behavioral mod but they were waiting to see how the med effected him

before starting. i dont know why they have to wait. this is feeling

like a crises to me. >>

Marie:

I KNOW what you mean, believe me! We've been doing this med crapola for over

a year now, and are back to square one!! I really thought med's were the

answer to everything, and although they work on some kids, not everything is

fixed with med's alone.....I feel as though we cannot start therapy unless

gives us at least 50% concentration, which he can't the way he is now!

Teacher sent home another note yesterday saying is totally unfocused and

requires redirection for everything.....no s@@@!!!! For once, I would love

to see start an activity and stick to it for 10 minutes! His attention

span is about 30-60 seconds, if that!

I feel relief also when DH takes to the grocery store or mall, just to

let me catch my breath....not looking forward to this weekend though.......DH

is off again on a business trip....won't be home until NEXT Saturday!!!!

Hang in there.....will let you know how the doc visit goes tomorrow.....

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Nina,

Yes I have an appointment on August 8, with Dr. Dobson, thanks for the encouragement, I don't know why I don't have any restriction, but I know a few others on here didn't either, however, like I said I won't get on the scale for one if it says I haven't lost anymore I could get very depressed, and I don't want that happening. I can't wait, I know my pants are baggy so I have lost something, just not sure how much. I will give ya'll an update when I get my first fill, thanks nina.

Tracie B. in Texas

06/24/05 Hang in there!

, Hang in there! The 6th week will come very soon and you will be able to have your fill. Have you already made an appointment? NIna

• 3 years later...

This is a message to all of you who are trapped in the public school

system that is clueless to your situation with your Asperger son/daughter.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your child is to know all

about the IEP process and what your rights are. My son is soon to be

18 and in his last year in public school. He was diagnosed at age 13

due to teachers not informing me that I had the right for a school

psychologist to test him.

Nolo Press puts out a book called Nolo's IEP Guide: Learning

Disabilities where it takes you step by step through an IEP process.

It is a great resource. Also, there may be non-profit organizations

such as Parents Helping Parents (San , CA) PHP.com, that are a

tremendous help for all children with disabilties.

Before an IEP meeting I would request a copy of the blank paper work

that will be used in the meeting. Have them explain what each section

is about so you will be familiar with what is being written down about

your child. These meetings go really fast because the teachers and

admin people only have so much alloted time. At the meetings hire a

psychologist (the one who sees your child) to advocate for you and

your child. At the end of the meeting you do not have to sign the

paperwork if it is not to your liking. You can even present a rebutal

at another meeting. You can sign that you were there.

Once the IEP is signed it is a legal federal contract. If the school

doesn't comply you can sue them and you should. These people who

think that they know all about Special Ed and really don't when it

comes to ASD's.

In California, if your child is disruptive at school you can ask for a

26.5 which asks for the county mental health to come in and give

mental health services for you, your family and the child. It also

guards your child from being expelled due to their behavior. It also

paves the way legally to have your child placed in a private setting

of your and mental health and schools choosing. The county will pick

something out but you do not have to accept it. We sued the school

district and we got a settlement. Don't be afraid to do this because

this is the sure way of getting the school district to sit up and take

notice. Your child deserves an appropriate education. But to do so,

it takes coordination with school teachers who are mainstream teachers

understanding your child. It also take a speech/language teacher

(speech pathologist) working on pragmatics. The school should be

providing this. A good website for speech is Winner's

website www.socialthinking.com. She has worked exclusively with

Asperger children and has a great way of helping them. In the Silicon

Valley, ASD's are 1:87. And yet the schools are way behind in helping

these kids.

We as parents need to bond collectively together to push what is

needed for Asperger children.

I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading this. If

you have any questions, please contact me.

Ann Pianetta

Palo Alto, CA

Wow...Ann....what a great informative post...I will be saving it. My son is 13 and in 7th grade. He was dx last year but before that they thought he had ADHD which I still think he has....

But your post gives me hope and gives me lots of information. Thank you so much!!!!!

Jan

Jan Rushen

Smile because it is contagious!!!!

From: annpianetta <annpianetta@...>Subject: ( ) Hang in There! Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008, 8:59 PM

This is a message to all of you who are trapped in the public schoolsystem that is clueless to your situation with your Asperger son/daughter.The best thing you can do for yourself and your child is to know allabout the IEP process and what your rights are. My son is soon to be18 and in his last year in public school. He was diagnosed at age 13due to teachers not informing me that I had the right for a schoolpsychologist to test him.Nolo Press puts out a book called Nolo's IEP Guide: LearningDisabilities where it takes you step by step through an IEP process.It is a great resource. Also, there may be non-profit organizationssuch as Parents Helping Parents (San , CA) PHP.com, that are atremendous help for all children with disabilties.Before an IEP meeting I would request a copy of the blank paper workthat will be used in the meeting. Have them explain what each sectionis about

so you will be familiar with what is being written down aboutyour child. These meetings go really fast because the teachers andadmin people only have so much alloted time. At the meetings hire apsychologist (the one who sees your child) to advocate for you andyour child. At the end of the meeting you do not have to sign thepaperwork if it is not to your liking. You can even present a rebutalat another meeting. You can sign that you were there. Once the IEP is signed it is a legal federal contract. If the schooldoesn't comply you can sue them and you should. These people whothink that they know all about Special Ed and really don't when itcomes to ASD's.In California, if your child is disruptive at school you can ask for a26.5 which asks for the county mental health to come in and givemental health services for you, your family and the child. It alsoguards your child from being expelled due

to their behavior. It alsopaves the way legally to have your child placed in a private settingof your and mental health and schools choosing. The county will picksomething out but you do not have to accept it. We sued the schooldistrict and we got a settlement. Don't be afraid to do this becausethis is the sure way of getting the school district to sit up and takenotice. Your child deserves an appropriate education. But to do so,it takes coordination with school teachers who are mainstream teachersunderstanding your child. It also take a speech/language teacher(speech pathologist) working on pragmatics. The school should beproviding this. A good website for speech is Winner'swebsite www.socialthinking. com. She has worked exclusively withAsperger children and has a great way of helping them. In the SiliconValley, ASD's are 1:87. And yet the schools are way behind in helpingthese

kids.We as parents need to bond collectively together to push what isneeded for Asperger children.I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading this. Ifyou have any questions, please contact me.Ann PianettaPalo Alto, CA

Hi Ann,

I would love to chat with you on or off list about what adult services you are looking at. My son is in high school now and I am curious about college, independent living, etc. info that you may know of in California. We too have a settlement agreement with the school and are wondering how to navigate the adult world and what supports might be available. We are in San Obispo, California.

Email on or off list dlbalke@...

Debbie Balke

( ) Hang in There!

This is a message to all of you who are trapped in the public schoolsystem that is clueless to your situation with your Asperger son/daughter.The best thing you can do for yourself and your child is to know allabout the IEP process and what your rights are. My son is soon to be18 and in his last year in public school. He was diagnosed at age 13due to teachers not informing me that I had the right for a schoolpsychologist to test him.Nolo Press puts out a book called Nolo's IEP Guide: LearningDisabilities where it takes you step by step through an IEP process.It is a great resource. Also, there may be non-profit organizationssuch as Parents Helping Parents (San , CA) PHP.com, that are atremendous help for all children with disabilties.Before an IEP meeting I would request a copy of the blank paper workthat will be used in the meeting. Have them explain what each sectionis about so you will be familiar with what is being written down aboutyour child. These meetings go really fast because the teachers andadmin people only have so much alloted time. At the meetings hire apsychologist (the one who sees your child) to advocate for you andyour child. At the end of the meeting you do not have to sign thepaperwork if it is not to your liking. You can even present a rebutalat another meeting. You can sign that you were there. Once the IEP is signed it is a legal federal contract. If the schooldoesn't comply you can sue them and you should. These people whothink that they know all about Special Ed and really don't when itcomes to ASD's.In California, if your child is disruptive at school you can ask for a26.5 which asks for the county mental health to come in and givemental health services for you, your family and the child. It alsoguards your child from being expelled due to their behavior. It alsopaves the way legally to have your child placed in a private settingof your and mental health and schools choosing. The county will picksomething out but you do not have to accept it. We sued the schooldistrict and we got a settlement. Don't be afraid to do this becausethis is the sure way of getting the school district to sit up and takenotice. Your child deserves an appropriate education. But to do so,it takes coordination with school teachers who are mainstream teachersunderstanding your child. It also take a speech/language teacher(speech pathologist) working on pragmatics. The school should beproviding this. A good website for speech is Winner'swebsite www.socialthinking.com. She has worked exclusively withAsperger children and has a great way of helping them. In the SiliconValley, ASD's are 1:87. And yet the schools are way behind in helpingthese kids.We as parents need to bond collectively together to push what isneeded for Asperger children.I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading this. Ifyou have any questions, please contact me.Ann PianettaPalo Alto, CA

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.8.0/1726 - Release Date: 10/15/2008 7:29 AM