Guest guest

Hi Chuck,

Whew, I saw it, and for a minute there, I thought it was Happy on this

list, but I deleted it. Thanks for being alert, I hope no one has opened

that attachment, and if they did I hope they follow your instructions. I

spent most of yesterday updating my McAfee virus program, and I am planning

to scan daily for viruses, too many are being reported now. Yes, we do

appreciate non-Lyme brainers too! Hey everyone, be sure to save Chuck's

post in case you become infected with worse than Lyme disease.

Hugs,

Marta

>From: chuck schwartz <frg@...>

>

>Just a quick note about something that just came down in the list.

>

> " M T V " <bizimom4@...> your computer is infected with a virus

>called the " Happy99.EXE " virus. You have sent an attachment with your

>mesage which if opened will infect everyone on the list's computer.

>There's ways to fix it. This is the listed procedure from Norton:

>

>Delete ska.exe and ska.dll in the windows\system folder and replace

>wsock32.dll with wsock32.ska in the windows\system folder.

>

>To everyone else DON'T OPEN THIS ATTACHED FILE. JUST DELETE IT.

>

>Chuck Schwartz

>(One of the few non lyme brainers on this list so I'll do my best to pay

>attention)

>

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

i've received this virus warning from my dh, so i

guess it's from a reliable source.

claudia

> >look out !!

> >

> >

> >

> attachment called 'prettypark.exe " ,

> do not openit.. it is another nasty one...

===

http://homepages.infoseek.com/~lovingdolphin1/geninfo.html silly verses

http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/saraavidolphin/index.html go holistic!

http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/saraavidolphin/page1.html channelings about

atlantis and today

icq 8082968 subscribe to NATURAL_PARENT,

/subscribe.cgi/natural_parent

• 3 months later...

Don't know if this is a hoax or not, but didn't want to take any

chances,after the Bubbly Boy thing. Still can't understand why people would

do this!

Vicki

>> > Keep an eye out for this

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > Subject: Virus watch

>> > >

>> > > We have been informed of a new virus - WOBBLER. It will arrive on

>> > > e-mail titled CALIFORNIA. IBM and AOL have announced that it is very

>> > > powerful, more so than , there is no remedy. It will eat all

>> > > your information on the hard drive and also destroys Netscape

>> Navigator

>> > > and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Do not open anything with this

>> title

>> > > and please pass this message on to all your contacts and anyone who

>> > > uses your e-mail facility. Not many people know about this yet so

>> > > propagate it as fast as possible.

>

• 1 year later...

Please be aware of this.

Take care,

Rashelle

>

>>

>>

>>

>>>

>>>

>>> FW: Virus warning

>>>

>>>

>>>FYI

>>>

>>>A virus from (pwu@...) subject titled (Fwd: something to

make

>>>you smile). This is a very dangerous virus and has cost thousands of

>>>dollars in software damage....delete it immediately DO NOT OPEN THE

>>>ATTACHMENT.

>>>

>>>

>>> Dammarell

>>>Sr. Account Manager

>>>StartupAcademy

>>>(425) 458-4241

>>>david@...

>>>

>>>

>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>>This footnote confirms that this E-mail message has been scanned

>>>by a virus protection program for the presence of a computer virus.

>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>> www.startouch.com

>>>

>>>

>>

>

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

Hi guys and gals;

Its turk again i found than SULFNBK.EXE file in my windows/command directory and i deleted i recomend everybody to do the same

Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 11:08 PM

Subject: Virus Warning

Hey All:I got this from my daughter, and checked my computer, and lo and behold Ihad this program on my computer, so it would be wise to check yours,directions for removal are below.GordonPlease follow the directions and remove it from your computer TODAY.DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE> McAfee and Norton cannot detect itbecause it does not become a virus until June 1st.The virus travels through e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command'folder.go to the START buttongo to the "find" or "search"go to "files & folders"make sure the find box is searching the C drivetype in: SULFNBK.EXEbegin searchIf it finds it highlight it and delete it.close the dialog boxopen the recycle binfind the file and delte it from the recycle binyou should be safe.The bad part is: you need to contact all the people you have sent e-mails toin the past few months. Many major companies have found it on theircomputers.PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS._________________________________________________________________Please visit the Zapper homepage athttp://www.ZapLife.org

Guest guest

Gordon:

It's a hoax, but it'sa hoax that can do real harm.

The file in question is real and comes from Microsoft and has something to

do with long file names. You should not delete it. The purpose of the hoax

is to make you delete a perfectly good file. don't.

I'm sending a copy of the hoax details right after this message.

Best.

Bill

Virus Warning

> Hey All:

> I got this from my daughter, and checked my computer, and lo and behold I

> had this program on my computer, so it would be wise to check yours,

> directions for removal are below.

>

> Gordon

>

>

> Please follow the directions and remove it from your computer TODAY.

>

> DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE> McAfee and Norton cannot detect

it

> because it does not become a virus until June 1st.

>

> The virus travels through e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command'

> folder.

>

> go to the START button

> go to the " find " or " search "

> go to " files & folders "

> make sure the find box is searching the C drive

> type in: SULFNBK.EXE

> begin search

>

> If it finds it highlight it and delete it.

> close the dialog box

> open the recycle bin

> find the file and delte it from the recycle bin

> you should be safe.

>

> The bad part is: you need to contact all the people you have sent e-mails

to

> in the past few months. Many major companies have found it on their

> computers.

> PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS.

> _________________________________________________________________

>

>

>

> Please visit the Zapper homepage at

> http://www.ZapLife.org

>

>

Guest guest

Bill dont say a hoax heres a copy of symantec corps antivirus warning about it. go to www.symantec.com and hit security updates and youll see

©1995-2001 Symantec Corporation.All rights reserved.Legal NoticesPrivacy Policy

SULFNBK.EXE Warning

Reported on: April 17, 2001

Last Updated on: May 29, 2001 at 06:22:42 AM PDT

Printer-friendly version

The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil. The original email is in Portuguese; it is followed by an English translation. CAUTIONS:

This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files. The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located in the C:\Windows\Command folder. If the file is located in any other folder, or arrives as an attachment to a email message, then it is possible that the file is infected. In this case, if a scan with the latest virus definitions and with NAV set to scan all files does not detect the file as being infected, quarantine and submit the file to SARC for analysis by following the instructions in the document How to submit a file to SARC using Scan and Deliver. If you have deleted the Sulfnbk.exe file from the C:\Windows\Command folder and want to know how to restore the file, you should contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft for assistance. As an alternative, If you are running Windows 98 or Windows Me, see the document How to extract files in Safe Mode under Windows 98 or Windows Millennium. NOTE: The instructions in this document are provided for your convenience. The extraction of Windows files uses Microsoft programs and commands. Symantec does not provide warranty support for or assistance with Microsoft products.

Original Portuguese version:Vocês acreditam que uma amiga da lista enviou um alerta e os procedimentos que deveriam ser tomados para a possível detecção do maledeto SULFNBK.EXE. e eu fui conferir só por desencargo de consciência. Pois é...O bichinho tava lá, escondidinho até da McAfee e do Norton, talvez esperando algum gatilho prá começar a trabalhar, né?Aí vão, moçada, as orientações que eu segui à risca e que me levaram ao tal coisinha ruím: 1 - Iniciar/Localizar Pastas. Digite o nome do "mardito": SULFNBK.EXE2 - Se for encontrado, abra o Windows Explorer, vá até a pasta onde ele se encontra alojado e delete-o de lá ou do próprio ambiente do Localizar; - Não click com o botão esquerdo sobre ele e não abra o arquivo nem em caso de incêndio, ok?3 - Apenas delete o bichinho.4 - O meu estava em Windows/Command. 5 - O vírus da pessoa que passou o aviso estava em Windows/Config.Sim, o Norton e nem o McAfee não detectou. Não sabemos se ele faz algum estrago na máquina, mas acho que ninguém aqui vai querer testar para saber, né?Gente, sem brincadeiras, já tirei o meu daqui....E nem imaginava que tivesse hóspedes no PC. Minha vacina está super-atualizada!!!Façam o mesmo, ok?Translated English version:Do you believe that a friend of mine sent me an alert and the procedure that we have to follow for the possible infection of SULFNBK.EXE. And I had checked, just to make sure. An then... the file was there, hidden even of McAfee and Norton, maybe waiting something to start work.Well, see bellow the procedure that I followed step by step, and I found the file:1. Start/Find Folders. Type the file name: SULFNBK.EXE2. If it find, open Windows Explorer, browse into the folder where the file is and delete it. Do not click with left button on the file and do not open it.3. Just delete it4. Mine was on Windows/Command5. The virus from the person who gave the alert was on Windows/ConfigYes, Norton and McAfee do not detect it.We do not know if it makes some damage on the machine, but I think that anybody will not want to test it to know, will it?Folks, this is not fun, I deleted it from my computer.And my definitions are updated.Do the same, ok?A new version of this hoax has additional text stating the virus will activate on June 1st:It was brought to my attention yesterday that a virus is in circulation via email. I looked for it and to my surprise I found it on mine. ..Please follow the directions and remove it from yours TODAY!!!!!!!No Virus software can detect it. It will become active on June 1, 2001.It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders onthe hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the'C:\windows\command' folder. The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANYE-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found this virus ontheir computers. Please help your friends !!!!!!!!DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOTDETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST.WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

Category: Hoax Please ignore any messages regarding this hoax and do not pass on messages. Passing on messages about the hoax only serves to further propagate it.

Write-up by:

Tell a Friend about this Write-Up

Security Updates

Symantec AntiVirus Research Center and SWAT

Download Virus Definitions

Keep your protection up to date

Virus Encyclopedia

Search for Information on Viruses, Worms and Trojan Horses

Virus Hoaxes

Information on Virus Hoaxes

Jokes

Information on Jokes

Newsletter

Email Sent from the Symantec AntiVirus Research Center

Virus Calendar

Monthly Calendar Listing Trigger Dates for Viruses

Reference Area

Learn About Virus Detection Technologies

Submit Virus Samples

Send Suspected Threats for Review

Virus Warning> Hey All:> I got this from my daughter, and checked my computer, and lo and behold I> had this program on my computer, so it would be wise to check yours,> directions for removal are below.>> Gordon>>> Please follow the directions and remove it from your computer TODAY.>> DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE> McAfee and Norton cannot detectit> because it does not become a virus until June 1st.>> The virus travels through e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command'> folder.>> go to the START button> go to the "find" or "search"> go to "files & folders"> make sure the find box is searching the C drive> type in: SULFNBK.EXE> begin search>> If it finds it highlight it and delete it.> close the dialog box> open the recycle bin> find the file and delte it from the recycle bin> you should be safe.>> The bad part is: you need to contact all the people you have sent e-mailsto> in the past few months. Many major companies have found it on their> computers.> PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS.> _________________________________________________________________>>>> Please visit the Zapper homepage at> http://www.ZapLife.org>>

Guest guest

Turk:

It is a hoax. Even Symanted says so. ("The following hoax email has been reported in Brazil . . ." and "This particular email message is a hoax.") I did say that it was a harmful one.

Unlike the more common hoaxes that just trick you into believing that some virus is out there waiting to eat your hard disk or worse, this one tries to trick you into actually deleting a perfectly good--and perhaps necessary--file. So while it is definitely dangerous, it is also a hoax. Unlike the virus it claims to be, it is by definition a hoax. We should all be careful of hoaxes, most especially those that tell us to do something.

Bill

Virus Warning> Hey All:> I got this from my daughter, and checked my computer, and lo and behold I> had this program on my computer, so it would be wise to check yours,> directions for removal are below.>> Gordon>>> Please follow the directions and remove it from your computer TODAY.>> DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE> McAfee and Norton cannot detectit> because it does not become a virus until June 1st.>> The virus travels through e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command'> folder.>> go to the START button> go to the "find" or "search"> go to "files & folders"> make sure the find box is searching the C drive> type in: SULFNBK.EXE> begin search>> If it finds it highlight it and delete it.> close the dialog box> open the recycle bin> find the file and delte it from the recycle bin> you should be safe.>> The bad part is: you need to contact all the people you have sent e-mailsto> in the past few months. Many major companies have found it on their> computers.> PLEASE HELP YOUR FRIENDS.> _________________________________________________________________>>>> Please visit the Zapper homepage at> http://www.ZapLife.org>>

Guest guest

Hi guys and gals;

Its turk again i found than SULFNBK.EXE file in my windows/command directory and i deleted i recomend everybody to do the same

DON'T!

sulfnbk.exe is a genuine and essential system file used by Windows to register long file names. If you delete it you may experience some difficulty in accessing some files.

The virus hoax, originating in Brazil, is itself a hoax. What makes it more irritating is the number of users who will innocently remove sulfnbk.exe and think they've saved their system.

More details can be found from f-secure, Symantec and McAfee websites.

It reminds me of the obviously hoax 'Syrian virus' I received a few months ago which ran along the lines of:

This is a virus originating in Syria.

Unfortunately we in Syria have a very primitive knowledge of computing, so this is a manual virus.

Please delete all contents of your hard disk.

Could be worse: a virus could have gotten into our ICDs (then we'd be in big trouble).

• 3 months later...

This may just be in the uk, but if it's gone out over the web it could be anywhere.

virus warning> > Virus Warning> >> >> > Someone is sending out a very cute screensaver of the Budweiser> > frogs.> >> > If you download it, you will lose everything! Your hard drive will> > crash> > and someone from the Internet will get your screen name and> > password!> > DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!> > It just went in to circulation yesterday. Please distribute this> > message.> > This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know> > about it.> > This information was announced yesterday morning from> > Microsoft.> > Please share it with EVERYONE in your address book so that> > this may be> > stopped.> >> > 2ND VIRUS! This one is a real one. DO NOT OPEN "PRETTY> > PARK". It is a> > virus that will erase your whole "C" drive. It will come to you in> > the> > form of an E-Mail from a familiar person. I repeat, a friend sent it> > to> > me, but called & warned me before I opened it. He was not so> > lucky and now> > he can't even start his computer! Forward this to everyone in your> > address> > book. I would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.> > Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was> > discovered> > recently. If you receive an e-mail called "An Internet Flower For> > You", do> > not open it. Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic> > link> > libraries (.dll files) from your computer. Your computer will not be> > able> > to boot up.Dean Blake76, Savoy RoadBrislingtonBristolBS4 3SYTel (0117) 9774461Mobile 07710 406731

• 2 months later...

Hi Again:

Pat Pulasky here; I was told yesterday that this time the virus, in

addition to hitting the address book, also goes to all email still

designated as 'unread'. It then mails out 'replies' to the 'unread'

messages. And, as someone said, it's not our list friends sending these

things out....it's a virus that attacks our email buddies!

We all have to depend on our antivirus programs, but this one hit a lot

of us by surprise, as we usually update our anti-virus programs once a

week. So now it will have to be a daily chore. I posted the warning to

the list in the first place because I enjoy hearing from everyone and I

would have felt terrible if the virus had hit some of my Zap friends

because I neglected to post a warning.

Cheers. PatP

Pat....

> designated as 'unread'. It then mails out 'replies' to the 'unread'

> messages. And, as someone said, it's not our list friends sending

> these

> things out....it's a virus that attacks our email buddies!

All true! Many people on my lists get upset and angry because they

think another list member

is deliberately targeting them (esp. since the virus arrives in private

mail, not list in most cases).

We all have to spread the word that in 99% of the cases, the sender is

totally unaware that their

machine has turned from Good to Evil. They're still our friends.... they

just got a 'cold'. :)

The good news about this particular Badtrans thing is that it doesn't

really harm your computer.

Bad news... it does keep a record of your keystrokes, and sends them off

to one of the e-mail

addys. embedded in it, in a search for your passwords, credit card #s

(if you order on-line),

and such things.

Sue

--

" She was not quite what you would call refined.

She was not quite what you would call unrefined.

She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. "

-- Mark Twain

Rich and Sue Owens

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/7457/index3.html

• 1 month later...

Good rules of thumb;

1) All .exe and .scr files are a virus until proven otherwise

2) Never open *any* attachment that you didn't specifically ask for

3) Virus scan *everything*

Larry

Bob Mark wrote:

>

> Dear All

>

> Copy of virus warning from my hospital for your info:

>

> 'Watch out for computer viruses which could be hidden in e-mails. Be

> vigilant, you'll be getting e-mails with attachments and they could

> potentially be a virus.

>

> A powerful new Windows computer virus is causing havoc with e-mail

> systems

> across the world. The US, the UK and

> France are the worst hit of the 17 countries affected so far. The

> Goner

> virus can even disable anti-virus software in a computer.

>

> The rogue e-mail is simply named 'hi' and arrives with an attachment -

> apparently a

> screensaver - called " Gone.scr " . The message reads: " How are you? When

> I saw this screensaver I immediately thought of you. I'm in a harry

> (sic). I promise you'll love it. "

>

> When the attachment is clicked, the

> malicious software inside it displays a small dialog box, which

> suggests that a legitimate program is at work. However, in the

> background, the virus tries to close programs that are running and

> deletes certain system files.'

>

> Do not to open unexpected e-mail attachments, even if the sender is

> someone familiar.

>

> Best wishes

>

> Bob Mark

>

>

If you go to www.remotemedics.co.uk and look in the resources section, there is

a page I wrote on system safety.

IIRC it is www.remotemedics.co.uk/0068.htm but I could very well be wrong.

Ross

Editor

RemoteMedics Online

>

> From: Larry Torrey <ltorrey@...>

> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:17:28 -0500

>

> Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING

>

> Good rules of thumb;

>

> 1) All .exe and .scr files are a virus until proven otherwise

> 2) Never open *any* attachment that you didn't specifically ask for

> 3) Virus scan *everything*

>

> Larry

>

>

> Bob Mark wrote:

> >

> > Dear All

> >

> > Copy of virus warning from my hospital for your info:

> >

> > 'Watch out for computer viruses which could be hidden in e-mails. Be

> > vigilant, you'll be getting e-mails with attachments and they could

> > potentially be a virus.

> >

> > A powerful new Windows computer virus is causing havoc with e-mail

> > systems

> > across the world. The US, the UK and

> > France are the worst hit of the 17 countries affected so far. The

> > Goner

> > virus can even disable anti-virus software in a computer.

> >

> > The rogue e-mail is simply named 'hi' and arrives with an attachment -

> > apparently a

> > screensaver - called " Gone.scr " . The message reads: " How are you? When

> > I saw this screensaver I immediately thought of you. I'm in a harry

> > (sic). I promise you'll love it. "

> >

> > When the attachment is clicked, the

> > malicious software inside it displays a small dialog box, which

> > suggests that a legitimate program is at work. However, in the

> > background, the virus tries to close programs that are running and

> > deletes certain system files.'

> >

> > Do not to open unexpected e-mail attachments, even if the sender is

> > someone familiar.

> >

> > Best wishes

> >

> > Bob Mark

> >

> >

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Please be careful though when getting new diskettes(CD-Rom) a coworker got one from Circuit city and the hard drive has been wiped out, repair costs versus a new hard drive sound simple (200-300), but she had some precious family photos on hers which have been lost perhaps forever. In England a rash of infected diskettes is being sold by street vendors, the police arrest the people all the time under copyright laws, the diskettes are found to be loaded with virus. Anne

Guest guest

This is a hoax!!! Do NOT delete

this file!!!

This message has been sent around

the internet multiple times in the last few years. It is not real!!!

I know this from experience, because

I believed it once. I deleted the 'sulfnbk.exe' a few months ago,

and it screwed up my computer BIGTIME!!

Guest guest

> Please be careful though when getting new diskettes(CD-Rom) a coworker

got

> one from Circuit city and the hard drive has been wiped out, repair costs

> versus a new hard drive sound simple (200-300), but she had some precious

> family photos on hers which have been lost perhaps forever. In England a

> rash of infected diskettes is being sold by street vendors, the police

arrest

> the people all the time under copyright laws, the diskettes are found to

be

> loaded with virus.

Why would it be necessary to replace a hard drive because a virus erased all

the data on it? Viruses cannot physically damage hard drives, as far as I

know. All that is necessary is to reinstall the operating system (minus

precious family photos though). Viruses can flash CMOS on certain

motherboards, however, and unless you are good with EEPROM programming that

would be a big nuisance and repair/replace cost.

CZ

Guest guest

CZ,

I agree when you say that, "Viruses cannot physically

damage hard drives. . ." and understand your question as to why it would

be "necessary to replace a hard drive because a virus erased all the data

on it." Yes, one can re-install the operating system (minus precious

family photos though) and start all over with the existing hard drive,

assuming the drive really is functional AFTER re-formatting the drive.

However, re-formatting the drive will eliminate just about any chance of

ever recovering the data (including those precious family photos) that

WAS on the drive, IF any of it is still there. The data may still

be on the damaged drive, but invisible to the user if all it does is change

the first character of the file name (just as happens when you DELETE a

file) and just sitting there until something is overwritten on that same

disk space. You would have to know how to access those files and

know the correct first letter of each file. It may be possible, I

just don't know if it is in this case. Hmmm, that raises the question

of whether ONLY the FAT files of the drive were corrupted: That would make

it APPEAR that all the data is gone.

I've had to replace a couple drives because of hardware

crashes, not viruses. I once HEARD a drive's bearings freeze up and

grind to a screeching halt while I was working on that computer.

That's a horrible sound I hope I never hear again.

In the case of the "frozen

bearings" drive, it was my BACKUP drive where I stored ALL my data, an

entire Microsoft MCP course, plus a few applications. What hurt the

most was that it contained all the online correspondence of my courtship

of my present wife, in 1998. We "met" online, fell in love online,

I proposed to her online and we made all of our wedding plans online (We

also spoke on the phone a lot, of course, and I have the phone bills to

prove it!) and I wrote nearly all my love letters to her online.

I had stored ALL of this stuff on my BACKUP drive and, of course, that

was the drive that ground to a halt.

I still have that hard drive because

I am waiting for the day when I can afford to pay a data recovery service

to attempt to recover ANY of the files on it. It isn't cheap, but

some of those guys are really good and can work miracles. Sometimes

they just take the drive platters out of the existing case and install

them into another case and try to make it work that way. Hey, whatever

it takes, right?

Take good care of yourself tomorrow.

Love and Peace,

lyn

Guest guest

Hi ie.

Your hard drive breaking must have been pretty devastating. I lost 20gb of

data at the end of last year but that was due to my own stupidity in not

thinking to remove my old network card before erasing everything on the hdd

in fear that a virus had gotten loose somehow . I had a few viruses on my

hdd, most of which were there because I knew the people who wrote them, but

none had been let loose to my knowledge. Since I have never been married and

I am generally a pretty asocial person who attaches more value to things

than people (and no I am not nasty.. it is just the way I am), I cannot

appreciate what losing data to do with an online relationship would be like.

I was incorrect in saying it is impossible for a virus to damage a hard

drive physically. It is possible but highly unlikely. I know someone who

wrote a program (not virus) that did damage a drive by repeatedly hitting a

sector for a long time. But, that is not something that I have heard of

happening from any virus.

As for file recovery stuff, I have never needed to use any (would have been

impossible to recover any of my data from my erased hdd since I used a

program called mutilate.exe which renders it unrecoverable, I think by

overwriting it all with junk) but I did get asked by somebody from uni to

find them a file recovery program. I gave him a copy of Recover 98 (I think

that was its name) which I found on some warez site and he told me it fixed

his problem. He had accidentally deleted some files that were uni stuff and

was stressing out about having to do it all again before the due date.

I have two Quantum Fireball drives in this machine and I hope nothing goes

wrong with them because my entire " life " has been online for the past two

years or so. I still kick myself about erasing all that stuff last year

since a lot of it was programs and tutorials that it would be difficult if

not impossible for me to obtain again. I will be making backups of important

stuff from now on since my Dad bought me a CD burner.

Regards,

CZ

• 9 months later...

Rick,

I want to thank you for taking care of this. I was one of them that he sent

the virus to and lucky enough my ISP caught it.

Thanks again for warning us and removing him from the list. We also need to

be careful that even though he's been removed, he could retaliate against

those he has the emails to, so we really need to be on the watch for any

emails from him.

Take care,

Dawn

Thank you so much for the warning--you are doing all of us a service by

telling us about any virus. I have gotten so I don't even open attachmetns

from my dad without an explanation. I sent him one back just this week. Of

course it also has to do with the fact that he got my computer twice in the

claendar year '02--just can't resist those attachments. He gets real estate

contracts that way and also gets jokes, which he loves, through attachments.

In spite of my diligent teaching, he still opens before he thinks. I have a

virus scan up and running and he says he's keeping up to date with Norton,

so maybe I won't get a virus and infect the group.

I have goten LOTS of virus warnings this year. I asked a local network

administrator if he was getting them and he said lots are coming in in

batches since the first of the year. I guess folks are bored and have

nothing better to do with thier time than to aggravate the rest of us.

GA

Always wear a smile--it makes

folks wonder what you've been up to. : )

I have a

> virus scan up and running and he says he's keeping up to date with

Norton,

> so maybe I won't get a virus and infect the group.

Thanks ,

Just so you and everyone else knows members can't send a virus

attachment through RISG. That's what it means by " [Non-text portions

of this message have been removed] "

Rick Hahn

rick@...

http://www.risg.org

Thanks for the heads up Rick.

One of my Archbishops has a virus and I receive about 5 infected messages a

day. He also had my dewi@... address in his address book along with my

others, so some messages may appear to be coming from me.

I have registered up to date firewall and anti-virus software so Clare (this

computer) is pretty well locked down. These newer viruses may look like

some of the older ones but they specifically target Some firewalls and

antivirus programs.

What I have done is set my Outlook Express Email program to read in text

only. That way anything tucked away in the headers of the emails, does not

get the chance to open.

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.445 / Virus Database: 250 - Release Date: 21/01/2003

<<how sick is that for someone to do that. i did not open an email from risg

under that title should i still do a virus scan?.....................rand>>

Hi Rand,

In my opinion, YES! Always do a scan when you know a virus has been sent to

you even if you didn't open it up. You just never know.

Good luck,

Dawn