> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the

> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him

> to learn how to socialize from those people at his

> school. PJ

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

>

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

>

You can do it!!! We are another family of "I can't believe how much better it is now." We pulled our 6th grader out in November. They are completely unable to teach him socially appropriate behavior and we were doing all of the academics at home anyway. Now battling with the school to try to get any funds we can to pay for home schooling. It is another losing battle. But this time, the issues are only with us parents, not with our kid. Our son does so well out in the community and at home. At school...... well, that was a disaster. I am so glad it is finally over. We are likely going to just do straight homeschooling. We are buying curriculum from K12Inc (consumer direct) but have thought about the virtual academy. In California we have to just sign a form once a year rumor has it. Right now, we are moving towards due process with the school, with the intent of never bringing him back no matter what......

Good luck!!!! You will be so glad you pulled him out.

( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how to socialize from those people at his school. PJ

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002@...> wrote: I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be

done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

the virtual academies and K12 inc are great. you have all the answers in front of you, so it is easier than you think...... Look at some sample lessons and what materials are provided.... K12Inc.com

Re: ( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002 > wrote:

I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

You should write to Ruthie... I've read her post from the start, when she was just thinking about home schooling..Patti Journey <pjpoo78363@...> wrote: I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn

how to socialize from those people at his school. PJ Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Virtual school has online teachers, you can always hire a tutor to teach your child as well. you can also learn as your child learns. they do have teaching books to help which are really good. Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins

<jenkins472002 > wrote: I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it

anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

another thought, have you considered looking into other schools? Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002 > wrote: I was

thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school.

PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

Ohhhh....we love the K12 curriculum (he's in 6th as well!! That's the curriculum our virtual school uses. Awesome!!!!RobinDebra Balke <dlbalke@...> wrote: You can do it!!! We are another family of "I can't believe how much better it is now." We pulled our 6th grader out in November. They are completely unable to teach him socially appropriate behavior and we were doing all of the academics at home anyway. Now battling with the school to try to get any

funds we can to pay for home schooling. It is another losing battle. But this time, the issues are only with us parents, not with our kid. Our son does so well out in the community and at home. At school...... well, that was a disaster. I am so glad it is finally over. We are likely going to just do straight homeschooling. We are buying curriculum from K12Inc (consumer direct) but have thought about the virtual academy. In California we have to just sign a form once a year rumor has it. Right now, we are moving towards due process with the school, with the intent of never bringing him back no matter what...... Good luck!!!! You will be so glad you pulled him out. ( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it> I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how to socialize from those people at his school.

PJ Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Check out connectionsacademy.com Connections Academy is public school done at home and it cost nothing because it is funded by the state you live in also they are great with aspergers kids and their needs. We went to them when our child could not handle school and the school was unsupporting of our childs need.Debra Balke <dlbalke@...> wrote: the virtual academies and K12 inc are great. you have all the answers in front of you, so it is easier than you think...... Look at some

sample lessons and what materials are provided.... K12Inc.com Re: ( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it> What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT

smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002 > wrote: I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start>

it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

You can get as "lax" as you want and teach WHAT you want.....or get curriculum that honestly,,,,,tells you what to do and teach every step of the way. (That's the way we go)..hee hee. I am the same way,,,,,I worried that I wouldn't teach him something that everyone else his age knew. I needed the accountability. Robin Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how

he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002 > wrote: I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it,

who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

You don’t have to worry about whether

or not you are smart enough. You learn along with them as you are teaching. I

hated history when I was in school but I really liked it when we were

homeschooling. We did Math and English out of text books but the rest we did

unit study style. We did field trips when ever possible. We are all “go”

people and getting to go see the things made it a lot more interesting.

National Parks have the Jr. Ranger program. The kids complete a packet about

the park and then get a patch or pin. This makes sure it is an educational

field trip. My kids tease me that I make everything into a school trip. At

the store I had them figure out how much things were per oz (or whatever).

When we went to pick strawberries we discussed photosynthesis, had a contest to

see who could get the closest to estimating how many strawberries were in a

pound. When we got home we made strawberry jam (measuring). I didn’t

think I would be able to homeschool until I decided to take the plunge for just

one semester. Our lives were much calmer. The kids learned more (especially

the basics). No more homework time where they are screaming and fighting

because they don’t want to do their homework because they just spent 8

hours in school. We homeschooled for 10 years until at 8th grade DH

insisted they go into public school. My son is now thriving in public school.

He had gone to Kindergarten in public school and it was a nightmare.

Jolinna

Hi, Patti. I would first ask what state you live in? The homeschool laws very from state to state. Then I would highly recommend contacting HSLDA and becoming a member. You pay like $10 a month and if anyone from any agency comes to your door they will help you fight if you have to go to court. Go to hslda.org and look up your state. I live in MI and you can just pull your child and start homeschooling them with no problems but there are states like PA that make you be under some type of umbrella school. Now hslda.org is normally pretty accurate with there info but you can call them and ask them what the law is without being a member. I called them before I pulled my son and they are very helpful.

Once you have done all that there are a lot of different ways to homeschool and different curriculums out there. It is pretty easy to homeschool even if you do not feel smart. If you are a Christian or if you do not mind Christian education curriculums there are 3 really good curriculums where you do not even have to do more than grade the work. Abeka has a video curriculum for under $1500 a year, Alpha Omega offers a CD ROM curriculum, and Bob offer a satalite program which a lot of my friends are using. There are a lot more Christian curriculums out there but these are the 3 that come to mind. I have never looked into a non Christian curriculum so I would not know of any of them.

I hope I have helped and let me know if there is any more I can help you with, Patti Coss

( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how to socialize from those people at his school. PJ

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

On Sep 14, 6:38am, Essenfeld wrote:

}

} What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in

to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn

out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!

Don't stress about it. There are lots of styles of homeschooling and

you can pick one that suits the two of you. You don't have to do

everything and know everything. There are many different ways to

teach and learn.

Willa

You CAN do it....home schooling is meant to be learning how YOU want to do it; at your CHILD'S levels....etc.....it does not even take brains necessarily (well, some, but forget about school----it is NOT the same).

There are numerous ways to home school:

You can do what is called De (or Un) schooling: That is when you basically do not worry about it at all (that is what we are doing---we have done all the other methods first and were convinced by others to go here---and it is the best! Okay, you just listen and learn; it is everywhere...you are teaching and did not even know it. Our son is NOW asking us to read a book and write 20 questions (he is 14 and in 8th grade) and he is going to read it, then answer those 20 questions to check his improvement in reading comprehension (his own words).....

To top it off, we are doing field trips; he has studied for his learner's permit, read about three books this week, is writing a book, DOES MATH with a tutor 2 hours a week (so that is very routine but this week, she took him swimming, and makes him figure out parties, how much to host different things; take him to lunch, and he has to create a menu, figure the local and state taxes, and she even has algebra in it now, etc.....so she makes it really fun (we are friends now, so she does more than most---swimming is above and beyond but they are friends, too---she and I are nearly best friends now---she rocks----so, she did that because she enjoys most of the time!!!).

Anyway, we did start off doing curriculum, and I was working him to the bone (DEFEATS the whole point, doesn't it)? My son is NOT home schoolable; and I can tell you, I could not live without him at home now. He is actually doing things without complaint. Setting the table, reading the newspaper, doing laundry, trash, etc., is part of learning; we even spell words, look up words in the dictionary (he'll want to know more about them). He even asked me to teach him some specific language arts things now (so, we will use workbooks for that again)....

This method, is up to him; he is creating the work, and I have little to do; I get what he needs, and teach him here and there---then, he is off and running; we watch videos, he watches movies, every thing is learning---that is the gift of it. I know it sounds like I have gone crazy, but once I 'gave in' to this concept, my son is super calm, not stressed at all, and a new kid---this was the best thing we ever have done....he is preparing meals, measuring, using recipes; all things he could NOT do and would not do when in the public schools; he is sooooo fun to be around. He is my best and biggest helper and my fan....

And, not to mention all he does in my daycare now; he has been loving on the babies, feeding them; these are important skills for anyone, especially someone that would not hug or touch anyone other than me; you should see him; even his waiver workers can't believe it....he teaches them things now / helps them be positive; it is sooo much more than book learning...he is lacking nothing; and we are all learning soooo much...

I suggest you just try it....

Ruthie Dolezal

Re: ( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!sandra jenkins <jenkins472002 > wrote:

I was thinking of home schooling my son as well acouple of weeks ago. Look at the Dept. Of Educationweb site for your state, they should have theinstructions on what you need to do in order to getthat started. I know that here in VT, there is a lotof paperwork that needs to be done first. You need todecide on what you are going to teach him and thensubmit it for the state to review, and then you needto choose and buy the curriculum that you want to useto teach him with.--- Patti Journey <pjpoo78363 > wrote:> I have decided tonight that I am going to home> school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start> it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his> dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the> kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him> to learn how to socialize from those people at his> school. PJ> > > >__________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. >http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ> >

My .02 - you don't have to be Smarter than he is, just be able to Outsmart him! :)

trish

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Willa HuntSent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

On Sep 14, 6:38am, Essenfeld wrote:} } What if I'm not all that smart to homeschool. I haven't completely looked in to how to homeschool but I have thought about it. I'm worried on how he'll turn out! I swear I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader!!Don't stress about it. There are lots of styles of homeschooling andyou can pick one that suits the two of you. You don't have to doeverything and know everything. There are many different ways toteach and learn.Willa

This is my first posting in this group, and before I start, I just want to say thank you to all the other members here. My wife and I have a 6 yr old ASP boy and it is wonderful to know that there are so many out there and we aren't alone.We pulled our son out of public school for a multitude of reasons and started home schooling. I highly recommend the K12 Home School Program (www.k12.com). It was originally started as a supplemental program for gifted students and he has made leaps and bounds. Some of the things he is learning, I didn't learn until middle/high school. I would recommend checking into the various home school programs available and making the best choice for you. We followed out state guidelines and registered our home school (our son picked the name "Tarantula School"....lol) to be in accordance to the state laws of Kansas.Mark in KS

Patty, two questions. How old is he and does he like to learn or do you

struggle with

getting his school work done?

Dee ><)))*>

>

> I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone

tell me how

do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that

he couldn't take it

anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how

to socialize

from those people at his school. PJ

>

>

Thanks Dee, but my son is already home and doing well with his work, he uses the same paces that he was doing at school. We pay the school for them, he takes the test in the school office, he is doing well, and so happy. Every day he thanks me for taking him out of school. And he is more than willing to do the work.

( ) Re: I want to home school my son, how do I do it>

Patty, two questions. How old is he and does he like to learn or do you struggle with getting his school work done?Dee ><)))*>>> I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how to socialize from those people at his school. PJ> >

Patti, why do you "pay" the school?Patti Journey <pjpoo78363@...> wrote: Thanks Dee, but my son is already home and doing well with his work, he uses the same paces that he was doing at school. We pay the school for them, he takes the test in the school office, he is doing well, and so happy. Every day he thanks me for taking him out of

school. And he is more than willing to do the work. ( ) Re: I want to home school my son, how do I do it> Patty, two questions. How old is he and does he like to learn or do you struggle with getting his school work done?Dee ><)))*>>> I have decided tonight that I am going to home school my son. Can someone tell me how do I start it, who I need to

contact. I heard him telling his dad tonight that he couldn't take it anymore how the kids tease him at school. I don't think I want him to learn how to socialize from those people at his school. PJ> > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.