RemedySpot.com

GF Living and FDA labeling

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Naren,

Yeah the email was a little long but now that you pointed it out I read it.

Yeah it bothers me.

Who is this person that wrote this?

What in the heck were they thinking?

I hope that this doesn't happen.

Melita

----- Original Message ----From: Naren Wadhwani <narenw@...> Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:18:41 AMSubject: [ ] Re: GF Living and FDA labeling

Ok, so this bothers no one else? Or my email is too long to read??

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Naren Wadhwani <narenwgmail (DOT) com> wrote:

I believe Gluten Free Living is the title of the magazine I was reading the other day at cafe Mariposa. I was really dismayed at the information put out by the chief editor I believe, and apparently the way FDA labeling laws are going to progress. The article I read said that there are 3 major celiac organizations, 2 of which are pushing for a single "gluten free" label for products adhering to a 20 ppm maximum gluten content. The one other group is supporting a plan to have a "low gluten" or some such label and a much stricter gluten free label. The author repeatedly states that "all foods contain some gluten, even those marketed as gluten free such as gf mixes, etc." So this is the perspective of the magazine, that many celiac have over-reacted to things such as blue cheese and other foods thought to possibly have trace amounts of gluten. I cannot

believe her "all foods contain some gluten" comments. Like there's gluten in a strawberry now?

It's taken me a long time to figure out, but I know that I am sensitive to trace amounts or extremely low amounts of gluten. The 20ppm thing is most upsetting, because then only the gf labeled foods I now use will be options for me (and if some of them change their practices as a result it will cause more problems). What do you guys think? Is it really that confusing, as our celiac organizations assert, to have 2 labels like "gluten free" and "low gluten"?

Naren

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Pam Newbury <pknewbury@earthlink .net> wrote:

When quinoa first became popular many celiacs reacted to it. There was suspicion that cross contamination was happening, but there is always the possibility that, as with oats and canola, some celiacs are sensitive to (or irritated by) quinoa as well as to wheat.

Pam

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of MelitaSent: Monday, May 05, 2008 11:07 AM Subject: [ ] quinoa

Has anyone had a reaction to quinoa?I had some GF pasta made from it and I got sick. It is the only thing I can think of that would have caused it as I had that with sauce.But I also had an Amy's Organic rice crust GF pizza around that time too.Whatever it was, it definitely upset my stomach.