RemedySpot.com

Re: Functional Behavioral Assessment

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is a good website to check out regarding FBA's. An FBA is usually conducted and written by the school psychologist involved on the IEP Team. Input is given by anyone interacting with your child on a weekly basis, especially where there are behaviorally issues (classroom teacher, classroom assistant, special education teacher, itinerant teachers, therapists). You can also request that someone (either within the district or outside) with autism expertise be a part of the team, perhaps observe and make recomendations as part of the FBA. A POSITIVE behavior plan is the desired outcome of the FBA. Pam :)

Functional Behavioral AssessmentStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

A Functional Behavior Assessment should morph into a POSITIVE Behavior Plan for the student. Everyone working with that student would use the plan consistently. If at any time the plan does not seem to be working or the student is refusing to follow it, that means it is time to request, in writing, an IEP review meeting to discuss what changes can be made to the plan so that it works to benefit the student. Pam :)Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Our problem with this when we did Jake's is his teacher would not follow it. This is not a form that they have to follow by law, it's basically a suggestion from all parties involved.

Jake's teacher basically refused to do any of it, she didn't say that, she just didn't do it. Nothing we could do but complain and schedule an IEP meeting, which is what we are waiting on now.

Jake's teacher and me have about come to blows several times. My ex husband has to be there with me when we talk to her, I am afraid I'll deck her. Jake loves her though.

Tracey Shockey MYspace Have you read 3:16 lately?Shaklee FREE membership!OPRAH SPECIALS: Special GET CLEAN KIT!CINCH Your taste buds (and hiney!) NEED CINCH! GLUTEN FREE!EBATES! I have used them for 2 years, LOVE their discounts!!

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:50:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65@... writes:

A Functional Behavior Assessment should morph into a POSITIVE Behavior Plan for the student. Everyone working with that student would use the plan consistently. If at any time the plan does not seem to be working or the student is refusing to follow it, that means it is time to request, in writing, an IEP review meeting to discuss what changes can be made to the plan so that it works to benefit the student. Pam :)

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

well that sounds like it may be time for a new teacher then. Have you gone up the chain to her boss and perhaps the Director of Special Education, Superintendant and School Committee? They may be interested to know that one of their staff is refusing to following through on a behavior plan. Pam :)Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Oh the Director of Special Education is a whacko too.

When we requested, well I demanded, progress notes sent home daily, this lady told me, "I don't believe in notes home, what happens here, stays here." I replied, "what, is this Vegas?" I was SOOOOOO mad. Then when I started explaining why we need it sent home, she started talking over me to my ex-husband. I was FURIOUS and said, " EXCUSE ME..can I finish talking please?"

The counselors actually made up a checklist and THEY made sure it was done daily. Between the teacher and the DSE, the Counselors took it upon themselves to help.

Believe me, we have complaint letters in to all the places that take them. I even wrote the Arkansas School Board home office about this.

These people are whack jobs!

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:58:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65@... writes:

well that sounds like it may be time for a new teacher then. Have you gone up the chain to her boss and perhaps the Director of Special Education, Superintendant and School Committee? They may be interested to know that one of their staff is refusing to following through on a behavior plan. Pam :)

You bet I said it. The Counselors even giggled a bit, quietly though.

I know this is what set us all up for "not a good working relationship" but SERIOUSLY...how could anybody let that comment go?

Oh she also said, "I see here he has possible Asperger's. Well I think we all have a little Asperger's in us." It was a snotty/snide remark, not lighthearted by any means. This was actually the first thing she said, so my mouth just dropped, I was stunned. Then she said the "Vegas" comment and I was not about to sit in silence again.

This is why I NEVER go to the school or to these meetings by myself. My ex-husband always goes with me. If he cannot go, we reschedule. He is more calm while I have to sit on my hands. LOL!

In a message dated 1/9/2008 9:23:45 A.M. Central Standard Time, smacalli@... writes:

Wow. You really have your hands full! The DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION told you "what happens here stays here?" Um, hello? She's not the Athletic Director! Love your comment too about Vegas. Hope you really said that! What a nut job. Hang in there!!!!!!

Re: ( ) Functional Behavioral Assessment

When we requested, well I demanded, progress notes sent home daily, this lady told me, "I don't believe in notes home, what happens here, stays here." I replied, "what, is this Vegas?" I was SOOOOOO mad. Then when I started explaining why we need it sent home, she started talking over me to my ex-husband. I was FURIOUS and said, " EXCUSE ME..can I finish talking please?"

The counselors actually made up a checklist and THEY made sure it was done daily. Between the teacher and the DSE, the Counselors took it upon themselves to help.

Believe me, we have complaint letters in to all the places that take them. I even wrote the Arkansas School Board home office about this.

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:58:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65aol (DOT) com writes:

well that sounds like it may be time for a new teacher then. Have you gone up the chain to her boss and perhaps the Director of Special Education, Superintendant and School Committee? They may be interested to know that one of their staff is refusing to following through on a behavior plan. Pam :)

Wow. You really have your hands full! The DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION told you "what happens here stays here?" Um, hello? She's not the Athletic Director! Love your comment too about Vegas. Hope you really said that! What a nut job. Hang in there!!!!!!

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:58:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65aol (DOT) com writes:

You are cracking me up! What a fruit loop though. How does she keep her job? Where's her compassion? I bet the people who work under her and truly see the needs for special interventions for our kids are about to rip their hair out too. "We all have a little Aspergers?" What a clueless woman. At least she's not in the classroom w/ your son. And good to see you've got a good relationship w/ your ex-. That always seems to help!

We had 3-4 Counselors in there with us, and the looks they had just said it all. The Counselors are truly the backbone of this school and the special needs kids.

Oh relationship with ex is good most times. We do agree thought this school is made up of idiots. LOL!

Tracey Shockey MYspace Have you read 3:16 lately?Shaklee FREE membership!OPRAH SPECIALS: Special GET CLEAN KIT!CINCH Your taste buds (and hiney!) NEED CINCH! GLUTEN FREE!EBATES! I have used them for 2 years, LOVE their discounts!!

In a message dated 1/9/2008 9:59:22 A.M. Central Standard Time, smacalli@... writes:

You are cracking me up! What a fruit loop though. How does she keep her job? Where's her compassion? I bet the people who work under her and truly see the needs for special interventions for our kids are about to rip their hair out too. "We all have a little Aspergers?" What a clueless woman. At least she's not in the classroom w/ your son. And good to see you've got a good relationship w/ your ex-. That always seems to help!

They actually do have to do a fba and do a positive behavior plan. If teacher doesn't follow through, definitely have a meeting and ask "Why not?" in front of everyone. Then ask the school to provide either training for the teacher or a teacher who can follow the law and do what is best for the child.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Our problem with this when we did Jake's is his teacher would not follow it. This is not a form that they have to follow by law, it's basically a suggestion from all parties involved.

Jake's teacher basically refused to do any of it, she didn't say that, she just didn't do it. Nothing we could do but complain and schedule an IEP meeting, which is what we are waiting on now.

Jake's teacher and me have about come to blows several times. My ex husband has to be there with me when we talk to her, I am afraid I'll deck her. Jake loves her though.

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:50:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65aol writes:

A Functional Behavior Assessment should morph into a POSITIVE Behavior Plan for the student. Everyone working with that student would use the plan consistently. If at any time the plan does not seem to be working or the student is refusing to follow it, that means it is time to request, in writing, an IEP review meeting to discuss what changes can be made to the plan so that it works to benefit the student. Pam :)

ROFL! That's original! LOL I think if someone would have said that to me at an IEP meeting, I would have burst out laughing and asked the same question as you did!

RoxannaAutism Happens

In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:58:40 A.M. Central Standard Time, ppanda65aol writes:

• 3 years later...

Why do they need to come to your house if the bip is what to do in

reaction to school behaviors? I would think they'd need to do the fba

at school then

On 2/9/11, W <jennywatson@...> wrote:

> So I guess I'm getting on the principals nerves now, because she's called an

> IEP meeting to discuss doing an FBA. I'm assuming this is a good thing,

> right? That it will lead to a better plan of action for dealing with his

> behaviors (not doing schoolwork, making noises, etc.). Or is it an excuse to

> come to our house and find fault with our parenting techniques, as they've

> hinted at in the meetings we've had in the past?

>

> If it is a good thing, do I even need to wait for the IEP meeting(which

> they're looking to schedule 2 weeks out). Or should I just sign approval for

> the FBA now and let them get on with it?

>

> Thanks for your help,

>

>

>

>

>

--

Sent from my mobile device

-mommy to Emma, Becca, ,

, , and Leah

An FBA is a good thing if it is done right. They do this to come up with a hypothisis of the functions of his behaviors and to develope a BSP. You should have the meeting first and ask who will be doing the observations of your child and if they are a BCBA (board certified behavior analyst). Also ask what else they will be doing (parent and teacher interviews) etc. Check out wrightslaw.com on FBA and BSPs (behavior support plan). Learn all you can!

We have had a few FBAs and BSPs over the years and they can do more harm than good if they are not done right. Definitely take the two weeks before the meeting to do some research. Then write down what questions you will want to ask at the meeting. Make sure you also lock them into a reasonable time frame to do the FBA. Sometimes they will drag their feet and take weeks or longer, in the meantime your child is not getting the interventions they need. Ask what is a reasonable time you can expect them to complete the FBA and that you are sent ALL the documentation to review BEFORE you meet to develope the BSP. Make sure you put your requests in writing. They should send you copies of any information they collect to complete the FBA. You should get this in time to be able to review it before you meet so you know what questions to ask or points you want to make.

Keep us posted as to what you find out doing your research and let us know if you have any questions. This is a hot topic with me since we've had such negative experience with this being done incorrectly. Hopefully we can help you have a better experience. Good luck!ne

From: W <jennywatson@...>Subject: ( ) Functional Behavioral Assessment Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 10:12 PM

So I guess I'm getting on the principals nerves now, because she's called an IEP meeting to discuss doing an FBA. I'm assuming this is a good thing, right? That it will lead to a better plan of action for dealing with his behaviors (not doing schoolwork, making noises, etc.). Or is it an excuse to come to our house and find fault with our parenting techniques, as they've hinted at in the meetings we've had in the past?If it is a good thing, do I even need to wait for the IEP meeting(which they're looking to schedule 2 weeks out). Or should I just sign approval for the FBA now and let them get on with it?Thanks for your help,

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Search movie showtime shortcut.