RemedySpot.com

Re: College for the Barker Boys

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Toni, that is great news & let's us know their is hope for the future for our kids. Thanks,Betty oni <kbtoni@...> wrote: Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their (

the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY. The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are

failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean to write a book, but I have been spinning my

wheels for so long that it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

I'm so happy for you. I can hear in your "voice" that you are at a "better" place, now. Your guys are gonna be just fine. Thank God for caring people who understand and are willing to help, ya know? Wondering if you should let the boys know you told the counselor about their issues is a toughy. YOU know that there isn't anything wrong with letting people know. But them,,,, man,,,,,,,,they honestly believe that no one needs to know. Maybe there will be a way to act as if Mike is just a counselor (regular) and when you know eachother better,,,,he (Mike) can say something like, "Sharing a bathroom isn't an uncommon thing here. We have some guys who have _________ or _______________ and just deal better with things that way". That way they hear that they aren't "freaks"..... and maybe they'll want to tell him. I bet that once they meet

him, they're gonna really get excited and open up. Mike sounds wonderful. YOU have been such a neat mom and allowing them to be who they are............yet you were always worrying. THEY ARE GONNA BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hee heeeeee. Hey....with them gone, now there will be a basement for and I to come and visit and lay around on hammocks. Hee hee. Robin Toni <kbtoni@...> wrote: Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY. The only problem is the boys have said they don't want

to disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that

for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven and

sounds like you found one in Mike.

Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a good

idea what is going on with them, but he could be imagining

something " worse " than the actual diagnosis, too.

You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having now...enjoy

the moment.

All the best.

Sue

>

> Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the

disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports

ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long

story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get

them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't

ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is

going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately

and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and

they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't

have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for

an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will

find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with

JOY.

> The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to

disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run

into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are

failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are

going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time

with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives

and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus

schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and

I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that

they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem,

Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we

would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used

to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I

said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never

called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there

either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a

long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean

to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that

it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

>

Oh Toni, I'm so glad to hear this! It's about time you got some good news! I hear your relief, and I'm so so happy for you.LizOn Jan 4, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Toni wrote:Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY.

This is great news, Toni! Good for you! and your boys!

Deb

In a message dated 1/4/08 5:49:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, kbtoni@... writes:

Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY.

The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

Debbie Salerno

Maine Coon Rescue

Board Member

DNA Manager

Eastern Regional Director

Vice President

www.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.animalrescuelinks.org

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

YEAH!!! TONI!!! Keep us updated!

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) College for the Barker Boys

Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY.

The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

Thanks, Robin I am pumped. We are going to probably just introduce Mike as the counselor for them as new students and let him handle it. He has worked for Vocational Rehab and at the college for a while. While we were in there he was arranging transportation for a girl with a walker to go to the bookstore with her voucher to get books. he was positive, I think that's what really got me excited , he wasn't saying NO, we can't do that and NO they don't qualify etc.. He said several times, I don't take no for an answer. They even had a dorm for 'serious students' that don't party and stuff and said maybe we could put them in there but I don't think they'd fit in there either cuz they don't make all that good of grades , they are just intelligent. so we will see ,but yes, I'm excited even if it isn't going to happen until fall. Thanks for understanding my JOY!!!

Re: ( ) College for the Barker Boys

I'm so happy for you.

I can hear in your "voice" that you are at a "better" place, now.

Your guys are gonna be just fine. Thank God for caring people who understand and are willing to help, ya know?

Wondering if you should let the boys know you told the counselor about their issues is a toughy. YOU know that there isn't anything wrong with letting people know. But them,,,, man,,,,,,,,they honestly believe that no one needs to know.

Maybe there will be a way to act as if Mike is just a counselor (regular) and when you know eachother better,,,,he (Mike) can say something like, "Sharing a bathroom isn't an uncommon thing here. We have some guys who have _________ or _______________ and just deal better with things that way". That way they hear that they aren't "freaks"..... and maybe they'll want to tell him.

I bet that once they meet him, they're gonna really get excited and open up. Mike sounds wonderful.

YOU have been such a neat mom and allowing them to be who they are............yet you were always worrying.

THEY ARE GONNA BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hee heeeeee.

Hey....with them gone, now there will be a basement for and I to come and visit and lay around on hammocks.

Hee hee.

Robin Toni <kbtoniwindstream (DOT) net> wrote:

Sue, we disclosed to Mike and showed him their pdoc reports but haven't told the boys we told him about their diagnosis', YET. The boys said they wanted to go to school just like everyone else but then can't share a bathroom so we HAVE to disclose to get accommodations like not sharing a bathroom with others.We were SO surprised when Mike brought up Vocational Rehab paying for school. He used to work for them too so he knows all of the counselors there too and said that even thought their case had been closed he will not take NO for an answer. You're right we have found an angel in Mike. Thanks for understanding my excitement!! Toni

( ) Re: College for the Barker Boys

Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven and sounds like you found one in Mike. Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a good idea what is going on with them, but he could be imagining something "worse" than the actual diagnosis, too. You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having now...enjoy the moment.All the best.Sue>> Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with JOY. > The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni>

Thanks Liz, I know you understand perfectly. I hope is doing well... Toni

Re: ( ) College for the Barker Boys

Oh Toni, I'm so glad to hear this! It's about time you got some good news! I hear your relief, and I'm so so happy for you.

Liz

On Jan 4, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Toni wrote:

I think I too, have good news to report. Our DS has finally been

accepted into JobCorps! It will mean he'll be about 100 miles away,

in a dorm with three other guys, working on his GED and a Culinary

Arts program. I am ecstatic, but hyperventilating at the thought at

the same time. I will be glad if we get a couple of months of

independence out of it. And, I know this sounds awful, but I can't

imagine it working out for him for the long haul, usually a two-year

program. I want it to, maybe just afraid to hope!

We have not told them a diagnosis of HFA, just ADD. They DO work on

social skills.

One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Any suggestions on letting

go would be much appreciated, this is going to be harder on me than

him! I keep thinking of all the skills he doesn't have " perfected "

yet. LOL, and probably never will.

That is so great about your kids and angel Mike!

, " Toni " <kbtoni@...> wrote:

>

> Sue, we disclosed to Mike and showed him their pdoc reports but

haven't told the boys we told him about their diagnosis', YET. The

boys said they wanted to go to school just like everyone else but

then can't share a bathroom so we HAVE to disclose to get

accommodations like not sharing a bathroom with others.We were SO

surprised when Mike brought up Vocational Rehab paying for school.

He used to work for them too so he knows all of the counselors there

too and said that even thought their case had been closed he will

not take NO for an answer. You're right we have found an angel in

Mike. Thanks for understanding my excitement!! Toni

> ( ) Re: College for the Barker Boys

>

>

> Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven

and

> sounds like you found one in Mike.

>

> Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a

good

> idea what is going on with them, but he could be imagining

> something " worse " than the actual diagnosis, too.

>

> You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having

now...enjoy

> the moment.

>

> All the best.

> Sue

>

>

> >

> > Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to

the

> disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological

reports

> ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc.

Long

> story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and

get

> them involved, they had closed their case because the kids

weren't

> ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is

> going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys

separately

> and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors

and

> they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they

won't

> have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no

for

> an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we

will

> find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with

> JOY.

> > The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to

> disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then

run

> into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they

are

> failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are

> going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend

time

> with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither

drives

> and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus

> schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home

and

> I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but

that

> they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no

problem,

> Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and

we

> would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he

used

> to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I

> said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never

> called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer

there

> either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a

> long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't

mean

> to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long

that

> it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni

> >

>

YAY FOR YOU AND YOUR SON!!!!carolynsuelowerychattanooga <sue@...> wrote: I think I too, have good news to report. Our DS has finally been accepted into JobCorps! It will mean he'll be about 100 miles away, in a dorm with three other guys, working on his GED and a Culinary Arts program. I am ecstatic, but hyperventilating at the thought at the same time. I will be glad if we get a couple of months of independence out of it. And, I know this sounds awful, but I can't imagine

it working out for him for the long haul, usually a two-year program. I want it to, maybe just afraid to hope! We have not told them a diagnosis of HFA, just ADD. They DO work on social skills.One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Any suggestions on letting go would be much appreciated, this is going to be harder on me than him! I keep thinking of all the skills he doesn't have "perfected" yet. LOL, and probably never will.That is so great about your kids and angel Mike! , "Toni" <kbtoni@...> wrote:>> Sue, we disclosed to Mike and showed him their pdoc reports but haven't told the boys we told him about their diagnosis', YET. The boys said they wanted to go to school just like everyone else but then can't share a bathroom so we HAVE to disclose to get accommodations like not sharing a

bathroom with others.We were SO surprised when Mike brought up Vocational Rehab paying for school. He used to work for them too so he knows all of the counselors there too and said that even thought their case had been closed he will not take NO for an answer. You're right we have found an angel in Mike. Thanks for understanding my excitement!! Toni> ( ) Re: College for the Barker Boys> > > Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven and > sounds like you found one in Mike. > > Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a good > idea what is going on with them, but he could be

imagining > something "worse" than the actual diagnosis, too. > > You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having now...enjoy > the moment.> > All the best.> Sue> > > >> > Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the > disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports > ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long > story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get > them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't > ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is > going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately > and get to know them and

introduce them to all the professors and > they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't > have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for > an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will > find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with > JOY. > > The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to > disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run > into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are > failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are > going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time > with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives > and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus > schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at

home and > I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that > they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, > Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we > would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used > to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I > said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never > called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there > either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a > long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean > to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that > it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni> >>

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Sue,That IS great news! Keep us posted on how it's going! As for letting go, that's a toughie. I'd just make sure he can call when he needs to, then figure that he will when the urge strikes. I'm in the process of dealing with this myself. If I come up with any brainstorms, I'll let you know. Right now, I'm in the "heart-going-pitty-pat" stage. It's not real constructive.LizOn Jan 7, 2008, at 1:29 PM, carolynsuelowerychattanooga wrote:I think I too, have good news to report. Our DS has finally been accepted into JobCorps! It will mean he'll be about 100 miles away, in a dorm with three other guys, working on his GED and a Culinary Arts program. I am ecstatic, but hyperventilating at the thought at the same time. I will be glad if we get a couple of months of independence out of it. And, I know this sounds awful, but I can't imagine it working out for him for the long haul, usually a two-year program. I want it to, maybe just afraid to hope! We have not told them a diagnosis of HFA, just ADD. They DO work on social skills.One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Any suggestions on letting go would be much appreciated, this is going to be harder on me than him! I keep thinking of all the skills he doesn't have "perfected" yet. LOL, and probably never will.That is so great about your kids and angel Mike!

Toni, I am so excited for you and your sons! I am a firm believer in answers to prayer coming at just the right time. And angels do exist. Thank God for Mike! Maybe there would be a lot more help for folks if People would answer the call to help just like Mike did. Anyway , we'll take what ever help we can get. Keep the faith. Keep the hope. Keep on keepin' on. Jerri. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: YAY FOR YOU AND YOUR

SON!!!!carolynsuelowerychattanooga <suechasinglewisandclark> wrote: I think I too, have good news to report. Our DS has finally been accepted into JobCorps! It will mean he'll be about 100 miles away, in a dorm with three other guys, working on his GED and a Culinary Arts program. I am ecstatic, but hyperventilating at the thought at the same time. I will be glad if we get a couple of months of independence out of it. And, I know this sounds awful, but I can't imagine it working out for him for the long haul, usually a two-year program. I want it to, maybe just afraid to hope! We have not told them a diagnosis of HFA, just ADD. They DO work on social skills.One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Any suggestions on letting go would be much appreciated, this is going to be harder

on me than him! I keep thinking of all the skills he doesn't have "perfected" yet. LOL, and probably never will.That is so great about your kids and angel Mike! , "Toni" <kbtoni@...> wrote:>> Sue, we disclosed to Mike and showed him their pdoc reports but haven't told the boys we told him about their diagnosis', YET. The boys said they wanted to go to school just like everyone else but then can't share a bathroom so we HAVE to disclose to get accommodations like not sharing a bathroom with others.We were SO surprised when Mike brought up Vocational Rehab paying for school. He used to work for them too so he knows all of the counselors there too and said that even thought their case had been closed he will not take NO for an answer. You're right we have found an angel in Mike. Thanks for

understanding my excitement!! Toni> ( ) Re: College for the Barker Boys> > > Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven and > sounds like you found one in Mike. > > Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a good > idea what is going on with them, but he could be imagining > something "worse" than the actual diagnosis, too. > > You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having now...enjoy > the moment.> > All the best.> Sue> > > >> > Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the > disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports > ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long > story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get > them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't > ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is > going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately > and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and > they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't > have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for > an answer and if some of the professors

won't accommodate, we will > find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with > JOY. > > The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to > disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run > into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are > failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are > going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time > with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives > and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus > schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and > I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that > they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, > Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we

> would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used > to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I > said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never > called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there > either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a > long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean > to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that > it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni> >> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Thanks Jerri, I believe in answered prayers too, now if I can just learn to be patient and WAIT instead of getting all nervous and worrying... :) Toni

( ) Re: College for the Barker Boys> > > Toni, that is fantastic! Sometimes angels DO descend from heaven and > sounds like you found one in Mike. > > Re: reveal diagnosis...my guess is that this guy probably has a good > idea what is going on with them, but he could be imagining > something "worse" than the actual diagnosis, too. > > You deserve every great, uplifted feeling you are having now...enjoy > the moment.> > All the best.> Sue> > > >> > Kerry and I went to one of the local colleges and talked to the > disability director. I had their ( the boys') psychological reports > ready, and contact from Vocational Rehab and SAT scores etc. Long > story short, we are going to call Vocational Rehab Monday and get > them involved, they had closed their case because the kids weren't > ready for college when they interviewed them. The man, Mike, is > going to be a sweetheart. He wants to meet with the boys separately > and get to know them and introduce them to all the professors and > they will also get to pick classes when the seniors do so they won't > have to take unneeded classes. He said that he doesn't take no for > an answer and if some of the professors won't accommodate, we will > find another professor! I wanted to hug the guy and shout with > JOY. > > The only problem is the boys have said they don't want to > disclose their diagnosis but I didn't want them not to and then run > into problems and then have to say oh, by the way, now that they are > failing they have aspergers and we need accommodations.So we are > going to have to handle this delicately. Mike wants to spend time > with them, he asked about transportation and I said neither drives > and he said well, we will get someone to teach them the bus > schedule. He asked if we wanted them to commute and live at home and > I said no, they needed to grow up and be more independent, but that > they won't share a bathroom with anyone else. He said no problem, > Vocational rehab would probably pay for them to share a room and we > would only be responsible for making up the difference! AND he used > to work with VR and said oh, yeah ,they will get help. Because I > said I didn't know if they would qualify for VR since they never > called us back (VR) but he said he won't take no for an answer there > either. I am SO PUMPED and told him that for the first time in a > long time I feel hopeful about their education! anyway, didn't mean > to write a book, but I have been spinning my wheels for so long that > it feels SO GOOD to start making some progress! YIPPPPEEEE, Toni> >>

That is so wonderful! Congratulations! That is very exciting!

I hope everything works out well!

:-)

Deb

In a message dated 1/7/08 1:30:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, sue@... writes:

I think I too, have good news to report. Our DS has finally been

accepted into JobCorps! It will mean he'll be about 100 miles away,

in a dorm with three other guys, working on his GED and a Culinary

Arts program. I am ecstatic, but hyperventilating at the thought at

the same time. I will be glad if we get a couple of months of

independence out of it. And, I know this sounds awful, but I can't

imagine it working out for him for the long haul, usually a two-year

program. I want it to, maybe just afraid to hope!

We have not told them a diagnosis of HFA, just ADD. They DO work on

social skills.

One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Any suggestions on letting

go would be much appreciated, this is going to be harder on me than

him! I keep thinking of all the skills he doesn't have "perfected"

yet. LOL, and probably never will.

That is so great about your kids and angel Mike!

Debbie Salerno

Maine Coon Rescue

Board Member

DNA Manager

Eastern Regional Director

Vice President

www.mainecoonrescue.com

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.animalrescuelinks.org

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489