RemedySpot.com

RE: Parents of Aspie Teens

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son is now twenty...freshman year of high school was awful...eventually, he became involved with the high school drama productions and took theatre classes...this was a good outlet for him and a good group of kids, for the most part. If your son has a specific interest in any activity at school at all, encourage him to "find a place for himself." Following high school, my son got help from our local Dept of Rehab and went to broadcasting school...he currently works part-time for CBS Radio...hope this is helpful info and also encouraging to you...

Blessings,

GailStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

That's interesting because my daughter is taking theater class and joined the drama club, too! It's her favorite class and she is getting the best grades in there.

Deb

Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens

My son is now twenty...freshman year of high school was awful...eventually, he became involved with the high school drama productions and took theatre classes...this was a good outlet for him and a good group of kids, for the most part. If your son has a specific interest in any activity at school at all, encourage him to "find a place for himself." Following high school, my son got help from our local Dept of Rehab and went to broadcasting school...he currently works part-time for CBS Radio...hope this is helpful info and also encouraging to you...

Blessings,

Gail

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!

I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821@...> wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Betty – We are lucky in that driving

has not been an issue for us – yet.  Tyler will be 18 in May.  He got his permit on

schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed.  We also did lots of individual

driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s

license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I

think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”.  I

think Tyler has

realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of

driving.  Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own

yet.  I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t

know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has

been with him when he drove.  I have said that my heart and nerves can’t

handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so

I have done my part already!  We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all

the traffic.  But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could

drive himself back and forth.  Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that

next year.

Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008

12:05 PM

Subject: Re: ( )

Parents of Aspie Teens

I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is

16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him

start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again.

wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress

gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes

to a private school for emotional support kids.

Take care,Betty

tonysmom821

<tonysmom821 > wrote:

I have a 15 year old.

High school is a nightmare to say the least.

He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start following

the wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. If

you've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear how

other aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try

it now.

I have a 17 year old Aspie. Last year was extremely difficult. He failed all his classes except 1 and had to go to summer school to be able to pass to 11th grade. He also missed over 40 days of school and was referred into Truancy court. I was able to get the sentence dropped due to his disability. This year has been quite a turn around gradewise and he has only missed the allowed # of days. He seems more mature and able to "handle" issues at times. He still has occasional blows ups and times where he can be set off very easily. I am convinced my son has a harder time in the winter months (possible Seasonal Affective Disorder?). He is very involved in music programs this year at school and that has improved his outlook and opinion of school. First quarter he made Highest Honors. I was very proud. He does have an IEP (not for academic work, but more organizational). He has a wonderful male case manager who he was connected with. He still tends to do things last minute or late, but overall this year is much, much better. Pam :)Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

, is also in a private school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take care,Betty <cindyelgamal@...> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the

one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Betty, that same thing happened to my car just before Christmas. UGH !!! Jewel <truegrittle@...> wrote: , is also in a private school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed

& then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take care,Betty <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think

Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday,

January 16, 2008 12:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids.

Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an

aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Tyler’s school does allow them to drive – of course,

they must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.  Right

now, there are only two students that drive to school.  (It is a very small

school and I’m not sure how many kids are driving age.)  Currently, his

dad takes him to school as he works in the area.  Until Christmas break we

carpooled and his dad took another student and then that mom picked them up.  At

present time I am picking him up every day and taking him home.  But, I have

applied with Joint Commission to be a surveyor (I’m a nurse) and if I

take a job with them I will have to travel.  The job is only “intermittent”

so I only have to commit to 5 days per month but that means I will be out of

town some and unable to pick him up.

I’m not sure what kind of car his dad is getting him.  Tyler

tells me it is going to be a “new” one which I am totally against. 

I don’t think a teenager needs a new car plus statistics show that it is

not uncommon for new drivers to have minor accidents in the first year they

drive.  I have told Tyler’s dad about two good used cars I was aware of

but he was not interested.  Oh, well, I am not the one buying it or paying for

the insurance.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of Jewel

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:15 PM

Subject: RE: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens

, is also in a private school but none

of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts

driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he

thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in

my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of

my bills so I know that they will be double next month.

Take care,Betty

<cindyelgamal@...> wrote:

Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue

for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on

schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of

individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his

driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor

just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it

(take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not

emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even

though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I

am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how

well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been

with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t

handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so

I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so

there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school

and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully,

he will be mature enough to do that next year.

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of Jewel

Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PM

Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens

I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he

is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let

him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right

again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress

gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes

to a private school for emotional support kids.

Take care,Betty

tonysmom821 <tonysmom821@...> wrote:

I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the

least.

He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start following

the wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. If

you've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear how

other aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

Mobile. Try

it now.

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

I was so mad especially since the mechanic did go ahead & put a new one ion without calling to tell us the price. That was not good business to me.Tkae care,Betty Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote: Betty, that same thing happened to my car just before Christmas. UGH !!! Jewel

<truegrittle > wrote: , is also in a private school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take care,Betty <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I

drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I've heard of mechanics doing some pretty sneaky stuff. but nothing like that... was he that despite for business? feeling mad is an understatement. Jewel <truegrittle@...> wrote: I was so mad especially since the mechanic did go ahead & put a new one ion without calling to tell us the price. That was not good business to me.Tkae care,Betty Rose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Betty, that same thing happened to my car just before Christmas. UGH !!! Jewel <truegrittle > wrote: , is also in a private school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take

care,Betty <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though

he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year.

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PMTo:

Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness

he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it

now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Actually he is loaded & wonder why...? He is pretty good at what he does but I could have gotten it done cheaper. They should have called us first. Betty Rose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote: I've heard of mechanics doing some pretty sneaky stuff. but nothing like that... was he that despite for business? feeling mad is an

understatement. Jewel <truegrittle > wrote: I was so mad especially since the mechanic did go ahead & put a new one ion without calling to tell us the price. That was not good business to me.Tkae care,Betty Rose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Betty, that same thing happened to my car just before Christmas. UGH !!! Jewel <truegrittle > wrote: , is also in a private school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take care,Betty <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet.

Tyler will be 18 in May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with

all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March

that we will but him a car. Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Sounds as though things are looking up. I have a hard time trying to picture what will do later in life. Makes me anxious.Betty ppanda65@... wrote: I have a 17 year old Aspie. Last year was extremely difficult. He failed all his classes except 1 and had to go to summer school to be able to pass to 11th grade. He also missed over 40 days of school and was referred into Truancy court. I was able to get the sentence dropped due

to his disability. This year has been quite a turn around gradewise and he has only missed the allowed # of days. He seems more mature and able to "handle" issues at times. He still has occasional blows ups and times where he can be set off very easily. I am convinced my son has a harder time in the winter months (possible Seasonal Affective Disorder?). He is very involved in music programs this year at school and that has improved his outlook and opinion of school. First quarter he made Highest Honors. I was very proud. He does have an IEP (not for academic work, but more organizational). He has a wonderful male case manager who he was connected with. He still tends to do things last minute or late, but overall this year is much, much better. Pam :) Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

<cindyelgamal@...> wrote: Tyler’s school does allow them to drive – of course, they must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance. Right now, there are only two students that drive to school. (It is a very small school and I’m not sure how many kids are driving age.) Currently, his dad takes him to school as he works in the area. Until Christmas break we carpooled and his dad took another student and then that

mom picked them up. At present time I am picking him up every day and taking him home. But, I have applied with Joint Commission to be a surveyor (I’m a nurse) and if I take a job with them I will have to travel. The job is only “intermittent” so I only have to commit to 5 days per month but that means I will be out of town some and unable to pick him up. I’m not sure what kind of car his dad is getting him. Tyler tells me it is going to be a “new” one which I am totally against. I don’t think a teenager needs a new car plus statistics show that it is not uncommon for new drivers to have minor accidents in the first year they drive. I have told Tyler’s dad about two good used cars I was aware of but he was not interested. Oh, well, I am not the one buying it

or paying for the insurance. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:15 PM Subject: RE: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens , is also in a private

school but none of the kids are allowed to drive to school. I will be petrified when he starts driving. I also can't afford him on my Insurance. And I don't know where he thinks this $ is coming from for a car for him. I just lost my transmission in my van - $1,4000 right after Christmas. I borrowed & then couldn't pay 2 of my bills so I know that they will be double next month. Take care,Betty <cindyelgamalsbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Betty – We are lucky in that driving has not been an issue for us – yet. Tyler will be 18 in

May. He got his permit on schedule at 15½ and took driver’s ed. We also did lots of individual driving lessons up until a month ago when he finally got his driver’s license – he had not been pushing, the driving instructor just said, “I think you’re ready and we’re going to do it (take test)”. I think Tyler has realized that he was not emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of driving. Even though he has his license, he is not pushing to drive on his own yet. I am not ready for him to be on his own yet – though I don’t know how well he drives as he lives with his dad and his dad is the one who has been with him when he drove. I have said that my heart and nerves can’t handle it – I have two older children (31 & 28) that I drove with so I have done my part already! We also basically live in Houston and so there is the concern with all the traffic. But, he is in a private school and it would be nice if he could

drive himself back and forth. Hopefully, he will be mature enough to do that next year. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of JewelSent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 PM Subject: Re: ( ) Parents of Aspie Teens I also have an Aspie teen. He thinks as soon as he is 16 in March that we will but him a car.

Yea right. He thinks we should let him start driving our car & that he can go anywhere any time. Yea right again. wanted to dress Gothic because some of the kids in school dress gothic,all black clothes etc.. That thank God only lasted a few days. He goes to a private school for emotional support kids. Take care,Betty tonysmom821 <tonysmom821 > wrote: I have a 15 year old. High school is a nightmare to say the least. He is an aspie teen. Because he's a follower, he did start followingthe wrong crowd. Thank goodness he is learning the hard way. Ifyou've had the same experience please post! I would like to hear howother aspie

teen parents are handling this. Thanks!! Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.