RemedySpot.com

I'm home!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm listening into this conversation and taking notes regarding mine upcoming.

Thanks!

C

"No storm can shake my inmost calm, when to that Rock I'm clinging........ "

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of cammaltbySent: Saturday, May 09, 2009 9:52 AM Subject: [ ] Re: I'm Home!

Dyann,I think you are doing very well...dont expect too much and please be very cautious about cutting back on your meds before your surgeon suggests. I have seen many a member go down that road and have it boomerang on them. There is a fine balance between pain control and regaining mobility and strength. I know when you feel like the constipating effects of pain control are part of the problem and it is tempting to try to solve that problem by pulling back on the meds....but you may find that is not really a solution at all. My best advice is to talk it over with your surgeon, or his nurse, and see if there isn't another solution.One thing I learned in my recovery was that acetaminophen boosts the effect of opiates, so when I was ready to pull back on pain meds I upped the tylenol with my doctors blessing (you must be very careful about toxicity with acetaminophen). I think I had a fairly quick transition off pain meds...and was only using tylenol by 8 weeks....so try not to think that if you don't get off pain meds at 3-4 weeks that its not going to happen! Just let your surgeon continue to exert his expertise and stay within his recommendations.The other point I want to make is that while you are in this 4-8 week post op phase it can be almost euphoric. You have survived a tremendous challenge and are doing well. It may even feel like you have over subscribed your friends and family for support....but my advice is not to "pull the plug" on your support network...because in truth the reason you may be feeling so well and doing well is for just that reason! The other thing to be aware of is that as you slowly transition back to your "life" you are still going to be needy for awhile, and you do not want your network to think that you are more capable than you actually are. What can happen is that you will then find yourself in situations that you do not want to be in....you know, the ordinary household things....lugging groceries in to the house, transferring wet laundy, vacuuming, picking up things....all the kinds of chores that really need to be delegated for a good long while....whatever time your surgeon suggests...but for the sake of arguement...probably at least 6 months. Whenever you think to yourself "oh, I will just do it myself even though I know I shouldn't".... LISTEN to yourself! There would be nothing worse than going through all that you have only to have your fusions fail!If folks around you see you doing your old routine, they are not going to be available when you need them...so for now, lay low, rest and recover and in the end that will speed up your recovery...honest. Err on the side of caution here. At least that is my $.02.Take Care, Cam