RemedySpot.com

Re: meds and stuttering

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My AS 10 year old stutters because of tic's, which are brought on by any stimulant he takes. The stuttering happens off and on, along with other tic's that develop, the strange thing is his tic's are always changing. We put up with the tic's because when he is not on a stimulant he is a wild child.

Dawn **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

Can you ask the doc about a med to help with the tics? I have some friends who have kids with TS and they say tenex or clonidine can often help lower tics. I don't know if those would help your ds but you can ask your doc to recommend something and give it a try.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) meds and stuttering

My AS 10 year old stutters because of tic's, which are brought on by any stimulant he takes. The stuttering happens off and on, along with other tic's that develop, the strange thing is his tic's are always changing. We put up with the tic's because when he is not on a stimulant he is a wild child. Dawn **************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

We have tried clonidine for a different reason, and it seemed to make him more edgy, I will ask about the tenex, we have a med eval coming up in a couple of weeks. The med's have been the difficult part of finding what works and what does not. My son was on a number of med's at the same time, he was on Adderall XR, Sertraline, Colnidine, Depakote and Abilify (I think doc was trying abilify for tics on the regimen.) this was also during the time he was having major trouble with his behavior at home and school, I was also fighting with the school during this time to have him transfer to a school that would meet his needs. Because of behaviors and trying to figure out what was going on with my son the Doc started to titrate him down from the med's. I think when the Adderall went away, this is where he was all over the place into everything and not able to focus on one thing, I mean he could have ran in to traffic because he would not slow down to see what was going on around him. He also became more aggressive, so the end result from the Doc, was to put him back on a stimulant, the Daytrana patch and Zyprexa. So of course the tic's start due to the stimulant, but I was thinking it was a minor side effect compared to where we where at on the last bunch of med's or without med's. I am sure the tic's are frustrating for my son at times, so it is worth trying to find a med to reduce them.

I hope we can get the right regiment for him soon, it has been a trial. It also seems once you find a med that works in is only short term and then we have to go back to square one.

Thanks for the info on the med's for tic's, I will definitely bring it up in our next med eval.

Peace,

Dawn**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Our son had an issue with ABILIFY interacting with his cocktail which included Clondine at the time but he was also on buspar, so when the buspar was at the level the doctor wanted, our son literally was psychotic; my husband and I ran to the book store, read up on the meds he was on, called the next morning and found out how to get him off it safety (Abilify) and then we were off it about 4 months because having to do a new one----his behaviors / depression were off the charts; he also does aDDERRAL XR-----good luck; I would suggest you look them all up in a nursing manual; you can then sort yourself and let the doctor know what you found out, and what you believe (if you are able to come to a belief after reading / looking them up)----it takes about 3-5 minutes a med, so it is not a huge time consuming thing to do, and the doctor we work with loves it----he usually agrees with us but it really helps us to help him quicker, too....just an idea.

Good luck----meds can be tough---PS our 14 year old never 'ticked' at all until he was in treatment and on all these meds---no matter what we do now, stimulants or not, etc., he still does it now----we have had him down to 2 meds for psychological things and his two diabetic meds in the past year and he still tics now----so, we have no idea----most people do not even notice it but I do----it is his hands, and when he is nervous or uncomfortable, he nearly shakes it is soooo bad (with his hands only though)....

Ruthie

Ruthie

We have tried clonidine for a different reason, and it seemed to make him more edgy, I will ask about the tenex, we have a med eval coming up in a couple of weeks. The med's have been the difficult part of finding what works and what does not. My son was on a number of med's at the same time, he was on Adderall XR, Sertraline, Colnidine, Depakote and Abilify (I think doc was trying abilify for tics on the regimen.) this was also during the time he was having major trouble with his behavior at home and school, I was also fighting with the school during this time to have him transfer to a school that would meet his needs. Because of behaviors and trying to figure out what was going on with my son the Doc started to titrate him down from the med's. I think when the Adderall went away, this is where he was all over the place into everything and not able to focus on one thing, I mean he could have ran in to traffic because he would not slow down to see what was going on around him. He also became more aggressive, so the end result from the Doc, was to put him back on a stimulant, the Daytrana patch and Zyprexa. So of course the tic's start due to the stimulant, but I was thinking it was a minor side effect compared to where we where at on the last bunch of med's or without med's. I am sure the tic's are frustrating for my son at times, so it is worth trying to find a med to reduce them. I hope we can get the right regiment for him soon, it has been a trial. It also seems once you find a med that works in is only short term and then we have to go back to square one.Thanks for the info on the med's for tic's, I will definitely bring it up in our next med eval.Peace, Dawn**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Hang in there! Finding what works is often such a struggle. And then once you get something that works, they have a growth spurt and throw everything off again!

RoxannaAutism Happens

We have tried clonidine for a different reason, and it seemed to make him more edgy, I will ask about the tenex, we have a med eval coming up in a couple of weeks. The med's have been the difficult part of finding what works and what does not. My son was on a number of med's at the same time, he was on Adderall XR, Sertraline, Colnidine, Depakote and Abilify (I think doc was trying abilify for tics on the regimen.) this was also during the time he was having major trouble with his behavior at home and school, I was also fighting with the school during this time to have him transfer to a school that would meet his needs. Because of behaviors and trying to figure out what was going on with my son the Doc started to titrate him down from the med's. I think when the Adderall went away, this is where he was all over the place into everything and not able to focus on one thing, I mean he could have ran in to traffic because he would not slow down to see what was going on around him. He also became more aggressive, so the end result from the Doc, was to put him back on a stimulant, the Daytrana patch and Zyprexa. So of course the tic's start due to the stimulant, but I was thinking it was a minor side effect compared to where we where at on the last bunch of med's or without med's. I am sure the tic's are frustrating for my son at times, so it is worth trying to find a med to reduce them. I hope we can get the right regiment for him soon, it has been a trial. It also seems once you find a med that works in is only short term and then we have to go back to square one.Thanks for the info on the med's for tic's, I will definitely bring it up in our next med eval.Peace, Dawn**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

• 3 weeks later...

He might be a stutterer and the meds and/or increasing demands language-wise have helped it to become a big problem. I don't know if it's related to the meds or not but you should check with your doctor. Also, request a speech eval at school because they have really good strategies these days that they can teach kids to help them overcome stuttering.

My dd stuttered early on but nobody seemed to notice except me. I mean, they would admit she did stutter but not "that much." Over time, the increasing demands of school, increasing anxiety, all came together to make her stuttering worse. Finally, it was a problem that they could notice and she had ST for maybe 4 years. Anyway, all that work paid off and she does very well now.

At any rate, get a full speech evaluation and you can get an idea of what problem(s) might be causing it (if any) and possibly get therapy to help him learn to speak more fluently.

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) meds and stuttering

I have a 8 yr old with As and we started risperdal in Sept. The results have been great. He all of a sudden could read and the writing is going much better., but he seems to have picked up stuttering and trouble collecting his thoughts and communicating them. He also takes straterra. Anybody else have this experience? I'm not necessarily blaming the meds but concerned with the stuttering because it is so severe all of a sudden. \

Thanks for all the support.

Lori

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.