RemedySpot.com

Independent Education Evaluation (IEE)???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Has anyone here ever been through an IEE at public expense?

What happens or is supposed to happen before and during it (once it's

already requested and approved for public pay by district)?

What happens at the IEP after it? Do the school personnel (their part

of the IEP team) ever wind up changing the Dx and services because of

the IEE report? Meaning if your child was not qulified for services in

the eval do they ever change it because of an IEE.

I already know the law for this...I just need some personal stories of

how things went and whether you had to keep fighting for help for your

child.

Thanks!

We had an IEE at public expense many years ago, when my son was 11. The school district's evaluation showed that he was not eligible for services. Ours showed that he needed OT, ST, adaptive PE, and counseling. The district abided by the IEE and found a program that met his needs. Elementary school through the end of middle school was really great. High school didn't work out as well, but we didn't have to fight to get what he needed; the program just didn't meet his needs any more. The district happily sent him somewhere else.LizOn Jan 18, 2008, at 2:04 AM, mommy1as wrote:Has anyone here ever been through an IEE at public expense?What happens or is supposed to happen before and during it (once it'salready requested and approved for public pay by district)? What happens at the IEP after it? Do the school personnel (their partof the IEP team) ever wind up changing the Dx and services because ofthe IEE report? Meaning if your child was not qulified for services in the eval do they ever change it because of an IEE. I already know the law for this...I just need some personal stories of how things went and whether you had to keep fighting for help for your child.Thanks!

Yes, we've done it a few times (several kids.) We requested it and the school either set it up or we did. They might send you a list of approved choices but I don't believe you are confined to those. We gave the name of someone we wanted each time and they said "OK" and we had them put the paperwork through to get the IEE started.

At the IEP after an IEE, it's a free for all, lol. I guess it depends on the people at the IEP and their attitude towards educating children. We've had various responses. Some "teams" still will refuse to believe it, discount the results or whatever. Other teams will really read the results and use them to make appropriate decisions for the benefit of the child. It's really hard to say how it would go because schools vary so widely.

I suggest you make a list of what you want and then find the data that supports what you are trying to get in place for your child. Data will be within the IEE, to be sure. But you can also collect data from other places and sources. The more, the better. If the team wants to discount one item of data, you can pile of the rest of the data supporting your request.

RoxannaAutism Happens

( ) Independent Education Evaluation (IEE)???

Has anyone here ever been through an IEE at public expense?What happens or is supposed to happen before and during it (once it'salready requested and approved for public pay by district)? What happens at the IEP after it? Do the school personnel (their partof the IEP team) ever wind up changing the Dx and services because ofthe IEE report? Meaning if your child was not qulified for services in the eval do they ever change it because of an IEE. I already know the law for this...I just need some personal stories of how things went and whether you had to keep fighting for help for your child.Thanks!