RemedySpot.com

Re: FDA labeling final proprosal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Isn't the focus on <20 ppm because the tests don't show results below that; not because someone somewhere decided anything under 20 ppm is safe. So for someone trying to avoid all gluten, I would think the best way to choose safe foods is to check on the manufacturing process. If something is made in a gluten free facility, then I would accept that food as being completely safe. If it is made in a facility that also processes gluten foods, then I would question their ability to keep the gf foods completely gf, even with strict manufacturing processes. Do you choose foods made in shared facilities or avoid them like the plague? I have to admit I don't avoid them -- yet; I am new to the celiac life, so I may end up becoming stricter as time goes by...

The idea that "everything has gluten" is, of course, ludicrous, unless it was meant to be specifically about gf foods made in shared facilities with gluten food? **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

Guest guest

Melita, I believe what you put in bold states clearly the crux of it but is contrary to your statement... they are in fact saying 20ppm is okay to be called gluten free. You wrote, " Bottom line - they had issue with saying that 20ppm was low gluten or gluten free due to how many people actually would have an adverse reaction to that amount. "

They do say that testing below 20 ppm isn't possible but that is not the same as being gluten free, as we are all familiar with the English language- Without Gluten. There are companies such as Kinikinik which produce only gluten free foods. As the population of celiacs increases, so will food manufacturers making wheat free, " gluten free " varieties of products. In the American way of making every variety thinkable, surely we'll see more foods made in the same facililties with wheat and erroneously labeled gluten free.

I think what has to happen here is some major petitioning against this. I was pretty much thinking I'm screwed until some kind of pill comes out because I still get glutened from time to time, but this will probably ruin me. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic here. I hope someone else has the time and energy to spearhead an effective response to this because I really don't unfortunately.

Naren

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM, <TrVerb@...> wrote:

Isn't the focus on <20 ppm because the tests don't show results below that; not because someone somewhere decided anything under 20 ppm is safe. So for someone trying to avoid all gluten, I would think the best way to choose safe foods is to check on the manufacturing process. If something is made in a gluten free facility, then I would accept that food as being completely safe. If it is made in a facility that also processes gluten foods, then I would question their ability to keep the gf foods completely gf, even with strict manufacturing processes. Do you choose foods made in shared facilities or avoid them like the plague? I have to admit I don't avoid them -- yet; I am new to the celiac life, so I may end up becoming stricter as time goes by...

The idea that " everything has gluten " is, of course, ludicrous, unless it was meant to be specifically about gf foods made in shared facilities with gluten food?

**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)