RemedySpot.com

Re: GF Injera at Ethiopian Restaurant? (was Re: Teff)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I assume you've tried the one on Ave in downtown ? I haven't tried it, so I'm no expert.hosnar <hosnar@...> wrote: My understanding is that injera is traditionally made w/o wheat flour, but in the US wheat flour is usually added. Has anyone else had any luck in finding an Ethiopian restaurant that makes GF injera? S >

> BTW, I have searched high and low for a restaurant that makes 100% > teff injera in the bay area (and DC too). They just simply do not > exist. As mentioned, wheat flour makes the dough way cheaper and > easier to handle... >

Guest guest

after talking to the staff at my local ethiopian place, the owner says that they add wheat flour because of the level of humidity here. apparently the teff won't ferment correctly, and the wheat flour helps it along. also, she says that making it with rice flour makes it too brittle for most people's tastes, and that the gluten helps make it stretchy (duh).On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:02 AM, hosnar wrote:My understanding is that injera is traditionally made w/o wheat flour, but in the US wheat flour is usually added. Has anyone else had any luck in finding an Ethiopian restaurant that makes GF injera?S>> BTW, I have searched high and low for a restaurant that makes 100%> teff injera in the bay area (and DC too). They just simply do not> exist. As mentioned, wheat flour makes the dough way cheaper and> easier to handle...> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^me: Stiavettimail: steph@...eats: http://www.wasabimon.com'Perhaps they were right in putting love into books,' he thought quietly. 'Perhaps it could not live anywhere else.'

Guest guest

Hi, My boyfriend is Ethiopian, and when his family makes injera at home they add barley not wheat, so that is something else to make sure to ask. Lexie

between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99

Guest guest

Just to let you know, several months ago I called all the ehtopian

restaurants I knew about in Berkeley/Oakland and even SF and they all

use wheat or barley.

I wonder if any of the other dishes have gluten in them and how the CC

issue is at those restaurants. I haven't risked it yet myself - has

anyone else?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:02 AM, hosnar <hosnar@...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

> My understanding is that injera is traditionally made w/o wheat flour,

> but in the US wheat flour is usually added. Has anyone else had any

> luck in finding an Ethiopian restaurant that makes GF injera?

>

> S

>

>

> >

> > BTW, I have searched high and low for a restaurant that makes 100%

> > teff injera in the bay area (and DC too). They just simply do not

> > exist. As mentioned, wheat flour makes the dough way cheaper and

> > easier to handle...

> >

>

>