RemedySpot.com

Organic

Rate this topic

Guest guest

New USDA rules go into effect Oct 21 controlling what can be caller organic. There will be a green and white label defining 4 organic categories; 100% Organic, "Organic" which means it contains at least 95% organic ingredients, Made with organic ingredients (at least 70%), and "Contains organic ingredients" but the word organic can't appear on front of package.

To be deemed organic vegetables must be grown without using conventional pesticides. Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy must come from animals that are not given hormones or antibiotics, they also can't be fed animal byproducts. Milk cows can't be fed grass that was subjected to pesticides.

(from today's WSJ)

JR

• 5 years later...
Guest guest

I consider it organic if I grow it that way. No matter what it's start.

Gayla Always Enough RanchAcampo, Californiaaeranch@...

organic

I've got a question: if I bought a start and it's not organic, but I plant and grow it organically, how far from organic is it really?

Just have always been curious about concerning organic from "birth".

Thanks, Shari

Guest guest

Now if you have a seed that is from Monsanto... I doubt it could ever turn organic.. SV <shavig@...> wrote: I've got a question: if I bought a start and it's not organic, but I plant and grow it organically, how far from organic is it really? Just have always been curious about concerning organic from "birth". Thanks, Shari Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Guest guest

Thanks Gayla. I was just curious. I've posted on a hard core organic site so I'll let you know what they have to say. Should be interesting.

Shari

Guest guest

Shari, I got to thinking about this on the way home... If you use organic fertilizers in the soil and get the soil organic.. the plants should become organic as they are getting non toxic nutrients. SuziSV <shavig@...> wrote: Thanks Gayla. I was just curious. I've posted on a hard core organic site so I'll let you know what they have to say. Should be interesting. Shari Suzi List Owner health/ http://360./suziesgoats What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.

Guest guest

Understood Suzanne, BUT if you plant that Monsanto seed and raise the plant as organice would the produce be considered organic? I know the seeds won't reproduce but I very rarily get things to go to seed because we eat everything! I would never knowingly buy anything from Monsanto.

Our starts come from Rents Due Ranch in Stanwood, Washington. Organic, family farmed, and also a great supplier of organic produce.

Shari