide). I eat theirrice, cucumber salad (namasu)….but do not drink their tea--it appearsto have barley in it. You would have to take in your own San J tamarior whatever you prefer, for them to use in the preparation.Kainaliu/KealakekuaKeei Café at Hokukano--Open for lunch and dinner--closed Monday. Ihave eaten the pork chop entrée, with pineapple salsa and also thesteak cooked in red wine sauce. Delicious and gluten free.I've also eaten the flan they serve for dessert.StoresKailua-KonaKona Natural Foods---Crossroads Shopping Center….Kailua-Kona..Pamela'scookies, Food For Life Bread (not much selection--they are often outof the gf breads), Bob's Mill Mighty Good GF Hot Cereal, dry cereals,Amy's frozen entrees, San J Tamari, gf pasta, Glutino cookies, bagels,breadSafeway---San J Tamari, Amy's frozen entreesKTA (supermarket)-Keauhou Shopping Center---Pamela's

Cookies, Amy'sfrozen entreesAnother KTA location is in Kailua-Kona--next to Bal'e…..haven'tchecked out their gf stock-probably the same as the Keauhou locationKona Natural Foods II/Keauhou--also located in the Keauhou ShoppingCenter. Same gf stock at listed at the Kailua-Kona-location. Food forLife breads, Thai Kitchen noodle bowls. Also have a few GlutinocookiesKainaliu/KealakekuaEvie's Organic Foods, Bakery, Café---in the Mango Plaza….Kainaliu(driving south from Kailua-Kona--maybe 8 miles south of CrossroadsCenter/Borders) a few Food for Life Breads, Pamela's cookies. Theymake/sell wheat-free cookies, desserts--which are made with spelt(which some consider gf)…my choice is not to eat spelt, so I can'tgive any feedback on those.Captain CookChoice Mart --about 3 miles south of Evie's , in Captain Cook. ThaiKitchen noodle bowls, Gluten Free Pantry mixes, Glutino cookies

(lemonsandwich, chocolate sandwich varieties), Pamela's, Bob's Red Millproducts, Glutino Fiber Bread (in the freezer section) On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Jackie <jackiecorleysbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: We are going to Hawaii (the Big Island) the week of April 4 with my 10-year old with celiac. We will have a kitchen, but would love suggestions on restaurants that speak gluten free and stores where we can buy gluten free foods. We will be spending two nights in Volcano and five just south of Kona. Thank you.

Guest guest

F - I was just in Poipu over the holidays... 99% of restaurants

(and hotels for that matter) in Poipu were ridiculously swanky and

overpriced, so we ate in a lot, or on other parts of the island.

Heck, they don't even have a grocery in Poipu! Now that I know the

island better, I will stay in Hanalei during all future stays, where

they are a bit more down to earth and no 5-star resorts as far as the

eye can see! Anyhow, here are a few tips:

near Poipu: there is a TINY natural foods store just 5 miles up the

road in Koloa, " Koloa Natural Foods " ... selection is very hit-or-miss.

It's somewhat hidden next to the Old Town historical museum.

Be sure to hit Lappert's for their famous ice cream and coffee in

Koloa!! (though I didn't ask about the vanilla - I don't usually

worry about that)

As another member mentioned, the best/biggest natural foods store on

the island is in Hanalei, " Papaya's " in the Hanalei Center. They did

have some things that I've never found in SF, like GF animal crackers

from Mi Del.

We also had a delicious gourmet GF meal in Hanalei at " Postcards

Cafe " , and a less-fancy meal at Kalypso, where they handled my GF

requests deftly.

There is supposed to be another Papaya's in Waipouli, but we didn't

stop there.

In Kapa'a, there is a FABULOUS casual restaurant called Mermaids Cafe

- very fresh, organic, made to order plates. Don't miss it.

Also, don't miss 's Hawaiian Blizzard Shave Ice outside the Big

Save market in Kapa'a!!! He makes all the flavors himself, so can

tell you just what is in them!

Enjoy!!

-laura g

--- In , <lmurphyfoster@...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Nalani,

> Thanks for the link on Kona GF restaurants! I am going to Kauai

in November and am gluten intolerant, was wondering if you know of any

GF restaurants in Kauai? I will be staying in the Poipu area,

thanks!!! laura

Guest guest

Hi ,

Was there anything at Sueoka's grocery in Koloa? We've been to Kauai in Poipu several times, but that was before celiac, so we never looked at the options there with an eye to GF.

How about Roy's in Poipu -- I thought I heard they were able to serve GF -- anyone know?

Thanks!

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lauracgaddSent: Monday, March 31, 2008 1:12 PM Subject: [ ] Re: Gluten free on Kauai ?

F - I was just in Poipu over the holidays... 99% of restaurants(and hotels for that matter) in Poipu were ridiculously swanky andoverpriced, so we ate in a lot, or on other parts of the island. Heck, they don't even have a grocery in Poipu! Now that I know theisland better, I will stay in Hanalei during all future stays, wherethey are a bit more down to earth and no 5-star resorts as far as theeye can see! Anyhow, here are a few tips:near Poipu: there is a TINY natural foods store just 5 miles up theroad in Koloa, "Koloa Natural Foods"... selection is very hit-or-miss.It's somewhat hidden next to the Old Town historical museum.Be sure to hit Lappert's for their famous ice cream and coffee inKoloa!! (though I didn't ask about the vanilla - I don't usuallyworry about that)As another member mentioned, the best/biggest natural foods store onthe island is in Hanalei, "Papaya's" in the Hanalei Center. They didhave some things that I've never found in SF, like GF animal crackersfrom Mi Del.We also had a delicious gourmet GF meal in Hanalei at "PostcardsCafe", and a less-fancy meal at Kalypso, where they handled my GFrequests deftly.There is supposed to be another Papaya's in Waipouli, but we didn'tstop there.In Kapa'a, there is a FABULOUS casual restaurant called Mermaids Cafe- very fresh, organic, made to order plates. Don't miss it.Also, don't miss 's Hawaiian Blizzard Shave Ice outside the BigSave market in Kapa'a!!! He makes all the flavors himself, so cantell you just what is in them!Enjoy!!-laura g--- In , <lmurphyfoster@...>wrote:>> Hi Nalani,> Thanks for the link on Kona GF restaurants! I am going to Kauaiin November and am gluten intolerant, was wondering if you know of anyGF restaurants in Kauai? I will be staying in the Poipu area,thanks!!! laura

Guest guest

I haven't been yet but I'll certainly update the group when I get back (not til Nov :( Thanks for any/all advice! D Darcy <ddarcy@...> wrote: Hi , Was there anything at Sueoka's grocery in Koloa? We've been to Kauai in Poipu several times, but that was before celiac, so we never looked at the options there with

an eye to GF. How about Roy's in Poipu -- I thought I heard they were able to serve GF -- anyone know? Thanks! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of lauracgaddSent: Monday, March 31, 2008 1:12 PM Subject: [ ] Re: Gluten free on

Kauai ? F - I was just in Poipu over the holidays... 99% of restaurants(and hotels for that matter) in Poipu were ridiculously swanky andoverpriced, so we ate in a lot, or on other parts of the island. Heck, they don't even have a grocery in Poipu! Now that I know theisland better, I will stay in Hanalei during all future stays, wherethey are a bit more down to earth and no 5-star resorts as far as theeye can see! Anyhow, here are a few tips:near Poipu: there is a TINY natural foods store just 5 miles up theroad in Koloa, "Koloa Natural Foods"... selection is very hit-or-miss.It's somewhat hidden next to the Old Town historical museum.Be sure to hit Lappert's for their famous ice cream and coffee inKoloa!! (though I didn't ask about the vanilla - I don't usuallyworry about that)As another member mentioned, the best/biggest natural foods store onthe

island is in Hanalei, "Papaya's" in the Hanalei Center. They didhave some things that I've never found in SF, like GF animal crackersfrom Mi Del.We also had a delicious gourmet GF meal in Hanalei at "PostcardsCafe", and a less-fancy meal at Kalypso, where they handled my GFrequests deftly.There is supposed to be another Papaya's in Waipouli, but we didn'tstop there.In Kapa'a, there is a FABULOUS casual restaurant called Mermaids Cafe- very fresh, organic, made to order plates. Don't miss it.Also, don't miss 's Hawaiian Blizzard Shave Ice outside the BigSave market in Kapa'a!!! He makes all the flavors himself, so cantell you just what is in them!Enjoy!!-laura g--- In , <lmurphyfoster@...>wrote:>> Hi Nalani,> Thanks for the link on Kona GF restaurants! I am going to

Kauaiin November and am gluten intolerant, was wondering if you know of anyGF restaurants in Kauai? I will be staying in the Poipu area,thanks!!! laura