RemedySpot.com

Re: I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Maybe Cafe Gratitude is thinking of opening a restaurant in San ...or you could approach the owners to find out. They are entirely gluten and dairy free (specializing in vegan, raw foods, though every once in a while they'll have a cooked lentil soup). They do rely on a lot of nuts, however, so it's not the place for anyone with a nut allergy. I love the place, and even my 7 and 4 year olds love to eat there.

In a message dated 6/3/08 12:43:28 PM, pknewbury@... writes:

>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats

>(or are entirely gluten-free)(or are entirely gluten-free)<wbr>.  Are

……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas???  San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area.  I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz?   I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/I’m thinking of r

The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons.  Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls.  If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well.  Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in this group?  I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital.   Any ideas of what it would take to do this?  Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute?  Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

**************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4? & NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

Guest guest

I hear you, Pam. And maybe we can get a franchise in San Francisco . . .

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue 6/3/2008 12:42 PM

Subject: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of

gluten-free eats

>(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?

.....So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San

is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an

enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to

encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or

Santa Cruz? I'm thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling

resources/capital/recipes/skills.

The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but

with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts),

and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb

diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches,

mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some

vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid

friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of time, but

I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to

do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with

resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

I was wanting to open a cafe before we went GF! Now I want my cafe to

be GF, traditional foods. And other allergy-friendly. And kid

friendly. And local and organic. And affordable.

The problem is that I don't know the first thing about starting a

cafe. I haven't started GF baking, and my 18mo dd goes everywhere

with me. I'm resourceful and learn quick, though :) So if I had some

help and encouragement/motivation...

in Mountain View

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:

>

>

>>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of

>> gluten-free eats

>

>>(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?

>

> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San

> is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an

> enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to

> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or

> Santa Cruz? I'm thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling

> resources/capital/recipes/skills.

>

> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but

> with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts),

> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb

> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches,

> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some

> vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid

> friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

>

> So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of time, but

> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to

> do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with

> resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

>

>

>

> Pam Newbury

>

Guest guest

I have wondered this same thing for a few years now. Why is it that places with a much smaller population (like Madison, WI where my parents live) have many more choices for gluten free dining? I just don't get it! My husband and I went to New York City last summer and I came back all fired up to get things going here. In New York you can get gluten free pizza, pancakes, sandwiches, pasta, dinner rolls, dessert and it's more than one restaurant! I have all the menus of the places we went and planned on going around to similar restaurants here and seeing what they could do. Alas, several months have passed and I haven't done anything.....taking care of a 4 year old and 7 year old is all I seem to have time for these days! I would love to work with a group that can work with local restaurants. There's the Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program, but I think you have to have a local chapter of the GIG to do it (not completely sure about that).

In any case, count me in on a restaurant group. I will be out of town through mid July, but could do something after that.

Amy in Sunnyvale

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:42 PM

>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats

……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills.

The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

Pam.. I owned and was the chef at Cafe Shred ( white linen custom

cuisine bistro ) in Lucerne and the consulting chef for the alpine

cafe AND was considered for the wine makers diner at Ciago winery (

owned by Jim Fetzer )choices in life led me back to the bay area but

I have NEVER let go of my desire to create.. I would love to be ANY

part of this...

CJ Cameron Sr 408-202-1862

, " Amy Bhatnagar " <amy.bhatnagar@...>

wrote:

>

> I have wondered this same thing for a few years now. Why is it

that places with a much smaller population (like Madison, WI where my

parents live) have many more choices for gluten free dining? I just

don't get it! My husband and I went to New York City last summer and

I came back all fired up to get things going here. In New York you

can get gluten free pizza, pancakes, sandwiches, pasta, dinner rolls,

dessert and it's more than one restaurant! I have all the menus of

the places we went and planned on going around to similar restaurants

here and seeing what they could do. Alas, several months have passed

and I haven't done anything.....taking care of a 4 year old and 7

year old is all I seem to have time for these days! I would love to

work with a group that can work with local restaurants. There's the

Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program, but I think you have to

have a local chapter of the GIG to do it (not completely sure about

that).

>

> In any case, count me in on a restaurant group. I will be out of

town through mid July, but could do something after that.

> Amy in Sunnyvale

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Pam Newbury

>

> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:42 PM

> Subject: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large

selection of gluten-free eats

>

> >(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San

area?

>

>

>

> ....So how can we get something like this in San or other

areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support

that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we

celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF

restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I'm thinking of recruiting

local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills.

>

>

>

> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All

GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn,

dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II

diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be

simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza,

salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian

offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid friendly,

casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

>

>

>

> So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of

time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what

it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in

making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is

there a big enough market for this?

>

>

>

> Pam Newbury

>

Guest guest

count me in on thinking and helping. i don't have much time as I work full time. I know that most healthy living choices have been a struggle in the retail world - but perhaps the community of celiacs is becoming big enough that this is necessary.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Amy BhatnagarSent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:23 PM Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

I have wondered this same thing for a few years now. Why is it that places with a much smaller population (like Madison, WI where my parents live) have many more choices for gluten free dining? I just don't get it! My husband and I went to New York City last summer and I came back all fired up to get things going here. In New York you can get gluten free pizza, pancakes, sandwiches, pasta, dinner rolls, dessert and it's more than one restaurant! I have all the menus of the places we went and planned on going around to similar restaurants here and seeing what they could do. Alas, several months have passed and I haven't done anything.....taking care of a 4 year old and 7 year old is all I seem to have time for these days! I would love to work with a group that can work with local restaurants. There's the Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program, but I think you have to have a local chapter of the GIG to do it (not completely sure about that).

In any case, count me in on a restaurant group. I will be out of town through mid July, but could do something after that.

Amy in Sunnyvale

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:42 PM

……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills.

The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

I wondered about the idea of opening in a less prime retail spot to begin with ---- possibly a larger area with the ability to have a safari run type kids experience alongside fine food and dining. Wondered about doing it in a way that during the day it could be bright and breakfasty and in the evening, velvet drapes (or other) dropped down, lighting changed and it became more intimate.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of TrVerb@...Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:47 PM Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

Maybe Cafe Gratitude is thinking of opening a restaurant in San ...or you could approach the owners to find out. They are entirely gluten and dairy free (specializing in vegan, raw foods, though every once in a while they'll have a cooked lentil soup). They do rely on a lot of nuts, however, so it's not the place for anyone with a nut allergy. I love the place, and even my 7 and 4 year olds love to eat there.In a message dated 6/3/08 12:43:28 PM, pknewbury@... writes:

>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats>(or are entirely gluten-free)(or are entirely gluten-free)<wbr>. Are ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/I’m thinking of rThe vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?Pam Newbury**************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.(http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4? & NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

Guest guest

Eileen, we appreciated your efforts -- and results -- at "I Can Eat That". Circumstances kept me from getting to the places where the products were sold, so my chances to eat them were few. However, I was impressed at what you and your family achieved, and what that made possible for many of us. I hope your business will be a stepping stone for future efforts.

Harper

In a message dated 6/3/08 5:37:07 PM, megroff01@... writes:

We too found it to be quite a challenge to start up our wholesale bakery and obtain enough volume to make it a profitable business. We also had low overhead since we also had no salary and we did our own deliveries…but the rising costs of ingredients and the strain on our finances and personal life made us opt out of continuing the business right now. We had great response from customers and definitely saw the need and potential. But as Mariposa has experienced, you need a lot of $$$$ to get it up and going and sustained until you can get enough volume to turn profits that are rewarding.

I still think at some time we may reconsider some GF products. I feel that there is also a great need for healthy, allergen free “quick foodâ€. Like a walk up counter where you can get fabulous veggies and meats that are nicely grilled or steamed with various sauces. Kind of like a Askew Grill but that is quick take out food for healthy eaters on the go.

All my best to the creative thinkers and dreamers.

Eileen Groff

A former owner of The “I Can Eat That†Bakery

**************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4? & NCID=aolfod00030000000002)

Guest guest

Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining. I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit. With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a

cafe. I am looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all licenses and permits. I need the resources. If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and anyone else interested in this project. Best Wishes, Dana Hoppe Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC 408-887-6141Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote: >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats >(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area? ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big

enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills. The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract

that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?). So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this? Pam Newbury

Guest guest

How sad to hear that it is so difficult.

I wonder if it would make sense to combine a GF products retail store

- something I'd really like to see/do! - with a bakery/cafe. Seems

like the retail biz might be faster to turn a profit, and they would

have double the appeal for GF consumers. " Let's stop for sandwiches,

and stock up on pasta and crackers! " I think this area really needs a

dedicated GF store. I have toyed with the idea of starting one, but

the timing isn't right for me right now (I'd want to wait until my

kids are both in school).

-

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...> wrote:

> Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several

> years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten

> free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free

> Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months

> now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making

> a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that

> has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me

> doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining.

>

> I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did

> not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and

> being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit.

>

> With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe. I am

> looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place

> with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would

> love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all

> licenses and permits. I need the resources.

>

> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and

> anyone else interested in this project.

>

> Best Wishes,

> Dana Hoppe

> Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC

> 408-887-6141

>

> Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:

>

>> gluten-free eats

> Pam Newbury

>

>

Guest guest

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have been currently mentioning a similar idea to the business owners in Benicia, CA. So far, the consensus has been to create something that is both store and cafe. I am a graphic designer and an idea person. I would love to get on board with this.

I definitely think the store should specialize in the GOOD GF food and cut out the companies that offer nasty tasting products. Sorry to be harsh, but it's been too many times that someone assumes gluten free will taste good, just because it says gluten free on the box.

While I agree that an ALL gluten free store would be nice, I do think that if that's the case we'd have to have one heck of a cafe. Our food prices would have to be comparable to all those that don't eat gluten free.

The good thing is, if we start this now, we are hitting a time where food prices are high in general. So, we may be able to go ahead and charge the typical GF food prices. Please contact me at cizella@...

Thanks!CrystalOn Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM, <beznadan@...> wrote:

-

> Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several

> years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten

> now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making

> a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that

>

>

> love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all

>

> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and

>

> Best Wishes,

> Dana Hoppe

> 408-887-6141

>

>

>> gluten-free eats

> Pam Newbury

>

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Capital I don't have but this would be a dreamcome true. I'm handy with a computer and coulddo some networking/marketing/research. On Jun 3, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...> wrote:

Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining. I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit. With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a

cafe. I am looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all licenses and permits. I need the resources. If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and anyone else interested in this project. Best Wishes, Dana Hoppe Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC 408-887-6141Pam Newbury <pknewburyearthlink (DOT) net> wrote: >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats >(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area? ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big

enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills. The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract

that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?). So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this? Pam Newbury

Guest guest

Mariposa is stocking crackers and pretzels and pasta.

Connie

-----Original Message-----

On Behalf Of

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:59 PM

Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

-

> Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for

several

> years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been

gluten

> now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not

making

> a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money

that

>

>

> love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and

all

>

> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you

and

>

> Best Wishes,

> Dana Hoppe

> 408-887-6141

>

>

>> gluten-free eats

> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas???

San

> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low

carb

> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local:

sandwiches,

> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include

some

> So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of time,

but

> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take

to

> Pam Newbury

>

>

Guest guest

We too found it to be quite a challenge to

start up our wholesale bakery and obtain enough volume to make it a profitable

business. We also had low overhead since we also had no salary and we did our

own deliveries…but the rising costs of ingredients and the strain on our

finances and personal life made us opt out of continuing the business right

now. We had great response from customers and definitely saw the need and

potential. But as Mariposa has experienced, you need a lot of $$$$ to get it up

and going and sustained until you can get enough volume to turn profits that

are rewarding.

I still think at some time we may

reconsider some GF products. I feel that there is also a great need for

healthy, allergen free “quick food”. Like a walk up counter where

you can get fabulous veggies and meats that are nicely grilled or steamed with various

sauces. Kind of like a Askew Grill but that is quick take out food for healthy eaters

on the go.

All my best to the creative thinkers and

dreamers.

Eileen Groff

A former owner of The “I Can Eat

That” Bakery

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:32

PM

Subject: Re: [ ] I

have a (gluten-free) dream.....

Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this

dream for several years and have it documented through emails to friends.

I have been gluten free for eight years. After lots of research, I have

started Gluten Free Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's

Market for 2 months now. There has been lots of interest and support but

I am still not making a profit and have not even started to make a dent in

the chunk of money that has been invested to get started. This is with a

rented kitchen and me doing all the work (no salary). I am not

complaining.

I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did not paint a

pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and being in

business for four years, they are still not making a profit.

With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe.

I am looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place

with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I

would love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business

and all licenses and permits. I need the resources.

If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you

and anyone else interested in this project.

Best Wishes,

Dana Hoppe

Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC

408-887-6141

Pam Newbury

<pknewburyearthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

>I'm used to having a

few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats

>(or are entirely

gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?

……..So how can we get

something like this in San

or other areas??? San

is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise

somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or

foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San

or Santa Cruz?

I’m

thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/recipes/skills.

The vision: a café that serves

breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other

allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for

those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food

would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza,

salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you

could attract that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to

hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in

this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes,

and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this?

Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or

skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

Hi Pam

I have been in the business for 3 years now and also have yet to see a

profit...

for some reason it is really hard in the bay area, maybe because it is

so expensive and our prices have to be high. I have been thinking of

opening a place since the cafe in mountain view changed owners but the

investment needed would be huge.

maybe a restaurant that also serves breakfast would work.

Hanna Kapitulnik

--- Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large

> selection of

> gluten-free eats

>

> >(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?

>

>

>

>

> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other

> areas??? San

> is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of

> an

> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San

> or

> Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling

>

>

>

> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF

> but

> with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy,

> nuts),

> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on

> low carb

> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local:

> sandwiches,

> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you

> include some

> vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well.

> Kid

>

>

>

> So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of

> time, but

> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would

> take to

> do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or

> with

> resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for

> this?

>

>

>

> Pam Newbury

>

>

Hanna Kapitulnik, Pastry Chef/Owner

Kapcakes Gluten Free Bakehouse

Palo Alto, CA 94306

Tel: (650) 494 8232

http://www.kapcakes.com

Guest guest

Too bad those of us who have or have had businesses can't pool our resources. Has anyone ever looked at the structure of a co-op? DanaHanna Kapitulnik <hkapitulnik@...> wrote: Hi PamI have been in the business for 3 years now and also have yet to see aprofit...for some reason it is really hard in the bay area, maybe because it isso expensive and our prices have to be high. I have been thinking ofopening a place since the cafe in mountain view changed

owners but theinvestment needed would be huge.maybe a restaurant that also serves breakfast would work.Hanna Kapitulnik--- Pam Newbury <pknewburyearthlink (DOT) net> wrote:> > > > > > > >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large> selection of> gluten-free eats> > >(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area? > > > > > ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other> areas??? San> is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of> an> enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San> or> Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling>

resources/capital/recipes/skills. > > > > The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF> but> with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy,> nuts),> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on> low carb> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local:> sandwiches,> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you> include some> vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. > Kid> friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).> > > > So what resources do we have in this group? I don’t have lots of> time, but> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would> take to> do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or> with>

resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for> this?> > > > Pam Newbury> > Hanna Kapitulnik, Pastry Chef/OwnerKapcakes Gluten Free BakehousePalo Alto, CA 94306Tel: (650) 494 8232http://www.kapcakes.com

Guest guest

Yeah, what they have at Mariposa is a nice start, but I think a store

that carried a good variety of GF products would be great. I picture

two small stripmall stores combined, grocery store on one side and

cafe/bakery on the other. Freezer cases with all the GF frozen meals

and breads and things, shelves with all the different flours out

there, a huge variety of crackers and cookies, etc, a little ice cream

freezer with a handful of flavors of GF ice cream and some of those

Barkat ice cream cones so we could take the kids out for ice cream

cones again... People would come in to shop for groceries and be

practically unable to resist the draw of the fresh food from the

cafe/bakery side, and people who stopped in for lunch would end up

grabbing a few items from the shelves to take home.

-

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Connie Hampton

<connie@...> wrote:

> Mariposa is stocking crackers and pretzels and pasta.

>

> Connie

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: [mailto: ]

> On Behalf Of

> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:59 PM

>

> Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

>

> How sad to hear that it is so difficult.

> I wonder if it would make sense to combine a GF products retail store

> - something I'd really like to see/do! - with a bakery/cafe. Seems

> like the retail biz might be faster to turn a profit, and they would

> have double the appeal for GF consumers. " Let's stop for sandwiches,

> and stock up on pasta and crackers! " I think this area really needs a

> dedicated GF store. I have toyed with the idea of starting one, but

> the timing isn't right for me right now (I'd want to wait until my

> kids are both in school).

> -

>

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...> wrote:

>> Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for

> several

>> years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been

> gluten

>> free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free

>> Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months

>> now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not

> making

>> a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money

> that

>> has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me

>> doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining.

>>

>> I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did

>> not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and

>> being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit.

>>

>> With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe. I am

>> looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place

>> with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would

>> love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and

> all

>> licenses and permits. I need the resources.

>>

>> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you

> and

>> anyone else interested in this project.

>>

>> Best Wishes,

>> Dana Hoppe

>> Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC

>> 408-887-6141

>>

>> Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:

>>

>>>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of

>>> gluten-free eats

>>>(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?

>> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas???

> San

>> is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an

>> enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to

>> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or

>> Santa Cruz? I'm thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling

>> resources/capital/recipes/skills.

>> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but

>> with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts),

>> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low

> carb

>> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local:

> sandwiches,

>> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include

> some

>> vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid

>> friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).

>> So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of time,

> but

>> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take

> to

>> do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with

>> resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

>> Pam Newbury

>>

>>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

Perhaps its a good thing there is a downturn in the economy. Maybe in the future Mom and Pop or Co-op gluten-free restaurants will have more of a chance due to less overhead around here in the South Bay. Right now one might still have to wait. But in a year or two it may be another story. Even with a difficult economy people still have to eat--and the awareness of gluten being dangerous is growing. I don't think we've hit the hundredth monkey yet, but I bet it won't be long. When it does, that in combination with the sliding economy could make a big difference. Pretty ironic, eh? Meanwhile starting something simple seems like it might be in order so it can grow naturally. I suggest a place that is half and half.

Half gluten free and half regular, with perhaps two separate kitchen areas. It would be a little awkward, however it might have a broader appeal and thus financial support from the community. I bet Santa Cruz or Mountain View would be better places for this than San , since here people seem so strait laced with these and like kinds of matters. I speak with some experience, having been president of the San Art League for a couple of years in 2001 and 02. Anywhere else and what we did would have received more financial support. I have noticed both Santa Cruz and Mountain View are more open culturally which seems to extend to food choices too.Bea

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:32

PM

Subject: Re: [ ] I

have a (gluten-free) dream.....

Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this

dream for several years and have it documented through emails to friends.

I have been gluten free for eight years. After lots of research, I have

started Gluten Free Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's

Market for 2 months now. There has been lots of interest and support but

I am still not making a profit and have not even started to make a dent in

the chunk of money that has been invested to get started. This is with a

rented kitchen and me doing all the work (no salary). I am not

complaining.

I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did not paint a

pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and being in

business for four years, they are still not making a profit.

With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe.

I am looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place

with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I

would love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business

and all licenses and permits. I need the resources.

If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you

and anyone else interested in this project.

Best Wishes,

Dana Hoppe

Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC

408-887-6141

Pam Newbury

<pknewbury@earthlink .net> wrote:

>I'm used to having a

few small local cafes that offer a large selection of gluten-free eats

>(or are entirely

gluten-free) . Are there any in the San area?

……..So how can we get

something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise

somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or

foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz ?

I’m

thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/ recipes/skills.

The vision: a café that serves

breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but with some items free of other

allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some foods being low carb for

those with type II diabetes or on low carb diets for other reasons. Food

would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza,

salads, breads, rolls. If you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you

could attract that market as well. Kid friendly, casual, a nice place to

hang out (and have meetings?).

So what resources do we have in

this group? I don’t have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes,

and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to do this?

Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with resources or

skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

Dana,

Have you consider moving your stall to the San Mateo or the Farmers' Market? These farmers markets seem to be always crowded and quite large by comparison to others. I think you might have a bigger GF market if you move out of Saratoga.

I personally haven't been able to get out to Saratoga market to see you so maybe this is the case with others? My .02 cents, for what it's worth.

- hcl

----- Original Message ----From: Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...> Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:31:33 PMSubject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining.

I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit.

With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe. I am looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all licenses and permits. I need the resources.

If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and anyone else interested in this project.

Best Wishes,

Dana Hoppe

Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC

408-887-6141Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:

>(or are entirely gluten-free) . Are there any in the San area?

……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa Cruz? I’m thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling resources/capital/ recipes/skills.

Pam Newbury

Guest guest

Or Mountain View.

--- Lowles <heather.lowles@...>

wrote:

> Dana,

> Have you consider moving your stall to the San Mateo

> or the Farmers' Market? These farmers

> markets seem to be always crowded and quite large by

> comparison to others. I think you might have a

> bigger GF market if you move out of Saratoga.

> I personally haven't been able to get out to

> Saratoga market to see you so maybe this is the case

> with others? My .02 cents, for what it's worth.

> - hcl

>

>

> ----- Original Message ----

> From: Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...>

>

> Sent: Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:31:33 PM

> Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free)

> dream.....

>

>

> Pam,  Thank you for asking this question.  I have

> had this dream for several years and have it

> documented through emails to friends.  I have been

> gluten free for eight years.  After lots of

> research, I have started Gluten Free Gourmet.  I

> have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market

> for 2 months now.  There has been lots of interest

> and support but I am still not making a profit and

> have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of

> money that has been invested to get started.  This

> is with a rented kitchen and me doing all the work

> (no salary).  I am not complaining.

>  

> I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in

> Oakland yesterday.  She did not paint a pretty

> picture.  After hundreds of thousands of dollars and

> being in business for four years, they are still not

> making a profit. 

>  

> With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to

> start a cafe.  I am looking at commercial real

> estate all the time and have yet to see a place with

> an existing kitchen.  That would save some money. 

> That said, I would love to be a part of this

> project.  I have the recipes, the business and all

> licenses and permits.  I need the resources.

>  

> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would

> love to meet with you and anyone else interested in

> this project.

>  

> Best Wishes,

> Dana Hoppe

> 408-887-6141

>

> >I'm used to having a few small local cafes that

> offer a large selection of gluten-free eats

> >(or are entirely gluten-free) .  Are there any in

> the San area? 

> ……..So how can we get something like this in San

> or other areas???  San is a big enough

> area it should be able to support that kind of an

> enterprise somewhere in the area.  I wonder what we

> celiacs can do to encourage or foster a Café

> Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or Santa

> Cruz?   I’m thinking of recruiting local

> talent/pooling resources/capital/ recipes/skills. 

> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and

> dinner.  All GF but with some items free of other

> allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts), and some

> foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes

> or on low carb diets for other reasons.  Food would

> be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches, mac and

> cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls.  If

> you include some vegan/vegetarian offerings you

> could attract that market as well.  Kid friendly,

> casual, a nice place to hang out (and have

> meetings?).

> So what resources do we have in this group?  I don’t

> have lots of time, but I do have ideas, recipes, and

> capital.   Any ideas of what it would take to do

> this?  Anyone out there with an interest in making

> this happen or with resources or skills to

> contribute?  Is there a big enough market for this?

> Pam Newbury

>

Guest guest

Deby's, a gluten-free cafe in Denver, Co. was looking into franchising

the last time I spoke to the owner. She does baking mixes as well as

baked goods and a full cafe menu w/ breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu.

Might not hurt to contact someone like that...

-

>

> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other

areas??? San

> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San

or

>

Guest guest

I send a note to every restaurant I eat in to thank them for accommodating my dietary needs (even if they really weren't great about it) and to give a little reminder of the issues involved in cooking for people with celiac; I also remind them that 1 of 132 people have celiac disease and even more have gluten intolerance. Maybe then the next time someone with the disease walks through their door, they'll be better prepared to serve them.

Tristan

In a message dated 6/4/08 12:06:09 PM, sspitzer5@... writes:

I have that dream too! I travel a lot for work and have gone to

excellent restaurants with gluten free options in Chicago (Da

Luciano's - amazing pasta dishes), Phoenix (Picazzo's - fabulous pizza

and salads), NY (Risotteria) and salads), NY (Risotteria)<wbr>, and Den

area can support places like these.

I think the restaurants that have both "regular" food and gluten free

options do the best. Every time I've been in Picazzo's or Da Luciano's,

they are packed. Deby's and Risotteria were both sort of ghost towns. I

loved eating there, but the non-gf people may not.

Picazzo's has 4 locations around Phoenix and you can get gf pizza at

all of them. They also franchise. I keep hoping one will open somewhere

in the bay area.

In any case, I'd be interested in discussing business ideas. I've been

thinking along those lines too.

Guest guest

Great idea, the thank-you notes! I wish I'd thought of that long ago.

H.

In a message dated 6/4/08 12:14:53 PM, TrVerb@... writes:

I send a note to every restaurant I eat in to thank them for accommodating my dietary needs (even if they really weren't great about it) and to give a little reminder of the issues involved in cooking for people with celiac; I also remind them that 1 of 132 people have celiac disease and even more have gluten intolerance. Maybe then the next time someone with the disease walks through their door, they'll be better prepared to serve them.

Tristan

Guest guest

What about somethign like Molinari in San Francisco - or the Italian Deli (don't remember it's name). So, stock a lot more than GF stuff - do a full deli but have a rich and dedicated GF menu. Have a kitchen that has a separate area and oven to deal with gf and other allergies.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Crystal BrownSent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 4:07 PM Subject: Re: [ ] I have a (gluten-free) dream.....

I think this is a wonderful idea. I have been currently mentioning a similar idea to the business owners in Benicia, CA. So far, the consensus has been to create something that is both store and cafe. I am a graphic designer and an idea person. I would love to get on board with this. I definitely think the store should specialize in the GOOD GF food and cut out the companies that offer nasty tasting products. Sorry to be harsh, but it's been too many times that someone assumes gluten free will taste good, just because it says gluten free on the box. While I agree that an ALL gluten free store would be nice, I do think that if that's the case we'd have to have one heck of a cafe. Our food prices would have to be comparable to all those that don't eat gluten free. The good thing is, if we start this now, we are hitting a time where food prices are high in general. So, we may be able to go ahead and charge the typical GF food prices. Please contact me at cizella@...Thanks!Crystal

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM, <beznadan@...> wrote:

How sad to hear that it is so difficult.I wonder if it would make sense to combine a GF products retail store- something I'd really like to see/do! - with a bakery/cafe. Seemslike the retail biz might be faster to turn a profit, and they wouldhave double the appeal for GF consumers. "Let's stop for sandwiches,and stock up on pasta and crackers!" I think this area really needs adedicated GF store. I have toyed with the idea of starting one, butthe timing isn't right for me right now (I'd want to wait until mykids are both in school).-

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Dana Hoppe <danahoppe@...> wrote:> Pam, Thank you for asking this question. I have had this dream for several> years and have it documented through emails to friends. I have been gluten> free for eight years. After lots of research, I have started Gluten Free> Gourmet. I have been selling at the Saratoga Farmer's Market for 2 months> now. There has been lots of interest and support but I am still not making> a profit and have not even started to make a dent in the chunk of money that> has been invested to get started. This is with a rented kitchen and me> doing all the work (no salary). I am not complaining.>> I also talked to the owner of Mariposa Cafe in Oakland yesterday. She did> not paint a pretty picture. After hundreds of thousands of dollars and> being in business for four years, they are still not making a profit.>> With rents in this area, it takes lots of money to start a cafe. I am> looking at commercial real estate all the time and have yet to see a place> with an existing kitchen. That would save some money. That said, I would> love to be a part of this project. I have the recipes, the business and all> licenses and permits. I need the resources.>> If you want to seriously talk about this, I would love to meet with you and> anyone else interested in this project.>> Best Wishes,> Dana Hoppe> Gluten Free Gourmet, LLC> 408-887-6141>> Pam Newbury <pknewbury@...> wrote:>>>I'm used to having a few small local cafes that offer a large selection of>> gluten-free eats>>(or are entirely gluten-free). Are there any in the San area?> ……..So how can we get something like this in San or other areas??? San> is a big enough area it should be able to support that kind of an> enterprise somewhere in the area. I wonder what we celiacs can do to> encourage or foster a Café Mariposa-like all GF restaurant in San or> Santa Cruz? I'm thinking of recruiting local talent/pooling> resources/capital/recipes/skills.> The vision: a café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All GF but> with some items free of other allergens as well (soy, corn, dairy, nuts),> and some foods being low carb for those with type II diabetes or on low carb> diets for other reasons. Food would be simple, healthy, local: sandwiches,> mac and cheese, lasagne, pizza, salads, breads, rolls. If you include some> vegan/vegetarian offerings you could attract that market as well. Kid> friendly, casual, a nice place to hang out (and have meetings?).> So what resources do we have in this group? I don't have lots of time, but> I do have ideas, recipes, and capital. Any ideas of what it would take to> do this? Anyone out there with an interest in making this happen or with> resources or skills to contribute? Is there a big enough market for this?> Pam Newbury>>

Guest guest

I have that dream too! I travel a lot for work and have gone to

excellent restaurants with gluten free options in Chicago (Da

Luciano's - amazing pasta dishes), Phoenix (Picazzo's - fabulous pizza

and salads), NY (Risotteria), and Denver (Deby's). I'm certain the bay

area can support places like these.

I think the restaurants that have both " regular " food and gluten free

options do the best. Every time I've been in Picazzo's or Da Luciano's,

they are packed. Deby's and Risotteria were both sort of ghost towns. I

loved eating there, but the non-gf people may not.

Picazzo's has 4 locations around Phoenix and you can get gf pizza at

all of them. They also franchise. I keep hoping one will open somewhere

in the bay area.

In any case, I'd be interested in discussing business ideas. I've been

thinking along those lines too.