RemedySpot.com

social life

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All,

This is Emmett - we have had several requests from parents in the area to start a social club for adults with asd. One parent suggested we use a cutting edge model out of Baltimore that combines social instruction groups with real life experiences and fun. After the New Year, I will send out information on this model to gain feedback to see if there is interest in moving forward with this model.

E

I wish I could supply you with names and numbers, but our situation is different (relatively non-verbal autism and we live in the northern suburbs) and I do not know what is available in your area for your son.

I hope one of our members will have some ideas and respond.

Be patient, because it is holiday time. If you get no responses, PLEASE post again after Jan. 1.

Ellen

Ellen Garber Bronfeldegskb@...

Social life

Hi,I have a question. I have a "highly functional developmentally delayed" son who is 23 years old. He lives on his own, has a driver's licience (does limited driving) and takes the train back and forth to his part time job. Sam tells me his life would be wonderful if he had someone to go out with. We have been involved with NEDSRA (which is a great park district) but he doesn't feel he can find someone his level. Any suggestions where Sam could go to meet people? Thanks for your help!Kay

Hi Ellen, Thanks so much! KayEllen Bronfeld <egskb@...> wrote: I wish I could supply you with names and numbers, but our situation is different (relatively non-verbal autism and we live in the northern suburbs) and I do not know what is available in your area for your son. I hope one of our members will have some ideas

and respond. Be patient, because it is holiday time. If you get no responses, PLEASE post again after Jan. 1. Ellen Ellen Garber Bronfeldegskbsbcglobal (DOT) net Social life Hi,I have a question. I have a "highly functional developmentally delayed" son who is 23 years old. He lives on his own, has a driver's licience (does limited driving) and takes the train back and forth to his part time job. Sam tells me his life would be wonderful if he had someone to go out with. We have been involved with NEDSRA (which is a great park district) but he doesn't feel he can find someone his level. Any suggestions where Sam could go to meet people? Thanks for your help!Kay

Kay, I also have son, 22 years old who also would like to meet people. really wants a social life, friends and a girlfriend. works part-time at Home Depot, does not drive and lives with me. I also am interested in any suggestions for to meet people. We currently live in Clarendon Hills. Thank you On 12/29/06,

kay4948 <kelmore@...> wrote:

Hi,

I have a question. I have a " highly functional developmentally

delayed " son who is 23 years old. He lives on his own, has a driver's

licience (does limited driving) and takes the train back and forth to

his part time job. Sam tells me his life would be wonderful if he had

someone to go out with. We have been involved with NEDSRA (which is a

great park district) but he doesn't feel he can find someone his

level. Any suggestions where Sam could go to meet people?

Thanks for your help!

Kay

-- Tami Andress 427 Hudson AveClarendon Hills, IL 60514 630.850.7908

, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

I cannot imagine there would not be an interest in such a group.

There are social opportunities in my area through NSSRA and Glenkirk, but they are not "therapuetic" in the way you are describing.

Thanks for the response.

Ellen

Re: Social life

Hi All,

This is Emmett - we have had several requests from parents in the area to start a social club for adults with asd. One parent suggested we use a cutting edge model out of Baltimore that combines social instruction groups with real life experiences and fun. After the New Year, I will send out information on this model to gain feedback to see if there is interest in moving forward with this model.

E

fHi -

I look forward to your information as I tried for over a year to

engage an SLP skilled in AAC to facilitate a social group for kids

who rely on AAC for their communication. However, billing for group therapy

was an issue that continued to block us from moving forward.

That's how the west-suburban AAC lunch group began. Fortunately, very skilled

SLPs review my " AACtivities " and structure, and provide input and guidance.

They are also willing to volunteer a few times a year and join us for a

specifically

planned activity.

Pam

--

Strengthening the Family's Voice of AAC /

Promoting communication for people with complex communication needs

/group/PACT

-------------- Original message ----------------------

> Hi All,

>

> This is Emmett - we have had several requests from parents in the area

> to start a social club for adults with asd. One parent suggested we use a

> cutting edge model out of Baltimore that combines social instruction groups

> with real life experiences and fun. After the New Year, I will send out

> information on this model to gain feedback to see if there is interest in

> moving

> forward with this model.

>

> E

Hi All,

E

Hi Kay. There are other SRAs that may have some particpants like your

son. There's SEASPAR (my area), Gateway, and WRSDA. Usually these

organizations have Social Club programs which I think would be a great

place for him to meet someone. They all host dances which he can also

check out.

>

> Hi,

>

> I have a question. I have a " highly functional developmentally

> delayed " son who is 23 years old. He lives on his own, has a

driver's

> licience (does limited driving) and takes the train back and forth to

> his part time job. Sam tells me his life would be wonderful if he

had

> someone to go out with. We have been involved with NEDSRA (which is

a

> great park district) but he doesn't feel he can find someone his

> level. Any suggestions where Sam could go to meet people?

>

> Thanks for your help!

>

> Kay

>

, Ups for Downs hosted a training from OSU, " Next Chapters Book Club "

.. Very interesting concept many of us were interested in. The youbg people

get together at local spots, barnes and NOble etc books are selected, and

read by the individuals in the group. This is aimred at people with DD, so

the model is written for a different reading level. It is social,

community, and to the surprise of the people doing it, there has been an

increase in reading level. Cindi

Kay:

You say you have been involved w/NEDSRA in the past. Has he ever

participated in Special Olympics? You can inquire at the NEDSRA

office about him joining their program. Also, you can check w/the

office staff for the Adult programs current listing. NWSRA has a

weekly program called " Nighthawks " that is different activities on

Fridays. My son, 20yo, has done some of those activities & has really

had a great time! There are new programs starting just after the 1st

of the year.

Special Olympics is a great way for everyone to make wonderful

friends! Families also end up getting involved with SO - coaching,

administrative, whatever you want to! (We turn NO ONE away). They

don't have to be athletes - there are lots of different " sports " to

choose from.

I'm new to the list & don't know the history of anyone, but just

thought I would add what has worked for us.

Happy New Year.

, mother to Kenny (AS;ADHD;EBD) & (nt) 21yo & a

student @ EIU, majoring in SpEd with an emphasis on autism!

Thanks to so many of our members who are contributing such great information and ideas.

As co-moderator, and I am sure I speak for my two wonderful partners, we wish each and every one of the IPADDU members a year of laughter, productivity, good health and fulfilled dreams and hopes.

Happy New Year.

Ellen, Laurie and Marie

Re: Social life

Kay:You say you have been involved w/NEDSRA in the past. Has he ever participated in Special Olympics? You can inquire at the NEDSRA office about him joining their program. Also, you can check w/the office staff for the Adult programs current listing. NWSRA has a weekly program called "Nighthawks" that is different activities on Fridays. My son, 20yo, has done some of those activities & has really had a great time! There are new programs starting just after the 1st of the year.Special Olympics is a great way for everyone to make wonderful friends! Families also end up getting involved with SO - coaching, administrative, whatever you want to! (We turn NO ONE away). They don't have to be athletes - there are lots of different "sports" to choose from.I'm new to the list & don't know the history of anyone, but just thought I would add what has worked for us.Happy New Year., mother to Kenny (AS;ADHD;EBD) & (nt) 21yo & a student @ EIU, majoring in SpEd with an emphasis on autism!

I would add my wishes to Ellen's for a happy New Year to everyone! Much happiness to us all--and especially for our kids. Let's work to make it so!

Marie>> Thanks to so many of our members who are contributing such great information and ideas. > As co-moderator, and I am sure I speak for my two wonderful partners, we wish each and every one of the IPADDU members a year of laughter, productivity, good health and fulfilled dreams and hopes.> Happy New Year.> Ellen, Laurie and Marie > Ellen Garber Bronfeld> egskb@...> Re: Social life> > > Kay:> You say you have been involved w/NEDSRA in the past. Has he ever > participated in Special Olympics? You can inquire at the NEDSRA > office about him joining their program. Also, you can check w/the > office staff for the Adult programs current listing. NWSRA has a > weekly program called "Nighthawks" that is different activities on > Fridays. My son, 20yo, has done some of those activities & has really > had a great time! There are new programs starting just after the 1st > of the year.> > Special Olympics is a great way for everyone to make wonderful > friends! Families also end up getting involved with SO - coaching, > administrative, whatever you want to! (We turn NO ONE away). They > don't have to be athletes - there are lots of different "sports" to > choose from.> > I'm new to the list & don't know the history of anyone, but just > thought I would add what has worked for us.> > Happy New Year.> , mother to Kenny (AS;ADHD;EBD) & (nt) 21yo & a > student @ EIU, majoring in SpEd with an emphasis on autism!>

Hi Liz,We have been involved in special Olympics and NEDSRA, and both are wonderful programs. My husband teaches self defense classes for special needs adults through NEDSRA. We have both been very involved.Our issue is after high school Sam attended SIU's (wonderful, fantastic, life changing, get the idea) Independent Life Skills program for about 9 1/2 months. When Sam came home, we set him up in his own place, and he lives pretty much independently. (with some help from us) We are so proud of him, and it has been a struggle to get to this point. Sam feels most of the people he meets at NEDSRA are not at his level, which is pretty high level. I understand his concerns and am trying to find some other social opportunities. Don't get me wrong NEDSRA is wonderful, the parents and staff and participants are great, it's just Sam feels he has moved beyond. He's in a space

where he is above NEDSRA, but not quite normal. Does this make sense? Sam would like a girlfriend and to live a normal life without being labeled "special."I hope I've explained this well and not offended anyone.Happy New Year!KayLiz <dizlizgraf@...> wrote: Kay: You say you have been involved w/NEDSRA in the past. Has he ever participated in Special Olympics? You can inquire at the NEDSRA office about him joining their program. Also, you can check w/the office staff for

the Adult programs current listing. NWSRA has a weekly program called "Nighthawks" that is different activities on Fridays. My son, 20yo, has done some of those activities & has really had a great time! There are new programs starting just after the 1st of the year. Special Olympics is a great way for everyone to make wonderful friends! Families also end up getting involved with SO - coaching, administrative, whatever you want to! (We turn NO ONE away). They don't have to be athletes - there are lots of different "sports" to choose from. I'm new to the list & don't know the history of anyone, but just thought I would add what has worked for us. Happy New Year. , mother to Kenny (AS;ADHD;EBD) & (nt) 21yo & a student @ EIU, majoring in SpEd with an emphasis on autism!

In my opinion, Kay you have explained it very well and I certainly do not take offense. I have a son without some of those skills. I applaud your sons many successes. I hear from some families in our community, the same sorts of concerns. One young man in our community who happens to be a fantastic bowler has joined a regular bowling league and that has given him some expanded social network. If your son has some particular interest, perhaps he can find a group to hook up with. I know this is a huge challenge as so many social contacts are made through work more than any place else.

The families I know are not in your area, otherwise a social group might work, but not when the travel is 25 miles or more!

Ellen

Re: Re: Social life

Hi Liz,We have been involved in special Olympics and NEDSRA, and both are wonderful programs. My husband teaches self defense classes for special needs adults through NEDSRA. We have both been very involved.Our issue is after high school Sam attended SIU's (wonderful, fantastic, life changing, get the idea) Independent Life Skills program for about 9 1/2 months. When Sam came home, we set him up in his own place, and he lives pretty much independently. (with some help from us) We are so proud of him, and it has been a struggle to get to this point. Sam feels most of the people he meets at NEDSRA are not at his level, which is pretty high level. I understand his concerns and am trying to find some other social opportunities. Don't get me wrong NEDSRA is wonderful, the parents and staff and participants are great, it's just Sam feels he has moved beyond. He's in a space where he is above NEDSRA, but not quite normal. Does this make sense? Sam would like a girlfriend and to live a normal life without being labeled "special."I hope I've explained this well and not offended anyone.Happy New Year!KayLiz <dizlizgrafcomcast (DOT) net> wrote:

Kay:You say you have been involved w/NEDSRA in the past. Has he ever participated in Special Olympics? You can inquire at the NEDSRA office about him joining their program. Also, you can check w/the office staff for the Adult programs current listing. NWSRA has a weekly program called "Nighthawks" that is different activities on Fridays. My son, 20yo, has done some of those activities & has really had a great time! There are new programs starting just after the 1st of the year.Special Olympics is a great way for everyone to make wonderful friends! Families also end up getting involved with SO - coaching, administrative, whatever you want to! (We turn NO ONE away). They don't have to be athletes - there are lots of different "sports" to choose from.I'm new to the list & don't know the history of anyone, but just thought I would add what has worked for us.Happy New Year., mother to Kenny (AS;ADHD;EBD) & (nt) 21yo & a student @ EIU, majoring in SpEd with an emphasis on autism!

, I would be most interested in such a group for my 19 year old

daughter, and I think it is needed. Thank you

>

> Hi All,

>

> This is Emmett - we have had several requests from parents in

the area

> to start a social club for adults with asd. One parent suggested

we use a

> cutting edge model out of Baltimore that combines social

instruction groups

> with real life experiences and fun. After the New Year, I will