RemedySpot.com

New to forum

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. We¢ve had concerns prior to this diagnosis but since he was such

a precocious and articulate child we ignored some of the early signs. Now that we have the diagnosis we are a little overwhelmed. We received the diagnosis from the McCarton Center in NY last Wednesday. Dr. McCarton delivered the news herself and left us both feeling very optimistic but now I am feeling like I may have naively mistaken her optimism. My son is obsessed with musical instruments. We attend music class once a week. He can tell you the parts of every

instrument. His favorite instrument is the Oboe. He can tell you what instruments are in the Brass, String, Woodwind and family. A few weeks ago I indulged his obsession by walking in a local music store and asking if we could see an oboe. The owner was so impressed by that he followed us down the street insisting that we take the oboe free. He said that my son is a musical genius and needs this oboe. Well instead of explaining the situation there on the street I graciously declined the offer and told him we would visit the oboe again. Having just begun this journey I am feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information in books and on the internet. I am very interested in hearing about other parent¢s experiences and success stories. I've read that many

successful people have this condition, e.g., Bill Gates but I've also read that children with Aspergers are no longer viewed as gifted and talented but labeled with a handicap.I¢ve also read that I should set aside time for him to indulge in his obsessions, which, also includes numbers, letters and colors, but try to get him involved with new things, which is always a challenge. I appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely,