First, are there any gluten AND dairy free

vegetarians here? Could you list some of your dinner menus as examples? I

need to reduce the amount of protein in my diet (gout) and am having a hard

time thinking of menus. I will continue to eat some meat, but could really use

some creative menu suggestions.

Connie

Guest guest

Dear Connie,

Yes, I am GF/DF, and while not strictly vegetarian, often eat meals that way and am increasingly headed that direction. I eat a lot of salads - lots of fresh veggies of different varieties, tofu or beans (I seem to remember that may be a problem with gout but I'm not sure), a light dressing, and fruit for dessert. Sometimes I have breakfast for a lunch or dinner - a couple of scrambled or poached eggs, if you're allowed, and fruit. There are some rice noodles which are gluten free, and I like to make a soup of those (some mixes even - I think Thai) and add extra veggies and tofu. You could possibly add an egg there too.

I was in San Francisco this week, in Japantown, and was reading cookbooks in Kinokunkiya bookstore. If you like Japanese food, there are some cookbooks of Buddhist temple food, all vegetarian, which is almost all GF/DF. You can also find some of these recipes online - search for vegetarian Japanese food. I'm going to start cooking some of the new recipes I've discovered in the weeks ahead. One, which is already a favorite of mine, is spinach with sesame seed sauce - simple, but very delicious (spinach goma ae).

Good luck -

Best wishes,

**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)