RemedySpot.com

Summer and older kids??? What do you do??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What do you all do with your older kids over the summer? My DS is 13, and while letting a 13 year old stay home during the summer on his/her own might be perfectly "normal", my Aspie boy can't handle it. For a few hours, or even a couple of days during the day would be just fine, but entire (or even most) of the summer is out of the question.However, I've had a terrible time finding programs that (a) allow kids that are as old as DS, (B) that we can get him to and from (the reason I say this is that alot of the day camps I've seen at places like the science museum, etc, are half days or end at 3 or something, which would be difficult if not impossible to deal with) and © are within his comfort zone. He goes to Boys and Girls Club after school a couple of days a week. More for social interaction than anything else. But, year round (during breaks and vacations, too), they don't open until 2pm. And, cost is a

factor. We can't use pre-tax dollars anymore for child care is they are above 12. Any programs I have found have been so very expensive. Anyone aware of any assistance I might be able to tap into? Both DH and I have to work and aren't able to take a big block of time off for the summer. DH does have some flexibility working from home, but it isn't something we can truly depend upon for the entire summer. What do you all do?

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.