RemedySpot.com

Re: Stanford University places to eat

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

There's an Andale on Chestnut Street in San Francisco . . . I wonder if it's GF.

H.

In a message dated 4/8/08 4:56:03 PM, ddarcy@... writes:

I live near downtown PA and only 2 miles from the University. Just outside Stanford on University Ave there is Andale (Mexican) which my strict celiac neighbors say is safe -- but do make sure to ask for GF. If you want a nicer meal, then St. 's Cafe (Cal cuisine)right across from Whole Foods on Emerson at Homer also understands GF -- and it's easier for them to accommodate if you go when it's not too crowded, but they did manage well for us even during the brunch rush. Since my daughter was only recently diagnosed, we are still exploring to see what other restaurants can accommodate GF as well. Enjoy your visit!

**************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides. (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

Guest guest

Hi Tasha,I am a student at Stanford so I eat here all the time. The place I've found to be the most accommodating is Bytes Cafe (in the Packard Building). They have a lot of salads that you can order without bread that are fine. They also usually have one main dish that is celiac friendly, just remember to ask about the bread! There is one dish that I seem to be okay with at the Thai Cafe (the bbq pork salad). There is a Whole Foods in downtown PA not too far, but still off campus. Hope that helps!Vivianatash_o8 <tash_o8@...> wrote: Hi everyone, I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know. Thanks for your help, Tasha ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Viviana Acevedo-BoltonStanford UniversityCivil and Environmental Engineeringvivianaa@...~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"los hermanos sean unidos, esa es la ley primera, que sino los devoran los de

afuera..."~ Fierro

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

This isn't on campus, but we had an excellent (and quite expensive) meal last weekend at Mantra on Emerson (2 blocks below University). Almost everything on the menu is gf. The manager assured me they don't use any kind of roux in their sauces and simply steered me away from the fried pastry-type appetizers (such as samosas) and the bread (of course) and one other appetizer that he said is usually made with just chickpea flour but occasionally has wheat flour in the mix. He was thoughtful enough to recommend a potato vodka for my fancy Mantra cocktail --highly recommended! -- (though I'm of the belief that gluten gets removed in the distillation process). In any case, it was nice that he thought through all the way to the drinks menu for me! And the food was wonderful.

In a message dated 4/8/08 5:09:39 PM, nerd2art@... writes:

I also live in Palo Alto.  We have always had luck at Celia's on El Camino (Palo Alto, can't say anything about the Menlo Park restaurant).  Just tell them your needs and they will tell you what's safe.  There are many safe choices there.

D Darcy <ddarcy@stanfordalumddarcy> wrote:

I live near downtown PA and only 2 miles from the University. Just outside Stanford on University Ave there is Andale (Mexican) which my strict celiac neighbors say is safe -- but do make sure to ask for GF. If you want a nicer meal, then St. 's Cafe (Cal cuisine)right across from Whole Foods on Emerson at Homer also understands GF -- and it's easier for them to accommodate if you go when it's not too crowded, but they did manage well for us even during the brunch rush. Since my daughter was only recently diagnosed, we are still exploring to see what other restaurants can accommodate GF as well. Enjoy your visit!

From: @ celiacbayar @<wbr>yaho @ celiOn Behalf Of Viviana Acevedo-Bolton

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:14 PM

@ celiacbay

Subject: Re: [ ] Stanford University places to eat

Hi Tasha,

I am a student at Stanford so I eat here all the time. The place I've found to be the most accommodating is Bytes Cafe (in the Packard Building). They have a lot of salads that you can order without bread that are fine. They also usually have one main dish that is celiac friendly, just remember to ask about the bread! There is one dish that I seem to be okay with at the Thai Cafe (the bbq pork salad). There is a Whole Foods in downtown PA not too far, but still off campus.

Hope that helps!

Viviana

tash_o8 <tash_o8@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there

were any restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I

hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know.

Thanks for your help,

Tasha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Viviana Acevedo-Bolton

Stanford University

Civil and Environmental Engineering

vivianaa@...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"los hermanos sean unidos, esa es la ley primera, que sino los devoran los de afuera..."

~ Fierro

You rock. That's why Blockbuster' You rock. Thatone month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

**************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides. (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

Guest guest

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Viviana Acevedo-BoltonSent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:14 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Stanford University places to eat

Hi Tasha,I am a student at Stanford so I eat here all the time. The place I've found to be the most accommodating is Bytes Cafe (in the Packard Building). They have a lot of salads that you can order without bread that are fine. They also usually have one main dish that is celiac friendly, just remember to ask about the bread! There is one dish that I seem to be okay with at the Thai Cafe (the bbq pork salad). There is a Whole Foods in downtown PA not too far, but still off campus. Hope that helps!Vivianatash_o8 <tash_o8 > wrote:

Hi everyone,I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know.Thanks for your help,Tasha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Viviana Acevedo-BoltonStanford UniversityCivil and Environmental Engineeringvivianaastanford (DOT) edu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"los hermanos sean unidos, esa es la ley primera, que sino los devoran los de afuera..."~ Fierro

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

I also live in Palo Alto. We have always had luck at Celia's on El Camino (Palo Alto, can't say anything about the Menlo Park restaurant). Just tell them your needs and they will tell you what's safe. There are many safe choices there.D Darcy <ddarcy@...> wrote: I live near downtown PA and only 2 miles from the University. Just outside Stanford on University Ave there is Andale (Mexican) which my

strict celiac neighbors say is safe -- but do make sure to ask for GF. If you want a nicer meal, then St. 's Cafe (Cal cuisine)right across from Whole Foods on Emerson at Homer also understands GF -- and it's easier for them to accommodate if you go when it's not too crowded, but they did manage well for us even during the brunch rush. Since my daughter was only recently diagnosed, we are still exploring to see what other restaurants can accommodate GF as well. Enjoy your visit! From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Viviana Acevedo-BoltonSent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:14 PM Subject: Re: [ ] Stanford University places to eat Hi Tasha,I am a student at Stanford so I eat here all the time. The place I've found to be the most accommodating is Bytes Cafe (in the Packard Building). They have a lot of salads that you can order without bread that are fine. They also usually have one main dish that is celiac friendly, just remember to ask about the bread! There is one dish that I seem to be okay with at the Thai Cafe (the bbq pork salad). There is a Whole Foods in downtown PA not too far, but still off campus. Hope that helps!Vivianatash_o8 <tash_o8 > wrote: Hi everyone,I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any

restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know.Thanks for your help,Tasha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Viviana Acevedo-BoltonStanford UniversityCivil and Environmental Engineeringvivianaastanford (DOT) edu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"los hermanos sean unidos, esa es la ley primera, que sino los devoran los de afuera..."~ Fierro You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

I'm also a Stanford (grad) student. The Whole Foods is small and a

little far to walk, but if you have a car it's manageable.

I've eaten some of the veggie dishes at the Thai Cafe, but it's almost

impossible to get to talk to someone about the ingredients so I don't

necessarily recommend it. The cafeteria in the basement of the

Business school has a good salad bar with more options than most, and

Olives has some good packaged salads and yogurt etc. The convenience

store on campus in the student union used to sell Nana's no gluten

cookies, and there's also a Jamba Juice and Peet's coffee in the

student union. Occasionally the cafeteria there has something

gluten-free, but you have to hunt and the hours can be inconvenient.

Off campus on University there's a Japanese restaurant (right across

the train tracks) that I've often eaten at- just simple rolls should

be ok. There's also Satura, a Japanese cake shop, with a gluten-free

cake called Yuna on the same street in downtown Palo Alto. I've eaten

it several times although usually I wouldn't risk a cake like that. It

is made on site and wrapped in plastic so at least after it's made CC

is low. I've heard the diner in Palo Alto (I forget the name, it's off

of University as you go towards Whole FOods) offers some kind of

gluten-free bread, but I've never tried it or checked. 's Cafe

(same downtown area) is pretty good about helping with GF stuff, but

it's not cheap.

Hope this helps!

-

>

> Hi everyone,

> I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there

> were any restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I

> hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know.

> Thanks for your help,

> Tasha

>

Guest guest

- Do you mean the Peninsula Creamery -- is that the diner? It's on the corner of Emerson and Hamilton. I didn't know they had GF bread - that's great to hear! I will have to check to see if they bake any GF pies (Their regular pies are great.) and see if they can make GF shakes (again, their regular shakes are fantastic).

Also, it's St. 's Cafe, which is on Emerson near Homer, right across from Whole Foods. Nice place, and indeed helpful. (There is also a Mike's Cafe in midtown and in Menlo Park, but I have no idea whether they understand GF, haven't asked. Those two are not related to St. 's.)

Can you be confident at Jamba juice, even though they add wheat-based stuff to some of the smoothies? Will they use a new blender for a GF smoothie?

Thanks,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of seamaiden399Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 9:44 AM Subject: [ ] Re: Stanford University places to eat

I'm also a Stanford (grad) student. The Whole Foods is small and alittle far to walk, but if you have a car it's manageable.I've eaten some of the veggie dishes at the Thai Cafe, but it's almostimpossible to get to talk to someone about the ingredients so I don'tnecessarily recommend it. The cafeteria in the basement of theBusiness school has a good salad bar with more options than most, andOlives has some good packaged salads and yogurt etc. The conveniencestore on campus in the student union used to sell Nana's no glutencookies, and there's also a Jamba Juice and Peet's coffee in thestudent union. Occasionally the cafeteria there has somethinggluten-free, but you have to hunt and the hours can be inconvenient.Off campus on University there's a Japanese restaurant (right acrossthe train tracks) that I've often eaten at- just simple rolls shouldbe ok. There's also Satura, a Japanese cake shop, with a gluten-freecake called Yuna on the same street in downtown Palo Alto. I've eatenit several times although usually I wouldn't risk a cake like that. Itis made on site and wrapped in plastic so at least after it's made CCis low. I've heard the diner in Palo Alto (I forget the name, it's offof University as you go towards Whole FOods) offers some kind ofgluten-free bread, but I've never tried it or checked. 's Cafe(same downtown area) is pretty good about helping with GF stuff, butit's not cheap.Hope this helps!->> Hi everyone,> I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was wondering if there > were any restaurants on campus that were accommodating to celiacs. I > hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about all I know.> Thanks for your help,> Tasha>

Guest guest

I go to the Creamery regularly. The have 2 GF breads

and wonderful GF choc chip cookies. Both must be

special ordered a day in advance. They have specific

bakers who do the GF stuff that understand cc. I have

also provided them with 5 " baking rings so they can

make hamburger buns or English-style muffins. When

ordering those, however, you need to talk to one

particular baker who knows where my rings are stored.

--- D Darcy <ddarcy@...> wrote:

> - Do you mean the Peninsula Creamery -- is

> that the diner? It's on

> the corner of Emerson and Hamilton. I didn't know

> they had GF bread - that's

> great to hear! I will have to check to see if they

> bake any GF pies (Their

> regular pies are great.) and see if they can make GF

> shakes (again, their

> regular shakes are fantastic).

>

> Also, it's St. 's Cafe, which is on Emerson

> near Homer, right across

> from Whole Foods. Nice place, and indeed helpful.

> (There is also a Mike's

> Cafe in midtown and in Menlo Park, but I have no

> idea whether they

> understand GF, haven't asked. Those two are not

> related to St. 's.)

>

> Can you be confident at Jamba juice, even though

> they add wheat-based stuff

> to some of the smoothies? Will they use a new

> blender for a GF smoothie?

> Thanks,

>

>

>

> _____

>

> From:

> [mailto: ]

> On Behalf Of seamaiden399

> Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 9:44 AM

>

> Subject: [ ] Re: Stanford University

> places to eat

>

>

>

> I'm also a Stanford (grad) student. The Whole Foods

> is small and a

> little far to walk, but if you have a car it's

> manageable.

>

> I've eaten some of the veggie dishes at the Thai

> Cafe, but it's almost

> impossible to get to talk to someone about the

> ingredients so I don't

> necessarily recommend it. The cafeteria in the

> basement of the

> Business school has a good salad bar with more

> options than most, and

> Olives has some good packaged salads and yogurt etc.

> The convenience

> store on campus in the student union used to sell

> Nana's no gluten

> cookies, and there's also a Jamba Juice and Peet's

> coffee in the

> student union. Occasionally the cafeteria there has

> something

> gluten-free, but you have to hunt and the hours can

> be inconvenient.

>

> Off campus on University there's a Japanese

> restaurant (right across

> the train tracks) that I've often eaten at- just

> simple rolls should

> be ok. There's also Satura, a Japanese cake shop,

> with a gluten-free

> cake called Yuna on the same street in downtown Palo

> Alto. I've eaten

> it several times although usually I wouldn't risk a

> cake like that. It

> is made on site and wrapped in plastic so at least

> after it's made CC

> is low. I've heard the diner in Palo Alto (I forget

> the name, it's off

> of University as you go towards Whole FOods) offers

> some kind of

> gluten-free bread, but I've never tried it or

> checked. 's Cafe

> (same downtown area) is pretty good about helping

> with GF stuff, but

> it's not cheap.

>

> Hope this helps!

> -

>

>

> >

> > Hi everyone,

> > I will be visiting Stanford in a few weeks and was

> wondering if there

> > were any restaurants on campus that were

> accommodating to celiacs. I

> > hear there is Whole Foods nearby but that's about

> all I know.

> > Thanks for your help,

> > Tasha

> >

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Tasha,

My favorite restaurant on University Ave. in Palo Alto is Siam Royal, a Thai

restaurant. I

always check with the owner or chef to make sure that whatever I order is gluten

free. So

far I haven't had a problem ever and the food is fantastic.

Here is the website:

http://www.siamroyalthai.com/

Have fun!

Susi

Guest guest

Yes, that's it- St. s Cafe. When I went there the waiter said

he had a friend with Celiac and was very helpful.

Jamba Juice cleans their blenders between runs and I have never had a

problem. Their ingredient list book has a specific page answering

questions about gluten. A few of the add-ons contain gluten in small

amounts. They also have wheat grass juice, which is somewhat

controversial and I would not personally order it, but is easy enough

to avoid. The levels of gluten and CC potential in their establishment

are much lower than most restaurants, IMO, so I have no hesitation

about " eating " there.

-

> Can you be confident at Jamba juice, even though they add

wheat-based stuff

> to some of the smoothies? Will they use a new blender for a GF smoothie?

> Thanks,

>

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the great info you have

provided for me! It's greatly appreciated.

>

> Yes, that's it- St. s Cafe. When I went there the waiter said

> he had a friend with Celiac and was very helpful.

>

> Jamba Juice cleans their blenders between runs and I have never had

a

> problem. Their ingredient list book has a specific page answering

> questions about gluten. A few of the add-ons contain gluten in small

> amounts. They also have wheat grass juice, which is somewhat

> controversial and I would not personally order it, but is easy

enough

> to avoid. The levels of gluten and CC potential in their

establishment

> are much lower than most restaurants, IMO, so I have no hesitation

> about " eating " there.