RemedySpot.com

Re: [SPAM]Re: GF Labeling by FDA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Food labeled as meeting Codex for being GF in Europe means that it is fewer than 20 ppm. If I recall correctly. I think Canada has that system too.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me about allergies to food coloring, or if there is someone named on this list, but in this case I am sure it was gluten. The green foods had barley grass in it. The nutritionist I went to assured me it was GF. Then I emailed the company and they gave me the info. I thought fewer than 20 ppm sounded so low that I would give it a shot. Now I know better. :o(

Trudy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:16 PM

Subject: [sPAM]Re: [ ] GF Labeling by FDA

I don't know about Europe except that they eat a lot less processed foods... I'm just more worried about what's happening here.

, maybe you are allergic to food colorings. I've determined that I am, but then again my source that FDA certified food colorings are GF was Clan and they usually just contact the company or in this case the organization for that info. I do think I have a couple allergies though in addition to gluten and I haven't quite nailed them down. Maybe rice glutens in some ways. I just seem to get really nauseous, if say I've had an empty stomach and I eat some rice or have rice milk by itself and then go to sleep. However, I eat rice served with a meal quite often. Ugh.

Naren

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM, <uumarinmom@...> wrote:

I think that is why I was not alarmed. I had heard about this some time ago on the Silly Yaks group. Plus, isn't that how it is in Europe?

I'm just depressed about it - I now know that I react at trace amounts. I had some green food powder (Green Magna) not too long ago that was tested by the manufacturer. They said it was gluten-free according to their testing. When I questioned them, they said they couldn't test for lower than 20 ppm, and that it came up at zero (or at least less than 20 ppm). So I had a reaction after taking it for a few days. UGH!

Trudy

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Melita <leftcoastmelita@...>

I found the proposed regulation on the FDA site

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/glutqa.html#q22

The bad part is that this was proposed in 2005 with comments submitted by 2007

But according to the website the regulation has not passed.

Scary!!!

Melita

Guest guest

Sorry Trudy, I was referring to you and your gluten experience. Gluten Free Living is basically saying that we do not exist, or if we do they are going ignore us because we are so few. The chief editor had written that article, so it seems the perspective of the magazine that celiacs do not have a problem with such foods (<20ppm). Foods with such low amounts are lumped with foods previously thought to have an effect on celiacs like certain distilled products, and I don't remember what else was referred to. But isn't cross-contamination a common problem celiacs experience? Or at least a problem a fair amount of us experience? So cross-contamination according to these celiac organzitions (sorry I don't have the article to reference for these names) is assumed to be greater than 20ppm? I've seen plenty of texts refer to the contamination though- more often as resulting from gluten remaining on a wrought iron pan or a grill- not someone accidently dumping a spoonful of flour in your meal. So here is another kicker- to cover their behinds they say that judging whether or not a food contains an allergen by people's reactions is not a good idea (so I did read this quickly but it seems they are not necessarily pretending we don't exist, but think oh well, we must have some other probs). Great.

Thanks Connie and Mark for the info on rice. I wouldn't expect something so severe from the bacteria not being happy, but I guess it might be possible. And the rice milk I've bought is Trader Joe's " gluten free " . So at this point I'm just going to keep eating it with meals and that's it. I don't think I'm diabetic because I've never tested positive for that but I do have some labwork to be done in the next week or so....

NarenOn Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Trudy <uumarinmom@...> wrote:

Food labeled as meeting Codex for being GF in Europe means that it is fewer than 20 ppm. If I recall correctly. I think Canada has that system too.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me about allergies to food coloring, or if there is someone named on this list, but in this case I am sure it was gluten. The green foods had barley grass in it. The nutritionist I went to assured me it was GF. Then I emailed the company and they gave me the info. I thought fewer than 20 ppm sounded so low that I would give it a shot. Now I know better. :o(

Trudy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:16 PM

Subject: [sPAM]Re: [ ] GF Labeling by FDA

I don't know about Europe except that they eat a lot less processed foods... I'm just more worried about what's happening here.

, maybe you are allergic to food colorings. I've determined that I am, but then again my source that FDA certified food colorings are GF was Clan and they usually just contact the company or in this case the organization for that info. I do think I have a couple allergies though in addition to gluten and I haven't quite nailed them down. Maybe rice glutens in some ways. I just seem to get really nauseous, if say I've had an empty stomach and I eat some rice or have rice milk by itself and then go to sleep. However, I eat rice served with a meal quite often. Ugh.

Naren

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM, <uumarinmom@...> wrote:

I think that is why I was not alarmed. I had heard about this some time ago on the Silly Yaks group. Plus, isn't that how it is in Europe?

I'm just depressed about it - I now know that I react at trace amounts. I had some green food powder (Green Magna) not too long ago that was tested by the manufacturer. They said it was gluten-free according to their testing. When I questioned them, they said they couldn't test for lower than 20 ppm, and that it came up at zero (or at least less than 20 ppm). So I had a reaction after taking it for a few days. UGH!

Trudy

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Melita <leftcoastmelita@...>

I found the proposed regulation on the FDA site

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/glutqa.html#q22

The bad part is that this was proposed in 2005 with comments submitted by 2007

But according to the website the regulation has not passed.

Scary!!!

Melita

Guest guest

Another point on rice: I always thought it was fine to leave plain, cooked rice unrefrigerated for several hours. Not so. There's a bacteria that grows happily in cooked rice. I'm told you wouldn't see it or smell it or taste it -- but it can make you quite sick.

H.

In a message dated 5/15/08 9:00:25 AM, narenw@... writes:

Thanks Connie and Mark for the info on rice.  I wouldn't expect something so severe from the bacteria not being happy, but I guess it might be possible.   And the rice milk I've bought is Trader Joe's "gluten free".  So at this point I'm just going to keep eating it with meals and that's it.  I don't think I'm diabetic because I've never tested positive for that but I do have some labwork to be done in the next week or so....

**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

Guest guest

Myself, I just don't eat much rice. In my case I also have to avoid carrots and beta carotene put in things like rice milk etc. I find brown rice is better than white rice, but rice in general is not something I can consume on a daily basis. Fortunately there are other things I can eat. I use coconut milk for instance. And eat a variety of other non gluten grains--esp. teff and washed quinoa as well as amaranth etc. etc.I also agree this 20 ppm for gluten is kind of crazy. It takes manufacturers off the hook of having separate facilities for processing gluten free foods. Which is what they need to do. I can understand their desire not to; however that avoids the point that we people who have celiac often seem to be fairly severely affected by trace amounts of gluten.I am speculating here but it may just be possible that here in this country we all are more sensitive than say in Europe since most of us have been exposed to large amounts of gluten for

far longer than many of them over there. This could make us more reactive possibly. This disease is only now starting to be taken seriously in this country--whereas in Europe they realized its import in 1950 and actually took it to heart.BeaNaren Wadhwani <narenw@...> wrote: Sorry Trudy, I was referring to you and your gluten experience. Gluten Free Living is basically saying that we do not exist, or if we do they are going ignore us because we are so few. The chief editor had written that article, so it seems the

perspective of the magazine that celiacs do not have a problem with such foods (<20ppm). Foods with such low amounts are lumped with foods previously thought to have an effect on celiacs like certain distilled products, and I don't remember what else was referred to. But isn't cross-contamination a common problem celiacs experience? Or at least a problem a fair amount of us experience? So cross-contamination according to these celiac organzitions (sorry I don't have the article to reference for these names) is assumed to be greater than 20ppm? I've seen plenty of texts refer to the contamination though- more often as resulting from gluten remaining on a wrought iron pan or a grill- not someone accidently dumping a spoonful of flour in your meal. So here is another kicker- to cover their behinds they say that judging whether or not a food contains an allergen by people's reactions is not a good idea (so I did read this quickly

but it seems they are not necessarily pretending we don't exist, but think oh well, we must have some other probs). Great. Thanks Connie and Mark for the info on rice. I wouldn't expect something so severe from the bacteria not being happy, but I guess it might be possible. And the rice milk I've bought is Trader Joe's "gluten free". So at this point I'm just going to keep eating it with meals and that's it. I don't think I'm diabetic because I've never tested positive for that but I do have some labwork to be done in the next week or so.... NarenOn Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Trudy <uumarinmomcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: Food labeled as meeting Codex for being GF in Europe means that it is fewer than 20 ppm. If I recall correctly. I think Canada has that system too. I'm not sure if you're talking to me about allergies to food coloring, or if there is someone named on this list, but in this case I am sure it was gluten. The green foods had barley grass in it. The nutritionist I went to assured me it was GF. Then I emailed the company and they gave me the info. I thought fewer than 20 ppm sounded so low that I would give it a shot. Now I know better. :o( Trudy ----- Original Message ----- From: Naren Wadhwani Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:16 PM Subject: [sPAM]Re: [ ] GF Labeling by FDA I don't know about Europe except that they eat a lot less processed foods... I'm just more worried about what's happening here. , maybe you are allergic

to food colorings. I've determined that I am, but then again my source that FDA certified food colorings are GF was Clan and they usually just contact the company or in this case the organization for that info. I do think I have a couple allergies though in addition to gluten and I haven't quite nailed them down. Maybe rice glutens in some ways. I just seem to get really nauseous, if say I've had an empty stomach and I eat some rice or have rice milk by itself and then go to sleep. However, I eat rice served with a meal quite often. Ugh. Naren On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:56 PM, <uumarinmomcomcast (DOT) net> wrote: I think that is why I was not alarmed. I had heard about this some time ago on the Silly Yaks group. Plus, isn't that how it is in Europe? I'm just depressed about it - I now know that I react at trace amounts. I had some green food powder (Green Magna) not too long ago that was tested by the manufacturer. They said it was gluten-free according to their testing. When I questioned them, they said they couldn't test for lower than 20 ppm, and that it came up at zero (or at least less than 20 ppm). So I had a reaction after taking it for a few days. UGH! Trudy -------------- Original message -------------- From: Melita

<leftcoastmelitasbcglobal (DOT) net> I found the proposed regulation on the FDA site http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/glutqa.html#q22 The bad part is that this was proposed in 2005 with comments submitted by 2007 But according to the website the regulation has not passed. Scary!!! Melita