RemedySpot.com

RE: Did you all see that NY Times Sunday mag article: GOOD GRIEF!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I didn't see the article but have heard about it... there does seem to be an increasing awareness about obesity issues, no doubt concurrent with the increasing waistlines of aging boomers.

Re: Adkins, I suspect he's changed his story somewhat since the early days, but it's the nature of headline news to deal in broad strokes. Just as agriculture has showered us with too many simple carbohydrates, even beef has been altered for the worse by grain feeding. It is human nature to desire a simple, easy "all fat is good, or all fat is bad" message. As any student of nutrition knows it's not that simple.

Regarding your comments about the experts getting it wrong, Amen. There is little reason to believe we have it right either, perhaps the best support for the Paleo theories... but as evidenced by things like Lactose tolerance our bodies are evolving to accommodate modern diet albeit very slowly.

JR

-----Original Message-----From: freestonew [mailto:freestonew@...]Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 8:24 AM Subject: [ ] Did you all see that NY Times Sunday mag article: GOOD GRIEF!Hi all!Did anyone here see that Times article that shocked me so?!Every Sunday i try to read the New York Times. i love their magazinethat is part of this Sunday paper. In this issue, July 7th, i saw , on the cover, covering the whole page, a huge steak slathered with a melting pat of butter: the headline says[more or less] "Dr Atkins is right!!"---seems that a group of researchers are finding some very very disquieting news: that it is the low fat 'healthy' diet, that ALL the nutitionalists are now pushing, that is making America have this fat epedemic! even now, the writer says...'he looks at a breakfast scrambled egg and bacon as if he is looking at somthing like a viper [my words]!! but he has to admit that the theories of 'dr Atkins" is right...a carbo diet is not natural to Man!--i cannot, with my AUTISM and my 5wpm typing skills, go into all the technicalness of the "insulin resistance' and all of that!Point, perhaps, of this rant...is that tis amzing how all the experts seem to get it all so so wrong. if this writer is right: ALL the diet advice for the last 30 years is *UTTERLY* wrong!--maybe they WILL, in 20 more years, find Nictotine to be life-supporting, and we all will be urged to smoke ot take nicotine pills! [Woody allen..."the Sleeper"!]I might try to find a net copy of this article and post it here!freestone