RemedySpot.com

Re: Regarding chance glutening remedies -- probiotics

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi, Thanks for posting the article about the probiotics. I think they have helped me significantly. I just thought they were helping digestion overall, and improving my immune system, but perhaps they are actually helping me deal with gluten exposure. A few years ago, when I was still very sick about a year after being diagnosed Celiac and going gluten free, I went on the expensive probiotic mixture VSL#3. It was worth it. Suddenly I had more energy and I could digest my food. That put me in a good phase for a while. But this winter and into spring I have been sick with one sinus infection after another, going on antibiotics that work initially but then fail to completely rout the infection. Then I had sinus surgery on April 15. Ten days later my nose appeared to be healed but I still felt awful -- so fatigued and experiencing the chills -- no actual fever but I felt like I had the flu. Last Thursday, feeling desperate and

knowing that my good bacteria were diminished from the antibiotics, I went to Elephant Pharmacy in Berkeley because it actually sells VSL#3 (it's mainly available off the Internet). I took the first packet that night and the next morning I felt much better. Not great, but the shivers and fatigue were much less. I've been improving ever since. So the evidence is anecdotal, but I do suspect strongly that these probiotics help. I think that there was a scientific paper given on VSL#3's impact on gluten at the Columbia Univ. conference last year -- I saw the topic listed, but haven't been able to find the paper anywhere. I think Jarrow and other brands can be good for daily maintenance if you're in good health, but, for me, when I'm really sick, I need to shell out for the expensive live bacteria in the packets, which is what VSL#3 is. L²

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.