RemedySpot.com

Re: what to do about tic like behavior?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi. I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be. My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go. If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it. I think stress makes tics worse..........but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right? Also,,,,,,,,,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds. Keep us posted. Robinkatpop <katpop@...> wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is

back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi Kate, I'd leave it alone. Sometimes if you bring it to their attention it makes it worse. has Chronic Motor Tic Disorder & I've noticed when I say something about a particular one he seems to do more of it. If your son is on ADHD medicine then the tics would be noticable just like Robin said in her post. Just see what happens. Take care,Betty katpop <katpop@...> wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now.

Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

My son does this too! He started a couple of years ago. It drives me nuts b/c I think it's just kind of gross. He has lots of allergies and takes meds for it, but I suspect he still has some trouble and that's part of the problem. He also doesn't blow his nose, hardly ever and when he does, not very well. Very sad given his allergies/sinus issues!

I do think he used to do this at school when he was younger. It's not something he is always consciously aware of though (rarely, probably). I don't think he does it anymore at school though, or not very often, because he's putting together social stuff better now as he gets older (he's 11 and in the 6th grade.) Over the years, different behaviors like this have come and gone. Fingernail biting, TOENAIL BITING (ugh), pulling the hairs off his fingers/hands, those are some examples. But it seems like the behavior will crescendo, if you will, meaning it starts small then grows big, then eventually fades away. I can say none of these behaviors are gone for good now, but they've decreased in frequency.

What to do? I just remind Dylan to stop "fill-in-the-blank". I try to say it positive, instead of "don't bite your fingernails" I'll say "be nice to your fingernails." Does it help? I'm not sure. I know each behavior has lessened overtime but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my verbal reminders made all the difference. I really don't know. What I do know, from experience, is there's nothing I can do to stop it completely.

Hang in there!

( ) what to do about tic like behavior?

My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose

thing or no?Thanks kate

Do you think anything health wise is bad with chewing on hair? My son's hair has gotten long enough that he like's to suck on it. I keep telling him how gross that is but is it a phase I should just let him go through or do you think it can be harmful? He doesn't wear any hairpray or anything like that. MacAllister <smacalli@...> wrote: My son does this too! He

started a couple of years ago. It drives me nuts b/c I think it's just kind of gross. He has lots of allergies and takes meds for it, but I suspect he still has some trouble and that's part of the problem. He also doesn't blow his nose, hardly ever and when he does, not very well. Very sad given his allergies/sinus issues! I do think he used to do this at school when he was younger. It's not something he is always consciously aware of though (rarely, probably). I don't think he does it anymore at school though, or not very often, because he's putting together social stuff better now as he gets older (he's 11 and in the 6th grade.) Over the years, different behaviors like this have come and gone. Fingernail biting, TOENAIL BITING (ugh),

pulling the hairs off his fingers/hands, those are some examples. But it seems like the behavior will crescendo, if you will, meaning it starts small then grows big, then eventually fades away. I can say none of these behaviors are gone for good now, but they've decreased in frequency. What to do? I just remind Dylan to stop "fill-in-the-blank". I try to say it positive, instead of "don't bite your fingernails" I'll say "be nice to your fingernails." Does it help? I'm not sure. I know each behavior has lessened overtime but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my verbal reminders made all the difference. I really don't know. What I do know, from experience, is there's nothing I can do to stop it completely.

Hang in there! ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said

anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate

I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Hi. I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be. My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go. If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it. I think stress makes tics worse..........but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right? Also,,,,,,,,,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds. Keep us posted. Robinkatpop <katpop > wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every

10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hee hee!!!!! My son chews on his long hair, too. Hee hee. I always say that for his birthday, I'm going to get him a nice barrett. Robin Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: Do you think anything health wise is bad with chewing on hair? My son's hair has gotten long enough that he like's to suck on it. I keep telling him how gross that is but is it a phase I should just let him go through or do you think it can be harmful? He doesn't wear any hairpray or anything like

that. MacAllister <smacalli > wrote: My son does this too! He started a couple of years ago. It drives me nuts b/c I think it's just kind of gross. He has lots of allergies and takes meds for it, but I suspect he still has some trouble and that's part of the problem. He also doesn't blow his nose, hardly ever and when he does, not very well. Very sad given his allergies/sinus issues! I do think he used to do this at school when he was

younger. It's not something he is always consciously aware of though (rarely, probably). I don't think he does it anymore at school though, or not very often, because he's putting together social stuff better now as he gets older (he's 11 and in the 6th grade.) Over the years, different behaviors like this have come and gone. Fingernail biting, TOENAIL BITING (ugh), pulling the hairs off his fingers/hands, those are some examples. But it seems like the behavior will crescendo, if you will, meaning it starts small then grows big, then eventually fades away. I can say none of these behaviors are gone for good now, but they've decreased in frequency. What to do? I just remind Dylan to stop "fill-in-the-blank". I try to say it

positive, instead of "don't bite your fingernails" I'll say "be nice to your fingernails." Does it help? I'm not sure. I know each behavior has lessened overtime but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my verbal reminders made all the difference. I really don't know. What I do know, from experience, is there's nothing I can do to stop it completely. Hang in there!

( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his

normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate

Oh .... How horrible. I'm sorry for what you went through. So,,,because of your experience, do you think it's best to let them be? Not bring it up and just let people know what's up on an "as needed" basis? Robin Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I

just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hi. I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be. My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go. If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it. I think stress makes tics worse..........but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right? Also,,,,,,,,,some ADHD meds can bring on

tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds. Keep us posted. Robinkatpop <katpop > wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break,

too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Let me clarify...I will ask Dylan in a nice way to stop when he's at home but when we are in public, I would never say anything in front of other people. I might pull him aside or whisper in his ear, but I'm respectful of his feelings. Although it can be super-annoying, I would never yell at him in an angry way about it. If it's that bad, I'll just leave the room.

Re: ( ) what to do about tic like behavior?

Oh ....

How horrible.

I'm sorry for what you went through.

So,,,because of your experience, do you think it's best to let them be? Not bring it up and just let people know what's up on an "as needed" basis?

Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote:

I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com> wrote:

Hi.

I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be.

My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go.

If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it.

I think stress makes tics worse....... ...but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right?

Also,,,,,,,, ,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds.

Keep us posted.

Robinkatpop <katpop (DOT) com> wrote:

My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose

thing or no?Thanks kate

Hopefully you don't think I was implying that you were saying things in front of people. I was just saying what happened to me. That was also back when my parents nor myself knew anything about tics and they probably just thought I was doing it on purpose. MacAllister <smacalli@...> wrote: Let me clarify...I will ask Dylan in a nice way to stop when he's at home but when

we are in public, I would never say anything in front of other people. I might pull him aside or whisper in his ear, but I'm respectful of his feelings. Although it can be super-annoying, I would never yell at him in an angry way about it. If it's that bad, I'll just leave the room. Re: ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? Oh .... How horrible. I'm sorry for what you went through. So,,,because of your experience, do you think it's best to let them be? Not bring it up and just let people know what's up on an "as needed" basis? Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com> wrote: Hi. I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and

then let it be. My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go. If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it. I think stress makes tics worse....... ...but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right? Also,,,,,,,, ,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds. Keep us posted. Robinkatpop <katpop (DOT) com> wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a

story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Not at all. I just didn't want anyone to think I was advocating for being hard on their child in public. I'm sorry for what happened to you! My mom used to say things about us kids in front of other people, especially when they might compliment us "Your kids sure are playing nicely together" would be followed with her saying "Yes, but you should see them at home. I wish they were like this then." Like we could never be complimented, she would have to point out our short-comings. I don't think she was intentially trying to hurt us, but it hurt me.

You made a good point

Re: ( ) what to do about tic like behavior?

Oh ....

How horrible.

I'm sorry for what you went through.

So,,,because of your experience, do you think it's best to let them be? Not bring it up and just let people know what's up on an "as needed" basis?

Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote:

I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs (DOT) com> wrote:

Hi.

I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be.

My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go.

If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it.

I think stress makes tics worse....... ...but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right?

Also,,,,,,,, ,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds.

Keep us posted.

Robinkatpop <katpop (DOT) com> wrote:

thing or no?Thanks kate

Probably. I know they were phases and I don't think that anyone getting mad at me made me stop any sooner. Just made me feel bad. But...I think if the parent KNOWS it's tics or something they can't control and is just trying to help them be aware of it if they're doing it and that the parent is on THEIR side, than it probably wouldn't be nearly as hurtful. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Oh .... How horrible. I'm sorry for what you went through. So,,,because of your experience, do you

think it's best to let them be? Not bring it up and just let people know what's up on an "as needed" basis? Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: I used to have tics like that growing up. I'd sniff or roll my eyes or raise my eyebrows (I went through phases of each of those) and my parents would tell me to stop. We didn't know at the time that that's what it was. I just know it was so embarrasing if I did that in front of someone and my dad would get mad. I couldn't help it. Once my dad got mad at me for sniffling in front of my aunt and she couldn't believe he had gotten mad. Then I spent the day with her and when we got back I heard her say to him, "I see what you mean now." It made me feel awful! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hi. I'd maybe ask him is he is breathing ok,,,,,,and then let it be. My son does things like this from time to time. They come and go. If it becomes bothersome, I'd take him in. There are meds that can be rx'd for tics, but some choose to deal with it. I think stress makes tics worse..........but heck,,,,,stress makes everything worse, right? Also,,,,,,,,,some ADHD meds can bring on tics. I think it's the stimulant in them. Just thought I'd let you know that in case he's on any meds. Keep us posted. Robinkatpop <katpop > wrote: My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every

10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

My son's school's "crazy hair day" is coming up and he's going to let me give him pigtails! I can't wait. I don't have any girls and I used to always want a girl when I was younger so I could do their hair. Although that may not have happened if I had a girl anyway. My luck I'd have a girl who didn't even want to brush her hair! I have to beg my son (or bribe him) to let me comb his hair. I just love it! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: Hee hee!!!!! My son chews on his long hair, too. Hee hee. I always say that for his birthday, I'm going to get him a nice barrett. Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Do you think anything health wise is bad with chewing on hair? My son's hair has gotten long enough that he like's to suck on it. I keep telling him how gross that is but is it a phase I should just let him go through or do you think it can be harmful? He doesn't wear any hairpray or anything like that. MacAllister <smacalli > wrote: My son does this too! He started a couple of years

ago. It drives me nuts b/c I think it's just kind of gross. He has lots of allergies and takes meds for it, but I suspect he still has some trouble and that's part of the problem. He also doesn't blow his nose, hardly ever and when he does, not very well. Very sad given his allergies/sinus issues! I do think he used to do this at school when he was younger. It's not something he is always consciously aware of though (rarely, probably). I don't think he does it anymore at school though, or not very often, because he's putting together social stuff better now as he gets older (he's 11 and in the 6th grade.) Over the years, different behaviors like this have come and gone. Fingernail biting, TOENAIL BITING (ugh), pulling the hairs off his

fingers/hands, those are some examples. But it seems like the behavior will crescendo, if you will, meaning it starts small then grows big, then eventually fades away. I can say none of these behaviors are gone for good now, but they've decreased in frequency. What to do? I just remind Dylan to stop "fill-in-the-blank". I try to say it positive, instead of "don't bite your fingernails" I'll say "be nice to your fingernails." Does it help? I'm not sure. I know each behavior has lessened overtime but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my verbal reminders made all the difference. I really don't know. What I do know, from experience, is there's nothing I can do to stop it completely. Hang in there! ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it

yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

That is fricken funny!!!You know,,,,I have 2 girls and they HATE anything with their hair. Ian's is so nice and thick,,,,,,,man,,,,,,,,,when it grows out of the "is it long or is it short...." stage....and becomes real long hair instead of the hair that makes you wonder what's in it... it'll look awesome. Ha ha. PLEASE post a pix of "crazy hair day". I like your son. Robin Essenfeld <lessen@...> wrote: My son's school's "crazy hair day" is coming up and he's

going to let me give him pigtails! I can't wait. I don't have any girls and I used to always want a girl when I was younger so I could do their hair. Although that may not have happened if I had a girl anyway. My luck I'd have a girl who didn't even want to brush her hair! I have to beg my son (or bribe him) to let me comb his hair. I just love it! and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: Hee hee!!!!! My son chews on his long hair, too. Hee hee. I always say that for his birthday, I'm going to get him a nice barrett. Robin Essenfeld <lessensbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Do you think anything health wise is bad with chewing on hair? My son's hair has gotten

long enough that he like's to suck on it. I keep telling him how gross that is but is it a phase I should just let him go through or do you think it can be harmful? He doesn't wear any hairpray or anything like that. MacAllister <smacalli > wrote: My son does this too! He started a couple of years ago. It drives me nuts b/c I think it's just kind of gross. He has lots of allergies and takes meds for it, but I suspect he still has some trouble and that's part of the problem. He also doesn't blow his nose, hardly ever and when he does, not very well. Very sad given his allergies/sinus issues! I do think he used to do this at school when he was younger. It's not something he is always consciously aware of though (rarely, probably). I don't think he does it anymore at school though, or not very often, because he's putting together social stuff better now as he gets older (he's 11 and in the 6th grade.) Over the years, different behaviors like this have come and gone. Fingernail biting, TOENAIL BITING (ugh), pulling the hairs off his fingers/hands, those are some examples. But it seems like the behavior will crescendo, if you will, meaning it starts small then grows big, then eventually fades away. I can say none of these behaviors are gone for good now, but they've decreased in frequency. What to do? I just remind Dylan to stop "fill-in-the-blank". I try to say it positive, instead of "don't bite your fingernails" I'll say "be nice to your fingernails." Does it help? I'm not sure. I know each behavior has lessened overtime but I'm not fooling myself into thinking my verbal reminders made all the difference. I really don't know. What I do know, from experience, is there's nothing I can do to stop it completely. Hang in there! ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially.

And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

You made me pee my pants. I'm honestly laughing really hard right now. Ian thought the "look like cavemen" was pretty funny and asked what was wrong with that? But first he had to say that he WAS NOT A HIPPIE!!!! Maybe someday he'll realize that that would be cool.......at least to me. Ha ha.RobinToni <kbtoni@...> wrote: Robin and other moms of 'hippy' looking teenagers: both of my guys look like cavemen with their

long hair. I try to put n's in a pony tail when I can catch him in a good mood :) n had died his hair blonde so he is about half (top) dark brown headed and bottom blonde. I even suggested getting their haircut like the anime guys and they said they would think about it. ( that means no, right? hehe) He twists his an Noah keeps his hanging down in his face. I told Noah he looked like Josh Grogan with it out of his face and he said WHO?? They ARE getting better about not having the back look like a rats nest because ...I told them if they didn't start brushing they would have to cut it all off...until they lived alone and I didn't have to look at the back of their heads and think they look cavemen coming out of the cave..or hermits or homeless . It just embarrasses me for some reason even though they say they always (not) brush before going out. Oh well, on a positive!! note at least I KNOW where they are every night and don't have to worry

about them becoming dads, driving drunk, or experimenting with drugs.. Toni (wordy, wordy) ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe

doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Robin : sorry about the peeing. Please tell Ian that I apologize for calling them hippies.. They are a TRIP, aren't they? Ok, so now that I think of it, Noah really DOES look like the cavemen when he won't shave and has straggly, sparse hair here and>>> >>>there. He would kill me if he knew I was talking about him. I love these guys Soooo much. so innocent and confident ( in some ways ) and downright interesting in the way they think. Maybe my kids are right and we ( NT) are the ones that are wired wrong... tell Ian that... .grin. Toni

( ) what to do about tic like behavior?

My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?Thanks kate

I'll definitely tell him. He'll agree with you that there's not a darned thing wrong with him.... ....that the rest of the world can't learn to deal with. Ha ha. Ian's hair is like straw. So thick....with cowlicks all over. It hangs over in the front down past his nose. But,,,,,it doesn't hang "straight". He pulls it all over to cover one eye so that he can "function" and make his way throughout the house. (Think "Flock of Seagulls")..... When he's "done" with us or out somewhere,,,,,he'll totally cover his eyes and make a "peephole". It freaks people out and I find myself grinning because he's seriously just trying to "get out" of the situation or to prove to me that he didn't want to "get out". The minute we get back in the car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I get to see his other eye, again. Now.......the sides

of his hair some some freakish reason aren't as long as the front and these still hang low, though. But,,,,these, as well as the back,,,,,are filled with cowlicks. They stick up and out,,,,but the length of the hair keeps it "down" just enough to stick straight out. The only time it's down is when he JUST gets out of the shower. As it dries,,,,,it takes form again. ANd,,,,,,,,,,,,,I gotta say that my son has just now joined the ranks of having long, greasy hair. He goes in the shower,,,,,,,comes down and his hair is either dry, only wet in the back OR you can feel where the "spray" of the shower "landed" on his hair. So,,,,,,,I told him that he's got to use shampoo or I'll do it. He screamed, "NOOOOOOO" and ran back up to get it. THen,,,,,,,,,,,he came back down,,,,,wet hair,,,,,,,I could see soap. He put it ON his hair and then went under the water for a bit and was done.

I then had him go up and SCRUB his hair TO THE SKIN. Good Lord. I PRAY that God sends a darned good woman to him someday. Cause,,,,,darnit....he's probably gonna need it. He DESERVES it, though, too,,,,,,,,,,I just wonder if anyone is gonna ever be able to see him as a man,,,,the way I saw , ya know? Ugh. Well,,,,,,,,,,,I started this email as a funny one,,,and now it's taking the "down turn"....so I'm done. Ha ha. RobinToni <kbtoni@...> wrote: Robin : sorry about the peeing. Please tell Ian that I apologize for calling them hippies.. They are a TRIP, aren't they? Ok, so now that I think of it, Noah really DOES look like the cavemen when he won't shave and has straggly, sparse hair here and>>> >>>there. He would kill me if he knew I was talking about him. I love these guys Soooo much. so innocent and confident ( in some ways ) and downright interesting in the way they think. Maybe my kids are right and we ( NT) are the ones that are wired wrong... tell Ian that... .grin. Toni ( ) what to do about tic like behavior? My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nosewhere he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds orso...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he isdoing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he sayshe doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her. Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Orshould I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is thefirst one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms reallystepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially. And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before thathe went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hita big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Anyideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or

no?Thanks kate Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I chewed on my hair in 1st grade and continued to do it most of the school year. My teacher would reward me with a sticker if I did not chew on it all day. It seemed to work, I think it made me more conscience of what I was doing because I wanted that sticker. Before the hair chewing I sucked my thumb and about a year after the hair chewing I would eat the erasers off of pencils. I stopped the eraser eating after my aunt told me it would erase all of my insides! lol I now do none of these things so I guess it was just something I went through and I know I usually did them when I was nervous. I was a very shy child so I think I did them for comfort.

HopeStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Thumb sucking was a very hard habit to break and I really wanted to stop. I remember I would go to bed with socks on my hands because during the night my thumb would go back in my mouth without me being aware of it. Luckily none of my three children developed the habit but they all loved the pacifier when they were babies. I still love to drink from a straw and find it some what comforting....I always figured that has something to do with the years I sucked my thumb.

Hope DavenportA candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

It is possible that he may not be doing this at school and that it could due

to allergies to something in the home and not in the school. Mention this

to his Pediatrician next time he is there.

Dee

>

> My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nose

> where he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds or

> so...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he is

> doing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,

> and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he says

> he doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her.

> Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Or

> should I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is the

> first one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms really

> stepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially.

> And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before that

> he went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hit

> a big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Any

> ideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?

> Thanks

> kate

>

Sorry for my late reaction, but I am catching up with reading e-mails.

If the snorting has no medical reason (cold, allergies,...) you might

want to look at the symptoms of Tourette Syndrome, also on the Autism

Spectrum.

http://www.tourette.ca/whatists_symptoms.php

I have a friend with 2 teenagers with TS and one of them does the snort

thing. It comes and goes though.

>

> My 6yo son who has AS just started doing this thing with his nose

> where he breathes out like a small snort about every 10 seconds or

> so...he doesnt have a cold and I dont think he even realizes he is

> doing it. But I mentioned it to him while we were reading a story,

> and asked him if his teacher and said anything about it yet..he says

> he doesnt do it at school ;) but I bet he does. I will ask her.

> Anyway.....do I try to stop him from doing it? Can he help it? Or

> should I just leave it alone and see if it goes away? This is the

> first one that its pretty constant. Seems like his AS symptoms really

> stepped up since Christmas break, too. More stuttering, especially.

> And he is getting upset easier too, it seems. But right before that

> he went through a spell where he was eating like a horse, maybe he hit

> a big growth spurt? He is back down to his normal appetite now. Any

> ideas? Should I make a deal out of the nose thing or no?

> Thanks

> kate

>