RemedySpot.com

Re: Good things do happen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sue, that's great news.. its so good to hear the good things once in a while... very happy for you and your son !!! its good to hear he will be getting his "advanced diploma". and he'll be able to do something he's interested in. can't get better than that !!!! good for you both.. glad to hear everything went very well with his IEP !!! we don't read that to often... Rosesuetois <suetois@...> wrote: I just thought I'd post about something good that's going on in my 16yo's life. We just

had an IEP to determine where he'll be going academically for the next year--and planned for where he'll be going over the next few years. He'll be a junior next year. We've decided to send him to the district's votech program. He'll be in a small computer maintenance course (7 kids, one instructor) that runs for two years and leads to A+ certification. Normally that would mean that we'd have to pull him out of the college-track program and go for a Standard diploma instead of an Advanced Diploma. But. During his 8th grade IEP, his P.E. teacher suggested that we skip doing gym during his freshman year because Ian wouldn't be able to deal with the noise, competitive nature of activities, and social concerns required for dressing for P.E. Here in VA, you have to have two P.E. credits to graduate. Ian got one this year (in a modified P.E. class--which worked very well), but he won't be able to get the other credit while he's in

the votech program.So he'll have to spend a fifth year in high school, during which time he'll also be able to complete the requirements for the Advanced Diploma. Yeay! He gets to learn an employable technical skill that he's interested in, and we still get to keep him on the college track so his options are still open. Plus he gets an extra year to mature.And, as icing on the cake, his math teacher and caseworker are planning to let him transfer into an honors math class in the next couple of weeks because he's been doing so well in the team-taught class.This IEP was definitely a win-win situation for us.Sue C. (I apologize for the strange line breaks. I'm not computer literate enough to be able to figure out what's going wrong when I post.)

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Sue,

Just curious-where about in VA are you from? My son is

going to be evaluated for Vo-Tech next month. We are

hoping to get him in the computer classes (animation,

programming, etc.) But his guidance counselor

suggested we have him evaluated, so they have

scheduled him for it in Feb.

I am in Purcellville. (Northern VA)

-Melinda H (mom to , 15, AS, OCD, ADHD)

Casey, 13 (going on 18 NT)

, 7, speech delay, possible CAPD

Zac, 13 months!AAAAHHHH!!!!

That's great news for you! It's refreshing hearing about positive moves on the part of the school, it gives me hope.

( ) Good things do happen

I just thought I'd post about something good that's going on in my 16yo's life. We just had an IEP to determine where he'll be going academically for the next year--and planned for where he'll be going over the next few years. He'll be a junior next year. We've decided to send him to the district's votech program. He'll be in a small computer maintenance course (7 kids, one instructor) that runs for two years and leads to A+ certification. Normally that would mean that we'd have to pull him out of the college-track program and go for a Standard diploma instead of an Advanced Diploma. But. During his 8th grade IEP, his P.E. teacher suggested that we skip doing gym during his freshman year because Ian wouldn't be able to deal with the noise, competitive nature of activities, and social concerns required for dressing for P.E. Here in VA, you have to have two P.E. credits to graduate. Ian got one this year (in a

modified P.E. class--which worked very well), but he won't be able to get the other credit while he's in the votech program.So he'll have to spend a fifth year in high school, during which time he'll also be able to complete the requirements for the Advanced Diploma. Yeay! He gets to learn an employable technical skill that he's interested in, and we still get to keep him on the college track so his options are still open. Plus he gets an extra year to mature.And, as icing on the cake, his math teacher and caseworker are planning to let him transfer into an honors math class in the next couple of weeks because he's been doing so well in the team-taught class.This IEP was definitely a win-win situation for us.Sue C. (I apologize for the strange line breaks. I'm not computer literate enough to be able to figure out what's going wrong when I

post.)

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

COOL BEANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S AWESOME NEWS !!!

Hugs

Wags! Wags! Wags!

Lowry

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."

Author Ben

From: suetois@...Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:00:50 +0000Subject: ( ) Good things do happen

I just thought I'd post about something good that's going on in my 16yo's life. We just had an IEP to determine where he'll be going academically for the next year--and planned for where he'll be going over the next few years. He'll be a junior next year. We've decided to send him to the district's votech program. He'll be in a small computer maintenance course (7 kids, one instructor) that runs for two years and leads to A+ certification. Normally that would mean that we'd have to pull him out of the college-track program and go for a Standard diploma instead of an Advanced Diploma. But. During his 8th grade IEP, his P.E. teacher suggested that we skip doing gym during his freshman year because Ian wouldn't be able to deal with the noise, competitive nature of activities, and social concerns required for dressing for P.E. Here in VA, you have to have two P.E. credits to graduate. Ian got one this year (in a modified P.E. class--which worked very well), but he won't be able to get the other credit while he's in the votech program.So he'll have to spend a fifth year in high school, during which time he'll also be able to complete the requirements for the Advanced Diploma. Yeay! He gets to learn an employable technical skill that he's interested in, and we still get to keep him on the college track so his options are still open. Plus he gets an extra year to mature.And, as icing on the cake, his math teacher and caseworker are planning to let him transfer into an honors math class in the next couple of weeks because he's been doing so well in the team-taught class.This IEP was definitely a win-win situation for us.Sue C. (I apologize for the strange line breaks. I'm not computer literate enough to be able to figure out what's going wrong when I post.)

We're in Northern VA too--Herndon. We're in different school districts, but we

must live

pretty close to each other--as these things go.

Sue C.

>

>

> Sue,

>

> Just curious-where about in VA are you from? <snip>

Great news and good to read about a school that actually works on

transition/academic plans like they should. Thanks for sharing.

>

> I just thought I'd post about something good that's going on in my

16yo's life. We just

> had an IEP to determine where he'll be going academically for the

next year--and planned

> for where he'll be going over the next few years.