RemedySpot.com

RE: is your child's behavior predictable

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son Owen is 4.5 and he was diagnosed in May. He is also very predictable. What helps him is being very clear about what's going to happen, what will happen next, what will happen after that, and so on. Every morning we talk him through the day, and it seems to make a very big difference. We get very specific too, down to " first we're going to get dressed, thenw e're goign to have breakfast, gthen we're going to put on our jackets.... " etc.

We have him in an an integrated preschool program through our city's public schools, which he loves. We did have a problem right after winter break though - while we had fun as a family over the holidays he definitely had a difficult transition getting back into his routine.

On 1/9/08, <sjuliesmom@...> wrote:

Hi,We got Jonah's diagnosis almost 1 year ago. We have learned alot from him since then. I know it will be a long journey ahead.Jonah is having a hard time this week. My husband and I looked at eachother tonight and we both felt it was the transition from winter break and going back to school. Like all school breaks (even weekends), Jonah asks every time if there is school that day. He counts down the days left and gets almost manic when the day comes. About 1 to 2 days into the week back, his mood changes for the worst. He becomes a little insulting, resistant even more, won't want to do homework, eat, take a bath. Everything that he has to do becomes a fight. He eventually balances out and then a freaken weekend will come. Anyway, do any of your kids do this? It almost seems predictable, his behavior. I mean what if i had 20 more hours in a day, i could actually protect his every move -- how sick is that - i hope i never become that enabling. I know Jonah is who he is for a reason. He is the sweetest most creative kid i have. My food for though!

I, personally, am beginning to wonder about how much STRESS our children experience due to school, and their "friends" there. I'm not sure how old your child is, but I started homeschooling this year. What a tremendous change in my child's attitude! He is more self-confident. AND he went to a very small Christian school - which should have tollerant peers. We still volunteer 1x/week at the school so he can stay "connected" - however, I noticed just yesterday (we volunteer on Weds.) he started this small little "noise" (tic) - which began on Tuesday, and he knows what days we go - and we had 2 weeks off. The little noise continued thru last evening. I have not noticed it today. I think it's a reaction to having to be in contact with his classmates. For the most part, at least outwardly, HE doesn't see that they are

being a bit mean, but I think that internally he does know that they're a bit cruel and his little tic is his manifestation of that "knowing". How about anyone starting an ALL Autism Spectrum school?? Any takers? J. <sjuliesmom@...> wrote: Hi,We got Jonah's diagnosis almost 1 year ago. We have learned alot from him since then. I know it will be a long journey ahead.Jonah is having a hard time this week. My husband and I looked at eachother

tonight and we both felt it was the transition from winter break and going back to school. Like all school breaks (even weekends), Jonah asks every time if there is school that day. He counts down the days left and gets almost manic when the day comes. About 1 to 2 days into the week back, his mood changes for the worst. He becomes a little insulting, resistant even more, won't want to do homework, eat, take a bath. Everything that he has to do becomes a fight. He eventually balances out and then a freaken weekend will come. Anyway, do any of your kids do this? It almost seems predictable, his behavior. I mean what if i had 20 more hours in a day, i could actually protect his every move -- how sick is that - i hope i never become that enabling. I know Jonah is who he is for a reason. He is the sweetest most creative kid i have. My food for

though!

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

, your not alone. still at 15 yrs old has transitional problems. Mondays are the hardest. He loves Fridays. Take care,Betty <sjuliesmom@...> wrote: Hi,We got Jonah's diagnosis almost 1 year ago. We have learned alot from him since then. I know it will be a long journey ahead.Jonah is having a hard time this week. My husband and I

looked at eachother tonight and we both felt it was the transition from winter break and going back to school. Like all school breaks (even weekends), Jonah asks every time if there is school that day. He counts down the days left and gets almost manic when the day comes. About 1 to 2 days into the week back, his mood changes for the worst. He becomes a little insulting, resistant even more, won't want to do homework, eat, take a bath. Everything that he has to do becomes a fight. He eventually balances out and then a freaken weekend will come. Anyway, do any of your kids do this? It almost seems predictable, his behavior. I mean what if i had 20 more hours in a day, i could actually protect his every move -- how sick is that - i hope i never become that enabling. I know Jonah is who he is for a reason. He is the sweetest most creative kid i have. My food for

though!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Mine had a really hard time going back after the break this time. Didn't want to do ANYTHING to get ready for school and was causing trouble at school. So I made a point chart for him. He gets a point for each thing getting ready in the morning (brush hair, take vitamins, etc.), 5 points for being out the door by 7:45am. Then his teacher emails me each day and depending on how well he behaved is how many points he gets up to 50 points, which is very motivating for him. We have a box of stuff he has asked me to buy which he earns with his points. It has been really helpful. He is now getting up, taking a shower and everything. I keep track of what earns him points and how many points he earns in a small spiral notebook that fits in my purse and I put Pokemon stickers on it and I show him each morning what earns him points to get him going. It's working so far! <sjuliesmom@...> wrote: Hi,We got Jonah's diagnosis almost 1 year ago. We have learned alot from him since then. I know it will be a long journey ahead.Jonah is having a hard time this week. My husband and I looked at eachother tonight and we both felt it was the transition from winter break and going back to school. Like all school breaks (even weekends), Jonah asks every time if there is school that day. He counts down the days left and gets almost manic when the day comes. About 1 to 2 days into the week back, his mood changes for the worst. He becomes a little insulting, resistant even more, won't

want to do homework, eat, take a bath. Everything that he has to do becomes a fight. He eventually balances out and then a freaken weekend will come. Anyway, do any of your kids do this? It almost seems predictable, his behavior. I mean what if i had 20 more hours in a day, i could actually protect his every move -- how sick is that - i hope i never become that enabling. I know Jonah is who he is for a reason. He is the sweetest most creative kid i have. My food for though!

We too, noticed more stress when our son went to school. It all but disappeared when we brought him home for school this year. Robin"Jo T." <jort2001@...> wrote: I, personally, am beginning to wonder about how much STRESS our children experience due to school, and their "friends" there. I'm not sure how old your child is, but I started homeschooling this year. What a tremendous change in my child's attitude! He is more self-confident. AND he

went to a very small Christian school - which should have tollerant peers. We still volunteer 1x/week at the school so he can stay "connected" - however, I noticed just yesterday (we volunteer on Weds.) he started this small little "noise" (tic) - which began on Tuesday, and he knows what days we go - and we had 2 weeks off. The little noise continued thru last evening. I have not noticed it today. I think it's a reaction to having to be in contact with his classmates. For the most part, at least outwardly, HE doesn't see that they are being a bit mean, but I think that internally he does know that they're a bit cruel and his little tic is his manifestation of that "knowing". How about anyone starting an ALL Autism Spectrum school?? Any takers? J. <sjuliesmomverizon (DOT) net>

wrote: Hi,We got Jonah's diagnosis almost 1 year ago. We have learned alot from him since then. I know it will be a long journey ahead.Jonah is having a hard time this week. My husband and I looked at eachother tonight and we both felt it was the transition from winter break and going back to school. Like all school breaks (even weekends), Jonah asks every time if there is school that day. He counts down the days left and gets almost manic when the day comes. About 1 to 2 days into the week back, his mood changes for the worst. He becomes a little insulting, resistant even more, won't want to do homework, eat, take a bath. Everything that he has to do becomes a fight. He eventually balances out and then a freaken weekend will come. Anyway, do any of your kids do this? It almost seems predictable, his behavior. I mean

what if i had 20 more hours in a day, i could actually protect his every move -- how sick is that - i hope i never become that enabling. I know Jonah is who he is for a reason. He is the sweetest most creative kid i have. My food for though! Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

How about anyone starting an ALL

Autism Spectrum school?? Any takers?

That is what I want to do. I even have

the funding researched. I have planned the basic curriculum and drawn up the

floor plans. Only problem is I need to finish my degree first.

Jolinna

that is a really good idea.it would help out alot of parents and kids. good luck! please let me know how it goes. take care.

christie

From: jolinna@...Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:02:21 -0600Subject: RE: ( ) is your child's behavior predictable

How about anyone starting an ALL Autism Spectrum school?? Any takers?

That is what I want to do. I even have the funding researched. I have planned the basic curriculum and drawn up the floor plans. Only problem is I need to finish my degree first.

Jolinna

Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™. Start now!

I agree that in some cases an all autism school woudl be helpful, but isn't the goal here to get our kids integrated so they're used to being with the general population? I would worry about sending my son to a closed off school where he wouldn't have the benefit of interacting with peer models.

On 1/11/08, christie speckel <packerpenguin@...> wrote:

that is a really good idea.it would help out alot of parents and kids. good luck! please let me know how it goes. take care.

christie

jolinna@...Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:02:21 -0600Subject: RE: ( ) is your child's behavior predictable

How about anyone starting an ALL Autism Spectrum school?? Any takers?

That is what I want to do. I even have the funding researched. I have planned the basic curriculum and drawn up the floor plans. Only problem is I need to finish my degree first.

Jolinna

Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.

Start now!