RemedySpot.com

Re: food for SF avon walk?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

For food: fruit, cheese, peanut butter, maybe hard-boiled eggs. The eggs won't last forever, but if not cracked I think they'd be fine for a day or two in a cooler. Use your judgement on this. Lara Bars are the old fall-back but they are awfully sweet and tart. The pistachio flavor is the blandest, I think. I mean that in a good way.

Near Union Square, I can list places I've heard are good for CD, but haven't tried. I'm generally there for lunch, at places not open at night.

o a soup place (American Soup, maybe?) in the Galleria; it may be lunch only, not sure.

o Cafe Tiramasu, in Belden Place

o Colibri, which is Mexican

o Millenium

o Fish and Farm -- I think this is close to Union Sq, but I'm not positive.

o Le Colonial

o the junior version of Slanted Door is in the "Nordstrom Building" (not it's right name). However, it may still be closed for remodelling. I heard it was to open this week -- I don't have any reliable information on its status.

Or, you could take a bus down to the Ferry Building and have a lovely meal, light or not, as you choose, at the Slanted Door there. I've found them to be very aware of CD and very careful. The food is delicious -- it's not cheap, but not outrageous, either.

Best wishes.

H.

**************Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Guest guest

I've not had a problem with Clif Bars (I haven't seen anyone here mention those however, so if someone does have a problem, please share).

I've also enjoyed Enjoy Life snack bars (small, portable, easy to eat while walking)

I'm walking the 3-Day in September, and the staff their recommended having friends at the cheering stations bring me food. Perhaps the Avon walk has the same?

----- Original Message ----From: "flatcat9@..." <flatcat9@...> Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:28:52 PMSubject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?

For food: fruit, cheese, peanut butter, maybe hard-boiled eggs. The eggs won't last forever, but if not cracked I think they'd be fine for a day or two in a cooler. Use your judgement on this. Lara Bars are the old fall-back but they are awfully sweet and tart. The pistachio flavor is the blandest, I think. I mean that in a good way.Near Union Square, I can list places I've heard are good for CD, but haven't tried. I'm generally there for lunch, at places not open at night.o a soup place (American Soup, maybe?) in the Galleria; it may be lunch only, not sure.o Cafe Tiramasu, in Belden Placeo Colibri, which is Mexicano Milleniumo Fish and Farm -- I think this is close to Union Sq, but I'm not positive. o Le Colonialo the junior version of Slanted Door is in the "Nordstrom Building" (not it's right name). However, it may still be

closed for remodelling. I heard it was to open this week -- I don't have any reliable information on its status.Or, you could take a bus down to the Ferry Building and have a lovely meal, light or not, as you choose, at the Slanted Door there. I've found them to be very aware of CD and very careful. The food is delicious -- it's not cheap, but not outrageous, either. Best wishes.H.************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.(http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

Guest guest

Actually Cheeseake Factory has a new Gluten Free menu, I've had good luck there. Just tell them about the allergy and ask to talk to the manager. I like Cheesecake and PF Chang's because they are so aware of the disease and most of their servers are educated on the issues.

Good Luck!!

----- Original Message ----From: jillerscroft <jillerscroft@...> Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 6:39:35 PMSubject: [ ] food for SF avon walk?HI all, My celiac sister and I are walking in the Avon Walk this weekend in SF. We have to bring our own food, as they can't (won't) accomodate our diet. Any ideas on what we can bring?it needs to a) last in a cooler all weekend/or be stable--no access to microwaves eitherb) be satisfying since we are walking a marathonc) we are staying in union square before the event...any restaurants in that area people have eaten at successfully? there's a cheesecake factory, but it sounds risky...Thanks in advance!Jill------------------------------------

Guest guest

Hi,

I think Cliff bars have oats in them, don't they? I think they are okay if the person is able to have oats/ oatmeal, which I was able to do for the first 5 years after my diagnosis. But then it all changed and I had to give that up too. I haven't yet tried the new Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal - too nervous...I bought it and I just stare at it... has anyone else tried it?

There are a lot of GF bars out there - Luna, Larabar, Some of the Organic Food bars, and SoyJoy - which I buy at Longs of all places. :) For the walk you should also try Roxanne's Fine Cuisine in the fridge section of Whole Foods, she has some raw foods that might work with some peanut butter or almond butter to give you energy for the walk. Couldn't you also make up some sandwiches on rice bread? I found a "bread" in Roxannes' food group that was raw and tasted great with Nutella! :)

Good luck!

----- Original Message ----From: Lombardi <tanya_lombardi@...> Sent: Monday, July 7, 2008 8:14:06 AMSubject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?

I've not had a problem with Clif Bars (I haven't seen anyone here mention those however, so if someone does have a problem, please share).

I've also enjoyed Enjoy Life snack bars (small, portable, easy to eat while walking)

I'm walking the 3-Day in September, and the staff their recommended having friends at the cheering stations bring me food. Perhaps the Avon walk has the same?

----- Original Message ----From: "flatcat9@..." <flatcat9@...> Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:28:52 PMSubject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?

For food: fruit, cheese, peanut butter, maybe hard-boiled eggs. The eggs won't last forever, but if not cracked I think they'd be fine for a day or two in a cooler. Use your judgement on this. Lara Bars are the old fall-back but they are awfully sweet and tart. The pistachio flavor is the blandest, I think. I mean that in a good way.Near Union Square, I can list places I've heard are good for CD, but haven't tried. I'm generally there for lunch, at places not open at night.o a soup place (American Soup, maybe?) in the Galleria; it may be lunch only, not sure.o Cafe Tiramasu, in Belden Placeo Colibri, which is Mexicano Milleniumo Fish and Farm -- I think this is close to Union Sq, but I'm not positive. o Le Colonialo the junior version of Slanted Door is in the "Nordstrom Building" (not it's right name). However, it may still be

closed for remodelling. I heard it was to open this week -- I don't have any reliable information on its status.Or, you could take a bus down to the Ferry Building and have a lovely meal, light or not, as you choose, at the Slanted Door there. I've found them to be very aware of CD and very careful. The food is delicious -- it's not cheap, but not outrageous, either. Best wishes.H.************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.(http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

Guest guest

Some cliff bars also have malt in them, so do check ingredients.----- Original Message -----From: < > < >Sent: Mon Jul 07 12:21:30 2008Subject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?Hi,I think Cliff bars have oats in them, don't they? I think they are okay if the person is able to have oats/ oatmeal, which I was able to do for the first 5 years after my diagnosis. But then it all changed and I had to give that up too. I haven't yet tried the new Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal - too nervous...I bought it and I just stare at it... has anyone else tried it?There are a lot of GF bars out there - Luna, Larabar, Some of the Organic Food bars, and SoyJoy - which I buy at Longs of all places. :) For the walk you should also try Roxanne's Fine Cuisine in the fridge section of Whole Foods, she has some raw foods that might work with some peanut butter or almond butter to give you energy for the walk. Couldn't you also make up some sandwiches on rice bread? I found a " bread " in Roxannes' food group that was raw and tasted great with Nutella! :)Good luck!----- Original Message ----From: Lombardi <tanya_lombardi@...> Sent: Monday, July 7, 2008 8:14:06 AMSubject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?I've not had a problem with Clif Bars (I haven't seen anyone here mention those however, so if someone does have a problem, please share).I've also enjoyed Enjoy Life snack bars (small, portable, easy to eat while walking)I'm walking the 3-Day in September, and the staff their recommended having friends at the cheering stations bring me food. Perhaps the Avon walk has the same?----- Original Message ----From: " flatcat9@... " <flatcat9@...> Sent: Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:28:52 PMSubject: Re: [ ] food for SF avon walk?For food: fruit, cheese, peanut butter, maybe hard-boiled eggs. The eggs won't last forever, but if not cracked I think they'd be fine for a day or two in a cooler. Use your judgement on this. Lara Bars are the old fall-back but they are awfully sweet and tart. The pistachio flavor is the blandest, I think. I mean that in a good way.Near Union Square, I can list places I've heard are good for CD, but haven't tried. I'm generally there for lunch, at places not open at night.o a soup place (American Soup, maybe?) in the Galleria; it may be lunch only, not sure.o Cafe Tiramasu, in Belden Placeo Colibri, which is Mexicano Milleniumo Fish and Farm -- I think this is close to Union Sq, but I'm not positive.o Le Colonialo the junior version of Slanted Door is in the " Nordstrom Building " (not it's right name). However, it may still be closed for remodelling. I heard it was to open this week -- I don't have any reliable information on its status.Or, you could take a bus down to the Ferry Building and have a lovely meal, light or not, as you choose, at the Slanted Door there. I've found them to be very aware of CD and very careful. The food is delicious -- it's not cheap, but not outrageous, either.Best wishes.H.************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.(http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

Guest guest

Funny I have the same thing going on with me. I have BRM GF oats and

I am too chicken to try them. I have been looking at fruit crisp and

crumble recipes lately so maybe I will be brave enough to try it on

that. I feel like I need to make sure I can be down a few days if I

react so I don't know when I can do that.

On another subject, I really screwed up last night. I made dinner for

myself in a teflon skillet and then without thinking fried up some

potstickers in it for my housemates. My question is do you think I

can clean it enough to still use it or should I get a new pan? It is

only 1 1/2 years old and not scratched up so I am hoping I will be ok.

Maia

Guest guest

Thanks . I think you are right about gradually introducing them

into my diet. I have lots of BRM in my pantry so I will give it a try.

Maia