RemedySpot.com

Re: Therapy frustrations and questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You really have had a hard time! I have to say that I haven't gone through all of that here in NJ. When was in preschool, she couldn't sit still and was always up and running around and the two teachers could not control her at all. They suggested that I call the school board and have her tested. I did that, but they said they wouldn't test until kindergarden. I didn't know anything about early intervention. Once in Kindergarden, I was in denial. By the end of the school year, the kindergarden teacher told me that I needed to get tested, and if I didn't this year, they would make me do it when was in first grade. We lived with my mother then (who passed away at the end of kindergarden) and she kept telling me there was nothing wrong with . I definitely knew that she was hyperactive. The kindergarden teacher said that walked on her toes all the time and that would have to be looked into. I have since learned that that is a symptom of autism. Also, her motor skills were not developed. She is 15 now and still has trouble tying her shoes. But I took to a neurologist, if just to prove to everyone that there was nothing wrong with her like my mom said, but she was diagnosed with ADHD. was put on Ritalin then. The school's IEP team tested her - her IQ was very high. They agreed with the diagnosis of ADHD. They tested her for OT and speech (she used to talk out of the side of her mouth) and whatever else they test for, I can't r emember now, but it all came back that she didn't need help in any of those areas.

I put on Ritalin and I didn't tell her dance teacher. When she went to class that Saturday, the teacher came up to me and said, "I don't know what you said to her, but she was just great today!" That's when I realized that the medication was working and I was going to keep her on it.

In first grade, the teacher suggested that I bring for therapy. She suggested group therapy and really liked it! She went there all through elementary school. But when she was older, the therapist told me that it was harder to get the groups together and what group she did have was all boys and she didn't want to be the only girl.

was diagnosed with AS by a psychiatrist that we started going when she was in 5th grade. The psychiatrist recommended that we change schools and put in a self-contained special ed classroom. We did that and was so much happier! The psychiatrist put on Ritalin SR, Tenex, and she had already been on Prozac from the neurologist. But now we think the Prozac is causing problems and will be taking her off of it.

And now we are in high school, freshman year, and it's been a tough transitional year for her, but I think it is getting better.

is also in the Division of Developmental Disabilities. I took her there for their testing and she was almost not approved, but when I told the therapist that took a broom handle and made 52 holes in my ceiling, she said was in! She asked why she did that, and she said she didn't know. But the DDD is great - they said they will be there for her throughout her life. If she has trouble getting a job or living on her own, they will be there for her. They also send us a cash stipend every two years, about $500, to just go out and buy whatever we want - it can't be for food, clothing, or shelter. One year, they paid for inclusive recreation and went to Tae Kwon Do and horseback riding. I also get money every month to go towards babysitting. They told me that they really don't do too much else for the kids because they are in school - they would help get an IEP but we already have one. DDD kicks in when the kids are finished with school.

Currently, is going to a therapist once a week and that therapist is also beginning a group. She likes going but I have a hard time bringing her there because I work from 8 am until 5 pm and the classes start at 4 pm, so I have to work through my lunch and leave early. It's been tough because half of our office was laid off and it's just two of us doing everything. That means long hours at the office! I'm trying to make it work but I don't want to lose my job, either.

So, that's our story!

Deb

In a message dated 1/5/08 12:46:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, Jmoore165@... writes:

Hi,

My son was diagnosed when he was thirteen, he’s had problems all his life, the speech delay, and the inattentiveness, the school frustrations that, hindsight now has shown me were the hallmarks of Aspergers Syndrome. I have made the obligatory appointments with the developmental pediatrician and have received the lists of necessary appointments, the required readings, and the required guidance on how to attempt to get services from his school. I was given lists of counseling services and told to call, guess what, they no longer have the groups, the school doesn’t feel my son qualifies, and after finally making a appointment, I make the appointment after arguing with my son, that he really needs to go, babying my old beater car all the way over to the counseling site, I arrive there, and see the receptionist trying to hide behind the counter, then popping up to tell me that she left a message on the answering machine to tell me that the appointment was canceled, amazing, you see I don’t own a answering machine. I mention that to the receptionist only to have her repeat that she called my machine, I guess that was her story and she was sticking to it. I caught the group moderator trying to go to her car, she mentioned that they were canceling the group anyway; she offered a substitute, a anger management group. It’s ironic, my son was calm during all this, I was feeling pretty darn angry.

I mean is this just me, my side of Houston, Texas, or is this everywhere, they tell us to get our children help, and it’s no where to be found, and when you do find it, it’s a job just getting your child on the list. I’ve never been a patient person, in fact, I believe that my nature is kindly described as “I don’t suffer fools lightlyâ€, for my son’s sake, I’ve learned to smile now and scream later.

Any tips, groups, or just plain idea’s, my son’s a good kid, and I don’t want to mess up his chances later on in life by not finding him his help.

Debbie Salerno

Maine Coon Rescue

Board Member

DNA Manager

Eastern Regional Director

Vice President

www.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

http://www.animalrescuelinks.org

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489