RemedySpot.com

Re: OT: Computer Problems/Brag time

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You might check with a local computer repair place. We have a nice one in our town. They do charge $75 to look and tell you what's wrong. But if you have them fix it, it gets figured into that. My ds's computer died right before Xmas and they did an "autopsy" and determined that it was not going to be revived.

Here is the brag alert: My ds, 19 yo and got on the honor roll in his computer classes at the career center (not done bragging yet) ordered parts and put together his own new computer. He bought everything on his own - the guts, the case, everything. Then he also set it up to run. He transferred his stuff over and needed a new code from Microsoft - so he (sit down while reading this part) used the phone to call them and get the code. And he got it and installed it and it all works great. whew, done bragging. <GG>

I swear, we would have never bet money on how well he is doing now and I hesitate to speak too loudly, lest the autism gods hear me brag and strike back. lol. But dang it, it's the first time he has ever been successful at anything his whole life. So we are so excited for him!

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) OT: Computer Problems

Hi, Robin!I spoke to them but they wouldn't help me over the phone and they said to bring it in and run diagnositics would cost me between $150 and $200. I didn't want to pay that much when the new computers were $340 and $440. But when I went in to purchase one of these, they were out of stock. I'll have to go back at a later time. This old computer has been doing ok for e-mails but it is very difficult to get onto the internet. I've only been able to get on one time and that was today.Happy New Year!DebIn a message dated 12/31/07 12:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrisjs writes:

I'm getting this later,,,,,,,,but do you have a "Geek Squad" near you? We've dealt with them off and on.The last time we did, they suggested that since our "old" computer was 5 yrs old, that it may be time for a new one,,,,since when you add up all the "improvements" that we could have put into it would be darned close to a new one.....Anyway,,,,I'd maybe undo the "tower" and take it in.Lots of places will check it out for a minimal fee.Good luck.RobinDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

BRAG away baby!!! I love it!! In my son's special Ed class.. We take all kinds of equipment apart..

Its fun and great fine motor control too!Hopefully these pre teens will be as good as your boy one day!!!

-- Re: ( ) OT: Computer Problems/Brag time

You might check with a local computer repair place. We have a nice one in our town. They do charge $75 to look and tell you what's wrong. But if you have them fix it, it gets figured into that. My ds's computer died right before Xmas and they did an "autopsy" and determined that it was not going to be revived.

Here is the brag alert: My ds, 19 yo and got on the honor roll in his computer classes at the career center (not done bragging yet) ordered parts and put together his own new computer. He bought everything on his own - the guts, the case, everything. Then he also set it up to run. He transferred his stuff over and needed a new code from Microsoft - so he (sit down while reading this part) used the phone to call them and get the code. And he got it and installed it and it all works great. whew, done bragging. <GG>

I swear, we would have never bet money on how well he is doing now and I hesitate to speak too loudly, lest the autism gods hear me brag and strike back. lol. But dang it, it's the first time he has ever been successful at anything his whole life. So we are so excited for him!

RoxannaAutism Happens

Hi, Robin!I spoke to them but they wouldn't help me over the phone and they said to bring it in and run diagnositics would cost me between $150 and $200. I didn't want to pay that much when the new computers were $340 and $440. But when I went in to purchase one of these, they were out of stock. I'll have to go back at a later time. This old computer has been doing ok for e-mails but it is very difficult to get onto the internet. I've only been able to get on one time and that was today.Happy New Year!DebIn a message dated 12/31/07 12:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrisjs writes:

I'm getting this later,,,,,,,,but do you have a "Geek Squad" near you? We've dealt with them off and on.The last time we did, they suggested that since our "old" computer was 5 yrs old, that it may be time for a new one,,,,since when you add up all the "improvements" that we could have put into it would be darned close to a new one.....Anyway,,,,I'd maybe undo the "tower" and take it in.Lots of places will check it out for a minimal fee.Good luck.RobinDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: You might check with a local computer repair place. We have a nice one in our town. They do charge $75 to look and tell you what's wrong. But if you have them fix it, it gets figured into that. My ds's computer died right before Xmas and they did an "autopsy" and determined that it was not going to be revived. Here is the brag alert: My ds, 19 yo and got on the honor roll in his computer classes at the career center (not done bragging yet) ordered parts and put together his own new computer. He bought everything on his own - the guts, the case, everything. Then he also set it up to run. He transferred his stuff over and needed a new code from Microsoft - so he (sit down while reading this part) used the phone to call them and get the code. And he got it and installed it and it all works great. whew, done bragging. <GG> I swear, we would have never bet money on how well he is doing now and I hesitate to speak too loudly, lest the autism gods hear me brag and strike back. lol. But dang

it, it's the first time he has ever been successful at anything his whole life. So we are so excited for him! RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) OT: Computer Problems Hi, Robin!I spoke to them but they wouldn't help me over the phone and they said to bring it in and run diagnositics would cost me between $150 and $200. I didn't want to pay that much when the new computers were $340 and $440. But when I went in to purchase one of these, they were out of stock. I'll have to go back at a later time. This old computer has been doing ok for e-mails but it is very difficult to get onto the internet. I've only been able to get on one time and that was today.Happy New Year!DebIn a message dated 12/31/07 12:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrisjs writes: I'm

getting this later,,,,,,,,but do you have a "Geek Squad" near you? We've dealt with them off and on.The last time we did, they suggested that since our "old" computer was 5 yrs old, that it may be time for a new one,,,,since when you add up all the "improvements" that we could have put into it would be darned close to a new one.....Anyway,,,,I'd maybe undo the "tower" and take it in.Lots of places will check it out for a minimal fee.Good luck.RobinDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes

(http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

WOW!!! That's super, Roxanna. I'm just so happy for you - and for him. He must feel so proud of himself for getting the computer ordered and put together like that. (I know what a job that is. We tried that here and wound up exporting the job to a consultant!) And I also want to commend him on the PHONE use! I know exactly how hard that can be for our kids. All in all, EXCELLENT WORK!!LizOn Jan 7, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Roxanna wrote:You might check with a local computer repair place. We have a nice one in our town. They do charge $75 to look and tell you what's wrong. But if you have them fix it, it gets figured into that. My ds's computer died right before Xmas and they did an "autopsy" and determined that it was not going to be revived. Here is the brag alert: My ds, 19 yo and got on the honor roll in his computer classes at the career center (not done bragging yet) ordered parts and put together his own new computer. He bought everything on his own - the guts, the case, everything. Then he also set it up to run. He transferred his stuff over and needed a new code from Microsoft - so he (sit down while reading this part) used the phone to call them and get the code. And he got it and installed it and it all works great. whew, done bragging. <GG> I swear, we would have never bet money on how well he is doing now and I hesitate to speak too loudly, lest the autism gods hear me brag and strike back. lol. But dang it, it's the first time he has ever been successful at anything his whole life. So we are so excited for him! RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) OT: Computer ProblemsHi, Robin!I spoke to them but they wouldn't help me over the phone and they said to bring it in and run diagnositics would cost me between $150 and $200. I didn't want to pay that much when the new computers were $340 and $440. But when I went in to purchase one of these, they were out of stock. I'll have to go back at a later time. This old computer has been doing ok for e-mails but it is very difficult to get onto the internet. I've only been able to get on one time and that was today.Happy New Year!DebIn a message dated 12/31/07 12:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrisjs writes:I'm getting this later,,,,,,,,but do you have a "Geek Squad" near you? We've dealt with them off and on.The last time we did, they suggested that since our "old" computer was 5 yrs old, that it may be time for a new one,,,,since when you add up all the "improvements" that we could have put into it would be darned close to a new one.....Anyway,,,,I'd maybe undo the "tower" and take it in.Lots of places will check it out for a minimal fee.Good luck.RobinDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004)

I am soooooooo happy for your son and you TOO, Roxanna! Isn't it nice to get to toot your own horn for a change??? It IS exciting when our children do something on their own. And, amazingly, it is the little things; I am excited just because my son is in the shower right as I type and without me asking; that gets me to the next time when something great happens.....but, your son's accomplishments are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE!!! AND, what a BIG JOB!!!! (I have a computer that the little place you hook in to with your power cord, that is going bad (we thought it was the power cord)----is that fixable??? Ask the expert.....

Oh my gosh....a business for your son.....a web page, ASK THE EXPERT computer geek (or something more exciting)----a small fee, and now he has a job, too.....just an idea........sorry, I just thought of that........

Ruthie

Roxanna, How proud you must be for your son! I'm proud too! Every time our children succeed it is a time for cellebration. Keep heart. You are blessed. Jerri. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: YIPPEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Roxanna <madideaszoominternet (DOT) net> wrote: You might check with a local

computer repair place. We have a nice one in our town. They do charge $75 to look and tell you what's wrong. But if you have them fix it, it gets figured into that. My ds's computer died right before Xmas and they did an "autopsy" and determined that it was not going to be revived. Here is the brag alert: My ds, 19 yo and got on the honor roll in his computer classes at the career center (not done bragging yet) ordered parts and put together his own new computer. He bought everything on his own - the guts, the case, everything. Then he also set it up to run. He transferred his stuff over and needed a new code from Microsoft - so he (sit down while reading this part) used the phone to call them and get the code. And he got it and installed it and it all works

great. whew, done bragging. <GG> I swear, we would have never bet money on how well he is doing now and I hesitate to speak too loudly, lest the autism gods hear me brag and strike back. lol. But dang it, it's the first time he has ever been successful at anything his whole life. So we are so excited for him! RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) OT: Computer Problems Hi, Robin!I spoke to them but they wouldn't help me over the phone and they said to bring it in and run diagnositics would cost me between $150 and $200. I didn't want to pay that much when the new computers were $340 and $440. But when I went in to purchase one of these, they were out of stock. I'll have to go back at a later time. This old computer has been doing ok for e-mails but it is very difficult to get onto the internet. I've only been able to get on one time

and that was today.Happy New Year!DebIn a message dated 12/31/07 12:35:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, jrisjs writes: I'm getting this later,,,,,,,,but do you have a "Geek Squad" near you? We've dealt with them off and on.The last time we did, they suggested that since our "old" computer was 5 yrs old, that it may be time for a new one,,,,since when you add up all the "improvements" that we could have put into it would be darned close to a new one.....Anyway,,,,I'd maybe undo the "tower" and take it in.Lots of places will check it out for a minimal fee.Good luck.RobinDebbie SalernoMaine Coon RescueBoard MemberDNA ManagerEastern Regional DirectorVice Presidentwww.mainecoonrescue.com ~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.- Ralph Waldo Emerson~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**************************************See AOL's top rated recipes (http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004) Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Roxanna, congrats. I know exactly what you are saying about one up, one down (so to speak). Pam :)Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Thank you sooooo much Roxanna----I will have my husband get EVERYTHING off of here, and I will just buy a new computer, as I am sure, at this point, it is not worth paying $400-600 to get this one fixed.....and to have it happen again. AND, yet, it is a Dell---2 1/2 years old---top of the line about $3000 when I bought it (as I use it for my business, too)----it IS getting worse, so I will have him get everything off before it is too late!! Thanks for the advise....

Ruthie

Wow, something awful about the design in some of the dells and they do not want to admit fault either. I searched online at the time and there were a lot of people with the same computer and having the same exact problem as I was having. I would definitely recommend you get a different computer because who knows how long a repair will last. I gave up too. It is really frustrating.

RoxannaAutism Happens

lol, I am just relieved that it is working that way. When things go wrong for both boys at once, I tend to get a little crazy. <g> At least now it is a balancing act.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) OT: Computer Problems/Brag time

Roxanna, congrats. I know exactly what you are saying about one up, one down (so to speak). Pam :)

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

That's fantastic, Roxana! I wish I could do that....

I'm still using the old computer - still frustrated! But hopefully will get tax refund soon and brand new computer soon! I can still send my newer one out to get fixed and use that as a spare, I guess.

Deb

In a message dated 1/7/08 11:24:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, madideas@... writes:

Roxanna

Autism Happens

Debbie Salerno

Maine Coon Rescue

Board Member

DNA Manager

Eastern Regional Director

Vice President

www.mainecoonrescue.com

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~

http://www.animalrescuelinks.org

**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489