RemedySpot.com

Re: allowance thing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Patti---that is soooooo AWESOME-----that is basically what we are doing with our son, too (the 14 year old)---he is choosing to use it to walk to the local coffee shop 1-2 days a week, and often eats with his waiver workers or something; and, we just bought a house yesterday (actually) and are moving, so he knows that the money he has is it; he can use it how he wants but that is it.....he can earn it OR HAVE NO MONEY when he wants some; he has bought a basketball with his worker before (he did not need another one but it was HIS money-----)---we are hearing "it OOOONNNNNLLLYYY costs 50 bucks, 200 bucks," etc. A WHOLE LOT LESS......so let us hope it is working for us, too....we can always hope----at least our kiddos both have burnt pockets (LOL).....

Ruthie

( ) allowance thing

I also started an allowance because my son wanted everything, all the time. I'd tell him money doesn't grow on trees, buy ya know how well that went over. haha So with an allowance I thought it might help him to appreciate money and realize money is not free, in the real world you have to work to receive it. And it has helped because now if he has spent all his monies and he wants something while we are at the store, I ask him "well do you have any money"? And if he doesn't, then he doesn't get whatever it is he wants. I'm hoping it will teach him a lesson on how to handle money. Money burns a hole in his pocket though, he can however save up for something he wants, even if it's over $200. So he has the gest of it, I hope. haha Who knows.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Exactly how much do you think is an appropriate allowance? My son is 10. I've done allowance in the past (a quarter per chore each day added up) but he still doesn't want to do the chores. We're going to be moving in a few months and I was thinking of putting a "chore list" up for ALL of us that could be initialled when completed and earn money. Just wondering how much is appropriate and what other's "set plan" is for chores/allowance.Patti Journey <pjpoo78363@...> wrote: I also started an allowance because my son wanted everything, all the time. I'd tell him money doesn't grow on trees, buy ya know how well that went over. haha So with an allowance I thought it might help him to appreciate money and realize money is not free, in the real world you have to work to receive it. And it has helped because now if he has spent all his monies and he wants something while we are at the store, I ask him "well do you have any money"? And if he doesn't, then he doesn't get whatever it is he wants. I'm hoping it will teach him a lesson on how to handle money. Money burns a hole in his pocket though, he can however save up for something he wants, even if it's over $200. So he has the gest of it, I hope. haha Who knows. Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

Something that has worked well for us when

there are a lot of things that need to be done is “the bowl”  I

make a list of everything that needs to be done and cutting it apart and

putting it in a bowl.  In another bowl I put a list of rewards, also cut

apart.  They do a task then get to draw out of the reward bowl.  I have also

done it where they are all in the same bowl.  Some of them will be money,

another may be ice cream, choose what is for dinner,  afternoon of running errands

with mom (usually includes lunch),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:52 AM

Subject: Re: ( )

allowance thing

Exactly

how much do you think is an appropriate allowance? My son is 10. I've done

allowance in the past (a quarter per chore each day added up) but he still

doesn't want to do the chores. We're going to be moving in a few months

and I was thinking of putting a " chore list " up for ALL of us that could be initialled when completed

and earn money. Just wondering how much is appropriate and what other's

" set plan " is for chores/allowance.

Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 >

wrote:

I also started an allowance because my son wanted everything, all the

time. I'd tell him money doesn't grow on trees, buy ya know how

well that went over. haha So with an allowance I thought it might

help him to appreciate money and realize money is not free, in the real world

you have to work to receive it. And it has helped because now if he has

spent all his monies and he wants something while we are at the store, I ask

him " well do you have any money " ? And if he doesn't, then he

doesn't get whatever it is he wants. I'm hoping it will teach him a

lesson on how to handle money. Money burns a hole in his pocket though,

he can however save up for something he wants, even if it's over $200. So

he has the gest of it, I hope. haha Who knows.

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

That is a COOL idea......I would have to hide the bowls, or jobs would 'disappear' because my kids would not want to do them......etc. So, that is just a great idea, though. Ruthie Dolezal

RE: ( ) allowance thing

Something that has worked well for us when there are a lot of things that need to be done is "the bowl" I make a list of everything that needs to be done and cutting it apart and putting it in a bowl. In another bowl I put a list of rewards, also cut apart. They do a task then get to draw out of the reward bowl. I have also done it where they are all in the same bowl. Some of them will be money, another may be ice cream, choose what is for dinner, afternoon of running errands with mom (usually includes lunch),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of EssenfeldSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:52 AM Subject: Re: ( ) allowance thing

Exactly how much do you think is an appropriate allowance? My son is 10. I've done allowance in the past (a quarter per chore each day added up) but he still doesn't want to do the chores. We're going to be moving in a few months and I was thinking of putting a "chore list" up for ALL of us that could be initialled when completed and earn money. Just wondering how much is appropriate and what other's "set plan" is for chores/allowance.Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:

I also started an allowance because my son wanted everything, all the time. I'd tell him money doesn't grow on trees, buy ya know how well that went over. haha So with an allowance I thought it might help him to appreciate money and realize money is not free, in the real world you have to work to receive it. And it has helped because now if he has spent all his monies and he wants something while we are at the store, I ask him "well do you have any money"? And if he doesn't, then he doesn't get whatever it is he wants. I'm hoping it will teach him a lesson on how to handle money. Money burns a hole in his pocket though, he can however save up for something he wants, even if it's over $200. So he has the gest of it, I hope. haha Who knows.

Hi, I'm Jerri. I haven't been very vocal, but , wow! what a neat idea! I'm gonna try that.I usually have a list of things that need done and my daughter and I debate who does what. Once we agree, we write a contract. .We both sign it so neither can say "uh-uh you didn't say I had to do that ", or "You did what I was going to do. " I would sometimes sweeten the project with when you finish____, we will go for a walk/drive/play a board game/something else fun together. Together things provide the most incintives.BRYAN DOLEZAL <DOLEZAL123@...> wrote: That is a COOL idea......I would have to hide the bowls, or jobs would 'disappear' because my kids would not want to do them......etc. So, that is just a great idea, though. Ruthie Dolezal RE: ( ) allowance thing Something that has worked well for us when there are a lot of things that need to be done is "the bowl" I make a list of everything that needs to be done and cutting it apart and putting it in a bowl. In another bowl I put a list of rewards, also cut apart. They do a task then get to draw out of the reward bowl. I have also done it where they are all in the same bowl. Some of them will be money, another may be ice cream, choose what is for dinner, afternoon of running errands with mom (usually includes lunch),,,,,,,,,,,,,,, From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of EssenfeldSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:52 AM Subject: Re: ( ) allowance thing Exactly how much do you think is an appropriate allowance? My son is 10. I've done allowance in the past (a quarter per chore each day added up) but he still doesn't want to do the chores. We're going to be moving in a few months and I was thinking of putting a "chore list" up for ALL of us that could be initialled when completed and earn money. Just wondering how much is appropriate and what other's "set plan" is for chores/allowance.Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:

I also started an allowance because my son wanted everything, all the time. I'd tell him money doesn't grow on trees, buy ya know how well that went over. haha So with an allowance I thought it might help him to appreciate money and realize money is not free, in the real world you have to work to receive it. And it has helped because now if he has spent all his monies and he wants something while we are at the store, I ask him "well do you have any money"? And if he doesn't, then he doesn't get whatever it is he wants. I'm hoping it will teach him a lesson on how to handle money. Money burns a hole in his pocket though, he can however save up for something he wants, even if it's over $200. So he has the gest of

it, I hope. haha Who knows. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I give my son $20 every 2 weeks. This way it is enough for him to get something he likes or needs. Sometimes if he needs more and he has been really helpful and hasn't complained about it, I will give him extra to cover the cost of a game or something. But I don't let him take advantage of me, I know when to say no. But I like to make him happy when I can. Because he is a pretty good kiddo, and life is so hard for him at times.

Re: ( ) allowance thing

Exactly how much do you think is an appropriate allowance? My son is 10. I've done allowance in the past (a quarter per chore each day added up) but he still doesn't want to do the chores. We're going to be moving in a few months and I was thinking of putting a "chore list" up for ALL of us that could be initialled when completed and earn money. Just wondering how much is appropriate and what other's "set plan" is for chores/allowance.Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 (DOT) com> wrote: