RemedySpot.com

Re: Writing Letters & Numbers Backwards

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son also had the same issues, he is now seven and this is fairly common for kids with AS, he still continues to write his numbers backwards or starts at the bottom and writes upward from there, he handwriting is also terrible and this has to do with the fine motor skill problems that these children have, we have used adaptive grips or larger pencils, in kindergarden and first grade, they really didn't make a difference for my son so now we use an alphasmart board and this has made all the difference in the world. I dont think my sons handwriting will get any better but now at least the teachers can understand what he is doing academically with his homework, I hope this helps Jeanaerinvdz <aerinz@...> wrote: My son just turned 5 and is in Kindergarten. He can read fairly well,and is teaching

himself how to do multiplication because it's fun. Weknow he's not dyslexic, because he doesn't have any problems withanything that is already written, but when writing his letters (andespecially numbers), a lot of the time he writes them backwards. Also, his writing is atrocious, even for Kindergarten standards :) Hecan't remember, or doesn't want to be bothered (not sure which) whichway the letters are formed, so he just draws them. So a lower case nhe would draw as an upside down "U", then add the line at the topsince it's supposed to have one. Makes for difficult deciphering whathe's writing sometimes.Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something he grows out of, thatI get him one of those AlphaSmarts when he's older, processing issue?Nobody seems too concerned about it, though his Kindergarten teachertold me he's at the absolute top of the class academically, and hisonly issues are writing and social skills

(big surprise there!).Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would get him an OT consultation/evaluation. Many kids with AS/autism can have problems determining which end is up, how to space letters, etc. It could possibly be a problem with that. Likely, they will tell you that it is "normal" to make letters backwards at that age but you have to push to get him help and let them know that the severity of the problem should also be considered as well as his dx of AS which makes him more likely to have these kind of space issues when writing.

PS: Dyslexia is not really about writing letters and numbers backwards but they can have the same space issues and fine motor problems as well.

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) Writing Letters & Numbers Backwards

My son just turned 5 and is in Kindergarten. He can read fairly well,and is teaching himself how to do multiplication because it's fun. Weknow he's not dyslexic, because he doesn't have any problems withanything that is already written, but when writing his letters (andespecially numbers), a lot of the time he writes them backwards. Also, his writing is atrocious, even for Kindergarten standards :) Hecan't remember, or doesn't want to be bothered (not sure which) whichway the letters are formed, so he just draws them. So a lower case nhe would draw as an upside down "U", then add the line at the topsince it's supposed to have one. Makes for difficult deciphering whathe's writing sometimes.Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something he grows out of, thatI get him one of those AlphaSmarts when he's older, processing issue?Nobody seems too concerned about it, though his Kindergarten teachertold me he's at the absolute top of the class academically, and hisonly issues are writing and social skills (big surprise there!).Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Our son is diagnosed by the University of Iowa Hospitals and CLinics with Dyslexia due to reading comprehension

issues. Whenever I read something that says that a parent says 'can't remember,' 'doesn't want to be bothered,' etc., I

have concerns because this was the school constantly made us think.....I kept saying it seems that way but that I

think it is bigger than that....it was; he finally has all the diagnoses, and has brought his reading comprehension from a

4th to 8th grade level in less than four months of one-on-one tutoring twice a week; we had NO IDEA it was a processing,

memory, adhd, and dyslexic issue, so knowing is everything.

And, personally, I would be very concerned with a child writing upside down, etc., personally; I went to college ORIGINALLY

to be a teacher (completed 133 credit hours); while b / d etc. IS normal, upside down is not to my knowledge; I am not

an expert, but it also is BEST to listen to the advise and suggestions of others even though it is often SOOOOO hard to hear

there is something we do not believe (or want to believe) about our child or children. The sooner, and KINDERGARTEN IS GREAT,

the help comes, the better the outcome.

As a daycare provider today, I can tell you I advocate for children in this setting to; I have a four year old boy that no one

can understand what he says very often; his mom IS going to get him evaluated; she IS in denial, but we have slowly

discussed it, and, like I showed her, I let her HEAR him, at four plus compared to a little boy 3 (TODAY) in my daycare

(which he, in my opinion) speaks normally for his age---you CAN understand everything he says; she just thought he was normal

since he is her only son......so, just allow the testing, mom, and hang in there......you will help them more by getting the

help OR ruling it out than to wonder------and for them to be right later on---wish our 14 year old was told at 5----we tried

to get answers back then but fought all those years to get what we needed to discover issues he really had.

Ruthie

( ) Writing Letters & Numbers Backwards

My son just turned 5 and is in Kindergarten. He can read fairly well,and is teaching himself how to do multiplication because it's fun. Weknow he's not dyslexic, because he doesn't have any problems withanything that is already written, but when writing his letters (andespecially numbers), a lot of the time he writes them backwards. Also, his writing is atrocious, even for Kindergarten standards :) Hecan't remember, or doesn't want to be bothered (not sure which) whichway the letters are formed, so he just draws them. So a lower case nhe would draw as an upside down "U", then add the line at the topsince it's supposed to have one. Makes for difficult deciphering whathe's writing sometimes.Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something he grows out of, thatI get him one of those AlphaSmarts when he's older, processing issue?Nobody seems too concerned about it, though his Kindergarten teachertold me he's at the absolute top of the class academically, and hisonly issues are writing and social skills (big surprise there!).Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I believe OT consult/eval is a good idea too.

My son receives this service as well. He's in 2nd grade and still

having some problems writing. He's not so bad with his words and

sentences but rather slow cause they have to be perfect. Not

complaining about that but he does write numbers from bottom up. Not

backwards but starts on the bottom line and writes the other

direction. And occasionally gets off track and literally copies the

font on worksheets too. Once he wrote numbers 1-100 and worksheet

answers all in outline style! The funny part is he's so obsessed with

getting his 5's perfect. If he thinks they look ANYTHING at all like

S's he'll rewrite over and over till its perfect.

OT therapy is working tho, he's improved much from even last year in

1st grade. He couldn't write well at all and was very impatient over

it.

-Claudette

--- In , " Roxanna " <madideas@...>

> I would get him an OT consultation/evaluation. Many kids with

AS/autism can have problems determining which end is up, how to space

letters, etc. It could possibly be a problem with that. Likely,

they will tell you that it is " normal " to make letters backwards at

that age but you have to push to get him help and let them know that

the severity of the problem should also be considered as well as his

dx of AS which makes him more likely to have these kind of space

issues when writing.

>

> PS: Dyslexia is not really about writing letters and numbers

backwards but they can have the same space issues and fine motor

problems as well.

>

> Roxanna

> Autism Happens

>

----- Original Message -----

> My son just turned 5 and is in Kindergarten. He can read fairly

well,

> and is teaching himself how to do multiplication because it's

fun. We

> know he's not dyslexic, because he doesn't have any problems with

> anything that is already written, but when writing his letters

(and

> especially numbers), a lot of the time he writes them backwards.

> Also, his writing is atrocious, even for Kindergarten

standards :) He

> can't remember, or doesn't want to be bothered (not sure which)

which

> way the letters are formed, so he just draws them. So a lower

case n

> he would draw as an upside down " U " , then add the line at the top

> since it's supposed to have one. Makes for difficult deciphering

what

> he's writing sometimes.

>

> Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something he grows out of,

that

> I get him one of those AlphaSmarts when he's older, processing

issue?

> Nobody seems too concerned about it, though his Kindergarten

teacher

> told me he's at the absolute top of the class academically, and

his

> only issues are writing and social skills (big surprise there!).

>

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

>

>

>

my son used to write in a complete mirror image. Now he uses it as a "bar trick" of

Sorts.. To amaze his EA's LOL

Its funny .. Because he is writing well now.. Although messy.. He knows

Which way the letters go

He is 12 now. Have faith.. Don't stress.. It will come

Accept that his brain is talented in seeing things differently ( I am sure you do.. Its just sometimes hard to remember.. When he wears his underwear outside of his jeans again LOL0

But.. That will do him well in the later years.. For diagnosing computer problems

Etc..

These kids.. Indeed thought outside the box.. Before it was cool to!

-- ( ) Re: Writing Letters & Numbers Backwards

I believe OT consult/eval is a good idea too.My son receives this service as well. He's in 2nd grade and still having some problems writing. He's not so bad with his words and sentences but rather slow cause they have to be perfect. Not complaining about that but he does write numbers from bottom up. Not backwards but starts on the bottom line and writes the other direction. And occasionally gets off track and literally copies the font on worksheets too. Once he wrote numbers 1-100 and worksheet answers all in outline style! The funny part is he's so obsessed with getting his 5's perfect. If he thinks they look ANYTHING at all like S's he'll rewrite over and over till its perfect.OT therapy is working tho, he's improved much from even last year in 1st grade. He couldn't write well at all and was very impatient over it. -Claudette--- In , "Roxanna" <madideas@...>> I would get him an OT consultation/evaluation. Many kids with AS/autism can have problems determining which end is up, how to space letters, etc. It could possibly be a problem with that. Likely, they will tell you that it is "normal" to make letters backwards at that age but you have to push to get him help and let them know that the severity of the problem should also be considered as well as his dx of AS which makes him more likely to have these kind of space issues when writing. > > PS: Dyslexia is not really about writing letters and numbers backwards but they can have the same space issues and fine motor problems as well.> > Roxanna> Autism Happens>----- Original Message ----- > My son just turned 5 and is in Kindergarten. He can read fairly well,> and is teaching himself how to do multiplication because it's fun. We> know he's not dyslexic, because he doesn't have any problems with> anything that is already written, but when writing his letters (and> especially numbers), a lot of the time he writes them backwards. > Also, his writing is atrocious, even for Kindergarten standards :) He> can't remember, or doesn't want to be bothered (not sure which) which> way the letters are formed, so he just draws them. So a lower case n> he would draw as an upside down "U", then add the line at the top> since it's supposed to have one. Makes for difficult deciphering what> he's writing sometimes.> > Has anyone else had this issue? Is it something he grows out of, that> I get him one of those AlphaSmarts when he's older, processing issue?> Nobody seems too concerned about it, though his Kindergarten teacher> told me he's at the absolute top of the class academically, and his> only issues are writing and social skills (big surprise there!).> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!> > >

My kindergartener is writing things in mirror image

too...but not all the time, its strange. Mostly his

name, and writing that is coming out of his head,

rather than copying. And he adds little faces to all

the spaces in his name, which is cute for now anyway.

I try not to worry about the writing too much, really.

My daughter did the same thing and is fine now. He

will be starting some OT probably next month to work

on things like pencil holding, scissoring, etc...a

couple of items he is a little behind in. He has been

going through a clumsy spell lately...got lots of

brusies and scrapes in the last two weeks or so..I

have also noticed an increase in his stuttering, which

was getting better for awhile. But then again he is

eating like a horse too. I wonder if he is about to

go through a growth spurt. All in all he is doing

well. We are going to go for a little bike ride here

ina few minutes, trying to get him to watch less tv.

He is really obsessed with the scooby doo right now.

Take care,

kate

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs