RemedySpot.com

Re: CD in your med records

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Even having migraines can cause you to be denied insurance by some companies, or so I've read. A newspaper article spoke of someone who was turned down because she has mild hay fever and, once only, was given a prescription for it.

H.

In a message dated 6/10/08 9:36:31 AM, leftcoastmelita@... writes:

I am very curious as to the comment about having CD listed in your med records as being a detriment. How so?

**************Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

Guest guest

Because insurance companies are in the

business of making money for their stockholders, any preexisting condition,

especially those that are not very well known and have expensive potential

sequelae are easy for the uneducated to simply toss on the “no”

pile.

Connie

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Melita

Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:35

AM

Subject: [ ] CD in

your med records

I am very curious as to the comment

about having CD listed in your med records as being a detriment. How so?

Since it is an allergy and if you stick to a GF diet you actually don't have to

take any medication to control the disease. So what would go into the record?

The reason I am curious is that I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease, polymyositis

(PM), which is inflammation of the muscles. And there seems to be a correlation

between AI diseases and celiac. So I was tested as an after thought because I

was dx'd with PM in 2002 and they figured since I also had

Raynauds,

another AI that I probably had celiac.

So the biggest issue when I try and get insurance is that I have an extremely rare

AI disease that requires me to take prednisone daily. The prednisone is

the deal breaker for getting life insurance. Not so much the disease. They

don't even blink when you mention celiac since you don't have to take meds to

control it.

So maybe what they look at is not the celiac but rather the possibility of

having GERD. GERD can lead

to further complications such as Barrett's

Esophagus.

So I am very curious how having celiac listed is troublesome.

Melita

Guest guest

We recently got turned down for insurance due to my daughter's cd. So not all companies view it as an allergy when granting insurance. Really makes me realize how messed up our healthcare system is. I can get insurance through my employer with no questions asked. But can't get it directly. Frustrating!Sent from my iPhoneOn Jun 10, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Melita <leftcoastmelita@...> wrote:

I am very curious as to the comment about having CD listed in your med records as being a detriment. How so?Since it is an allergy and if you stick to a GF diet you actually don't have to take any medication to control the disease. So what would go into the record?The reason I am curious is that I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease, polymyositis (PM), which is inflammation of the muscles. And there seems to be a correlation between AI diseases and celiac. So I was tested as an after thought because I was dx'd with PM in 2002 and they figured since I also had Raynauds, another AI that I probably had

celiac.So the biggest issue when I try and get insurance is that I have an extremely rare  AI  disease that requires me to take prednisone daily. The prednisone is the deal breaker for getting life insurance. Not so much the disease. They don't even blink when you mention celiac since you don't have to take meds to control it.So maybe what they look at is not the celiac but rather the possibility of having GERD. GERD can lead to further complications such as Barrett's Esophagus.So I am very curious how having celiac listed is troublesome.Melita

Guest guest

When my husband and I got life insurance

about 4 years ago, this did come up. I mentioned that I had CD (I thought

I did at the time). The interviewer asked if I had actually had a ‘formal’

diagnosis from a biopsy ? And since I had not….he said he would list it

only as a wheat ‘allergy’. Since CD has a higher ‘mortality’

risk it does impact insurance.

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Melita

Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:35

AM

Subject: [ ] CD in

your med records

I am very curious as to the comment

about having CD listed in your med records as being a detriment. How so?

Since it is an allergy and if you stick to a GF diet you actually don't have to

take any medication to control the disease. So what would go into the record?

The reason I am curious is that I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease, polymyositis

(PM), which is inflammation of the muscles. And there seems to be a correlation

between AI diseases and celiac. So I was tested as an after thought because I

was dx'd with PM in 2002 and they figured since I also had

Raynauds,

another AI that I probably had celiac.

So the biggest issue when I try and get insurance is that I have an extremely rare

AI disease that requires me to take prednisone daily. The prednisone is

the deal breaker for getting life insurance. Not so much the disease. They

don't even blink when you mention celiac since you don't have to take meds to

control it.

So maybe what they look at is not the celiac but rather the possibility of

having GERD. GERD can lead

to further complications such as Barrett's

Esophagus.

So I am very curious how having celiac listed is troublesome.

Melita

Guest guest

About 2 years ago I switched to an individual health plan. I thought sure that California Blue Shield would deny me due to celiac. Much to my surprise, I was accepted with no problem. My husband, who uses a CPAP breathing machine due to sleep apnea, had to go through a lot of hoops to get covered. It is a crazy, crazy, system.

-

I am very curious as to the comment about having CD listed in your med records as being a detriment. How so?Since it is an allergy and if you stick to a GF diet you actually don't have to take any medication to control the disease. So what would go into the record?The reason I am curious is that I suffer from a rare autoimmune disease, polymyositis (PM), which is inflammation of the muscles. And there seems to be a correlation between AI diseases and celiac. So I was tested as an after thought because I was dx'd with PM in 2002 and they figured since I also had Raynauds, another AI that I probably had

celiac.So the biggest issue when I try and get insurance is that I have an extremely rare AI disease that requires me to take prednisone daily. The prednisone is the deal breaker for getting life insurance. Not so much the disease. They don't even blink when you mention celiac since you don't have to take meds to control it.So maybe what they look at is not the celiac but rather the possibility of having GERD. GERD can lead to further complications such as Barrett's Esophagus.So I am very curious how having celiac listed is troublesome.Melita