RemedySpot.com

Re: pbs program on newly diagnosed 21yo leaving home.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Double-heads up!!!! My Bad!!! The name of the PBS program tonight,1/8/08,at 10pm is "Indepentent Lense". I had an email from a friend. I read the info wrong. Jerri.motherbird11 <motherbird11@...> wrote: Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS brodcast tonight at 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the world. Sounds like one to watch. Jerri.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Thanks Jerri sounds promising, | Bettymotherbird11 <motherbird11@...> wrote: Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS brodcast tonight at 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the world. Sounds like one to watch. Jerri.

I was just about to post the same thing!

And this is on at 9 PM tonight:

FRONTLINE EXAMINES WHY MORE THAN 6 MILLION AMERICAN CHILDREN ARE

TAKING POWERFUL PSYCHIATRIC DRUGS

FRONTLINE presents

THE MEDICATED CHILD

Tuesday, January 8, 2008, at 9 P.M. ET on PBS

>

> Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS brodcast tonight at

> 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just

> diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the

> world. Sounds like one to watch.

> Jerri.

>

THANK YOU! Forwarding to my friends as well!

-- Re: ( ) pbs program on newly diagnosed 21yo leaving home.

Thanks Jerri sounds promising, |

Bettymotherbird11 <motherbird11 > wrote:

Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS brodcast tonight at 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the wo rld. Sounds like one to watch. Jerri.

Actually it was both names...Independent Lens is the program, I guess.

Today's Man was the episode. It got cancelled on my station due to

election coverage. Grrrr!

> Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS

brodcast tonight at

> 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just

> diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the

> world. Sounds like one to watch.

> Jerri.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.

>

i got to watch the program. i thought it was a revealing and honest

look at aspergers. and although the aspies i have around are high

functioning, i could recognize many of the behaviours.

this 20 something year old man was living at home and could not hold

down a job, mostly because he could not understand social codes. his

aging parents and sister (producer of the doc) were very concerned

for his future and tried to teach him necessary living skills in

hopes that he would be able to live independantly. he held two jobs

but lost them both, because he made a comment viewed as racial and

read private mail not meant for his eyes. he also would read

magazines and eat at his desk while he was a receptionist even after

told not to. he did not understand why these behaviours were not

okay--he just didn't get it. he argued with his boss about why he

should be able to continue doing these things.

he also had his own apartment for a short time, but moved back home.

there was much love in the family but you could see the concern and

frustration in the mothers words. he and his father had a special

bond and their relationship was portrayed in a touching way.

the mother eventually found and took him to a support group with

people like him--others on the spectrum. you couldn't tell for sure

if he was enjoying this meeting. he spoke up during the meeting and

said how he wanted to talk about things he was interested in, i think

the moderator said they could do that later. after the meeting,

during the social part, you saw this man darting and dipping in and

out of conversations, leaving in mid sentence because he heard

something else more interesting at the other side of the room--very

familiar to me. but after the meeting, he spent a good deal of time

talking to an aspie (i assume) girl. this offered a little hope in

my mind for this man.

also, to keep in mind is that there wasn't any support for this

family when he was growing up, so no early intervention. and even

though we may not fully understand this diesease, we have alot of

places to go for support and helpful therapies.

anyone else see this?

regards, melody

> > Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS

> brodcast tonight at

> > 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just

> > diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in

the

> > world. Sounds like one to watch.

> > Jerri.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

> Search.

> >

>

I watched the program last night along with my 19 year old son. I was hoping that it would inspire some discussion about what his hopes for the future were, but in retrospect I flubbed it by being too open ended in my question. I have a lot to learn about Asperger's.I have just recently heard the definitive diagnosis, in kind of a backwards way from his rehab counselor when I went in to discuss health care options as he has aged out of my plan. We have struggled with schooling issues for many years, saw counselor after counselor, IEP after IEP, therapist after therapist and no one ever put it on the table that Asperger's was his diagnosis. It felt like they all knew it and for some reason never told me. I am left feeling kind of angry at the system for its lack of support when I was seeking help from the 'experts'. I am sure you have all been there. Well,moving forward I am now trying to learn everything about it and find support

wherever I can. For years I was made to feel guilty for not being a good enough parent, that had I done it right my son would have been 'normal'. I am soon to be divorced and am facing the fact that my son whom I love dearly, will likely be living with me for a long time to come. If he is able to gain his independence, I will have finally done my job right. Is this possible? I am unsure from watching that documentary. I think my son is much more functional than that man, but still rarely leaves home, and has been unable to finish high school. I am rambling, so sorry, but it does feel good to finally put this all out there and hopefully it will fall on some understanding ears. I am very interested in hearing from other parents of newly diagnosed late teen or early 20 age kids and what they are doing.Thanks for being there.LoriMelody <mkalomiris@...> wrote: i got to watch the program. i thought it was a revealing and honest look at aspergers. and although the aspies i have around are high functioning, i could recognize many of the behaviours. this 20 something year old man was living at home and could not hold down a job, mostly because he could not understand social codes. his aging parents and sister (producer of the doc) were very concerned for his future and tried to teach him necessary living skills in hopes that he would be able to live independantly. he held two jobs but lost them both, because he

made a comment viewed as racial and read private mail not meant for his eyes. he also would read magazines and eat at his desk while he was a receptionist even after told not to. he did not understand why these behaviours were not okay--he just didn't get it. he argued with his boss about why he should be able to continue doing these things. he also had his own apartment for a short time, but moved back home. there was much love in the family but you could see the concern and frustration in the mothers words. he and his father had a special bond and their relationship was portrayed in a touching way. the mother eventually found and took him to a support group with people like him--others on the spectrum. you couldn't tell for sure if he was enjoying this meeting. he spoke up during the meeting and said how he wanted to talk about things he was interested in, i think the moderator said they

could do that later. after the meeting, during the social part, you saw this man darting and dipping in and out of conversations, leaving in mid sentence because he heard something else more interesting at the other side of the room--very familiar to me. but after the meeting, he spent a good deal of time talking to an aspie (i assume) girl. this offered a little hope in my mind for this man. also, to keep in mind is that there wasn't any support for this family when he was growing up, so no early intervention. and even though we may not fully understand this diesease, we have alot of places to go for support and helpful therapies. anyone else see this? regards, melody > > Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS > brodcast tonight at > > 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just > > diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in the > > world. Sounds like one to watch. > >

Jerri. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with > Search. > > >

My husband and I watched the program, too. Our 16 yo son was

diagnosed about a year ago. Like so many other stories, we saw signs

from very early, but the knowledge just wasn't out there in the

medical or educational world.... which frustrates me to this day.

The show just premiered in our area on Jan 8. I mentioned it to my

son today, and as I should have already known, he's already seen it

and has his opinion of it.

It's only been within the last year or so that I've had the true

realization that he may not make it on his own. For years we've

joked of the fear of him not moving because he's got it good at home,

never because of the fact that perhaps he couldn't manage.

He's been an outstanding student, but I fear the social issues will

be a major road block to his independence. He's always been more

mature than his peers and I figured he'd eventually level out. But

I'm learning that there's so much more to it. There's nothing in our

area as far as behavioral programs. He sees a psych for one on one

counseling, but I'd really love him to be in a program with peers.

OF course, the insurance isn't covering anything, either.

He's a junior in high school now. He's never had an IEP. I'm

wondering whether I should look into getting one for him with the

thoughts of college and other possible future needs? The whole

college issue and job issue is overwhelming me more now than I ever

thought it would. With public knowledge so limited, does the

notation of " Aspergers " automatically trigger a red flag with

admission offices and employers? Based on the response of the

employers in the Film " Today's Man " I would say it would be a

trigger.

Mims

> > > Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS

> > brodcast tonight at

> > > 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man,

just

> > > diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way

in

> the

> > > world. Sounds like one to watch.

> > > Jerri.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

>

> > Search.

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.

>

I am mom to 19 yo young men that weren't diagnosed until they were 15 and went to a private school. I would suggest getting him an IEP and have social skills addressed. Vocational Rehab should be called in and make a transition plan from high school to college. We had no help in our school and one quit and got his GED and the other graduated last June. Now we are looking into getting them into a local college and have contacted VR and they will help your child get ready for the job world. They may even help pay for college and help with mentors or a coach.http://www.vocrehabga.org/ I would look up the one in your state and call them or go through the school. They should have already started this, but if it's like our situation they don't tell you anything you have to do the research yourself... Toni

( ) Re: pbs program on newly diagnosed 21yo leaving home.

My husband and I watched the program, too. Our 16 yo son was diagnosed about a year ago. Like so many other stories, we saw signs from very early, but the knowledge just wasn't out there in the medical or educational world.... which frustrates me to this day. The show just premiered in our area on Jan 8. I mentioned it to my son today, and as I should have already known, he's already seen it and has his opinion of it. It's only been within the last year or so that I've had the true realization that he may not make it on his own. For years we've joked of the fear of him not moving because he's got it good at home, never because of the fact that perhaps he couldn't manage. He's been an outstanding student, but I fear the social issues will be a major road block to his independence. He's always been more mature than his peers and I figured he'd eventually level out. But I'm learning that there's so much more to it. There's nothing in our area as far as behavioral programs. He sees a psych for one on one counseling, but I'd really love him to be in a program with peers. OF course, the insurance isn't covering anything, either.He's a junior in high school now. He's never had an IEP. I'm wondering whether I should look into getting one for him with the thoughts of college and other possible future needs? The whole college issue and job issue is overwhelming me more now than I ever thought it would. With public knowledge so limited, does the notation of "Aspergers" automatically trigger a red flag with admission offices and employers? Based on the response of the employers in the Film "Today's Man" I would say it would be a trigger.Mims> > > Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS> > brodcast tonight at > > > 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just > > > diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in > the > > > world. Sounds like one to watch. > > > Jerri.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with > > > Search.> > >> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

Thank you, Toni for your advice. It was a real nightmare when we had to find a counselor and services for our son. We're in a heavily populated area, yet the services are so lacking in this area. We had a couple nightmare experiences with Psychs and it has really made me hesitant because I fear they can do more harm in one session than good. At times, I think I'm a more "ferocious mother bear" now that he's a young adult than when he was small! The psych he's seeing now is very well versed and has a great rapport with him. He wasn't surprised at our difficulty finding appropriate care and advised me that even if the school system tried to handle it, they wouldn't have done it right anyway. It can be such a scary world! MimsToni <kbtoni@...> wrote: I am mom to 19 yo young men that weren't diagnosed until they were 15 and went to a private school. I would suggest getting him an IEP and have social skills addressed. Vocational Rehab should be called in and make a transition plan from high school to college. We had no help in our school and one quit and got his GED and the other graduated last June. Now we are looking into getting them into a local college and have contacted VR and they will help your child get ready for the job world. They may even help pay for college and help with mentors or a coach.http://www.vocrehabga.org/ I would look up the one in your state and call them or go through the school. They should have already started this, but if it's like our situation they don't tell you anything you have to do the research yourself... Toni ( ) Re: pbs program on newly diagnosed 21yo leaving home. My husband and I watched the program, too. Our 16 yo son was diagnosed about a year ago. Like so many other stories, we saw signs from very early, but the knowledge just wasn't out there in the medical or educational world.... which frustrates me to this day. The show just premiered in our area on Jan 8. I mentioned it to my son today, and as I should have already known, he's already seen it and has his opinion of it. It's only been within the last year or so that I've had the true realization that he may not make it on his own. For years we've joked of the fear of him not moving because he's got it good at home, never because of the fact that perhaps he couldn't manage. He's been an outstanding student, but I fear the social issues will be a major road block to his independence. He's always been more mature than his peers and I figured he'd eventually level out. But I'm

learning that there's so much more to it. There's nothing in our area as far as behavioral programs. He sees a psych for one on one counseling, but I'd really love him to be in a program with peers. OF course, the insurance isn't covering anything, either.He's a junior in high school now. He's never had an IEP. I'm wondering whether I should look into getting one for him with the thoughts of college and other possible future needs? The whole college issue and job issue is overwhelming me more now than I ever thought it would. With public knowledge so limited, does the notation of "Aspergers" automatically trigger a red flag with admission offices and employers? Based on the response of the employers in the Film "Today's Man" I would say it would be a trigger.Mims> > > Heads up to whomever is interested. There is a PBS> > brodcast tonight at > > > 10 pm called#910 Today's Man. It is about a 21 year-old man, just > > > diagnosed with Asperger's. He is leaving home to make his way in > the > > > world. Sounds like one to watch. > > >

Jerri.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with > > > Search.> > >> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>