RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Request to share my story in Texas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Very interesting!!!

Janice Rushen

"I will try to be open to all avenues of wisdom and hope"

From: Roxanna <madideas@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Re: Request to share my story in Texas Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 9:24 AM

I think this is a common problem and perhaps the IDEA should have to document kids who are not in public school with disabilities just to keep data and find out information on these things. Not long ago my school got some sort of award for being so fabulous for kids with AS. I was in shock. My ds was being tutored out of school at the time because they couldn't educate him at school without botching it so badly. And my younger ds was not doing well - heading downhill. A few years later, we would pull him out to e-school at home because they were damaging him. But here they were, getting an award. lol.

Then I started thinking of all the kids who were no longer in the school - whose parents had pulled their kids out because their kids were being hurt more by the school staff who were clueless or whose kids had behaviors that could not be dealt with appropriately at school because they had no clue. I only knew of two people by then who were still in public school with their AS kids. The rest had pulled out already.

So then I thought, no wonder the program looks so great - they weeded out all the tough to teach kids, all the behavior problem kids. All they have left are mild, high functioning kids who probably are closer to NT than AS anyway. And so they shine and the school shines...but my kids are out of that happy glowing sphere. Talk about skewing data....

RoxannaYou're UniqueJust like everyone else...

( ) Re: Request to share my story in Texas

Hi ,You are a great Mom ... I don't want you to think that I think less ofwhat you are doing. You are doing a great job and you are makingsacrifices for your DS that should be greatly praised. I am praising you.On the other hand, families in Texas have no chance at receiving whatyou did in California to date. There was an attempt on a Scholarshipbill last legislative session, but it did not pass. Many familieshomeschool in Texas to avoid litigation and harm to children. Thosethat can afford it pay for private school. There are some scatteredschools that do provide services, but there are so many familieshomeschooling and private that it shows that much needs to be done inthe area of providing FAPE for Special Need families.Again, I praise you. My DS is 21 in the Autism spectrum, and I spenda lot of time in Texas legislating for more services, option andprograms for young adults

as they transition into their future.Thank you for sharing and posting here.Mark >> Sure. You can share my post with others. I guess you could say I'm > lucky, but I have mixed feelings. It took so long to find help for > my son. I did consider homeschooling, but my son was so oppositional > by the time he was in middle school that he would not have > cooperated with me as his teacher. I also know that he needed to be > with other people. I was fortunate in finding a great school for my > son & then was lucky to have the school district cover expenses. The > name of his school is Springstone in Lafayette in California. It is > very close to another similar school called Orion Academy.

Both are > good schools, but Springstone works more on the child's individual > needs and has more social activities and field trips. Orion has a > well-thought out program, but everyone has to do the program > together. The emphasis is more on academics, but less than 10% are > able to finish college. > > I had to cover the tuition myself for most of the first year & > between the cost of tuition & the lawyers I spent my savings, the > college funds for my other two children, and one-half of my > retirement. I was desparate for my son. I figured if the school > district didn't come through I could afford one year at the school & > at least he would have one happy year. > > This school has changed his life, but still I feel like the burden > is on me to find the solution for what comes after high school. I > think many of the

parents at the school would say the same thing. > This type of private school is no one's first choice for their > child. > > Anyway he will be out of high school soon & so I am in the process > of trying to figure out what will come next for my son. I feel > fortunate in that now I have a network of parents who are going > through the same thing or have made peace with their adult children > and so am going from there. > > >

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1839 - Release Date: 12/9/2008 9:59 AM