RemedySpot.com

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, I'm new to the group and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Kylie, my 13y.o. ds was diagnosed by a private neuropsych in May with "aspects of NLD", last week the school psych decided that he fit the dx of AS. Merry Xmas indeed.

He is fun, smart and very loving. He fortunately doesn't suffer meltdowns and is ok with some changes. Which is good, as we have moved internationally 3 times in his life and lived in 9 different houses since his birth. He is not that difficult to live with and quite honestly, if it weren't for all his difficulties with schoolwork, I would never have suspected that anything was amiss.

He simply cannot start or complete so much of his classwork and homework, that he is failing in many subjects. In tests, he invariably does very well. All of his teachers say he is so intelligent and knows so much, that they cannot understand why he is failing. His PE teacher has phoned me on several occasions to complain that he is "capable", but refuses to participate, won't follow directions and is rude/defiant to her. When I tried to point out that he has NLD and she needs to be more understanding, she replied that her dd has ADHD and she wasn't allowed to use that as an "excuse".

We had our second IEP meeting last week and so many changes have been made that I am uncertain that any of it will work for him. I suppose we will just have to wait and see. With the AS dx, they seem to be more on board and willing to implement more supportive strategies.

On top of this, my 17 y.o. dd MIGHT have MS. We have to wait to see the drs at the UC clinic in mid January for a clear dx. Over the past 6 months of learning so much about ASD's, I am inclined to think that she has some characteristics of AS too. I am in two minds as to whether or not to have her tested for it.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband and a solid partnership. We feel that we are in a great place to get them the help that they need. I looke forward to being a part of this group and gleaning as much info and support as possible.

Kylie in CA.