RemedySpot.com

Re: Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh my...you do have your hands full....yes...i forgot that it is that time of year...just not into it with everything going on and losing Poppy last May. But, maybe that is another reason for his acting out...but I almost feel like giving him nothing.

Every year it was hard ...he would bug and bug and bug me...sometimes i would give in and give it to him ahead of time and then wrap it up at Xmas time. Just the other day he asked for money to buy a CD...I said no...Xmas is around the corner...they can not wait...have to have it now...one think I did learn was to hide all the gifts...and to not put one out to Xmas morning...but now when packages arrive via UPS and if I am not home...he opens them ...ugh! Just try to do the best you can. One year I hid everything at my office...when he was little Poppy and I would wrap everything ahead of time and then put it in a big box and hide it out in the shed....

Maybe you could wrap little gifts for each day in December...like pen or pencils, gum, candy....anything that doesn't cost a lot and he could open something each day...ha ha!

Jan

Janice Rushen

"I will try to be open to all avenues of wisdom and hope"

From: pjrd67@... <pjrd67@...>Subject: ( ) Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays? Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 6:49 PM

Hi. I'm new here and not very experienced with this so I apologize if this has been asked before. My son is 17 yrs. old and every year about this time he always gets worse. He's more frustrated because he doesn't know what he got for Christmas, he hates surprises and he's just so agitated. How do you handle this? Do you let your child know ahead exactly what they are getting? Do you not do the traditional "Christmas Day" routine? I don't know what to do. Any input or suggestions on how to help him deal with the holidays better would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough that he doesn't even like going to my parents for dinner. He always wants to leave as soon as we get there.Thanks!PamMom to 17yrs. Aspergers, Severe social anxiety, auditory and visually dyslexic, ph 16yrs. Bipolar, Tourette Syndrome, anxiety, OCD and ADHD, and nna 10 Rett Syndrome, CP and possible Bipolar. pjrd67@...

The weather's getting colder, but the movies are getting hotter. See Moviefone's holiday movie guide and get the Moviefone Toolbar today.

Hello,

Oh yeah the holidays are a nightmare. My son is 15 aspi and hates surprise. I usually let him open something little the week before christmas. Then he can't open anything until christmas eve. So if it is something that will keep him busy long enough to keep his mind off the rest of the presents. I usually let him open a video game. We take turns going from my siblings home each christmas and I usually let matthew bring his laptop, and he goes and find a nice quiet spot to play it good luck and Merry Christmas. in Michigan

From: pjrd67@... <pjrd67@...>Subject: ( ) Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays? Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 6:49 PM

Hi. I'm new here and not very experienced with this so I apologize if this has been asked before. My son is 17 yrs. old and every year about this time he always gets worse. He's more frustrated because he doesn't know what he got for Christmas, he hates surprises and he's just so agitated. How do you handle this? Do you let your child know ahead exactly what they are getting? Do you not do the traditional "Christmas Day" routine? I don't know what to do. Any input or suggestions on how to help him deal with the holidays better would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough that he doesn't even like going to my parents for dinner. He always wants to leave as soon as we get there.Thanks!PamMom to 17yrs. Aspergers, Severe social anxiety, auditory and visually dyslexic, ph 16yrs. Bipolar, Tourette Syndrome, anxiety, OCD and ADHD, and nna 10 Rett Syndrome, CP and possible Bipolar. pjrd67@...

The weather's getting colder, but the movies are getting hotter. See Moviefone's holiday movie guide and get the Moviefone Toolbar today.

Wow, Pam! You have your hands so full with these kids!!

I was going to say that you might want to use a Christmas calendar with him. You know, make a small gift each day counting down to Christmas. You could have planned it with candy, money, coupons for things, or extra computer time - whatever floats his boat. But then I see your kids' special needs and I know you have no time to plan something like that. lol.

Is he working with anyone on social skills? These are the kinds of lessons he could be learning in a social skill class.

RoxannaYou're UniqueJust like everyone else...

( ) Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays?

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1838 - Release Date: 12/8/2008 6:16 PM

lol, Jan, that was my idea too!

( ) Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays? Date: Monday, December 8, 2008, 6:49 PM

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1838 - Release Date: 12/8/2008 6:16 PM

Hi! There's never a dull moment around here that's for sure. :o) Jake was taking classes while he was in school, but even school got to be too much for him and he dropped out. He was in residential placement for a year. Between his anxiety and his mania that worked well (not) He was the worst I've ever seen him while he was there. Hygiene and social skills are not his strong points and the placement kept saying that I never taught him these things and he wouldn't do them because he didn't know how. That didn't go over well with Jake because he is very protective of me. They could never figure out that even though he was capable of the hygiene part, he was unable to do it most of the time.

Life has been fun here to say the least. He can't even tolerate noise. My daughter screams all the time and he just freaks out.

Like I said, never a dull moment...............................

Thanks

Pam

ginal Message-----

Sent: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 8:53 am

Subject: Re: ( ) Anyone's son get worse around the Holidays?

Wow, Pam! You have your hands so full with these kids!!

I was going to say that you might want to use a Christmas calendar with him. You know, make a small gift each day counting down to Christmas. You could have planned it with candy, money, coupons for things, or extra computer time - whatever floats his boat. But then I see your kids' special needs and I know you have no time to plan something like that. lol.

Is he working with anyone on social skills? These are the kinds of lessons he could be learning in a social skill class.

Roxanna

You're Unique

Just like everyone else...

Hi. I'm new here and not very experienced with this so I apologize if this has been asked before. My son is 17 yrs. old and every year about this time he always gets worse. He's more frustrated because he doesn't know what he got for Christmas, he hates surprises and he's just so agitated. How do you handle this? Do you let your child know ahead exactly what they are getting? Do you not do the traditional "Christmas Day" routine? I don't know what to do. Any input or suggestions on how to help him deal with the holidays better would be greatly appreciated. It's bad enough that he doesn't even like going to my parents for dinner. He always wants to leave as soon as we get there.

Thanks!

Pam

Mom to 17yrs. Aspergers, Severe social anxiety, auditory and visually dyslexic, ph 16yrs. Bipolar, Tourette Syndrome, anxiety, OCD and ADHD, and nna 10 Rett Syndrome, CP and possible Bipolar.

pjrd67@...

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1838 - Release Date: 12/8/2008 6:16 PM

The weather's getting colder, but the movies are getting hotter. Get the Moviefone Toolbar and see Moviefone's holiday movie guide today.

You know now that I think about it ...maybe he isn't as bad about it this year....as we have not talked abut it as much...we just put up the tree with some decorations...but not all...I think that is all I am doing...i love Christmas time...but I don't have the energy this year. I ususally have a small tree in the kitchen...it is white and I decorated all with blue ornaments....(my kitchen is white and blue)....and then I use to put a itsy little tree on the computer desk...and I have tons and tons of decorating stuff for xmas...but this year I am not pulling it all out...so maybe that has helped. And, we have not talked about it much...it seems like it is coming way too fast.

He does know one present...I think he knew his father would get it...and I really think he went looking.....it is an xbox game...he has asked if he could play it ...We said NO. Then he said can I take the plastic off to read the instructions...yeah right...you just want to have it open so you can play it w/out us knowing. The other day when Brad was here he was telling him and he went to the draw to show Brad the game....what a kid....if father said ...What are you doing? He replies ...just showing Brad the game....too much.

We did buy him a chess set since he and his tSS play and his TSS says he is really good.....that is so nice to hear....and I am constantly praising him about it. WE thought of his joing the chess club but it is more a team ...they meet 4 days a week after school and then compete against other schools...and there is no way he could or would go 4 days a week and he would never compete...what a shame.

Thanks...for bringing back those funny moments......

jan

"I will try to be open to all avenues of wisdom and hope"

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1838 - Release Date: 12/8/2008 6:16 PM

What is he doing now school wise? The school is obligated to educate him. My older ds could not handle going to school by his junior year in high school so he was tutored several times per week at the local library. You could have services provided in different ways, if that is what he needs. He could go to social skill classes outside of school at a private ST or perhaps a group that meets in your area. The school should provide these things if he qualifies for special services.

The noise thing: I had a friend years back whose dd has Rett's. She must be 20 years old right now. Anyway, the noises and hand flipping were the things I remember most. Around my house, there are just days where all that gets said is, "Stop making that noise!" Everyone is either hypersensitive to sounds or compelled to make noises here. It is truly a miracle we get through each day sometimes. lol.

Personal hygiene: I have two with HFA. One takes showers daily and always has. The other has to be ordered to get in there and sometimes I doubt he has used soap. It is so frustrating when people think you just didn't teach him how after all the effort we have put into it already. Anyway, hang in there!!

The weather's getting colder, but the movies are getting hotter. Get the Moviefone Toolbar and see Moviefone's holiday movie guide today.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.17/1845 - Release Date: 12/12/2008 9:02 AM