RemedySpot.com

Re: Summer and older kids??? What do you do??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My dad (Dylan's grandfather) is a school teacher so he helps out signficantly with Dylan during summers and holidays. He still goes to one-week camps here and there, but the majority of his time is spent with my dad or here at home (I work from home most days of the week.) Dylan isn't one to get in trouble so I don't worry about leaving him here alone, but I do know he'll spend a bunch of time playing video games and I don't like that so we have to have some sort of adult with him at least part of the time. I wonder if there might be a school teacher in your area who would be willing to spend a few hours each day with your son (and be paid, of course) to break up his day so he's not at home by himself the entire day? The school teacher would get some pocket money and you

could get care. Might be worth asking around your son's school?

( ) Summer and older kids??? What do you do??

What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm.

And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do?

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Hello , I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc.. its not for the whole day, but something for all kids to do. Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the kids to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun. and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis, etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out. The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do that? or, Would he like to put up fliers to mow lawns, and make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on

vacation?. I don't know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home alone for a few hours. I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would like are very expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post. You are very smart to start looking now because whatever is available fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply. good luck Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5@...> wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than

anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

We have a YMCA that has a day camp for teens also. It is called the "teen zone". It is somewhat reasonable to purchase for the 5-day week vs. say 3 single days. (3 single days are about as expensive as the 5-day week) Also, maybe connect with your local college and see of any of the Psych. Ed. students may want a "nanny" type summer job? Some other person was talking about collecting SSI-Disability income for their child. I guess if the 13 y/o qualifies, it may be worth collecting the SSI so that you can pay for some of the added costs. Which, got me thinking .... b/c all the additional therapies are NOT going to be cheap - especially since I've recently quit my job (before the Dx. of my ds). Wish you the best! J. Bonnett <zoemakes5@...> wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or

end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

,We've done lots of things over the summer. Usually, after age 12, we did ESY, poor thing. ESY stands for "Extended School Year," and it was part of 's IEP. He wasn't in any danger of forgetting what he learned during the year, but everybody in his special needs program stayed for the summer, so he did, too. We sent him to YMCA camp for a week one year (not too successful - counselors were too young and inexperienced)We had him take private swimming lessons one summer - high school (WONDERFUL! His coach was a middle school guidance counselor during the school year and was great with him)He did several weeks of science workshops at UCSD (Univ. of California) They run them at lots of universities. Those were pretty good.We sent him to baseball camp one summer, where the emphasis was on trying your best, rather than on hitting home runs. This went pretty well. The coach was great. Didn't lead to any great love of baseball, however.We sent him to sleep away chess camp for a week after his junior year in high school. After a rocky first night, he actually liked this. He called it "nerd heaven."When he was younger, he did swimming lessons every day, and swam with the neighborhood kids in our pool.That's all I can think of at the moment.LizOn Jan 7, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Bonnett wrote:What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, c ost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Hello and Rose, Summer is a tough time to keep kids occupied but an occupied kid is a happy kid. I have found that your city's Parks and Recreation Department is a good bet that you can find summer programs. They have anything from learn to swim classes to daycamps of several different genres or overnight camps ect. I have had my AS daughter take a drama class, a dance class , an art class, a learn to swim program, and sometimes they just have supervised play groups for different age groups. Now that she's 17, she wants to vollunteer for the parks and recreation service, maybe clean-up a park on a weekend. Also, I have sent her to church camp twice on a scholarship which she helped to earn by working at the church yard sale. Maybe you could call some local churches to see what they offer. She went to Girl Scout camp one year too. She loved the activities, but the girls were cruel to her. She wanted to crash early, but they kept her awake.

Hope this gives you some Ideas. Jerri.Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote: Hello , I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc.. its not for the whole day, but something for all kids to do. Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the kids

to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun. and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis, etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out. The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do that? or, Would he like to put up fliers to mow lawns, and make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on vacation?. I don't know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home alone for a few hours. I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would like are very expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post. You are very smart to start looking now

because whatever is available fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply. good luck Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5 > wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would

be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Jerri, Yes, When we lived in NYC the parks had so much to offer. I have to check that out here where we are living now. I didn't think of looking into the Parks because they are always "empty" lol. Nothing like the big apple. My son would love a Drama class. Great idea !!! RoseJerri Caspillo <motherbird11@...> wrote: Hello and Rose, Summer is a tough time to keep kids occupied but an occupied kid is a happy kid. I

have found that your city's Parks and Recreation Department is a good bet that you can find summer programs. They have anything from learn to swim classes to daycamps of several different genres or overnight camps ect. I have had my AS daughter take a drama class, a dance class , an art class, a learn to swim program, and sometimes they just have supervised play groups for different age groups. Now that she's 17, she wants to vollunteer for the parks and recreation service, maybe clean-up a park on a weekend. Also, I have sent her to church camp twice on a scholarship which she helped to earn by working at the church yard sale. Maybe you could call some local churches to see what they offer. She went to Girl Scout camp one year too. She loved the activities, but the girls were cruel to her. She wanted to crash early, but they kept her awake. Hope this gives you some Ideas. Jerri.Rose <beachbodytan2002 >

wrote: Hello , I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc.. its not for the whole day, but something for all kids to do. Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the kids to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun. and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis, etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out. The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do

that? or, Would he like to put up fliers to mow lawns, and make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on vacation?. I don't know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home alone for a few hours. I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would like are very expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post. You are very smart to start looking now because whatever is available fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply. good luck Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5 > wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the

summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore

for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

The trouble I have with alot of the suggestions, (which I thank everyone for!) is that many of them, such as the park and rec or school district, typically stop at a certain age (often end of elementary school), or at least that's my experience, AND they only run a couple of hours during the day and are almost impossible to deal with as far as getting my son to and from. Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote: Jerri, Yes, When we lived in NYC the parks had so much to offer. I have to check that out here where we are

living now. I didn't think of looking into the Parks because they are always "empty" lol. Nothing like the big apple. My son would love a Drama class. Great idea !!! RoseJerri Caspillo <motherbird11 > wrote: Hello and Rose, Summer is a tough time to keep kids occupied but an occupied kid is a happy kid. I have found that your city's Parks and Recreation Department is a good bet that you can find summer programs. They have anything from learn to swim classes to daycamps of several different genres or overnight camps ect. I have had my AS daughter take a drama class, a dance class , an art class, a learn to swim program, and sometimes they just have supervised play groups for different age groups. Now that she's 17, she

wants to vollunteer for the parks and recreation service, maybe clean-up a park on a weekend. Also, I have sent her to church camp twice on a scholarship which she helped to earn by working at the church yard sale. Maybe you could call some local churches to see what they offer. She went to Girl Scout camp one year too. She loved the activities, but the girls were cruel to her. She wanted to crash early, but they kept her awake. Hope this gives you some Ideas. Jerri.Rose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Hello , I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc.. its not for the

whole day, but something for all kids to do. Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the kids to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun. and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis, etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out. The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do that? or, Would he like to put up fliers to mow lawns, and make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on vacation?. I don't know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home alone for a few hours. I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would

like are very expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post. You are very smart to start looking now because whatever is available fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply. good luck Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5 > wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that

we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all

do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

– One suggestion might be

to hire a teenager with a driver’s license. They could then take your

child swimming, bowling, laser tag, to the park, to a museum, etc. Maybe they

wouldn’t need to come until mid-morning or by lunchtime if your child is

a late sleeper in the summer.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Bonnett

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

6:09 PM

To:

Subject: Re: ( )

Summer and older kids??? What do you do??

The

trouble I have with alot of the suggestions, (which I thank everyone for!) is

that many of them, such as the park and rec or school district, typically stop

at a certain age (often end of elementary school), or at least that's my

experience, AND they only run a couple of hours during the day and are almost

impossible to deal with as far as getting my son to and from.

Rose

<beachbodytan2002 > wrote:

Jerri,

Yes, When we lived in NYC the parks had so much to offer. I have

to check that out here where we are living now. I didn't think of

looking into the Parks because they are always " empty " lol.

Nothing like the big apple. My son would love a Drama class.

Great idea !!! Rose

Jerri Caspillo

<motherbird11 > wrote:

Hello and Rose,

Summer is a tough time to keep kids occupied but an occupied kid is a

happy kid. I have found that your city's Parks and Recreation Department is a

good bet that you can find summer programs. They have anything from learn to

swim classes to daycamps of several different genres or overnight camps

ect. I have had my AS daughter take a drama class, a dance class , an art

class, a learn to swim program, and sometimes they just have supervised play

groups for different age groups. Now that she's 17, she wants to vollunteer for

the parks and recreation service, maybe clean-up a park on a weekend. Also, I

have sent her to church camp twice on a scholarship which she helped to earn by

working at the church yard sale. Maybe you could call some local churches to

see what they offer. She went to Girl Scout camp one year too. She loved the

activities, but the girls were cruel to her. She wanted to crash early, but

they kept her awake. Hope this gives you some Ideas.

Jerri.

Rose <beachbodytan2002 >

wrote:

Hello ,

I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school

programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live

have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc..

its not for the whole day, but something for all kids to do.

Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the

kids to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun.

and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis,

etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out.

The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask

for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do

that? or, Would he like to put up fliers to mow lawns, and

make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on vacation?. I don't

know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home

alone for a few hours.

I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I

don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would like are very

expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post.

You are very smart to start looking now because whatever is available

fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply.

good luck

Rose

Bonnett

<zoemakes5 > wrote:

What do you all do with

your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year

old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly

" normal " , my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or

even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even

most) of the summer is out of the question.

However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are

as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is

that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc,

are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not

impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort

zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of

days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But,

year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm.

And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child

care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very

expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into?

Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for

the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't

something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer.

What do you all do?

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find

them fast with Search.

them fast with Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try

it now.

them fast with Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try

it now.

, with that said. do you think your son is ready for a job? I'm trying to relate with you because I also believe in keeping kids busy for the summer. (out of trouble). My son is 10. He is not ready to be left alone due to him not making good choices, not responsible, no fear of danger nor would recognize it. However, with his sister, a year younger, I'll trust her judgment/responsibility with watching another child for a few hours. Others have asked her to watch their children while the parents work in the yard. She also watches over her brother when riding their bikes and crossing a street or reminding him to act right when over someones home. She is pretty mature. So, for my son, if he were to get a job mowing lawns, I would have to be there to supervise him. Also, if he were to go away for camp. I would have to have supervision for him. However, he is so good in

academics, and putting things together. (lawn equipment, appliances, etc..) but as far as life skills, social skills, organization, and safety issues, this holds him back. I don't work, so with managing a "strict budget" I can take him places and supervise. do you have respite where you are? or an autism organization that can send him to a camp that is familiar with AS?. maybe something at the ARC center? If your son is more advanced than that, than maybe a part time job with a part time camp. This way, the 1/2 day camp is not that expensive and the other half he is busy working. Ice cream places usually hire teenagers. Maybe there are others that can post jobs that their teens have done in the past. I know the ASPCA seems to ask for help too. Does any of this sound like its in the right direction for you? if not, give us some ideas of what you have in mind, and maybe someone can help

out. Yes, the summer is very important to keep all kids busy, and we need to apply now for camps and most activities. they fill up so fast if not already filled. Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5@...> wrote: The trouble I have with alot of the suggestions, (which I thank everyone for!) is that many of them, such as the park and rec or school district, typically stop at a certain age (often end of elementary school), or at least that's my experience, AND they only run a couple of hours during the day and

are almost impossible to deal with as far as getting my son to and from. Rose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Jerri, Yes, When we lived in NYC the parks had so much to offer. I have to check that out here where we are living now. I didn't think of looking into the Parks because they are always "empty" lol. Nothing like the big apple. My son would love a Drama class. Great idea !!! RoseJerri Caspillo <motherbird11 > wrote: Hello and Rose, Summer is a tough time to keep kids occupied but an occupied kid is a happy kid. I have found that your city's Parks and

Recreation Department is a good bet that you can find summer programs. They have anything from learn to swim classes to daycamps of several different genres or overnight camps ect. I have had my AS daughter take a drama class, a dance class , an art class, a learn to swim program, and sometimes they just have supervised play groups for different age groups. Now that she's 17, she wants to vollunteer for the parks and recreation service, maybe clean-up a park on a weekend. Also, I have sent her to church camp twice on a scholarship which she helped to earn by working at the church yard sale. Maybe you could call some local churches to see what they offer. She went to Girl Scout camp one year too. She loved the activities, but the girls were cruel to her. She wanted to crash early, but they kept her awake. Hope this gives you some Ideas. Jerri.Rose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Hello , I hope something here helps. Does your school have after school programs that they include in the summer?. Some schools where we live have summer programs that they take the kids swimming, arts & crafts, etc.. its not for the whole day, but something for all kids to do. Also, some Baptist churches have programs during the summer for the kids to do. They don't care what religion you are, its all for fun. and last, some collages have programs like a Drama class, swim team, tennis, etc... Maybe this can give you some ideas to check out. The library not far from us has summer programs for little kids and ask for volunteer help from older children. would your son like to do that? or, Would he like to put up fliers

to mow lawns, and make some money? maybe take care of a pet while on vacation?. I don't know how much supervision he would need. But you did say he can stay home alone for a few hours. I know your looking for something more like a summer camp. I don't know of any, and the ones I found for my son that he would like are very expensive for us. I would also like to see what others post. You are very smart to start looking now because whatever is available fills up fast !!!... and now is the time to apply. good luck Rose Bonnett <zoemakes5 > wrote: What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year

old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs

I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do? Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Be a better

friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.