>

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is very knowledgeable

> about celiac disease who is located in Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or

> Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someone who is kind, compassionate, LISTENS,

> and hopefully is open to " complementary " healing (diet, etc.)since I see

> also see an MD who is holistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).

>

> I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERY skilled

> and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours to drive to his

> office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I saw Dr. Aron 6 years ago

> when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have not had to see him much since I

> have been very healthy up to now. I just started to have many symptoms- I

> may have developed an ulcer- and if I have to drive to many appointments,

> other closer locations would be more convenient.

>

> Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who are closer

> to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone have any

> suggestions/feedback?

>

> Thanks,

> Caryn Gottfried

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Unfortunately, no one replied with name of an East Bay doctor. I don't quite understand that; there must be plenty of us celiacs in Oakland, Berkeley, Lafayette, etc.

Caryn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:15 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

Please let me know what you find out - I live in Berkeley and wouldlike to find a good doctor as well that won't tell me to eat morefiber when I discuss my symptons ;-)On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Caryn Gottfried<caryn777earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:>>>>> Hi Everyone,>> Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is very knowledgeable> about celiac disease who is located in Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or> Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someone who is kind, compassionate, LISTENS,> and hopefully is open to "complementary" healing (diet, etc.)since I see> also see an MD who is holistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).>> I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERY skilled> and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours to drive to his> office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I saw Dr. Aron 6 years ago> when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have not had to see him much since I> have been very healthy up to now. I just started to have many symptoms- I> may have developed an ulcer- and if I have to drive to many appointments,> other closer locations would be more convenient.>> Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who are closer> to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone have any> suggestions/feedback?>> Thanks,> Caryn Gottfried>>>>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.3/1391 - Release Date: 4/22/2008 8:15 AM

Guest guest

Hi Caryn,

Dr. Faraz Berjis has offices in Berkeley and Walnut Creek. He caught

my celiac disease right away, even though I presented with

non-classical symptoms. He seemed knowledgeable and thorough, and is

very personable. I don't have a sense yet of how he is with managing

ongoing celiac disease, because I was just diagnosed a couple of

months ago. But I appreciated that he encouraged me to do my own

research and bring questions for him on subsequent visits. After the

endoscopy confirmed the dx, he referred me to a dietician which was

quite helpful. He also gave me an order for a baseline bone density

scan at my request.

I had a lot of questions for him about my young kids -- would they

need to be tested etc, and he did his best to answer them but also

acknowledged pediatric stuff wasn't his forte and referred me to a

pediatric GI.

I have a follow up visit in another month, and will probably get a

better sense then about ongoing care than I have now. But I encourage

you to call and set up a consult to see how you like him.

http://www.giassociatesonline.com/

Good luck!

kristin

--- In , " Caryn Gottfried " <caryn777@...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is very

knowledgeable about celiac disease who is located in Orinda,

Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someone

who is kind, compassionate, LISTENS, and hopefully is open to

" complementary " healing (diet, etc.)since I see also see an MD who is

holistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).

>

> I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERY

skilled and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours to

drive to his office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I saw

Dr. Aron 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have not

had to see him much since I have been very healthy up to now. I just

started to have many symptoms- I may have developed an ulcer- and if I

have to drive to many appointments, other closer locations would be

more convenient.

>

> Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who are

closer to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone have

any suggestions/feedback?

>

> Thanks,

> Caryn Gottfried

>

Guest guest

You mean bone density, I think. As far as I know, bone marrow isn't particularly affected by CD -- although I supposed every bit of us is affected to some degree!

H.

In a message dated 4/23/08 11:13:15 AM, tanya_lombardi@... writes:

He has also been very thorough in ensuring that any possible hidden side effects don't go unnoticed (bone marrow density/calcium deficiency, etc.) 

**************Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used car listings at AOL Autos. (http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)

Guest guest

I am less than engaged in my Celiac treatment, however my GI is in San Ramon. He is Dr. Rowe. I was referred to him by my physician and by my general surgeon (who thought I had gall bladder disease). Dr. Rowe's information is: 925-901-1303. He fits the bill for kind, compassionate and listening. I say this as I have spent several appointments in his office sobbing. He was quick to make the diagnosis and refer me to a dietician. I believe he is very supportive of various complimentary healing, but not sure what else other than a dietician you are referring to. He has also been very thorough in ensuring that any possible hidden side effects don't go unnoticed (bone marrow density/calcium deficiency, etc.) I'm sorry to be so vague,

but as I said, I have been less than engaged in my treatment.

----- Original Message ----From: Caryn Gottfried <caryn777@...> Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:12:52 PMSubject: Re: [ ] Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

Unfortunately, no one replied with name of an East Bay doctor. I don't quite understand that; there must be plenty of us celiacs in Oakland, Berkeley, Lafayette, etc.

Caryn

Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:15 AM

Subject: Re: [ ] Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

Please let me know what you find out - I live in Berkeley and wouldlike to find a good doctor as well that won't tell me to eat morefiber when I discuss my symptons ;-)On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Caryn Gottfried<caryn777earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:>>>>> Hi Everyone,>> Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is very knowledgeable> about celiac disease who is located in Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or> Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someone who is kind, compassionate, LISTENS,> and hopefully is open to "complementary" healing (diet, etc.)since I see> also see an MD who is holistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).>> I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERY skilled> and

specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours to drive to his> office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I saw Dr. Aron 6 years ago> when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have not had to see him much since I> have been very healthy up to now. I just started to have many symptoms- I> may have developed an ulcer- and if I have to drive to many appointments,> other closer locations would be more convenient.>> Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who are closer> to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone have any> suggestions/ feedback?>> Thanks,> Caryn Gottfried>>>>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.3/1391 - Release Date: 4/22/2008 8:15 AM

Guest guest

He is my GI doc too. I refused the

biopsy as the prep (eating gluten) made me so sick I decided that I really did

not need the “gold standard”. Since then we have only seen

each other for other tests – coloscopy based on the “now you are 50”

standards. He has not pursued me with follow up for gluten intolerance

care.

Connie

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008

9:25 AM

Subject: [ ] Re:

Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut

Creek

Hi Caryn,

Dr. Faraz Berjis has offices in Berkeley and Walnut Creek. He caught

my celiac disease right away, even though I presented with

non-classical symptoms. He seemed knowledgeable and thorough, and is

very personable. I don't have a sense yet of how he is with managing

ongoing celiac disease, because I was just diagnosed a couple of

months ago. But I appreciated that he encouraged me to do my own

research and bring questions for him on subsequent visits. After the

endoscopy confirmed the dx, he referred me to a dietician which was

quite helpful. He also gave me an order for a baseline bone density

scan at my request.

I had a lot of questions for him about my young kids -- would they

need to be tested etc, and he did his best to answer them but also

acknowledged pediatric stuff wasn't his forte and referred me to a

pediatric GI.

I have a follow up visit in another month, and will probably get a

better sense then about ongoing care than I have now. But I encourage

you to call and set up a consult to see how you like him.

http://www.giassociatesonline.com/

Good luck!

kristin

--- In ,

" Caryn Gottfried " <caryn777@...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is very

knowledgeable about celiac disease who is located in Orinda,

Lafayette, Walnut

Creek, or Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someone

who is kind, compassionate, LISTENS, and hopefully is open to

" complementary " healing (diet, etc.)since I see also see an MD who is

holistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).

>

> I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERY

skilled and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours to

drive to his office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I saw

Dr. Aron 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have not

had to see him much since I have been very healthy up to now. I just

started to have many symptoms- I may have developed an ulcer- and if I

have to drive to many appointments, other closer locations would be

more convenient.

>

> Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who are

closer to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone have

any suggestions/feedback?

>

> Thanks,

> Caryn Gottfried

>

Guest guest

Thanks so much, .

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:25 AM

Subject: [ ] Re: Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

Hi Caryn, Dr. Faraz Berjis has offices in Berkeley and Walnut Creek. He caughtmy celiac disease right away, even though I presented withnon-classical symptoms. He seemed knowledgeable and thorough, and isvery personable. I don't have a sense yet of how he is with managingongoing celiac disease, because I was just diagnosed a couple ofmonths ago. But I appreciated that he encouraged me to do my ownresearch and bring questions for him on subsequent visits. After theendoscopy confirmed the dx, he referred me to a dietician which wasquite helpful. He also gave me an order for a baseline bone densityscan at my request. I had a lot of questions for him about my young kids -- would theyneed to be tested etc, and he did his best to answer them but alsoacknowledged pediatric stuff wasn't his forte and referred me to apediatric GI.I have a follow up visit in another month, and will probably get abetter sense then about ongoing care than I have now. But I encourageyou to call and set up a consult to see how you like him.http://www.giassociatesonline.com/510.548.6555Good luck!kristin--- In , "Caryn Gottfried" <caryn777@...>wrote:>> Hi Everyone,> > Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is veryknowledgeable about celiac disease who is located in Orinda,Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someonewho is kind, compassionate, LISTENS, and hopefully is open to"complementary" healing (diet, etc.)since I see also see an MD who isholistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).> > I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERYskilled and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours todrive to his office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I sawDr. Aron 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have nothad to see him much since I have been very healthy up to now. I juststarted to have many symptoms- I may have developed an ulcer- and if Ihave to drive to many appointments, other closer locations would bemore convenient.> > Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who arecloser to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone haveany suggestions/feedback?> > Thanks,> Caryn Gottfried>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.3/1393 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 8:12 AM

Guest guest

Thanks for info, Connie

Caryn

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 4:42 PM

Subject: RE: [ ] Re: Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

He is my GI doc too. I refused the biopsy as the prep (eating gluten) made me so sick I decided that I really did not need the “gold standard”. Since then we have only seen each other for other tests – coloscopy based on the “now you are 50” standards. He has not pursued me with follow up for gluten intolerance care.

Connie

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of kriscourteSent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:25 AM Subject: [ ] Re: Gastro Doc in E. Bay, Laf., Walnut Creek

Hi Caryn, Dr. Faraz Berjis has offices in Berkeley and Walnut Creek. He caughtmy celiac disease right away, even though I presented withnon-classical symptoms. He seemed knowledgeable and thorough, and isvery personable. I don't have a sense yet of how he is with managingongoing celiac disease, because I was just diagnosed a couple ofmonths ago. But I appreciated that he encouraged me to do my ownresearch and bring questions for him on subsequent visits. After theendoscopy confirmed the dx, he referred me to a dietician which wasquite helpful. He also gave me an order for a baseline bone densityscan at my request. I had a lot of questions for him about my young kids -- would theyneed to be tested etc, and he did his best to answer them but alsoacknowledged pediatric stuff wasn't his forte and referred me to apediatric GI.I have a follow up visit in another month, and will probably get abetter sense then about ongoing care than I have now. But I encourageyou to call and set up a consult to see how you like him.http://www.giassociatesonline.com/510.548.6555Good luck!kristin--- In , "Caryn Gottfried" <caryn777@...>wrote:>> Hi Everyone,> > Does anyone have a referral to a gastro doctor who is veryknowledgeable about celiac disease who is located in Orinda,Lafayette, Walnut Creek, or Oakland/Berkeley? I would like someonewho is kind, compassionate, LISTENS, and hopefully is open to"complementary" healing (diet, etc.)since I see also see an MD who isholistically trained- Dr. Marcey Shapiro in Albany).> > I am currently seeing Dr. Aron in San Francisco who is VERYskilled and specializes in celiac, but it can take up to two hours todrive to his office when there is traffic (I live in Moraga). I sawDr. Aron 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac, but have nothad to see him much since I have been very healthy up to now. I juststarted to have many symptoms- I may have developed an ulcer- and if Ihave to drive to many appointments, other closer locations would bemore convenient.> > Of course, if there are no other doctors as good as Dr. Aron who arecloser to me, I will continue dealing with the commute. Anyone haveany suggestions/feedback?> > Thanks,> Caryn Gottfried>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.3/1393 - Release Date: 4/23/2008 8:12 AM