RemedySpot.com

I'm home!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Janie. I am glad to hear you are doing well. I missed my hospital bed also.

Do you have to wear a brace on your neck? It hard to keep my back straight

and not twist, but man how do you keep your neck from moving.

Guest guest

Janie. I am glad to hear you are doing well. I missed my hospital bed also.

Do you have to wear a brace on your neck? It hard to keep my back straight

and not twist, but man how do you keep your neck from moving.

Guest guest

Hi Janie,

Speedy recovery hope all is going well. More updates when you get a

chance.

-Nick :o)

> Hi all, I'm home! Surgery went well. He only had to remove disc

> from C5-C6. He said that it was in worse shape than what he

thought

> and that C6-C7 was not bad so he left it. I have feeling fine as

> long as I have my pain meds. The only promblem that I have right

> now is getting comfortable to sleep. I sur miss the hosp bedd.

Just

> checking in -- will try to log on to morrw. I nned to get some

> sleep. Talk to you all later.

> Janie

> Srping, TX

Guest guest

Hi Janie,

Speedy recovery hope all is going well. More updates when you get a

chance.

-Nick :o)

thought

Just

> Janie

> Srping, TX

Guest guest

thought

Just

> Janie

> Srping, TX

Janie,

I am sooooooo glad you made it through surgery well. This really

helps me on the day that I have finally gotten my surgery

scheduled. Mine isn't until July 2nd, but it is encouraging to hear

about yours!

• 5 years later...

Good! And, now do exactly what the doctors orders!!! Rest!

Jan

Jan Rushen

Smile because it is contagious!!!!

From: Donna <AWEtism@...>Subject: ( ) I'm home! Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 5:33 PM

Thanks for your prayers and care.I'm home, and dong pretty well. Glad it's done!!!!Donna

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From: Donna <AWEtism@...>Subject: ( ) I'm home! Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 4:33 PM

Thanks for your prayers and care.I'm home, and dong pretty well. Glad it's done!!!!Donna

• 8 months later...
Guest guest

Contratulations Dyann - for doing so well, for being back home with your family and friends. I've been keeping up with your posts and have consistently been in awe of your progression, strength and courage. How long are you being tasked with 3000 - 4000 calories a day? I know that ice cream can certainly provide calories and some protien, but I'm sure others will give suggestions on more substantial food. What a plus, to be told to eat that much! Too bad we can't be ordered to do that then our appetites are up to par. I'm glad that you got a good night's sleep and hope for more to come. What a blessing to have your family and friends so positive and supportive. AND, keep up the good work!

G

[ ] I'm Home!

Hello Everyone,I am writing from home today. I can only sit for 10 minutes or so, But I wanted to get a short note off to everyone who has been so supportive so far. Thank you for prayers and words of encouragement. So much of this reminds me of being a 14 year old again, and yet so much has changed. I'm pretty happy most of the time (while the drugs are in high gear). Just the emotional and physical change from 4 days ago is amazing. They want me to eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day!!! I didn't eat that much even when I was 40 pounds overweight. I need to up my protein, but don't have a lot of appetite. Suggestions?Sleeping without the brace is getting easier, at first I was afraid I would break something. I was afraid to roll over. But last night, I got my first full night of sleep. What a blessing. I sometimes feel grinding and pops, I think they are OK. Today my two year old lay down next to me as I read 3 books to him....I can't tell you how much I needed that contact. My friends and neighbors have rallied around, we have a wonderful hot meal every evening. Thanks again everyone.-Dyann

Guest guest

Dyann,

'Glad you're sounding so well. Have you tried "Ensure" or the knock-off store brand protein drinks? My brother has Crohn's disease and has to use those during flare-ups. It helps him keep up the weight. We used to give them to patients at the nursing home, too. I took them for a while when I was having constant irritable bowel attacks since it was mild on my system while keeping me from losing too much weight.

Hope you continue to feel better daily!

Diane VDW

Michigan

Contratulations Dyann - for doing so well, for being back home with your family and friends. I've been keeping up with your posts and have consistently been in awe of your progression, strength and courage. How long are you being tasked with 3000 - 4000 calories a day? I know that ice cream can certainly provide calories and some protien, but I'm sure others will give suggestions on more substantial food. What a plus, to be told to eat that much! Too bad we can't be ordered to do that then our appetites are up to par. I'm glad that you got a good night's sleep and hope for more to come. What a blessing to have your family and friends so positive and supportive. AND, keep up the good work!

G

[ ] I'm Home!

Hello Everyone,I am writing from home today. I can only sit for 10 minutes or so, But I wanted to get a short note off to everyone who has been so supportive so far. Thank you for prayers and words of encouragement. So much of this reminds me of being a 14 year old again, and yet so much has changed. I'm pretty happy most of the time (while the drugs are in high gear). Just the emotional and physical change from 4 days ago is amazing. They want me to eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day!!! I didn't eat that much even when I was 40 pounds overweight. I need to up my protein, but don't have a lot of appetite. Suggestions?Sleeping without the brace is getting easier, at first I was afraid I would break something. I was afraid to roll over. But last night, I got my first full night of sleep. What a blessing. I sometimes feel grinding and pops, I think they are OK. Today my two year old lay down next to me as I read 3 books to him....I can't tell you how much I needed that contact. My friends and neighbors have rallied around, we have a wonderful hot meal every evening. Thanks again everyone.-Dyann

Click here to find a massage therapy school near you.

Guest guest

Dyann,

So happy you are home, there is nothing better than snuggling up with a child to make one feel better! As far as adding protein, someone mentioned ice cream, which is a good choice. What about adding a protein powder to a milk shake? That might be fairly easy to get down. Anyway, best wishes to you for a very speedy and successful recovery.

Jeanne

[ ] I'm Home!

Guest guest

Hi Dyann,

I am so happy that you are home and can have contact with us! What a joy that

must be to be able to read to your little boy. Be sure to rest a lot....you

have been through a huge assault to your body and need lots and lots of time to

heal. I am always keeping you in my prayers.

>

> Hello Everyone,

> I am writing from home today. I can only sit for 10 minutes or so, But I

wanted to get a short note off to everyone who has been so supportive so far.

Thank you for prayers and words of encouragement.

>

> So much of this reminds me of being a 14 year old again, and yet so much has

changed. I'm pretty happy most of the time (while the drugs are in high gear).

Just the emotional and physical change from 4 days ago is amazing. They want me

to eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day!!! I didn't eat that much even when I was 40

pounds overweight. I need to up my protein, but don't have a lot of appetite.

Suggestions?

>

> Sleeping without the brace is getting easier, at first I was afraid I would

break something. I was afraid to roll over. But last night, I got my first full

night of sleep. What a blessing.

> I sometimes feel grinding and pops, I think they are OK.

>

> Today my two year old lay down next to me as I read 3 books to him....I can't

tell you how much I needed that contact.

>

> My friends and neighbors have rallied around, we have a wonderful hot meal

every evening.

> Thanks again everyone.

> -Dyann

>

Guest guest

Hi Dyann,

It's so nice to see that you're up to writing a little bit! I've been thinking about you & I hope each day gets better and better. I know I will also be looking forward to reading with my kids afterwards. You will continue to be in my prayers....

take care,

lauren

From: dyanndiamond <dyanndiamond@...> Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:43:53 PMSubject: [ ] I'm Home!

Hello Everyone,I am writing from home today. I can only sit for 10 minutes or so, But I wanted to get a short note off to everyone who has been so supportive so far. Thank you for prayers and words of encouragement. So much of this reminds me of being a 14 year old again, and yet so much has changed. I'm pretty happy most of the time (while the drugs are in high gear). Just the emotional and physical change from 4 days ago is amazing. They want me to eat 3000 - 4000 calories a day!!! I didn't eat that much even when I was 40 pounds overweight. I need to up my protein, but don't have a lot of appetite. Suggestions?Sleeping without the brace is getting easier, at first I was afraid I would break something. I was afraid to roll over. But last night, I got my first full night of sleep. What a blessing. I sometimes feel grinding and pops, I think they are OK. Today my two year old lay down next to me as I read 3 books to

him....I can't tell you how much I needed that contact. My friends and neighbors have rallied around, we have a wonderful hot meal every evening. Thanks again everyone.-Dyann

Guest guest

Hey ,

I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.-Dyann

Guest guest

Hi Dyann,

My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd. I'll be leaving for St.Louis on May 30 and have pre-op appts on June 1st. Any tips you have for me would be greatly appreciated. How are you feeling? What did they do in your surgery?

feel well,

lauren

From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@...> Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:49:47 AMSubject: Re: [ ] I'm Home!

Hey ,

I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.

-Dyann

Guest guest

How did your myelogram go last week? I hope you've been doing well!

>

> Hi Dyann,

> My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd.  I'll be leaving for St..Louis on May 30

and have pre-op appts on June 1st.  Any tips you have for me would be greatly

appreciated.  How are you feeling?  What did they do in your surgery?

> feel well,

> lauren

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@...>

>

> Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:49:47 AM

> Subject: Re: [ ] I'm Home!

>

>

>

>

>

> Hey ,

> I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date

yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great

tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.

> -Dyann

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

Thanks for checking in. The time is racing towards my surgery!

The myelogram itself wasn't bad. I went in with a headache, so that really stayed with me for the whole day. That night I had a bad case of restless legs in the hotel room, and was up all night in the bathroom. They tell you to drink a lot to flush out the dye, so I was making hourly visits to the bathroom. I met with the doctor early the next morning and went over the test, and the surgery. It's hard to believe how close it is now! They are planning to fuse me to the sacrum, and to do 2 decompressions at L3-4 and L4-5. He is removing my rod and putting in rods, hooks and screws.

You were so right when you mentioned the different emotions that come up before surgery. VERY TRUE!

How are you doing?

thanks again,

lauren

From: rebeccamaas <rebeccamaas@...> Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

,How did your myelogram go last week? I hope you've been doing well!>> Hi Dyann,> My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd. I'll be leaving for St..Louis on May 30 and have pre-op appts on June 1st. Any tips you have for me would be greatly appreciated. How are you feeling? What did they do in your surgery?> feel well,> lauren> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@ ...>> > Sent:

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:49:47 AM> Subject: Re: [ ] I'm Home!> > > > > > Hey , > I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.> -Dyann>

Guest guest

Hello ,I know what you mean about your emotions. They just bubble-up at the weirdest times. I know I'm a very level headed, optimistic, in control person, so I'd get very upset when I broke down for no apparent reason. Logically we need to follow this path, but... damn, why us?!!! 14 days out, I find a lot of those emotions are fading. Now that it's done, I wonder why I made such a big fuss (because we need to release those emotions).You will do great. My favorite piece of advise before hand was:"Imagine the person you want to be afterward and hold on to that image."It gave me a goal to work toward.I'm making a list of good ideas and examples for the hospital while they are still fresh on my mind. Because I can only sit for about 10-15 minutes at a

time, it's taking a while to write. Hang in there.-DyannFrom: Luff <lufflauren@...>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

Thanks for checking in.  The time is racing towards my surgery! 

The myelogram itself wasn't bad.  I went in with a headache, so that really stayed with me for the whole day.  That night I had a bad case of restless legs in the hotel room, and was up all night in the bathroom.  They tell you to drink a lot to flush out the dye, so I was making hourly visits to the bathroom.  I met with the doctor early the next morning and went over the test, and the surgery.  It's hard to believe how close it is now!  They are planning to fuse me to the sacrum, and to do 2 decompressions at L3-4 and L4-5.  He is removing my rod and putting in rods, hooks and screws. 

You were so right when you mentioned the different emotions that come up before surgery.  VERY TRUE! 

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

From: rebeccamaas <rebeccamaas@...> Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

,How did your myelogram go last week? I hope you've been doing well!>> Hi Dyann,> My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd.  I'll be leaving for St..Louis on May 30 and have pre-op appts on June 1st.  Any tips you have for me would be greatly appreciated.  How are you feeling?  What did they do in your surgery?> feel well,> lauren> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@ ...>> > Sent:

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:49:47 AM> Subject: Re: [ ] I'm Home!> > > > > > Hey , > I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.> -Dyann>

Guest guest

Thanks Dyann!  You are so thoughtful..  I'll be looking forward to your list whenever it's ready.  It must be hard to have the sitting limitations.  How has your recovery been?  Do you need a lot of help with things? How are you feeling?Take good care,Sent from my iPhoneOn May 8, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@...> wrote:

Hello ,I know what you mean about your emotions. They just bubble-up at the weirdest times. I know I'm a very level headed, optimistic, in control person, so I'd get very upset when I broke down for no apparent reason. Logically we need to follow this path, but... damn, why us?!!! 14 days out, I find a lot of those emotions are fading. Now that it's done, I wonder why I made such a big fuss (because we need to release those emotions).You will do great. My favorite piece of advise before hand was:"Imagine the person you want to be afterward and hold on to that image."It gave me a goal to work toward.I'm making a list of good ideas and examples for the hospital while they are still fresh on my mind. Because I can only sit for about

10-15 minutes at a

time, it's taking a while to write. Hang in there.-DyannFrom: Luff <lufflauren >Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

The myelogram itself wasn't bad.  I went in with a headache, so that really stayed with me for the whole day.  That night I had a bad case of restless legs in the hotel room, and was up all night in the bathroom.  They tell you to drink a lot to flush out the dye, so I was making hourly visits to the bathroom.  I met with the doctor early the next morning and went over the test, and the surgery.  It's hard to believe how close it is now!  They are planning to fuse me to the sacrum, and to do 2 decompressions at L3-4 and L4-5.  He is removing my rod and putting in rods, hooks and screws. 

You were so right when you mentioned the different emotions that come up before surgery.  VERY TRUE! 

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

From: rebeccamaas <rebeccamaas > Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

,How did your myelogram go last week? I hope you've been doing well!>> Hi Dyann,> My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd.  I'll be leaving for St..Louis on May 30 and have pre-op appts on June 1st.  Any tips you have for me would be greatly appreciated.  How are you feeling?  What did they do in your surgery?> feel well,> lauren> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@ ...>> > Sent:

Guest guest

Recovery is not nearly as bad as I had planned. The drugs keep the pain manageable. I've arranged to have someone stay with me 24/7 for the first few weeks (Mostly family members). Although, I do most of the work myself. They are mostly here incase I get myself into a situation I can't handle alone. Like get things from low shelves. I make them walk in front of me as I go down the stairs, or walk beside me while I walk around my cul-du-sac. I find taking everything in small bites works best for me. Take my morning shower, lay down and rest. Blow dry my hair. Lay down and rest. etc. The hardest part about the sitting is the limitations being on-line... my big connection to the outside world. We brought my computer into the dining room and went wireless. I'm also having trouble eating

3000-4000 calories a day. The meds upset my stomach and I'm not really hungry. The first time I've got a pass to eat all I want and I'd rather not... bummer. They also constipate me, which appears to be everyones issue. The trick seems to be finding the right dose of stool softener. I usually fade around 8 pm. Takes an hour to get ready for bed.When all is said and done, I think I'm doing rather well. I feel better and stronger everyday. I have to stop myself from over doing it sometimes. I think my next big hurdle will be cutting back on the meds. I try every so often to take one less or go an extra hour, although I think I'm trying too early. Dr. Horton's nurse is constantly warning me to take it easy, don't rush. -DyannFrom: Luff <lufflauren (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

From: rebeccamaas <rebeccamaas> Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

Guest guest

Dyann,You sound in such good spirits, so organized, and doing so well.  I'm so excited to hear this.  I think a lot of us pre-revisionees are very nervous of what happens after surgery and to hear great outcomes makes it much easier to handle when the time comes.  How is your son with all this?  Is he around during the day, what is he able to understand and are there any issues with you not being able to pick him up (I'm assuming you can't yet).  Continue to keep us posted, you're very inspiring.

DebbieOn Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@...> wrote:

Recovery is not nearly as bad as I had planned. The drugs keep the pain manageable. I've arranged to have someone stay with me 24/7 for the first few weeks (Mostly family members). Although, I do most of the work myself. They are mostly here incase I get myself into a situation I can't handle alone. Like get things from low shelves. I make them walk in front of me as I go down the stairs, or walk beside me while I walk around my cul-du-sac. 

I find taking everything in small bites works best for me. Take my morning shower, lay down and rest. Blow dry my hair. Lay down and rest. etc. The hardest part about the sitting is the limitations being on-line... my big connection to the outside world. We brought my computer into the dining room and went wireless. 

I'm also having trouble eating

3000-4000 calories a day. The meds upset my stomach and I'm not really hungry. The first time I've got a pass to eat all I want and I'd rather not... bummer. They also constipate me, which appears to be everyones issue. The trick seems to be finding the right dose of stool softener. 

I usually fade around 8 pm. Takes an hour to get ready for bed.When all is said and done, I think I'm doing rather well. I feel better and stronger everyday. I have to stop myself from over doing it sometimes. I think my next big hurdle will be cutting back on the meds. I try every so often to take one less or go an extra hour, although I think I'm trying too early. Dr. Horton's nurse is constantly warning me to take it easy, don't rush. 

-Dyann

From: Luff <lufflauren (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

,How did your myelogram go last week? I hope you've been doing well!>

> Hi Dyann,> My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd.  I'll be leaving for St..Louis on May 30 and have pre-op appts on June 1st.  Any tips you have for me would be greatly appreciated.  How are you feeling?  What did they do in your surgery?

> feel well,> lauren> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@ ...>>

> Sent:

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:49:47 AM> Subject: Re: [ ] I'm Home!> > > > > > Hey , > I tried to go back and see how far you are in your journey. Do you have a date yet? I missed a lot of emails while I was in the hospital. I've got some great tips for the hospital that a couple of Dr. Friends of mine taught me. Take care.

> -Dyann>

Guest guest

You are such an inspiration, Dyann!  That's great someone is able to be with you for a while.  How old are your kids? My boys are 8 & 10.  I often wonder how my abilities will be effected caring for them the months following surgery.  We will have some help, too.I'm so glad you're having a good recovery. Don't push yourself,  I know that's easy to do!Feel wellSent from my iPhoneOn May 8, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Dyann Diamond <dyanndiamond@...> wrote:

Recovery is not nearly as bad as I had planned. The drugs keep the pain manageable. I've arranged to have someone stay with me 24/7 for the first few weeks (Mostly family members). Although, I do most of the work myself. They are mostly here incase I get myself into a situation I can't handle alone. Like get things from low shelves. I make them walk in front of me as I go down the stairs, or walk beside me while I walk around my cul-du-sac. I find taking everything in small bites works best for me. Take my morning shower, lay down and rest. Blow dry my hair. Lay down and rest. etc. The hardest part about the sitting is the limitations being on-line... my big connection to the outside world.. We brought my computer into the dining room and went wireless. I'm also having

trouble eating

3000-4000 calories a day. The meds upset my stomach and I'm not really hungry. The first time I've got a pass to eat all I want and I'd rather not... bummer. They also constipate me, which appears to be everyones issue. The trick seems to be finding the right dose of stool softener. I usually fade around 8 pm. Takes an hour to get ready for bed.When all is said and done, I think I'm doing rather well. I feel better and stronger everyday. I have to stop myself from over doing it sometimes. I think my next big hurdle will be cutting back on the meds. I try every so often to take one less or go an extra hour, although I think I'm trying too early. Dr. Horton's nurse is constantly warning me to take it easy, don't rush. -DyannFrom: Luff <lufflauren (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

From: rebeccamaas <rebeccamaas> Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 1:50:25 PMSubject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

Guest guest

My boys are 2 and 10. Before the surgery I asked the 10 year old if he was OK with all this, did he have any worries. He said he was fine as long as I didn't die... How is that for brutal honesty? The one thing we all contemplate, but don't say allowed.During the surgeries we had my oldest spend the night with some of his friends and called in updates. That way he wasn't bored and worried for 7 hours.When they visited in the hospital, I thought the two year old would be the frightened one, but actually it was my 10 year old who looked scared. I think the shock of seeing me swollen and helpless got to him. He asks all the time if I'm feeling better. He's been a great help. I'm even comfortable being left alone with him if my husband needs to run an errand. Luckily he is in school and car pool is our

biggest dilemma. Lots a helping hands website has been a blessing for things like carpool, groceries and meals. We haven't cooked a single meal in 4 weeks. People really want to help.We opted for full time day care while I'm recovering for the 2 year old. He's clever and figured out pretty quickly mom can't physically control him right now. I can't even lean down and pull something out of his hand if he is on the floor or change a diaper. I think my days of picking him up are over. We're still working on the best way to get hugs. He will lay next to me on the bed we put downstairs and let me read to him. Somebody in the forum gave me a great idea. I put a picture of me and my two year old on his wall. My husband said as they would get ready for bed, He would point at it and say,"Mommy and Noah" and throw kisses at

it. We started getting him used to day care by increasing his stay there a little more each day. I hate the idea of him being full time, but I don't have the strength to watch him myself. He's too active. He is picking up some bad habits, like tantrums, but he is two. I figure millions of other children are in day care and they survive. So will we.-DyannFrom: Luff <lufflauren (DOT) com>Subject: Re: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 9:13 AM

Hi ,

How are you doing? 

thanks again,

lauren

Guest guest

Dyann,

I think you are doing very well...dont expect too much and please be very

cautious about cutting back on your meds before your surgeon suggests. I have

seen many a member go down that road and have it boomerang on them. There is a

fine balance between pain control and regaining mobility and strength. I know

when you feel like the constipating effects of pain control are part of the

problem and it is tempting to try to solve that problem by pulling back on the

meds....but you may find that is not really a solution at all. My best advice is

to talk it over with your surgeon, or his nurse, and see if there isn't another

solution.

One thing I learned in my recovery was that acetaminophen boosts the effect of

opiates, so when I was ready to pull back on pain meds I upped the tylenol with

my doctors blessing (you must be very careful about toxicity with

acetaminophen). I think I had a fairly quick transition off pain meds...and was

only using tylenol by 8 weeks....so try not to think that if you don't get off

pain meds at 3-4 weeks that its not going to happen! Just let your surgeon

continue to exert his expertise and stay within his recommendations.

The other point I want to make is that while you are in this 4-8 week post op

phase it can be almost euphoric. You have survived a tremendous challenge and

are doing well. It may even feel like you have over subscribed your friends and

family for support....but my advice is not to " pull the plug " on your support

network...because in truth the reason you may be feeling so well and doing well

is for just that reason! The other thing to be aware of is that as you slowly

transition back to your " life " you are still going to be needy for awhile, and

you do not want your network to think that you are more capable than you

actually are. What can happen is that you will then find yourself in situations

that you do not want to be in....you know, the ordinary household

things....lugging groceries in to the house, transferring wet laundy, vacuuming,

picking up things....all the kinds of chores that really need to be delegated

for a good long while....whatever time your surgeon suggests...but for the sake

of arguement...probably at least 6 months. Whenever you think to yourself " oh, I

will just do it myself even though I know I shouldn't " .... LISTEN to yourself!

There would be nothing worse than going through all that you have only to have

your fusions fail!

If folks around you see you doing your old routine, they are not going to be

available when you need them...so for now, lay low, rest and recover and in the

end that will speed up your recovery...honest. Err on the side of caution here.

At least that is my $.02.

Take Care, Cam

Guest guest

Cam,yes, mom :)You are a wise woman.-DyannFrom: cammaltby <cammaltby@...>Subject: [ ] Re: I'm Home! Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009, 9:52 AMDyann,I think you are doing very well...dont expect too much and please be very cautious about cutting back on your meds before your surgeon suggests. I have seen many a member go down that road and have it boomerang on them. There is a fine balance between pain control and regaining mobility and strength. I know when you feel like the constipating effects of pain control are part of the problem and it

is tempting to try to solve that problem by pulling back on the meds....but you may find that is not really a solution at all. My best advice is to talk it over with your surgeon, or his nurse, and see if there isn't another solution.One thing I learned in my recovery was that acetaminophen boosts the effect of opiates, so when I was ready to pull back on pain meds I upped the tylenol with my doctors blessing (you must be very careful about toxicity with acetaminophen). I think I had a fairly quick transition off pain meds...and was only using tylenol by 8 weeks....so try not to think that if you don't get off pain meds at 3-4 weeks that its not going to happen! Just let your surgeon continue to exert his expertise and stay within his recommendations.The other point I want to make is that while you are in this 4-8 week post op phase it can be almost euphoric. You have survived a tremendous challenge and are doing well. It may even feel

like you have over subscribed your friends and family for support....but my advice is not to "pull the plug" on your support network...because in truth the reason you may be feeling so well and doing well is for just that reason! The other thing to be aware of is that as you slowly transition back to your "life" you are still going to be needy for awhile, and you do not want your network to think that you are more capable than you actually are. What can happen is that you will then find yourself in situations that you do not want to be in....you know, the ordinary household things....lugging groceries in to the house, transferring wet laundy, vacuuming, picking up things....all the kinds of chores that really need to be delegated for a good long while....whatever time your surgeon suggests...but for the sake of arguement...probably at least 6 months. Whenever you think to yourself "oh, I will just do it myself even though I know I shouldn't".... LISTEN

to yourself! There would be nothing worse than going through all that you have only to have your fusions fail!If folks around you see you doing your old routine, they are not going to be available when you need them...so for now, lay low, rest and recover and in the end that will speed up your recovery...honest. Err on the side of caution here.  At least that is my $.02.Take Care, Cam------------------------------------scoliosis veterans * flatback sufferers * revision candidates