first time Friday night (added walnuts & raisins) and sort of ran into the

same problem (I thought) I had them in a round glass Pyrex pan (all I had) so I

thought that was the problem. They were “boiling” in the oven

too. I didn’t want to overcook them, so I took them out in the

30min and was pleasantly surprised after they cooled…very moist and chewy…which

I preferred, most of the GF brownies ive had these days are cake-like and

crumbling, which are just ok to me.

Ps – Vic, I saved the bag to re-use J I respect a fellow

recycling nerd (well that’s what I label myself anyway)

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of jeansomlo

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 11:54

AM

Subject: [ ] Re: More

Brownies

I made the trader joe's GF brownies last weekend and

they came out

great. I ended up adding tons of extra chocolate chips though

(probably close to 1/2 or 3/4 of a cup). They were fudgy, but not

greasy. I used canola oil - not sure if the kind of oil makes a

difference. Thanks for the black bean brownie recipe- I'll have to

check it out. I definitely prefer baking from scratch versus a mix

but I'm so new to GF cooking I'm taking it slow as I've had some bad

early experiences w/ sticky messes (pizza dough, pancakes, etc.)

BTW yesterday I nearly glutenated myself. I had bought one of those

16 bean soup mixes and figured as long as I didn't use the " broth "

packet I was fine. So I soaked the beans overnight and then spent 4

hours making the soup. One bite in I realized I thought I sensed

something chewy that did not seem like a bean - more like barley -

and sure enough upon pulling the bag out of the trash and checking

the ingredients, barley was considered one of the " beans " . Grrr....

Fortunately I spat out the bite and never had a reaction. So my

brother came over and took the soup home w/ him. Gotta remember to

check those labels!

--- In ,

Stiavetti <steph@...>

wrote:

>

> I just tried the Trader Joe's GF brownies, and what a flop! I

> followed the recipe exactly as it's stated on the bag, and it was

so

> greasy that it literally boiled in the baking pan without ever

> baking. It called for 1/2c of oil, and yet that seemed like way

too

> much. Bummer. :(

>

> Then I came across this recipe this morning for black bean

brownies.

> No flour, and it uses agave nectar as a sweetener so it's not all

> gross processed-sugar ick. Enjoy!

>

> http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-

recipe.html

>

>

>

>

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>

>

> me: Stiavetti

> mail: steph@...

> eats: http://www.wasabimon.com

>

> And I'm floating in a most peculiar way

> And the stars look very different today

>

Guest guest

Huh! I cooked them for longer and they turned into chocolate asphalt. Maybe I will try again for the recommended cooking time, with less oil like Viviana, and let them cool to see what happens.On Mar 17, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Wallace wrote:I made the TJ’s GF brownies for the first time Friday night (added walnuts & raisins) and sort of ran into the same problem (I thought) I had them in a round glass Pyrex pan (all I had) so I thought that was the problem. They were “boiling” in the oven too. I didn’t want to overcook them, so I took them out in the 30min and was pleasantly surprised after they cooled…very moist and chewy…which I preferred, most of the GF brownies ive had these days are cake-like and crumbling, which are just ok to me. Ps – Vic, I saved the bag to re-use J I respect a fellow recycling nerd (well that’s what I label myself anyway) From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of jeansomloSent: Monday, March 17, 2008 11:54 AM Subject: [ ] Re: More Brownies I made the trader joe's GF brownies last weekend and they came out great. I ended up adding tons of extra chocolate chips though (probably close to 1/2 or 3/4 of a cup). They were fudgy, but not greasy. I used canola oil - not sure if the kind of oil makes a difference. Thanks for the black bean brownie recipe- I'll have to check it out. I definitely prefer baking from scratch versus a mix but I'm so new to GF cooking I'm taking it slow as I've had some bad early experiences w/ sticky messes (pizza dough, pancakes, etc.)BTW yesterday I nearly glutenated myself. I had bought one of those 16 bean soup mixes and figured as long as I didn't use the "broth" packet I was fine. So I soaked the beans overnight and then spent 4 hours making the soup. One bite in I realized I thought I sensed something chewy that did not seem like a bean - more like barley - and sure enough upon pulling the bag out of the trash and checking the ingredients, barley was considered one of the "beans". Grrr.... Fortunately I spat out the bite and never had a reaction. So my brother came over and took the soup home w/ him. Gotta remember to check those labels!>> I just tried the Trader Joe's GF brownies, and what a flop! I > followed the recipe exactly as it's stated on the bag, and it was so > greasy that it literally boiled in the baking pan without ever > baking. It called for 1/2c of oil, and yet that seemed like way too > much. Bummer. :(> > Then I came across this recipe this morning for black bean brownies. > No flour, and it uses agave nectar as a sweetener so it's not all > gross processed-sugar ick. Enjoy!> > http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-recipe.html> > > > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^> > > me: Stiavetti> mail: steph@...> eats: http://www.wasabimon.com> > And I'm floating in a most peculiar way> And the stars look very different today> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^me: Stiavettimail: steph@...eats: http://www.wasabimon.comI may not have gone where I intended to go,but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.douglas adams

Guest guest

I forgot to mention that I added chocolate chips, semisweet ones. I think that helped. Stiavetti <steph@...> wrote: Huh! I cooked them for longer and they turned into chocolate asphalt. Maybe I will try again for the recommended cooking time, with less oil like Viviana, and let them cool to see what happens.On Mar 17, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Wallace wrote:I made the TJ’s GF brownies for the first time Friday night (added walnuts & raisins) and sort of ran into the same problem (I thought) I had them in a round glass Pyrex pan (all I had) so I thought that was the problem. They were “boiling” in the oven too. I didn’t want to overcook them, so

I took them out in the 30min and was pleasantly surprised after they cooled…very moist and chewy…which I preferred, most of the GF brownies ive had these days are cake-like and crumbling, which are just ok to me. Ps – Vic, I saved the bag to re-use J I respect a fellow recycling

nerd (well that’s what I label myself anyway) From: [mailto: ] On

Behalf Of jeansomloSent: Monday, March 17, 2008 11:54 AM Subject: [ ] Re: More Brownies I made the trader joe's GF brownies last weekend

and they came out great. I ended up adding tons of extra chocolate chips though (probably close to 1/2 or 3/4 of a cup). They were fudgy, but not greasy. I used canola oil - not sure if the kind of oil makes a difference. Thanks for the black bean brownie recipe- I'll have to check it out. I definitely prefer baking from scratch versus a mix but I'm so new to GF cooking I'm taking it slow as I've had some bad early experiences w/ sticky messes (pizza dough, pancakes, etc.)BTW yesterday I nearly glutenated myself. I had bought one of those 16 bean soup mixes

and figured as long as I didn't use the "broth" packet I was fine. So I soaked the beans overnight and then spent 4 hours making the soup. One bite in I realized I thought I sensed something chewy that did not seem like a bean - more like barley - and sure enough upon pulling the bag out of the trash and checking the ingredients, barley was considered one of the "beans". Grrr.... Fortunately I spat out the bite and never had a reaction. So my brother came over and took the soup home w/ him. Gotta remember to check those labels!>> I just tried the Trader Joe's GF brownies, and what a flop! I > followed the recipe exactly as it's stated on the bag, and it was so > greasy that it literally boiled in the baking pan without ever > baking. It called for 1/2c of oil, and yet that seemed like way too > much. Bummer. :(> > Then I came across this recipe this morning for black

bean brownies. > No flour, and it uses agave nectar as a sweetener so it's not all > gross processed-sugar ick. Enjoy!> > http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/amazing-black-bean-brownies-recipe.html> > > > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^> > > me: Stiavetti> mail: steph@...> eats: http://www.wasabimon.com> > And I'm floating in a most peculiar way> And the stars look very different today> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^me: Stiavettimail: stephhyperreal (DOT) orgeats: http://www.wasabimon.comI may not have gone where I intended to go,but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.douglas adams ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Viviana Acevedo-BoltonStanford UniversityCivil and Environmental Engineeringvivianaa@...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"los hermanos sean unidos, esa es la ley primera, que sino los devoran los de afuera..."~ Fierro

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.