RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Girls and Aspergers - Deb

Rate this topic

Guest guest

WOW Deb, that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.debmetsfan@... wrote: Wow! I hope that's what happens with , too! She is a freshman. In her science class, her teacher told me that has over a 100% average (extra credit!) on her tests, but because she doesn't do her homework or turn it in, she is only getting a 48%! refuses to write in her planner. When I ask her if she has homework, she tells me no. I don't know anything about it until the school starts calling me. had 5 chapters of homework to do in science class! The end of the marking

period is this week. She was supposed to stay after school for help but all she did was get the assignments from the teacher and leave. I made stay up until 10 pm on Thursday night to get through as many chapters as she could, but she didn't finish all of it. I called the school on Friday to talk to the school therapist and she said she would talk to the teacher because at least is showing an effort. She has to have everything finished by tomorrow. She hasn't started on anything yet. So I'm going to have to start yelling at her soon. She just went for a walk. Arrgh!!! She is so frustrating. had trouble with her combo lock so they gave her a locker with a key, but she lost the key, even though it's on a long chain, I guess it's called a lanyard. She finally found it again. She has no clue where her house key is. We just had a new door put up and I don't want to give her the

extra key because I know she'll lose it.DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 10:54:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, hotmail writes: Just adding a comment to 's great ones: With my son, I told the school that when it comes to organization, don't expect it. It's something we continually work on (and by middle school, that's HOW many years??) but that I didn't want his grades affected by his *not* being organized (having some notebook he's supposed to keep up, teacher looks at, etc.). Good news - for some reason in high school (maybe 9th grade...but 10th for sure), he suddenly kept it all organized! It was like a miracle to me, LOL. He's 19 now, first year in college.in

NCDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo

Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~http://www.animalrescuelinks.org**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I think gets thrown off like that, too.

She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any more."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."

What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian - it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week.

Deb

In a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002@... writes:

WOW Deb,

that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things.

the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.

Debbie Salerno

Maine Coon Rescue

Board Member

DNA Manager

Eastern Regional Director

Vice President

www.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

http://www.animalrescuelinks.org

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Deb, My son does the same thing, He doesn't tell me anything, but I always seem to find out things by mistake... Like saying to you " I think I don't have Italian class an more ". instead of letting you know the first day by saying, they took me out from Italian class and sent me to the guidance office. And why does the school feel like they need to " hide " this from the parents? boy oh boy !!! My son get lunch detention for not turning in his homework, but we are both told its not a punishment !.. so, why do you call it lunch " detention ". LOL, I'll have to " fix " that too. I also think they "use" my son as an example. because at lunch time, they make him sit by himself, away from all the kids to finish his work. either work not finished in class or home. Now all the other kids see him (they get it) but he doesn't, he is told it's not a punishment, but its called "lunch

detention" and everybody else knows this as a punishment...and using my son as an example !!!. and the school knows exactly what they're doing !!!... as far as manipulating a situation. Just like they privately tell my son, its not a punishment, they can tell others - if you don't complete your work, you'll get " lunch detention" just like ----- that boy just did !!! Rosedebmetsfan@... wrote: I think gets thrown off like that, too. She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any more.""Why not?" I asked."Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian - it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week. DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes: WOW Deb,that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~http://www.animalrescuelinks.org**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Dylan's middle school had a study skills course he could take the first part of the year and it helped TREMENDOUSLY. He had a teacher in there (w/ one assistant and 2-3 other kids) who helped make sure he had his worked turned in and helped him get caught up with anything he was missing. We still had extra to do at home sometimes, but this extracurricular class was so helpful. He had to take gym the second part of the year b/c he's also in band but one of his electives has to be a physical education activity. I wish Dylan could've just stayed in the study skills class, but that's life. Just means we'll have more to do at home.

Also, I had it worked into Dylan's IEP that if his homework is not turned in when it is due, I am notified that day via email from the teacher. He is given one extra day to turn it in w/out penalty. I had to push on this too. They only wanted to notify me if his work wasn't turned in on the extra day but I argued..."so you only let me know when it's for sure going to be late and he gets penalized? Wouldn't it be more helpful for me to know prior so I can help him actually get it turned in w/ NO penalty?" The special education lady argued w/ me but the Asst. Principal walked in and fully supported me.

I have to say...my son has attended three elementary schools and now this one middle school. The elementary school that was the BEST was a middle-class school. He also attended an upper-class elementary school and it was HORRIBLE. He didn't fit the "mold" so they really didn't know what to do with him. From 3rd-6th grade though, we've rec'd wonderful help. I'm very involved w/ his school and have email dialogues w/ most of his teachers a couple of times (or more) each month. Just that alone helps so much.

Re: ( ) Re: Girls and Aspergers - Deb

Deb,

My son does the same thing, He doesn't tell me anything, but I always seem to find out things by mistake... Like saying to you " I think I don't have Italian class an more ".

instead of letting you know the first day by saying, they took me out from Italian class and sent me to the guidance office. And why does the school feel like they need to " hide " this from the parents? boy oh boy !!! My son get lunch detention for not turning in his homework, but we are both told its not a punishment !.. so, why do you call it lunch " detention ". LOL, I'll have to " fix " that too. I also think they "use" my son as an example. because at lunch time, they make him sit by himself, away from all the kids to finish his work. either work not finished in class or home. Now all the other kids see him (they get it) but he doesn't, he is told it's not a punishment, but its called "lunch detention" and everybody else knows this as a punishment.. .and using my son as an example !!!.

and the school knows exactly what they're doing !!!... as far as manipulating a situation.

Just like they privately tell my son, its not a punishment, they can tell others - if you don't complete your work, you'll get " lunch detention" just like ----- that boy just did !!!

Rosedebmetsfanaol (DOT) com wrote:

I think gets thrown off like that, too. She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any more.""Why not?" I asked."Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian - it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week. DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes:

WOW Deb,that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on

that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue .com

~**~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~http://www.animalre scuelinks. org************ **Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body. aol.com/fitness/ winter-exercise? NCID=aolcmp00300 000002489

Yes, I realized we have to speak up when we know something isn't right and "FIGHT" for what our kids need in school to help them progress without them getting stressed. I just can't understand why the school would like to spend tons of money through a hearing instead of giving the kids the services they need. especially when you have more than one professional stating that it's needed. Like you, until the school provides the services my son needs. I get him the help on the outside. then when they finally realize its needed and provide that service. I show them that He already started it outside and with the additional help at school. He should catch up. but why does it take them so long to see this.? MacAllister <smacalli@...> wrote: Dylan's middle school had a study skills course he could take the first part of the year and it helped TREMENDOUSLY. He had a teacher in there (w/ one assistant and 2-3 other kids) who helped make sure he had his worked turned in and helped him get caught up with anything he was missing. We still had extra to do at home sometimes, but this extracurricular class was so helpful. He had to take gym the second part of the year b/c he's also in band but one of his electives has to be a physical

education activity. I wish Dylan could've just stayed in the study skills class, but that's life. Just means we'll have more to do at home. Also, I had it worked into Dylan's IEP that if his homework is not turned in when it is due, I am notified that day via email from the teacher. He is given one extra day to turn it in w/out penalty. I had to push on this too. They only wanted to notify me if his work wasn't turned in on the extra day but I argued..."so you only let me know when it's for sure going to be late and he gets penalized? Wouldn't it be more helpful for me to know prior so I can help him actually get it turned in w/ NO penalty?" The special education lady argued w/ me but the Asst. Principal walked in and fully supported me.

I have to say...my son has attended three elementary schools and now this one middle school. The elementary school that was the BEST was a middle-class school. He also attended an upper-class elementary school and it was HORRIBLE. He didn't fit the "mold" so they really didn't know what to do with him. From 3rd-6th grade though, we've rec'd wonderful help. I'm very involved w/ his school and have email dialogues w/ most of his teachers a couple of times (or more) each month. Just that alone helps so much. Re: ( ) Re: Girls and Aspergers - Deb Deb, My son does the same thing, He doesn't tell me anything, but I always seem to find out things by mistake... Like saying to you " I think I don't have Italian class an more ". instead of letting you know the first day by saying, they took me out from Italian class and sent me to the guidance office. And why does the school feel like they need to " hide " this from the parents? boy oh boy !!! My son get lunch detention for not turning in his homework, but we are both told its not a punishment !.. so, why do you call it lunch " detention ". LOL, I'll have to " fix " that too. I also think they "use" my son as an example. because at lunch time, they make him sit by himself, away from all the kids

to finish his work. either work not finished in class or home. Now all the other kids see him (they get it) but he doesn't, he is told it's not a punishment, but its called "lunch detention" and everybody else knows this as a punishment.. .and using my son as an example !!!. and the school knows exactly what they're doing !!!... as far as manipulating a situation. Just like they privately tell my son, its not a punishment, they can tell others - if you don't complete your work, you'll get " lunch detention" just like ----- that boy just did !!! Rosedebmetsfanaol (DOT) com wrote: I think gets thrown off like that, too. She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any

more.""Why not?" I asked."Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian - it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week. DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes: WOW Deb,that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which

in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue .com ~**~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~**~** ~**~http://www.animalre scuelinks. org************ **Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body. aol.com/fitness/ winter-exercise? NCID=aolcmp00300 000002489 Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it

now.

That is sad but true. I don't know how often I have heard people say that they are told those things and it really plays on our own desires to have our child achieve and be as independent as possible. THey use those key words and how we can argue against something we want!?!? So I think they really take advantage of a lot of parents that way.

You are so right when you say that if he had the help before, he wouldn't need so much of it now. It does accumulate over time and the farther behind they get, the more help they will need every year. Pretty soon, you are just trying to accommodate as best you can because catching up is a pipe dream.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Hi, Rose!Just the way told me - she had me cracking up laughing! Even though it really isn't a laughing matter. I called the new case manager today - she didn't know, of course, that was being sent to the guidance office. She said she is going to find out why. I told her that is having a hard time with Italian and I would like the aid in there to help her. She said in high school, they want to make the kids as independent as possible and she didn't think it would be good to have another adult hovering over her in that class. She asked if had any modifications in Italian, and I said no, so we are now going to look into that. She and I were both in meetings all afternoon so she is going to call me back with her suggestions.Your poor son! I sure wouldn't want to be made an example of. That's not right. Sure sounds like punishment to me! And to be put on display. That's awful.DebIn a message dated 1/17/08 7:31:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes:

Deb,My son does the same thing, He doesn't tell me anything, but I always seem to find out things by mistake... Like saying to you " I think I don't have Italian class an more ".instead of letting you know the first day by saying, they took me out from Italian class and sent me to the guidance office. And why does the school feel like they need to " hide " this from the parents? boy oh boy !!! My son get lunch detention for not turning in his homework, but we are both told its not a punishment !.. so, why do you call it lunch " detention ". LOL, I'll have to " fix " that too. I also think they "use" my son as an example. because at lunch time, they make him sit by himself, away from all the kids to finish his work. either work not finished in class or home. Now all the other kids see him (they get it) but he doesn't, he is told it's not a punishment, but its called "lunch detention" and everybody else knows this as a punishment...and using my son as an example !!!. and the school knows exactly what they're doing !!!... as far as manipulating a situation.Just like they privately tell my son, its not a punishment, they can tell others - if you don't complete your work, you'll get " lunch detention" just like ----- that boy just did !!!RoseDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~http://www.animalrescuelinks.org**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

• 2 weeks later...

They said because she refused to work with a partner. Whatever they were working on had to be done with partners. I guess they were conversing with each other? Not sure.

gave her Italian teacher a Christmas present and she gave a thank you card that said "Thank you so much for the lovely Christmas pin. I am so touched by your thoughtfulness. I thank God for giving us this wonderful year together. You are and will always be such a blessing to me. Love, Mrs. Kaja XO"

This note made feel so good!

Deb

In a message dated 1/19/2008 3:51:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, madideas@... writes:

Did you find out why they are sending her out of class?

One language that both my kids have taken and they did/do well in and like is Latin. My 19 yo, hfa, dyslexia, ds got good grades in it and liked it.

RoxannaAutism Happens

I think gets thrown off like that, too. She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any more.""Why not?" I asked."Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian - it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week. DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes:

WOW Deb,that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~http://www.animalrescuelinks.org**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Deb, I had to respond to your post. Our kids do need kind words from other adults. (besides their own parents). Kind words from other adults have a very nice impact on our kids. That was so nice and caring for 's teacher to say those nice words in her thank you card. "GOOD FOR HER" !!! When my son was in first grade, His teacher complained about him every day, along with others in his school. After school leader -she even suspended him for flicking the light switch, swim, recreation, art, etc.. all complaints. Except his religion teacher. She was such a beautiful person. teaching religion for many, many years. She gave my son such a beautiful Christmas Card. the ones that are blank, and you put your own words in it. She spoke of my son so well, explained how good he was, how much she enjoyed his conversations (others would tell him he talked too

much, or too much about the same topic). she told him he has so many good ideas and enjoyed having him in her class. It was a long card. When my son thanked her for the card, he told her, I think your the only person that likes me...Even when she retired from teaching religion, she still sent him a card every year. so, nice words for our kids are good for them to hear. And in 5th grade, he still remebers her. Rosedebmetsfan@... wrote: They said because she refused to work with a partner. Whatever they were working on had to be done with partners. I guess they were conversing with each other? Not sure. gave her Italian teacher a Christmas present and she gave a thank you card that said "Thank you so much for the lovely Christmas pin. I am so touched by your thoughtfulness. I thank God for giving us this wonderful year together. You are and will always be such a blessing to me. Love, Mrs. Kaja XO" This note made feel so good! Deb In a message dated 1/19/2008 3:51:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, madideaszoominternet (DOT) net writes: Did you find out why they are sending her out of class? One language that both my kids have taken and they did/do well in and like is Latin. My 19 yo, hfa, dyslexia, ds got good grades in it and liked it. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) Re: Girls and Aspergers - Deb I think gets thrown off like that, too. She was telling me tonight, "I don't think I'm in Italian class any more.""Why not?" I asked."Well, for the past two days, whenever I go to Italian class, Ms. K sends me to the guidance office."What is up with that? No one called me to tell me was having problems in class. Now I have to call the school again tomorrow and find out what is going on. said this has been going on for two days. She said she doesn't like Italian

- it is too hard. I suggested Spanish because that is what I took in school but I don't know if it will be any easier for her. But at least I could help her. Mid-terms are next week. DebIn a message dated 1/13/08 12:35:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes: WOW Deb,that is the Hugh

struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what

we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed

easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~http://www.animalrescuelinks.org**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489 Start the

year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

• 3 weeks later...

That is really sweet, Rose! Those kind words really do mean a lot. I don't think will ever forget her Italian teacher, either!

Speaking of which - the teacher was out today and there was a substitute. Some kids were throwing things around and got mad and started yelling at them. She told a boy that she was going to smash his face in if he didn't stop! And something to a girl along the effects of, I'm going to kill you! Although the vice principal said she didn't say those exact words. He said everyone knows didn't mean it but he is going to have to give her two hours of detention.

is going to a new psychiatrist Monday morning for a re-evaluation. It will be interesting to see what this new doctor has to say.

Deb

In a message dated 1/31/2008 7:10:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002@... writes:

Deb,

I had to respond to your post. Our kids do need kind words from other adults. (besides their own parents). Kind words from other adults have a very nice impact on our kids. That was so nice and caring for 's teacher to say those nice words in her thank you card.

"GOOD FOR HER" !!!

When my son was in first grade, His teacher complained about him every day, along with others in his school. After school leader -she even suspended him for flicking the light switch, swim, recreation, art, etc.. all complaints.

Except his religion teacher. She was such a beautiful person. teaching religion for many, many years. She gave my son such a beautiful Christmas Card. the ones that are blank, and you put your own words in it. She spoke of my son so well, explained how good he was, how much she enjoyed his conversations (others would tell him he talked too much, or too much about the same topic). she told him he has so many good ideas and enjoyed having him in her class. It was a long card. When my son thanked her for the card, he told her, I think your the only person that likes me...Even when she retired from teaching religion, she still sent him a card every year.

so, nice words for our kids are good for them to hear. And in 5th grade, he still remebers her.

Rosedebmetsfanaol wrote:

They said because she refused to work with a partner. Whatever they were working on had to be done with partners. I guess they were conversing with each other? Not sure.

gave her Italian teacher a Christmas present and she gave a thank you card that said "Thank you so much for the lovely Christmas pin. I am so touched by your thoughtfulness. I thank God for giving us this wonderful year together. You are and will always be such a blessing to me. Love, Mrs. Kaja XO"

Deb

In a message dated 1/19/2008 3:51:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, madideaszoominternet (DOT) net writes:

One language that both my kids have taken and they did/do well in and like is Latin. My 19 yo, hfa, dyslexia, ds got good grades in it and liked it.

RoxannaAutism Happens

WOW Deb,that is the Hugh struggle I'm having now with my son. But I found something that is working for him. I think he found it, and I worked with it. My son forgets everything from his favorite toy to his important necessities. I make a short list right to the point. <<<He has learned to memorize the list>>> to remember most of his important things. the 'down side' is:, If something through out the day is added or changed which in not on that list. he will lose it and can get confused with his original list. But for now, I'm focusing on the good side of this. not to make lite of anything, just because there is nothing we can do about it right now except continue what we are doing.Debbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com

Messages in this topic (23) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

MARKETPLACE

Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

Why doesn't the principal give her 2 hours with the speech therapist to discuss better ways to yell at people? Seems like that would be a solution so she doesn't keep doing it. With his way, she'll do it again the next time a situation comes up. That seems silly.

RoxannaAutism Happens

MARKETPLACE

Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

I didn't like the first one because we would wait in the waiting room for hours (no lie - we have been there for 3 hours waiting for our turn!) to only be there for five minutes and handed her prescriptions. The therapist that I started taking to a few months ago recommended this new psychiatrist. She said she spends time with the kids. That is what I'm looking for. A friend of mine brings her daughter to the same psychiatrist and she wants to switch to this other one, too. She said she has seen a big difference over the years with our current psychiatrist and its not for the better. I'm going to call her when I get home on Monday to let her know how it went. I'm mostly concerned with 's medications. She is so happy and loving when she is not on them, but once they kick in, she is so grumpy. I want to see this doctor's opinion of everything.

Deb

In a message dated 2/16/2008 3:03:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002@... writes:

Deb,

were you unhappy with the first psychiatrist? I hope she likes the new one.

Rosedebmetsfanaol wrote:

That is really sweet, Rose! Those kind words really do mean a lot. I don't think will ever forget her Italian teacher, either!

Speaking of which - the teacher was out today and there was a substitute. Some kids were throwing things around and got mad and started yelling at them. She told a boy that she was going to smash his face in if he didn't stop! And something to a girl along the effects of, I'm going to kill you! Although the vice principal said she didn't say those exact words. He said everyone knows didn't mean it but he is going to have to give her two hours of detention.

is going to a new psychiatrist Monday morning for a re-evaluation. It will be interesting to see what this new doctor has to say.

Deb

In a message dated 1/31/2008 7:10:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, beachbodytan2002 writes:

Deb,

I had to respond to your post. Our kids do need kind words from other adults. (besides their own parents). Kind words from other adults have a very nice impact on our kids. That was so nice and caring for 's teacher to say those nice words in her thank you card.

"GOOD FOR HER" !!!

When my son was in first grade, His teacher complained about him every day, along with others in his school. After school leader -she even suspended him for flicking the light switch, swim, recreation, art, etc.. all complaints.

Except his religion teacher. She was such a beautiful person. teaching religion for many, many years. She gave my son such a beautiful Christmas Card. the ones that are blank, and you put your own words in it. She spoke of my son so well, explained how good he was, how much she enjoyed his conversations (others would tell him he talked too much, or too much about the same topic). she told him he has so many good ideas and enjoyed having him in her class. It was a long card. When my son thanked her for the card, he told her, I think your the only person that likes me...Even when she retired from teaching religion, she still sent him a card every year.

so, nice words for our kids are good for them to hear. And in 5th grade, he still remebers her.

Rosedebmetsfanaol wrote:

Deb

In a message dated 1/19/2008 3:51:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, madideaszoominternet (DOT) net writes:

RoxannaAutism Happens

MARKETPLACE

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living.

A speech therapist will help with that? I will ask for that! I really would like another IEP meeting. Our lives are so busy right now, but I need to fit that in.

She does have in-school counseling and out of school counseling. They did talk about ways she could have handled herself better. She told one girl she was a b*tch. She said the girl was offering her a piece of gum that she already had in her mouth! also got in trouble because she has a very big chest (32DD) and there are boys in the cafeteria that sit at what she calls the Perv table and they make comments to her. One boy asked why she doesn't like him, and said, "Do you want a list?" and he said yes, so she wrote a list of everything that she doesn't like about him. The Vice principal said it was really mean but he also thought that it was funny! did not get detention that time but she did get talked to. He told that she doesn't have to sit near those boys but she said that she enjoys listening to them sometimes! Go figure. I think maybe she likes to battle wits with them.

Deb

In a message dated 2/16/2008 8:52:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, madideas@... writes:

Why doesn't the principal give her 2 hours with the speech therapist to discuss better ways to yell at people? Seems like that would be a solution so she doesn't keep doing it. With his way, she'll do it again the next time a situation comes up. That seems silly.

RoxannaAutism Happens

MARKETPLACE

Yes, a speech therapist should help her with pragmatic speech and this is one of those pragmatic speech issues - how to talk to people, how to handle situations, what to say in response in certain situations, learning about idioms and sarcasm and literal thinking, etc. She sounds like she is very literal and reacting as someone who is literal - this is part of her disability. I hate to see her being punished for having a disability. Instead, she needs to work with someone who can help her learn about these things.

RoxannaAutism Happens

MARKETPLACE