RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Getting our children to do things around the house

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now.LizOn Jan 6, 2008, at 1:07 AM, motherbird11 wrote:> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>getting our children to contribute to doing things around the house is tricky. <snip> If you tell her to clean the living room, she will be lost. If you tell her to pick up the papers, sweaters, fold the throw and put it on the back of the couch, dust, and vacuume, you may get somewhere. But you can't tell her all these steps at once or she will be overwhelmed and melt down. No more than two or three directions at a time. And you may have to work up to that. If she needs special motivation, I will tell her to do this and this and this and then we will go for a walk together, or feed the wild birds or, go for a drive or something else away from "work" thats fun. But when ever we do something "fun" ,we are not allowed to bring up "work, or school, or homework" or the fun thing is no longer a motivation.

Thanks Lix, for the good idea. Betty Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now. Liz On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:07 AM, motherbird11 wrote: > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>getting our children to contribute to doing things around the house is tricky. <snip> If you tell her to clean the living room, she will be lost. If you tell her to pick up the papers, sweaters, fold the throw and put it on the back of the couch, dust, and vacuume, you may get somewhere. But you can't tell her all these steps at once or she will be overwhelmed and melt down. No more than two or three directions at a time. And you may have to work up to that. If

she needs special motivation, I will tell her to do this and this and this and then we will go for a walk together, or feed the wild birds or, go for a drive or something else away from "work" thats fun. But when ever we do something "fun" ,we are not allowed to bring up "work, or school, or homework" or the fun thing is no longer a motivation.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I love your organization! You've inspired me...

Re: ( ) Re: Getting our children to do things around the house

I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now.

Liz

On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:07 AM, motherbird11 wrote:

> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. / ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ>getting our children to contribute to doing things around the house is tricky. <snip> If you tell her to clean the living room, she will be lost. If you tell her to pick up the papers, sweaters, fold the throw and put it on the back of the couch, dust, and vacuume, you may get somewhere. But you can't tell her all these steps at once or

she will be overwhelmed and melt down. No more than two or three directions at a time. And you may have to work up to that. If she needs special motivation, I will tell her to do this and this and this and then we will go for a walk together, or feed the wild birds or, go for a drive or something else away from "work" thats fun. But when ever we do something "fun" ,we are not allowed to bring up "work, or school, or homework" or the fun thing is no longer a motivation.

That is a wonderful idea. I gave up trying to get my now 19 yo, hfa, to clean up anything. He walked into a room and things fell off the walls in fear. He just destroyed everything he touched. Now that I look back and know what I know now, I can see a lot of problems with fine motor, large motor, sense of touch, organization, etc. I am writing to say that he does pretty good now. He keeps his stuff pristine now - imagine that. He gets upset if one of his siblings messes up the "BOX" his stuff comes in. This is the same kid who could not find the floor his whole life. I don't know what happened or when. It just did.

Now I struggle with the younger one 11 yo, hfa. He is told to do anything and he falls over limp. lol.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) Re: Getting our children to do things around the house

I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now.

Liz

On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:07 AM, motherbird11 wrote:

> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>getting our children to contribute to doing things around the house is tricky. <snip> If you tell her to clean the living room, she will be lost. If you tell her to pick up the papers, sweaters, fold the throw and put it on the back of the couch, dust, and vacuume, you may get somewhere. But you can't tell her all these steps at once or she will be overwhelmed and melt down. No more than two or three directions at a time. And you may have to work up to that. If she needs special motivation, I will tell her to do this and this and this and then we will go for a walk together, or feed the wild birds or, go for a drive or something else away from "work" thats fun. But when ever we do something "fun" ,we are not allowed to bring up "work, or school, or homework" or the fun thing is no longer a motivation.

That's a great idea! Anyone know of a website where I can just print out a checklist already made rather than making them all myself?Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now. Liz On Jan 6, 2008, at 1:07 AM, motherbird11 wrote: > Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>getting our children to contribute to doing things around the house is tricky. <snip> If you tell her to clean the living room, she will be lost. If you tell her to pick up the papers, sweaters, fold the throw and put it on the back of the couch, dust, and vacuume, you may get somewhere. But you can't tell her all these steps at once or she will be overwhelmed and melt down. No more than two or three directions at a time. And you may have to work up to that.

If she needs special motivation, I will tell her to do this and this and this and then we will go for a walk together, or feed the wild birds or, go for a drive or something else away from "work" thats fun. But when ever we do something "fun" ,we are not allowed to bring up "work, or school, or homework" or the fun thing is no longer a motivation.

,I make my own, but here's one that looks pretty easy to customize. You could put one step on each line. One chore per page.http://www.handipoints.com/printable_chore_charts/chore_chart.htmlLizOn Jan 7, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Essenfeld wrote:That's a great idea! Anyone know of a website where I can just print out a checklist already made rather than making them all myself?Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote:I have a bunch of illustrated checklists that give step by step instructions on how to clean the kitchen, how to clean the bathroom, and how to clean the dining room. Ds does one step at a time, then checks it off. It works well for us. When he says he's done, I ask him to check his list, and ask if all items are checked off. He's a pro at cleaning the kitchen now.Liz

I loved handipoints this summer!! It took some time to setup but it was worth it.

trish

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Liz BohnSent: Monday, January 07, 2008 7:21 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Re: Getting our children to do things around the house

I make my own, but here's one that looks pretty easy to customize. You could put one step on each line. One chore per page.

http://www.handipoints.com/printable_chore_charts/chore_chart.html

Liz

On Jan 7, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Essenfeld wrote:

That's a great idea! Anyone know of a website where I can just print out a checklist already made rather than making them all myself?Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote:

Liz