RemedySpot.com

my 4 year old son has regressed and started showing a new symptom

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My 4 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. He goes to

speech therapy and vocational therapy at the doctors once every other

week. He aslo goes to special ed classes on a week at his preschool.

Within the last 2 weeks, my son has actually regressed and he is

showing a new symptom. He has starting hitting himself, objects, and in

some cases, his classmates. When I tell him to stop or why is he doing

that, he responds " I can't control myself " What can I do as a parent to

help him? I feel so helpless.

ask the doctor if a medication will help him. Or if he has started a new medication you may want to ask the doctor if it could be the cause. Some food allergies will cause our kids to react strange. Leave red dye and the others out of his diet. My son is on the gfcf diet. His stomach is better on this diet.

( ) my 4 year old son has regressed and started showing a new symptom

My 4 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. He goes to speech therapy and vocational therapy at the doctors once every other week. He aslo goes to special ed classes on a week at his preschool. Within the last 2 weeks, my son has actually regressed and he is showing a new symptom. He has starting hitting himself, objects, and in some cases, his classmates. When I tell him to stop or why is he doing that, he responds "I can't control myself" What can I do as a parent to help him? I feel so helpless.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

See a therapist; this 'is' (in my opinion and experience) ASPERGERS; it sounds like you are walking our former steps.....They CANNOT help it; they have to learn new ways, and medication interventions help, too (when my children tell me things like your child did----I realize it is bigger than they are---that is a medication issue----that would be like your child saying, I am seeing things that are not there----while that is exagerated, in our minds, we know that is possibly a mental health problem----they are saying, I CANNOT HELP IT----that is something they should not be punished for!! They cannot help it if they are seeing things!! They don't WANT TO----so, it is a teaching moment, and trying to learn new ways; identifying what started it / give a new thing to do when they are feeling that way---they CAN learn to know when they are about to blow up (if you will)----and that is when they can react differently----it will take a LONG TIME!!! But, you must realize they don't want to do it, and treat them accordingly (you would not want punished for passing out because you thought your blood sugar was normal even though you are 'diabetic' for example; so, while an extreme example, just keep it in mind).......your child is counting on it!! They want to be good; and we hear that at our house all the time; they hate it, too!!!!

Ruthie

My 4 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. He goes to speech therapy and vocational therapy at the doctors once every other week. He aslo goes to special ed classes on a week at his preschool. Within the last 2 weeks, my son has actually regressed and he is showing a new symptom. He has starting hitting himself, objects, and in some cases, his classmates. When I tell him to stop or why is he doing that, he responds "I can't control myself" What can I do as a parent to help him? I feel so helpless.

Hi, you wrote: When I tell him to stop or why is he doing that, he responds "I can't control myself" What can I do as a parent to help him? I feel so helpless. I'm wondering if a 4 year old can have reasoning like that to say " I can't control myself " or if someone is saying that in an angry voice, telling him, to control yourself ! and he's repeating that back? as for the hitting himself. sounds like he's feeling really bad or maybe being told he's bad. I can be wrong about this whole thought. but to me "unless your 4 year old has a very strong vocabulary " answering your question with: I can't control myself - would be a red flag to

me. regressing and showing new symptoms is another red flag. I would be at both schools today with my child if that were me...especially at 4 yrs.. Can you ask him --- what does that mean ---- I can't control myself?.. I wonder what his answer would be?. Rose jessicalritchie <jessicalritchie@...> wrote: . My 4 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. He goes to speech therapy and vocational therapy at the doctors once every other week. He aslo goes to special ed classes on a week at his preschool. Within the last 2 weeks, my son has actually regressed and he is showing a new symptom. He has starting hitting himself, objects, and in some cases, his classmates. When I tell him to stop or why is he doing that, he responds "I can't control myself" What can I do as a parent to help him? I feel so helpless.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Hi. I would venture to guess that it is stress/frustration. Since you have a diagnosis and you are already dealing with sp ed at his preschool, I'd physically go in and chat with the sp ed director/teacher 1 on 1. Express your concerns and what you're seeing. The sooner you help create a good "working" relationship with the school, the better. Hopefully, a good relationship will continue,,,,,cause lots of times, it doesn't. So,,,,I'd definitely go in and chat. Also, someone else mentioned going to your doc. Yep,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least call him/her. Explain what you're seeing. If he's on meds, it might be the meds. If he's not on meds, it may be that something could help him OR it may simply be behavior that needs to be addressed by you and the school because this is something that is a part of him right now..........and that's ok. We all

deal with stress/things differently. And if this is how he deals with it right now, it's best that you and the people he spends a bunch of time with, know how to help him LEARN a better way of dealing with it. SO,,,,, Good luck and keep us posted.Robinjessicalritchie <jessicalritchie@...> wrote: My 4 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. He goes to speech therapy and vocational therapy at the doctors once every other week. He aslo goes to special ed classes on a week at his preschool.

Within the last 2 weeks, my son has actually regressed and he is showing a new symptom. He has starting hitting himself, objects, and in some cases, his classmates. When I tell him to stop or why is he doing that, he responds "I can't control myself" What can I do as a parent to help him? I feel so helpless.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Some people feel medication is cruel.. Or a mistake or.. Even a short cut.

I see it as an aide. Should your doctor and your homeopath or naturopath .. Consider all aspects

Including some child yoga.. And massage therapy.. Along with meds.. This can be a win win situation . These meltdowns when viewed by peers can be very detrimental to their future social

Development too

-- Re: ( ) my 4 year old son has regressed and started showing a new symptom

See a therapist; this 'is' (in my opinion and experience) ASPERGERS; it sounds like you are walking our former steps.....They CANNOT help it; they have to learn new ways, and medication interventions help, too (when my children tell me things like your child did----I realize it is bigger than they are---that is a medication issue----that would be like your child saying, I am seeing things that are not there----while that is exagerated, in our minds, we know that is possibly a mental health problem----they are saying, I CANNOT HELP IT----that is something they should not be punished for!! They cannot help it if they are seeing things!! They don't WANT TO----so, it is a teaching moment, and trying to learn new ways; identifying what started it / give a new thing to do when they are feeling that way---they CAN learn to know when they are about to blow up (if you will)----and that is when they can react differently----it will take a LONG TIME!!! But, you must realize they don't want to do it, and treat them accordingly (you would not want punished for passing out because you thought your blood sugar was normal even though you are 'diabetic' for example; so, while an extreme example, just keep it in mind).......your child is counting on it!! They want to be good; and we hear that at our house all the time; they hate it, too!!!!

Ruthie