RemedySpot.com

RE: Why are you doing this diet?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Our family is doing the diet primarily for my oldest son, who has had the classic triad of eczema, allergies, and asthma for most of his 7 years. He has had an intestinal permeability test and was found to have leaky gut, has also tested positive for many many food intolerances, and he just has the basic GAPS profile. The rest of the family is doing it in part out of solidarity but also for these reasons: ds#2 has frequent diarrhea and/or loose stools (and was also a c-section baby); dh gets sick all the time and seems to have a very weak immune system, and had years of antibiotics when younger; and I have chronic hand eczema and other symptoms that things are not quite in balance. To me, doing this feels like a way to try to get back to where we should be.

ds#1 also has recently diagnosed tooth decay problems that are causing me to realize that the leaky gut has affected his ability to absorb the nutrients that strengthen teeth. So that's a more recent motivation as well.

On that topic, the SCD diet still seems rather sugar-heavy (especially as I struggle to figure out what snacks to give my always-hungry boys - one can only eat so many nuts!), and it seems to lean towards honey-sweetened muffins or fruit or dried fruit, all of which are not great for the calcium-phosphorus balance that keeps teeth strong. Does any one have any ideas on kid-pleasing snack items that aren't sweet?

[ ] Why are you doing this diet?

I am curious why everyone is doing this diet? Is it for known problems like autism, diagnosed gut issues or just for a healthy diet?I myself, have been doing Bee's candida diet for 3 1/2 mos. and I am just starting to see the benefits of that. I nor my children have any diagnosed problems. I just wasn't feeling my best in my late forties and wanted to get things on the right track for a healthy future.My children have had a lot of dental decay no matter what we have tried over the years and believe me, we have tried many many things. Dr. McBride's chapter on the gut and hydrochloric acid really clicked and made so much sense to me. I really do believe my children have more hidden digestive issues inherited from me and my husband so I am starting the rest of the family on this diet this week. I would really like them all to try the diet I am on but don't think they would cooperate well at this point, so this diet is one step closer!So, let us all know why you or your children on the GAP's diet and any success stories would be great inspiration too!TIA, Shari