RemedySpot.com

Help Educate Congress About Celiac Disease

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The American Celiac Disease Alliance (ACDA) has been working for several years to educate Members of Congress about the celiac disease. The goal is to help them understand how common the disease is and the issues faced by those with the condition. After learning more about the disease they will be ready to take-on more pressing issues like reimbursement for dietitian services, improved training for physicians, gluten-free foods for celiac students, and blood screening for individuals anemia or type I diabetes.

Please write to your Representative, ask him or her cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible.

You can email your legislator directly by going to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.org/advocacy.htm

Many in leaders in the celiac community have already endorsed the bill, including the celiac research centers and the American Dietetic Association. Other supporters are listed below.

I hope that you will join us in helping to educate Congress about celiac disease!

Thank you,

American Celiac Disease Alliance

info@...

Supporters of H.Con.Res. 70 include:

Alba Therapeutics Corporation

Amazing Grains LLC

American Dietetic Association

American Osteopathic Association

Allergy Grocer

Gluten Intolerance Group

Glutino Foods

Great Northern Growers ative

Bob & Ruth's Gluten-Free Dining & Travel Club

Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University

Center for Celiac Research, University of land

Celiac Disease Foundation

Endangered Species Chocolate Company

Ener-G Foods, Inc.

Enjoy Life Brands™

Farm Pure Foods

Foods by

French Meadow Bakery

Gluten-Free Living

GlutenFree Passport®

Kimball Genetics

Lettuce in Love, Inc

Living Without

's Products

National Sorghum Producers

Nature's Chemistry LLC

North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology,

Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)

Pamela's Products

Prometheus Laboratories, Inc.

San-J International, Inc.

Savory Palate

Stonyfield Farm

University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

Westchester Celiac Sprue Support Group

Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease

Guest guest

This is great -- something we can do to help! I went to the site below and found that it's not as easy to use as some other advocacy sites in that it doesn't give you suggestions for what to write. So I quickly jotted down the note below and then I decided to pass it along as a base for others to work from in case you would like to help as well.

All you have to do is click on the site below (go to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.org/advocacy.htm), find your rep by your zip code, and get to the action site where you can send your rep(s) an email. Then cut and paste the text below (with whatever mods you want) into the form. Then just send it! Ask your friends and family to help too - it only takes a minute.

Dear (rep name), I am writing to ask you to cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible. This bill is very important to those who suffer from celiac disease, which is a disease which affects approximately 1 in 100 Americans. This common disease is currently under-diagnosed, and much greater awareness is necessary. The effects of even a crumb of gluten upon those with celiac are severe, causing an immune response that destroys the intestines, leading to severe malnutrition, growth retardation, and even cancer. Yet many people, even many doctors, are currently not aware of the meaning of either gluten or celiac. This must change. Please help to pass this legislation as soon as possible. Thank you.

Best,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of alevarioSent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:32 PM Subject: [ ] Help Educate Congress About Celiac Disease

The American Celiac Disease Alliance (ACDA) has been working for several years to educate Members of Congress about the celiac disease. The goal is to help them understand how common the disease is and the issues faced by those with the condition. After learning more about the disease they will be ready to take-on more pressing issues like reimbursement for dietitian services, improved training for physicians, gluten-free foods for celiac students, and blood screening for individuals anemia or type I diabetes.

Please write to your Representative, ask him or her cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible.

You can email your legislator directly by going to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.org/advocacy.htm

Many in leaders in the celiac community have already endorsed the bill, including the celiac research centers and the American Dietetic Association. Other supporters are listed below.

I hope that you will join us in helping to educate Congress about celiac disease!

Thank you,

infoamericanceliac (DOT) org

Supporters of H.Con.Res. 70 include:

Alba Therapeutics Corporation

Amazing Grains LLC

American Dietetic Association

American Osteopathic Association

Allergy Grocer

Gluten Intolerance Group

Glutino Foods

Great Northern Growers ative

Bob & Ruth's Gluten-Free Dining & Travel Club

Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University

Center for Celiac Research, University of land

Celiac Disease Foundation

Endangered Species Chocolate Company

Ener-G Foods, Inc.

Enjoy Life Brands™

Farm Pure Foods

Foods by

French Meadow Bakery

Gluten-Free Living

GlutenFree Passport®

Kimball Genetics

Lettuce in Love, Inc

Living Without

's Products

National Sorghum Producers

Nature's Chemistry LLC

North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology,

Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)

Pamela's Products

Prometheus Laboratories, Inc.

San-J International, Inc.

Savory Palate

Stonyfield Farm

University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

Westchester Celiac Sprue Support Group

Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease

Guest guest

Great addition Darcy--though I would add something like the following after the section stating many doctors etc. don't know about celiac:although it is well known in Europe since between 10 and 30 percent of Europeans carry the gene that makes it possible for them to get celiac. Here in the States its estimated celiac is as common as high cholesterol--with a varied estimated rate between 1 in 133 people or 1 in 230. Despite the fact it is in actual fact so common, it continues for now to be a hidden disease here in America that is greatly undermining the health of a good percentage of the population, however you cut it.Yes, let's all do this!! Thank you Internet for making it so easy!BeaD Darcy <ddarcy@...> wrote: This is great -- something we can do to help! I went to the site below and found that it's not as easy to use as some other advocacy sites in that it doesn't give you suggestions for what to write. So I quickly jotted down the note below and then I decided to pass it along as a base for others to work from in case you would like to help as well. All you

have to do is click on the site below (go to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.org/advocacy.htm), find your rep by your zip code, and get to the action site where you can send your rep(s) an email. Then cut and paste the text below (with whatever mods you want) into the form. Then just send it! Ask your friends and family to help too - it only takes a minute. Dear (rep

name), I am writing to ask you to cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible. This bill is very important to those who suffer from celiac disease, which is a disease which affects approximately 1 in 100 Americans. This common disease is currently under-diagnosed, and much greater awareness is necessary. The effects of even a crumb of gluten upon those with celiac are severe, causing an immune response that destroys the intestines, leading to severe malnutrition, growth retardation, and even cancer. Yet many people, even many doctors, are currently not aware of the meaning of either gluten or celiac. This must change. Please help to pass this legislation as soon as possible. Thank you. Best, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of alevarioSent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 6:32 PM Subject: [ ] Help Educate Congress About Celiac Disease The American Celiac Disease Alliance (ACDA) has been working for several years to educate Members of Congress about the celiac disease. The goal is to help them understand how common the disease is and the issues faced by those with the condition. After learning more about the disease they will be ready to take-on more pressing issues like reimbursement for dietitian services, improved training for physicians, gluten-free foods for celiac students, and blood screening for individuals anemia or type I diabetes. Please write to your Representative, ask him or her cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible. You can email your legislator directly by going to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.org/advocacy.htm Many in leaders in the celiac community have already endorsed the bill, including the celiac research centers and the American Dietetic Association. Other supporters are listed below. I hope that you will join us in helping to educate Congress about celiac disease!

Thank you, American Celiac Disease Alliance infoamericanceliac (DOT) org Supporters of H.Con.Res. 70 include: Alba Therapeutics Corporation Amazing Grains LLC American Celiac Disease Alliance American Dietetic Association American Osteopathic Association Allergy Grocer Gluten Intolerance Group Glutino Foods Great

Northern Growers ative Bob & Ruth's Gluten-Free Dining & Travel Club Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University Center for Celiac Research, University of land Celiac Disease Foundation Endangered Species Chocolate Company Ener-G Foods, Inc. Enjoy Life Brands™ Farm Pure Foods Foods by French Meadow Bakery Gluten-Free Living GlutenFree Passport® Kimball Genetics Lettuce in Love, Inc Living Without 's Products National Sorghum Producers Nature's Chemistry LLC North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHAN) Pamela's Products Prometheus Laboratories, Inc. San-J International, Inc. Savory Palate Stonyfield Farm University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center Westchester Celiac Sprue Support Group Wm. K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease

Guest guest

Great, thanks so much for this letter. Well written, short and to the point. I'll definitely use it myself!

Thanks!

In a message dated 4/2/08 10:52:04 PM, ddarcy@... writes:

This is great -- something we can do to help! I went to the site below and found that it's not as easy to use as some other advocacy sites in that it doesn't give you suggestions for what to write. So I quickly jotted down the note below and then I decided to pass it along as a base for others to work from in case you would like to help as well.

All you have to do is click on the site below (go to the `Action Alert' section on the ACDA website at www.americanceliac.www.americancwww), find your rep by your zip code, and get to the action site where you can send your rep(s) an email. Then cut and paste the text below (with whatever mods you want) into the form. Then just send it! Ask your friends and family to help too - it only takes a minute.

Dear (rep name),

I am writing to ask you to cosponsor HConRes 70, and to push for a floor vote as soon as possible.

This bill is very important to those who suffer from celiac disease, which is a disease which affects approximately 1 in 100 Americans. This common disease is currently under-diagnosed, and much greater awareness is necessary. The effects of even a crumb of gluten upon those with celiac are severe, causing an immune response that destroys the intestines, leading to severe malnutrition, growth retardation, and even cancer. Yet many people, even many doctors, are currently not aware of the meaning of either gluten or celiac. This must change.

Please help to pass this legislation as soon as possible.

Thank you.

**************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides. (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)